Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Don't think adverts is where the big players in property development look for their next purchase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Anyone hear rumblings on our little pet white elephant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Anyone hear rumblings on our little pet white elephant?

No... should we have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I heard for the third time that Dunnes has delayed paying the money it owed to pull out and that nothing can happen until this is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I heard for the third time that Dunnes has delayed paying the money it owed to pull out and that nothing can happen until this is paid.

Nevvverrrrr!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Thought I read somewhere that they might rent it out for a movie production - as it could be quite handy for a post-apocolyptic/zombie film centered around a shopping centre. Although that's been done numerous times already.

I could also have read it on the April Fools - so don't quote me here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

iseegirls wrote: »
    Thought I read somewhere that they might rent it out for a movie production - as it could be quite handy for a post-apocolyptic/zombie film centered around a shopping centre. Although that's been done numerous times already.

I could also have read it on the April Fools - so don't quote me here :confused:

read that too, dont think its a prank.

LOL I was afraid to post it as I thought it was an Aprils fool, or a Bacchus inspired thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

That rumour was originally published on April Fools...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

John Paul construction the company that built it are back on site finishing off their snag list. Dunnes have paid the 20m owed to Holtglen the developers. When asked about the project Dunnes said that no decisions have been made about the future of the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I hope to see it open and trading in 5 years time Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

dayshah wrote: »
    I don't think this place should have gotten planning permission, just like TK Maxx.

However, TK Maxx had a much better location. If you were travelling from somewhere like the industrial estate to the Dunmore Rd, you could nip into TK Maxx on the way home. Or if you lived near Lismore park it was handy enough if you had a car.

The advantages of these places to consumers is you avoid the city centre. To get to this Ferrybank place you have to drive through the centre, and then drive some more, to get there. It was destined to fail.

I wonder what it could be used for? Underground rave?
    it was intended for the people of south kilkenny,south tip,and south wexford.

dunphy3 wrote: »
    it was intended for the people of south kilkenny,south tip,and south wexford.

No it was intended as a rate grab by Kilkenny Co Council, otherwise it would never have gotten planning using any model Financial, sustainable, or any other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

No it was intended as a rate grab by Kilkenny Co Council, otherwise it would never have gotten planning using any model Financial, sustainable, or any other

In a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,008 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

it was built to make money from whoever.

hopefully a family can be found soon. terrible waste. fine building

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Should be demolished. Hogan squandered €750k on a library there, when one of the top libraries in the country is a bus ride away in Lady Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Will never open, Tesco/Dunnes/SuperValue are all in consolidation/contracting and will be for many years as Aldi/Lidl continue to gripe the market and it wouldn't suit them.

Read the exhaustive and exhausting thread,I am not going through all of the pros and cons again.
    To add a further nail to its coffin , the day of the ultra large store is over as can be seen by the decline of Tesco's fortunes, people the world over have changed shopping patterns and only want medium size supermarkets where they can do their shopping in 40 minutes not an hour and a half.
    Its a Celtic tiger developer led , banking gamble that no one wants anymore , they need to either find a completely different use for it or knock two thirds of it and give Ferrybank the medium supermarket with 6 or 7 shops it requires and always required.
    Anything else is wishful thinking.

• Advertisement

Read the exhaustive and exhausting thread,I am not going through all of the pros and cons again.
    To add a further nail to its coffin , the day of the ultra large store is over as can be seen by the decline of Tesco's fortunes, people the world over have changed shopping patterns and only want medium size supermarkets where they can do there shopping in 40 minutes not an hour and a half.
    Its a Celtic tiger developer led , banking gamble that no one wants anymore , they need to either find a completely different use for it or knock two thirds of it and give Ferrybank the medium supermarket with 6 or 7 shops it requires and always required.
    Anything else is wishful thinking.

im dyslexic, so reading of the thread would be a futile exercise. thank you anyway.

yea tesco is in a bit of bother alright.

there must be a useful use for this building for the community?

im dyslexic, so reading of the thread would be a futile exercise. thank you anyway.

yea tesco is in a bit of bother alright.

there must be a useful use for this building for the community?
    For someone who claims they can't read a thread on the grounds of dyslexia you have posted some load of times on many different threads in the last 48 hours.!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I hope to see it open and trading in 5 years time Max.

And world peace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Why don't they just auction if off?

For someone who claims they can't read a thread on the grounds of dyslexia you have posted some load of times on many different threads in the last 48 hours.!

i would be very grateful if you educated yourself on the matter before making ignorant remarks about it. plenty of videos on youtube and plenty of info on the internets.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Why don't they just auction if off?

who d buy it? its in nama isnt it?

i would be very grateful if you educated yourself on the matter before making ignorant remarks about it. plenty of videos on youtube and plenty of info on the internets.
    I have a son with dyslexia lad so don't play that card with me. If you are going to be a smart arse you should try be a good one.

thanks mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

who d buy it? its in nama isnt it?

I don't know but someone somewhere might have an idea on what to do with it.

Just letting it there mostly empty and really of no use is not right.

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I don't know but someone somewhere might have an idea on what to do with it.

Just letting it there mostly empty and really of no use is not right.

i think it is. if i was a*sed checking the site, we d all know.

yea its a terrible shame. its a fine building. im sure it could be converted into something for use of the local community. it ll fall apart soon if its not used

Advertisement