Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

After the poor showings overall against Meath and Limerick im worried about Sligo.
    We could either kick on and get by Sligo convincingly or struggle and maybe lose.
    We are so unpredictable this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Dcully wrote: »
    After the poor showings overall against Meath and Limerick im worried about Sligo.
    We could either kick on and get by Sligo convincingly or struggle and maybe lose.
    We are so unpredictable this year.

I think we're very predictable actually. We play worse then expected against everyone. Possibly because Kildare are over-hyped. We're a Quarter-Final team, nothing more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

One would have to fancy Kildare coming off the back off two wins rather than Sligo who were pretty poor in the connacht final.Having said that given that Sligo play the sort of game Kildare seem to struggle against , A few weeks regroup and with Kildare only seven days after being taken to extra time Sligo just might surprise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Was only in the last 10 mins or so and extra time when Kildare really broke Limerick down. It's not because Limerick were tiring it's because Kildare got their finger out and changed their gameplan. The long ball in to O'Connor is far too easy to defend against. Limerick were able to play a man just in front of him and any long ball won meant he was quickly swallowed up. Sligo are surely basing their game plan on exactly the same tactic from Kildare again and that's also what they did to Mayo.

Run at them from deep, players overlapping, good diagonal balls and you'll draw them out and only then pop off the pass to the player coming from deep. We absolutely destroyed Limerick when we played like this. We do the same against Sligo and I'd be confident of beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Kildare are over hyped Limerick were out in their feet with 10 mins to go (extra time the week before probably cost them as well as missing a few players ) so think Sligo will edge a poor contest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Felexicon wrote: »
    Cool good to know.

Back on topic I think Kildare will have far too much for Sligo on Saturday.
    This Kildare team are a serious outfit and you don't become a bad team overnight. They were poor against Meath, probably didn't take Limerick seriously enough but showed the gulf in class in extra time. They are slowly gaining momentum and another improvement in Saturdays game would leave them fearing none of the provincial champions.
    Kildare will be a tough task for any of the 4 out of Dublin,Cork,Mayo and Donegal. They'll be ready having played week in week out while the others have got an extended break. With the obvious fitness work and squad use I just don't see Kildare losing because of fatigue

Ok here we go again. I'm not going to agree with you.:)

This Kildare team were a serious outfit but some for reason or another we're looking very flat this year. Despite our success in Breffni it was obvious to me that there still was something missing. We scored 3-20 but people seem to forget Cavan kicked 15/16 wides. The Kildare of last year wouldn't have given any team that many chances. That statistic was glossed over because of SJ scoring a point.

I had serious reservations on Kildare going into last week and there is nothing I've seen in the Limerick game to ease my worries. We had no ideas how to break down the Limerick defensive system. Yes we pulled away in et but Limerick were out on their feet by then and that probably made us look decent.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I'll be bringing a spare of underwear with me this weekend as well. It'll be another war of attrition and its going to be mighty tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Laois will surely look at Limerick's tactics against you guys, and setup their defence in a similar system. Limerick played no.10 Padraig Browne as a sweeper in front of their half back line, and it was very effective in stopping Kildare's runners - until that injury time Bolton point that is!

I would still expect you to beat Laois. But would worry when you come up against the likes of Donegal, Cork or Kerry. It's a little even more worrying when you consider Limerick were missing probably their two best players in John Galvin and Stephen Lavin. You need more diagonal ball to go into Doyle and Smyth. I feel there is an over-reliance on hitting O'Connor with high ball. Stephen Lucey had him in his pocket for much of Saturday night.

I really hope Kildare progress to the semis at least. I've yet to see a better more passionate group of fans in the championship. A1 in terms of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I think Kildare are far more physical than this Sligo team and over 70 minutes that will tell. Also the only option Sligo had in the Connaught final off the bench was a very old looking Eammon O'Hara.
    The only thing that Sligo can hope to do is get off to a blistering start and have the ball in the net in the first 15 mins.
    I think Kildare are a classic case of simply beating what's on front of them. When they face tougher opposition in Croke Park they'll raise thier game.

