Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You're a right bloody conscientious stone in our shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You're a right bloody concious stone in our shoes!

great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah sure tis an old ould building now. anybody know when it was built? must be a nightmare to maintain

It has been there since the mid to late 70's. Gay Byrne officially opened it!

Samsgirl wrote: »

jasus theres a piece of trivia. thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

BBM77 wrote: »
    Tesco is only holding on to Poleberry to stop another supermarket from going in there apparently. I do have a dream scenario for it though. It would be great if they sold it and Marks & Spencers went in there. Size, location, car par it is perfect for M&S. Well we can hope.:rolleyes:

Had a discussion about Tesco Poleberry before with friends (over a large quantity of pints) but we came to the conclusion that it would make for a great venue. It's centrally located. Has ample parking and accessibility. Has a drop off area/taxis. Has a main area for the venue itself...can be halved for smaller acts/performances. Has a large foyer for meet, greet, cloakroom, queues. Has outer areas for a bar, café, eateries.

Anyway, the point being that it all made sense over a few pints :)

• Advertisement

crazyman wrote: »
    Had a discussion about Tesco Poleberry before with friends (over a large quantity of pints) but we came to the conclusion that it would make for a great venue. It's centrally located. Has ample parking and accessibility. Has a drop off area/taxis. Has a main area for the venue itself...can be halved for smaller acts/performances. Has a large foyer for meet, greet, cloakroom, queues. Has outer areas for a bar, café, eateries.

Sounds great but what the sound proofing like? Anyway no signs of Tesco ending their interest so it'll remain as is and who'd buy such a site for music/arts? Not the council that's for sure and I can't see a promoter being interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

spare a thought for those growing the food or those that do the work to provide you with those products and food. more than likely they're getting the s*it end of the stick. we have a dreadful ignorance in this part of the world to think that its ok to treat people like that just so we can have whatever we want cheaply

Do you think the likes of Marks and Spencer or Tesco pay the farmers more? You are having a laugh if you think that.

crazyman wrote: »

nice idea but i dont think it would work in waterford. not enough people or support to make it happen. too risky for a business owner to. i like it though. well thought out even in your state of alcohol consumption.
    O Riain wrote: »
    Do you think the likes of Marks and Spencer or Tesco pay the farmers more? You are having a laugh if you think that.

hahaha not a chance. these companies are a scourge on society. they wont pay anybody anymore period. in fact, they just keep demanding cheaper products from suppliers. all the more reason to support your local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Parking area is a disaster out in Lisduggan. They need to repaint the whole site, fill in/raise the sunken areas, make sure that no-one parks on the double yellow lines and white boxes (always broken outside Heatons/Lifestyle entrance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Samsgirl wrote: »

Jasus a blast from the past, I rented them a forklift to lift Gaybo up in front of the crowd, well before the Health and Safety laws of today!

• Advertisement

I remember that, back when Maurice Pratt was a superstar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

I remember that, back when Maurice Pratt was a superstar!

I never collected enough for a barcode battler :( Quinnsworth, Crazy Prices then Tesco. Now with 3 children I find Lisduggan handy for parking and easy to go into Heatons, Dealz or Lifestyle but I went into the Tesco recently and it was like no Tesco I've ever been in before, I don't know what's different about it now but it wasn't like that when I was in college :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

spare a thought for those growing the food or those that do the work to provide you with those products and food. more than likely they're getting the s*it end of the stick. we have a dreadful ignorance in this part of the world to think that its ok to treat people like that just so we can have whatever we want cheaply

Funny - farmers have never complained about Lidl or Aldi - if anything both of those stores are praised by Irish farmers whereas Tesco & Dunnes are lambasted.

Aldi & Lidl have always said that they fund their special offers and don't change the prices they pay to suppliers to fund the offers.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Funny - farmers have never complained about Lidl or Aldi - if anything both of those stores are praised by Irish farmers whereas Tesco & Dunnes are lambasted.

