Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the movies on your own!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I went to see Harry Potter on my own on Monday. And I didn't feel like a weirdo. Cinema was half empty anyway. My mates went to see it on Sunday but I couldn't go as I was working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

up to 2 months ago - the last movie I have seen was The Way in The Screen Hawkins street.

but

here's why i have decided to discontinue my cinema visits

i am not a beefy kinda dude.

someone like me on their own is part of the other furniture in the auditorium, to many movie goers.

bf talks across me to gf - they come in later than me - and so forth

them vs me. so i stop. anyway i see it on dvd (my old PC) blueray (my new sony viao F)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gugleguy wrote: »
    up to 2 months ago - the last movie I have seen was The Way in The Screen Hawkins street.

but

here's why i have decided to discontinue my cinema visits

i am not a beefy kinda dude.

someone like me on their own is part of the other furniture in the auditorium, to many movie goers.

bf talks across me to gf - they come in later than me - and so forth

them vs me.
    so i stop. anyway i see it on dvd (my old PC) blueray (my new sony viao F)

.....what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I went to Harry Potter by myself yesterday and really enjoyed it. There were a few kids in the crowd, but also a few other adults on their own including a couple of perfectly normal looking bearded dudes.

I'd feel awkward in a pub/restaurant by myself without some reading material, but the cinema is dark and you can't talk during it so I don't necessarily consider it a social thing. It's a shame people don't feel they can go by themselves because of what others think.

If anything I'd prefer to be there completely alone with no talkers, texters, rustlers or seat-kickers - if I ever stop going to the cinema, it'll be because of that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I did it once. Had the day off work so decided to go on my own. It was the Sixth Sense. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've often gone to the cinema myself much to my mate's dismay. "That's weird"

"Well, you didn't want to go see this film and I'm not waiting around on you otherwise I'll never see it", I said.

Funnily enough, they said the same thing about me heading to Newcastle by myself next month.

"That's weird"

"Well, you don't support Newcastle and if you say you're going to come then don't back out like you always do. If I'm waiting around on you lot, I'll never get over"

Couldn't give a damn what people think to be honest. It's just good to know that I don't have to rely on others to do things.

EDIT: I'd gladly head into a pub too by myself for a pint and a read of the paper. But no... "that's weird" too. Seriously, people in this country are too obsessed with what others think.
    Not a healthy way to live at all.

I like spending time with mates and I like spending time by myself. The only difference is that I don't have to worry about anybody else when I'm on my own. I'm my own boss and I go as I please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I always go to the cinema on my own. Its good. Enjoy the film, kill the evening. I live in a town where I know no one, so I have nothing else to do.

My only problem is that most cinemas only sell big bags of sweets etc., for sharing.
    The effort to go into a shop to buy a small bag is a nuiscance. But I reluctantly buy the big bag and stuff myself!

I'd say I have gone once a week on my own for the last 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I love going for a quiet pint on my own. Although recent years it has become far too regular which is worrying. Most of my friends are now in serious relationships or married. How pathetic am I? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh, I just remembered another occasion when I was on holidays solo, to pass some time before I met my brother. There were about 4 other people in the cinema. It was scorchio outside and colder than a witch's proverbial inside because of the air-con up to full blast :rolleyes: Can't even remember what I saw!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

py2006 wrote: »
    I love going for a quiet pint on my own. Although recent years it has become far too regular which is worrying. Most of my friends are now in serious relationships or married. How pathetic am I? :o

yeah but how many of them are wishing they could go for a pint on their own instead of moping around Harvey Normans on a Saturday arguing about couches :pac:

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    yeah but how many of them are wishing they could go for a pint on their own instead of moping around Harvey Normans on a Saturday arguing about couches :pac:

That is quite true!! Or pushing the shopping trolley behind the boss!! haha

Being single is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Thats weird, I have no problems going to a pub by myself, but the cinema,no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I have been to the cinema on my own a number of times (yes I'd rather go with someone) but I'd rather go alone than not at all! :)

I can't say I have ever felt embarassed by going alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I was only at "The Guard" the other day on my own as my wife was sitting an exam.

Oh and brilliant movie by the way. Go see it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

I don't see any problem in going on your own. It's a lot down to personal preferences really, some people see it as a mostly social thing, hence they might find it weird when you take that aspect out of it. When it's a film I really want to see and none of my friends are interested in, I'd have no qualms about going, like Harry Potter (:D)- I don't like packed cinemas though, especially now with the school holidays, so will be waiting til it's out a while before going to see it, but that's just me, I'm not an overly social person anyway, so am quite happy seeing a film on my own.

I think it's worth noting why cinemas aren't portrayed as something you can do by yourself, they want you to bring your friends along- more money for them.

Saruman wrote: »
    I was only at "The Guard" the other day on my own as my wife was sitting an exam.

Oh and brilliant movie by the way. Go see it!!

I was thinking of bringing my father to see this! Suitable father/son viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Absolutely yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I went to see bridesmaids on Friday night in Cineworld (seen it before but I had a few hours to bum around plus I have the unlimited card :D) and I made the mistake of sitting up near the back, on my own. I LOVE going to the cinema by myself, really really love it, but these three feckers came in and sat behind me, and started talking really loudly before the movie started about how sad it was to go to a film on your own, and how 'their friends' sat beside a girl who was by herself in a movie and she "totally smelled, it was so gross it was like she didn't wash, i mean clearly she had no friends or anything. Sad bitch, must be why she's alone in a movie, i mean come on, loser!" :rolleyes:

yes, because clearly people who want to watch a movie have no friends, partners, or showers... except I have all those things!

It is definitely the case though that most Irish people have a major problem with being in their own company. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Nah, I think the issue is that many Irish people have a problem with OTHER people doing anything out of the ordinary. Like going to the cinema solo. Stick with the programme, don't be rocking the boat by doing something we are not comfortable doing. Stupid and ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I guess it's the same reaction I get when I tell people I don't really drink... "Sure, how can you enjoy yourself on a night out if you're not drinking? You must a be a total dry-shite when you're out then!"

Eh, no.

• Advertisement

I guess it's the same reaction I get when I tell people I don't really drink... "Sure, how can you enjoy yourself on a night out if you're not drinking? You must a be a total dry-shite when you're out then!"

Eh, no.

I get something similar when I don't stay out all day drinking! I have my limits then I go home!! Some find it hard to accept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

they don't value themselves enough and you value yourself that you were independent enough to go alone and this carefree attitude is what SCARES and makes them feel insecure, so they decide to drag you down to their level

its like everything in life really, those outside the norm drag the other ones kicking and screaming to accept more progressive views

Advertisement