Jesus I'm starting to sound like I want Kildare to win.

grenache wrote: »
    SLIGO will surely look at Limerick's tactics against you guys, and setup their defence in a similar system. Limerick played no.10 Padraig Browne as a sweeper in front of their half back line, and it was very effective in stopping Kildare's runners - until that injury time Bolton point that is!

I would still expect you to beat SLIGO. But would worry when you come up against the likes of Donegal, Cork or Kerry. It's a little even more worrying when you consider Limerick were missing probably their two best players in John Galvin and Stephen Lavin. You need more diagonal ball to go into Doyle and Smyth. I feel there is an over-reliance on hitting O'Connor with high ball. Stephen Lucey had him in his pocket for much of Saturday night.

I really hope Kildare progress to the semis at least. I've yet to see a better more passionate group of fans in the championship. A1 in terms of support.
    FYP!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Felexicon wrote: »
    SLIGO will surely look at Limerick's tactics against you guys, and setup their defence in a similar system. Limerick played no.10 Padraig Browne as a sweeper in front of their half back line, and it was very effective in stopping Kildare's runners - until that injury time Bolton point that is!

I would still expect you to beat SLIGO. But would worry when you come up against the likes of Donegal, Cork or Kerry. It's a little even more worrying when you consider Limerick were missing probably their two best players in John Galvin and Stephen Lavin. You need more diagonal ball to go into Doyle and Smyth. I feel there is an over-reliance on hitting O'Connor with high ball. Stephen Lucey had him in his pocket for much of Saturday night.

FYP!!!!:D
    Sorry my bad! Got ye confused with Meath there for a moment. You'll still beat Sligo. And should do so comfortably too.

Best of luck to ye.

• Advertisement

Sorry my bad! Got ye confused with Meath there for a moment. You'll still beat Sligo. And should do so comfortably too.

Best of luck to ye.
    Eh.......Are you fúking with me right now

CHECK MY LOCATION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Back on topic!!

My team for Saturday:

1)Connolly.
    2)P Kelly
    3)Foley
    4)Lyons
    5)McGrillen
    6)Bolton
    7)E Doyle
    8)R Kelly
    9)P O'Neill
    10)E O'Flaherty
    11)Conway
    12)Kavanagh
    13)JD
    14)TOC
    15)Johnston

That would leave a decent bench of, Smith, Callaghan (even if only 70%), White, McLoughlin and Earley.

Also good result for the U21 hurlers tonight.

Leinster U21 'A' Hurling Final
    Wednesday 25th July 2012
    Kildare 2-14 Meath 1-16 Result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Grenache nice of you to say so about the kildare support. We mighten have any major silverware of yet and the same one liners are throwing at us year on year out but your right we do have remarkable support. They follow the team and get behind them no questions asked. You only have to look at the cavan game. That was an away game after a meath loss. 11,000 turned up. An army of white also rolled into portlaoise on saturday last. They are very passionate about their football and their team especially this team under mcgeeney. I hope one day the kildare supporters will get their day in the sun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Grenache nice of you to say so about the kildare support. We mighten have any major silverware of yet and the same one liners are throwing at us year on year out but your right we do have remarkable support. They follow the team and get behind them no questions asked. You only have to look at the cavan game. That was an away game after a meath loss. 11,000 turned up. An army of white also rolled into portlaoise on saturday last. They are very passionate about their football and their team especially this team under mcgeeney. I hope one day the kildare supporters will get their day in the sun.

The fans on Saturday night were very definitely the extra man, the support when the team needed it was superb, fantastic atmosphere.
    Whenever we are playing in Portlaoise my wife usually travels too but to visit her good friend who lives near the stadium, its also a handy parking spot for me :)
    But they were saying they have never heard such a loud crowd as Saturday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

This thread is not the same without The Dark Knight!!!

This thread is not the same without The Dark Knight!!!