Aldi & Lidl have always said that they fund their special offers and don't change the prices they pay to suppliers to fund the offers.

thats good to hear but im not just talking about farmers here, im talking about all suppliers and manufacturers. its dreadful we think its ok to treat these people terribly wherever they are in the world just so we can have cheap products. somebody's always getting shafted in order to produce these products. my thoughts are with the filipino people today

i know a supplier that opted out of doing a tesco deal years ago. they were glad they did. reckon they would have eventually lost their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

thats good to hear but im not just talking about farmers here, im talking about all suppliers and manufacturers. its dreadful we think its ok to treat these people terribly wherever they are in the world just so we can have cheap products. somebody's always getting shafted in order to produce these products. my thoughts are with the filipino people today

i know a supplier that opted out of doing a tesco deal years ago. they were glad they did. reckon they would have eventually lost their business.

They choose to sell their produce to supermarkets. Nobody is forcing them to do it. They're well within their rights to not sell to supermarkets

They choose to sell their produce to supermarkets. Nobody is forcing them to do it. They're well within their rights to not sell to supermarkets

i suspect its a case of having to in order to survive. i dont think its cut and dry

i suspect its a case of having to in order to survive. i dont think its cut and dry

I used to work for a major FMCG manufacturer who said they just broke even on what they sold through Tesco but in terms of market share and volume sales they couldn't not be there. If their brand isn't prominent in Tesco a competitors will be and for the footfall that Tesco gets the other brands increased market share would erode theirs. They were a multinational with a fairly diverse product portfolio so I really pity smaller producers.

julyjane wrote: »
    I used to work for a major FMCG manufacturer who said they just broke even on what they sold through Tesco but in terms of market share and volume sales they couldn't not be there. If their brand isn't prominent in Tesco a competitors will be and for the footfall that Tesco gets the other brands increased market share would erode theirs. They were a multinational with a fairly diverse product portfolio so I really pity smaller producers.

interesting to hear whats going on from the inside. large companies like tesco are extremely aggressive in their approach to suppliers. id say its impossible for smaller suppliers to survive in that game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree , but there is hope, a number of brands were approached by supermarkets as they had built up such a following on social media etc . this would have been unheard of even 5 years ago.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I agree , but there is hope, a number of brands were approached by supermarkets as they had built up such a following on social media etc . this would have been unheard of even 5 years ago.

thats true. social media has been a very powerful tool in regards marketing

• Advertisement

The shopping centre was discussed on drive time on RTE radio 1 this evening. They said it's the 3rd biggest shopping centre in Ireland which I hadn't realised. I missed the end of the feature so I didn't hear the conclusion of it but it was on around 5 to 6 or just after 6 if anyone is listening back.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The shopping centre was discussed on drive time on RTE radio 1 this evening. They said it's the 3rd biggest shopping centre in Ireland which I hadn't realised. I missed the end of the feature so I didn't hear the conclusion of it but it was on around 5 to 6 or just after 6 if anyone is listening back.

No way it's the third biggest shopping centre in Ireland, it might be the third biggest one that has never opened alright

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Aquos76 wrote: »
    No way it's the third biggest shopping centre in Ireland, it might be the third biggest one that has never opened alright

Have you been inside? Its surprisingly big.

Doesnt look anywhere near as big as it really is from the road.

Id well believe one of the biggest alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Totals 250,000 square feet according to this article.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/waterford-s-ferrybank-centre-to-open-in-april-2012-1.9424

Not a fraction on places like Pavillions. Not much smaller then Jervis though so wouldnts be a small place by any standards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Ferrybank is 6,200sq m (66,736sq ft) of retail space on two levels.

City Square is 5,737 sq.m (61,750 sq ft) (excl. Anchors).

Judging by city square size, Ferrybank would be lucky to be in the top ten list I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Ferrybank is 6,200sq m (66,736sq ft) of retail space on two levels.

City Square is 5,737 sq.m (61,750 sq ft) (excl. Anchors).

Judging by city square size, Ferrybank would be lucky to be in the top ten list I reckon.

where u getting those figures from?????

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Who in their right mind would build the third biggest shopping centre in Ireland in Ferrybank. :confused: It's beyond ridiculous.

Who in their right mind would build the third biggest shopping centre in Ireland in Ferrybank. :confused: It's beyond ridiculous.

joys of a boom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

If you build it, they will come principle

Advertisement