Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Funfair wrote: »
    One would imagine they would when half the population of Ferrybank are under the city council control..

It's not like the City Council have an army of occupation controlling peoples movements. Its a local authority.

If Kilkenny CoCo are providing the service why should residents of Waterford City Co benefit. Are residents of Kilkenny CoCo allowed borrow books from the Waterford Library? I don't know.

Its a simple question, I'm just looking for the answer rather than speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

you're right, its a simple question!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

dayshah wrote: »
    It's not like the City Council have an army of occupation controlling peoples movements. Its a local authority.

If Kilkenny CoCo are providing the service why should residents of Waterford City Co benefit. Are residents of Kilkenny CoCo allowed borrow books from the Waterford Library? I don't know.

Its a simple question, I'm just looking for the answer rather than speculation.

Your seriously asking if a Library in Ferrybank will refuse entry if you have Waterford in your address ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Funfair wrote: »
    Your seriously asking if a Library in Ferrybank will refuse entry if you have Waterford in your address ?

Well, refuse membership. Libraries are a service provided and funded by local authorities, so might only provide these services to residents of their catchment areas. The Ferrybank Shopping Centre Library will be funded by rates paid to the Kilkenny CoCo.

So I have two, very simple, questions:

1) Are residents of Kilkenny CoCo allowed to borrow books from the Waterford Municipal Library?

2) Will residents of Waterford City Co be allowed to borrow books from the Ferrybank Library?

Please, just simple answers if anyone has them, rather than guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

dayshah wrote: »
    Well, refuse membership. Libraries are a service provided and funded by local authorities, so might only provide these services to residents of their catchment areas. The Ferrybank Shopping Centre Library will be funded by rates paid to the Kilkenny CoCo.

So I have two, very simple, questions:

1) Are residents of Kilkenny CoCo allowed to borrow books from the Waterford Municipal Library?

2) Will residents of Waterford City Co be allowed to borrow books from the Ferrybank Library?

Please, just simple answers if anyone has them, rather than guesses.

1) yes
    2) yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yep, I'm a member of the Waterford City library and the Kilkenny CC mobile library .

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waterford City Council Library Services

Waterford City Libraries accepts anyone for membership who can provide photo ID and proof of address and pay their membership fee, regardless of where you are resident. As far as I know, Kilkenny County libraries operates the same way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

When will the city library have their next amnesty...eh...those books were just resting in my account...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waterford City Council Library Services

You'll be the first to know, don't worry! :)

Appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

When will the city library have their next amnesty...eh...those books were just resting in my account...

They were resting there along time ted!!:D

Shut up Dou....Dark Shadow!

So, with 2 weeks to go till April, there doesnt seem to be much activity on any other unit apart from the library.

not a good sign when the library gets a prime frontage location....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

From today's Independent,

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/dunnes-must-pay-builders-of-shopping-centre-20m-for-anchor-deal-3063080.html

DUNNES Stores was yesterday ordered by a High Court judge to pay around €20m to a company which built a shopping centre in which the supermarket chain agreed to be the anchor tenant.
    Mr Justice Peter Kelly dismissed a bid by Dunnes to set aside an arbitrator's award for €20.2m, arising out of an agreement between the supermarket owners and Holtglen Ltd to build the Ferrybank Shopping Centre in southern Kilkenny. The centre was completed in August 2009.
    Dunnes had instituted arbitration proceedings claiming breaches of a development agreement by Holtglen which in turn counterclaimed for payment. Holtglen claimed it was then entitled to stage payments due under the development agreement, plus other sums for which it had counter-claimed.
    It said it has very large borrowings in connection with the Ferrybank development and it was "of the utmost importance" it was paid by Dunnes as soon as possible. Holtglen later became insolvent.
    Last October, the arbitrator, while upholding some of Dunnes complaints of breaches of the development agreement, found Holtglen had remedied those matters and Dunnes was therefore not entitled to terminate the development agreement.
    Insolvent

Dunnes applied to the Commercial Court to set aside the arbitrator's findings, claiming that as Holtglen was now insolvent, it was precluded from claiming the money due.
    During the hearing, the court was told Holtglen's loans to Bank of Ireland had been transferred to a NAMA company, National Asset Loan Management (NALM), and all Holtglen's related security rights, assets and interests had been transferred to NALM.
    In his judgment yesterday, Mr Justice Kelly said this meant that NAMA had stepped into the shoes of Holtglen and its insolvency was now an irrelevance. "It also means that any concerns Dunnes may have in relation to future obligations not being honoured had evaporated", he said.
    The judge also found the arbitrator had not been guilty of any error of law in the approach he took to the construction of the agreement between Dunnes and Holtglen. Despite the fact that the shopping centre was completed nearly two and a half years ago, Dunnes had only paid "a fraction" of the money due for the work, he said.

