Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    it ll fall apart soon if its not used

People in there full time taking care of it from what i can see.

Someone in there everyday pottering about doing odd jobs anyway.

Gives me hope that something might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Every time i pass it, i shake my head.

It should have someone like M&S in there. What a waste of a prime shopping location for the Waterford / South Kilkenny region

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People in there full time taking care of it from what i can see.

Someone in there everyday pottering about doing odd jobs anyway.

thats good, at least its been looked after
    moonboy52 wrote: »

It should have someone like M&S in there. What a waste of a prime shopping location for the Waterford / South Kilkenny region

id rather see it being put to use for community purposes but there should be some shops that side of the bridge. theres enough living over there to support it. aldi must be cleaning up over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I only discovered recently that there are two unopened shopping centres in ferrybank. It's such a shame!

deise08 wrote: »
    I only discovered recently that there are two unopened shopping centres in ferrybank. It's such a shame!

wheres the second?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

wheres the second?

Well i hope its a second and not the same one makin me look stupid. :)

There's the one as you drive towards slieverue and then there's one on the other road. Is it over by Abbylands.
    Take the turn right, by the little sisters there and keep going out you eventually get to a roundabout. Just there!

wheres the second?

Literally 5 minutes walk from the other centre if the road down to it wasn't blocked off.

Two top of the range Shopping centres going to waste.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The second isn't a shopping center tho, like Ferrybank!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

To be honest unless there is real developments on the North Quays I really cant see any remote chance of it being opened this side of 2025.

I'm sure if it was knocked down and houses build instead investors would get a better return. It was way to big to start wtih.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    To be honest unless there is real developments on the North Quays I really cant see any remote chance of it being opened this side of 2025.

I'm sure if it was knocked down and houses build instead investors would get a better return. It was way to big to start wtih.

The Silo's are being demolished next week so who knows what developers might be attracted to the north quays then, could be a big opportunity for someone.

We live in hope:)

• Advertisement

Literally 5 minutes walk from the other centre if the road down to it wasn't blocked off.[/URL]

Two top of the range Shopping centres going to waste.

jesus thats terrible. looks like a fantastic setup for a retail area.

thanks for that

Sully wrote: »
    The second isn't a shopping center tho, like Ferrybank!

Makes no difference really.

Just as modern. Beautiful building.

Far superior to the pile of **** they call a shopping centre over in Lisduggan.

ah sure tis an old ould building now. anybody know when it was built? must be a nightmare to maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Makes no difference really.

Just as modern. Beautiful building.

That pile of **** as you call it has been open for forty years - generating business and employment, while serving the community - unlike the actual piles of **** in Ferrybank.

7upfree wrote: »
    That pile of **** as you call it has been open for forty years - generating business and employment, while serving the community - unlike the actual piles of **** in Ferrybank.

good point but it has seen better days

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Lisduggan Shopping Centre must be one of the most run down depressing Shopping centres in the country! It seems to still have the footfall though I see Costa Coffee are opening soon in there!

Shane07 wrote: »
    Lisduggan Shopping Centre must be one of the most run down depressing Shopping centres in the country! It seems to still have the footfall though I see Costa Coffee are opening soon in there!

i suspect its here to stay for a while. cost a fortune to knock it and build something else, very few developers willing to do that id say. interesting news about costa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When I lived in Limerick, the crescent shopping centre was exactly like lisduggan shopping centre but was located near to the hospital so had great footfall, it was completely re developed.

I love Lisduggan, its so easy for kids and buggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Shane07 wrote: »
    Costa Coffee are opening soon in there!

Are they? :eek: Which one are they going into? The old pound shop place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

i suspect its here to stay for a while. cost a fortune to knock it and build something else, very few developers willing to do that id say. interesting news about costa

During the boom there was planning permission gained to knock and redevelop the Lisduggan centre. So I would not completely rule it out at some stage.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    During the boom there was planning permission gained to knock and redevelop the Lisduggan centre. So I would not completely rule it out at some stage.

excellent. think i heard about that actually. probably take some time to happen now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

good point but it has seen better days

As a newcomer to Waterford, it is definitely one of the least appealing places in Waterford, that and the Tesco near the cinema - both are very rundown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Amazing to think that Poleberry was lovely when it was built first, remember the carasel and the cafe?

YurOK2 wrote: »
    As a newcomer to Waterford, it is definitely one of the least appealing places in Waterford, that and the Tesco near the cinema - both are very rundown.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Amazing to think that Poleberry was lovely when it was built first, remember the carasel and the cafe?

this is very true actually. tesco poleberry kinna got run down fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Tesco is only holding on to Poleberry to stop another supermarket from going in there apparently. I do have a dream scenario for it though. It would be great if they sold it and Marks & Spencers went in there. Size, location, car par it is perfect for M&S. Well we can hope.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Someone needs to tell Marks & Spencer how obsessed Waterford people are with them. Maybe they'll actually think about coming here then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:D

Given the state of the food/grocery market I'd say Lidl or Aldi are more likely than M&S. People have realised they have been paying over the odds for years since hard times hit.

People have realised they have been paying over the odds for years since hard times hit.

im more concerned about the cheapification of food and products. its not sustainable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well that's a fair concern but as someone who shops almost exclusively at German supermarkets I've rarely felt the fruit and veg was anything other than well grown!

• Advertisement

Well that's a fair concern but as someone who shops almost exclusively at German supermarkets I've rarely felt the fruit and veg was anything other than well grown!

spare a thought for those growing the food or those that do the work to provide you with those products and food. more than likely they're getting the s*it end of the stick. we have a dreadful ignorance in this part of the world to think that its ok to treat people like that just so we can have whatever we want cheaply

Advertisement