Or lemlin :o:p:D

Dcully we always travel in numbers but lets hope that many wont be to put off by the 6:30 start and get behind them in Roscommon to. The kildare supporters have been tremendous so far in the qualifier campaign. Lets do all we can to help the lads saturday evening. They are 70 mins away from a quarter final spot. They will raise their game. They are going to have to. Play to our full potential and we put ourselves in a good position. Play like we did first half v limerick and well...lets not go there. Any news on the team? Have they been named? Team selection will be interesting although expect changes to the one that is named. Midfield pairing? Foley to stay put or not that is the question...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

realies wrote: »
    Or lemlin :o:p:D

The voice of reason. I check out this forum to read Lemlin's posts. The kildare reaction to the truth amuses me. ;)

Back to whats important. The qualifier match v sligo. We are still in the running. A huge performance is going to be needed. Really looking forward to it. Come on the lilywhites.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Kildare are not in the top 4 teams in ireland at the moment based on previous performances in the past 6 weeks.
    Nevertheless we remain in the competition and will battle on into the next round and can only take one game at a time. Ultimately, Kildare are a better team than Sligo based on statistics since January should win.
    What make me nervous though is that when plan A - i.e. kick the ball to O Connor to Lay off doesnt work why do we keep trying over and over again? I thought that we could have learned something from the Donegal game last year? obviously not.
    Sligo will be a similar but better set up to Limerick (who should have beaten us had they played past 60 minutes). How about O connor at Mid field instead and let Smith/Kavanagh/Fogarty/Johnston upfront? too radical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

kencoo wrote: »
    How about O connor at Mid field instead and let Smith/Kavanagh/Fogarty/Johnston upfront? too radical?
    I dont know how this hasnt been tried out before now. Its a good idea and might work but we should have known whether it was an option during the league instead of trying it out for the first time at the tail end of July!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Hey, anyone going to Roscommon tomorrow evening but don't have tickets. I have two free ones up for grabs. Send me a private message if interested.

Mods if not allowed please remove. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Did a quick preview on the game if anyone's interested here:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/sligo-vs-kildare-gaa-football-qualifier-preview-2012/

Where are all the kildare posters, Still celebrating :-)

Whats your thoughts on the draw and will/are you up to beat Cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

As lads have said before, the Championship starts now, there are no easy games from here on in so you just gotta play who you're given. Cork is a tough draw and they are favourites for Sam .... so it'll suit us best going in as underdogs ..... Kildare have'nt reached the level supporters know they are capable of, so I hope there's a big game in them next weekend ..... getting scores on the board in our big problem, we dont have natural forwards and rely too much on a one dimensional tactic of hoofing it up to Thomas O Connor ..... what happened to the shoot on sight tactic ??? .... At least the regular games in the qualifers should be a beneifit to Kildare, Cork have'nt played in a few weeks, the clare game was a joke, and I dont think Kerry showed up in the semi .... it could be the perfect time to play them, but we need every break we can get ..... and please no dodgy decisions !!!!

As lads have said before, the Championship starts now, there are no easy games from here on in so you just gotta play who you're given. Cork is a tough draw and they are favourites for Sam .... so it'll suit us best going in as underdogs ..... Kildare have'nt reached the level supporters know they are capable of, so I hope there's a big game in them next weekend ..... getting scores on the board in our big problem, we dont have natural forwards and rely too much on a one dimensional tactic of hoofing it up to Thomas O Connor ..... what happened to the shoot on sight tactic ??? .... At least the regular games in the qualifers should be a beneifit to Kildare, Cork have'nt played in a few weeks, the clare game was a joke, and I dont think Kerry showed up in the semi .... it could be the perfect time to play them, but we need every break we can get ..... and please no dodgy decisions !!!!
    I think you have one of the most natural corner forwards in the country in Alan Smith but McGeeney seems to prefare to play him in the half forward line for some reason. I think Kildare will put it up to Cork and ask a lot of questions that Cork haven't faced this year. You will need to be on top of your game and get a couple of lucky breaks to beat them, but this Kildare team are more than capable of doing it. If the bookies give me 3/1 or more I'll have a few quid on the Lillies

As a fellow leinster team I would be hoping that you beat the Red rebels next week, We having seen the Cork machine in action for some weeks, hopefully they have gone red rusty as imo you will need to be right up there with them to beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Kildare vs Cork next Sunday in Croke Park at 2pm followed by Kerry vs Donegal at 4pm. Fixture confirmed by the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Any Idea if the hill is open for this one lads? Im not too optimistic after last years quarter final:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should be an interesting game, but I think we will have enough to beat Kildare by 4 points I reckon. We've not played in a while but hopefully that won't go against us too much.

Advertisement