So it's official: It's never going to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

20 million squid should just about cover the legal fee's, interest and other stuff accrued over the last five years, what a ball of sh1te, a reason for Jewish fire if I ever saw one.

Think Dunnes also agreed to move into some new development in Dublin Docklands and subsequently failed to do so and a similar case is ongoing in relation to this also. Gotta wonder why they were agreeing to move into these places and then backing out. Them as anchor tennants would be the making or breaking of any new shopping centre potentially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Someone at Dunnes obviously worked out E20m is cheaper than opening a new store to run empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

thomasm wrote: »
    Think Dunnes also agreed to move into some new development in Dublin Docklands and subsequently failed to do so and a similar case is ongoing in relation to this also. Gotta wonder why they were agreeing to move into these places and then backing out. Them as anchor tennants would be the making or breaking of any new shopping centre potentially

I was involved in both the development in Waterford and the one in the Point in Dublin. As far as I am aware, Dunnes had agreed new stores in a number of sites around the country of which these were two.
    Agreements were already in place before the bank collapse, but when the collapse happened, Dunnes try to lever the price that they had already agreed with the developers, stating that they wanted a reduction in costs, due to the financial change and if they did not get it that they would pull out.
    If memory serves me right, they tried this with Johnny Ronan and he took them to court and as far as I know he won, maybe its still at appeal.

So does this mean that the shopping centre is gone again, I thought Dunnes were going into it? Although I know originally they were supposed to have the city end of the store, with the big glass front, and there has been no sign of any movement there as regards fitout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

thomasm wrote: »

I'd wonder why Dunnes didn't get some clause in the contract to allow them to pull out or get reduced costs if there was an economic downturn.

• Advertisement

In his judgment yesterday, Mr Justice Kelly said this meant that NAMA had stepped into the shoes of Holtglen and its insolvency was now an irrelevance. "It also means that any concerns Dunnes may have in relation to future obligations not being honoured had evaporated", he said.

As far as I can see, Dunnes didnt want to go ahead with store,
    saw possible loophole,
    now that doesnt exist,
    they still have to open,
    if they dont, NAMA could sue.... but would they.

As of today there is no activity anywhere except in the libary, which looks nearly ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Watch this space as they say,
    There has to be huge pressure on KK county council to get it open, between there and the site in abbey lands there is a serious amount of retail sitting idle.
    What were they thinking !!

Seriously lads...the thing is bigger than the Death Star. It doesn't matter how much pressure KKCC are under to get it open, it's never going to happen. It would be lunacy for anyone to go in there at this stage. They'd need to be offered rent free for at least 2 years and a heap of other benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Nypd wrote: »
    There has to be huge pressure on KK county council to get it open, between there and the site in abbey lands there is a serious amount of retail sitting idle.

What were they thinking is right!

How did KK county council ever think it was viable to have a new retail development in Abbeypark when the Ferrybank SC was going ahead.
    Was KKCC involved in anyway with the proposed North Quays or the Jury's development or was that Waterford Corporation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

That is the question...... They were not, it is almost like spite, but I am probably paranoid, but it just never made sense, even in the middle of the madness of the Celtic tiger, it made no sense, I was involved in one of the objections and there was absolutely no talking to KK co co , their mind was set from day one and did not want to hear about comparison shopping etc, which was in their dev plan?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    As far as I can see, Dunnes didnt want to go ahead with store,
    saw possible loophole,
    now that doesnt exist,
    they still have to open,
    if they dont, NAMA could sue.... but would they.

As of today there is no activity anywhere except in the libary, which looks nearly ready...

Not sure how your interpretating the judges comments as Dunnes will have to pay the 20 million and still move in and open a store the clearly dont want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Have you ever heard of cargo cult mentality?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Its about the best argument I can think of to show how stupid the new local authority proposal is. Imagine Waterford City planners will have full say in the activities of Tallow but not their own suburb of Ferrybank.

At a cost of €100m this has to be one of the biggest mistakes of KKCC. I suppose Big Phil has that kind of influence on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CasaBonita

Silverado wrote: »
    Its about the best argument I can think of to show how stupid the new local authority proposal is. Imagine Waterford City planners will have full say in the activities of Tallow but not their own suburb of Ferrybank.

At a cost of €100m this has to be one of the biggest mistakes of KKCC. I suppose Big Phil has that kind of influence on people.

Waterford County Council are responsible for planning in Tallow.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

CasaBonita wrote: »
    Waterford County Council are responsible for planning in Tallow.:rolleyes:
    Not if Big Phil has his way and amalgamates the two local authorities like he is proposing.

I know that its not yet a de facto situation but he's seriously pushing it.

Advertisement