Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the movies on your own!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Since I work evenings and nights I usually go during the day if I want to see something. Usually on my own as most friends are working or doing something productive during the day. Couldn't give a flying **** what anyone thinks. Usually cheaper during the day too. :D

The only time it went wrong was when I went to see Paranormal Activity at 2pm in it's last week of screening. There was no one else in the screen with me. That is an experience I do not want to repeat. Freaky doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I just don't get why people would feel self conscious going somewhere on their own. Granted, it might be a bit odd heading off to a nightclub solo, but cinema, gigs, a quite pint with the paper, holidays, whatever. No one cares, no one even notices!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

fasty wrote: »
    I just don't get why people would feel self conscious going somewhere on their own. Granted, it might be a bit odd heading off to a nightclub solo, but cinema, gigs, a quite pint with the paper, holidays, whatever. No one cares, no one even notices!

Some people actually do notice!! But if you can turn a blind eye then your fine!

I used to frequent this pub on my own for a quite pint, then one day I was asked "how come you are always on your own?". So that made me feel like a total looser!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Hmmm, fair enough! I guess *I* don't care then! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

py2006 wrote: »
    Some people actually do notice!! But if you can turn a blind eye then your fine!

I used to frequent this pub on my own for a quite pint, then one day I was asked "how come you are always on your own?". So that made me feel like a total looser!

Hmm, well I s'pose that'd depend on why you were there on your own. You could of responded by simply saying you didn't really know any one around there (if that was the case). Would be for myself if I went to any of the pubs around where I live.

Saying that, I've often gone to a pub by myself and put back a few pints while reading a book or watching a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

What ever happened to all the ould fellas w&nking away under a folded gaberdine coat at the matinee.

aujopimur wrote: »
    What ever happened to all the ould fellas w&nking away under a folded gaberdine coat at the matinee.

Jesus, what films do you go to? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

py2006 wrote: »

Same here, I don't drink or head to pubs much but for the local pub I'd often stop in for a toasted sandwich, rock shandy and a read of the paper or watch a bit of sport on the TV.
    Find a nice seat for myself in the corner

And last day some lady asking me "oh I'm not being rude but why are you here in the corner on your own?" No it wasn't her chatting me up, just her wanting to know everyones business.

Now I second guess myself and think twice before heading in for a drink and read the paper! Yeah, I felt like bit of a loser too with her attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

mikemac wrote: »
    Same here, I don't drink or head to pubs much but for the local pub I'd often stop in for a toasted sandwich, rock shandy and a read of the paper or watch a bit of sport on the TV.

And last day some lady asking me "oh I'm not being rude but why are you here in the corner on your own?" No it wasn't her chatting me up, just her wanting to know everyones business.

Now I second guess myself and think twice before heading in for a drink and read the paper!

Tell her you're an alcoholic. And ask her for money. That makes the sweethearts run.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Have done and will do again. I don't go to the cinema often anyway but would have zero issues going on my own

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Most of the time when I go the cinema it's on my own. I'd have a hard time convincing friends to go see the type of films I'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That's gas, cinemas used to be really cool, I mean the old "town house" once where the jacks were at the back of the room and everyone would pop up for a smoke and they used to only be cleaned about once a week with rats feasting on the popcorn :D

Edit : Had real character, like the one in Last Action Hero

If I ever had the money to open a cinema I'd model it on that one, its class

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I'd never go to my local cinema on my own, just incase friends saw me :D
    But my father lives in Dublin so I would occasionally go in and put down a few hours! Will never forget the first time, wasn't familiar with cinema and nearly fell down the stairs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ConTheCat wrote: »
    I'd never go to my local cinema on my own, just incase friends saw me :D
    But my father lives in Dublin so I would occasionally go in and put down a few hours! Will never forget the first time, wasn't familiar with cinema and nearly fell down the stairs! :D

so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Like most here I think I prefer going on my own. You're not going to be talking anyway and there's no obligation to share your sweeties (they mine, MINE!! :) ). I do shift work so I can usually go during the day when it's cheap and almost empty. Often get a private screening.

For the odd big comedy it's fun to have a few pints first and see it with the lads, but mostly it's just an enjoyable way to kill a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

mikemac wrote: »

Now I second guess myself and think twice before heading in for a drink and read the paper! Yeah, I felt like bit of a loser too with her attitude!
    I love having a quiet pint with a newspaper, the taught that some people find this strange never crossed my mind why would people find this strange?:confused:
    I remember when i lived and worked in Dublin and herself would be away with work i would go to a restaurant near home rather than cooking for one,the looks i would get when asking for a table for 1, I was even told by one restaurant that they didn't do tables for people on there own:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I travel up to Dublin each week from Cork, so most of the time, if I want to see a film, have a pint or have a sit down meal then it's on my own.

Plus, you get to see some films which you wouldn't see otherwise.

"Want to see the new Malick Film, which poses existential questions on man, nature, god blah blah"
    "Eh..No"
    "Want to see the new documentary about chess genius Bobby Fischer?"
    "As...if"
    "Want to see lot's of robots beating the diesel out of each other in 3-D?"
    "Hell yeah!"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I'm a fat bastard who needs the popcorn and coke, costs almost the same as the ticket.
    Usually hit McDees, BK, or Eddie Rockets myself before the cinema, so I'm well fed before I pass the sweet counter :D
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I like going when its full, and has a good atmosphere.
    Aye, but depends on the film. For example, when I saw Predator a few months back in Screen cinema, everyone in the audience was laughing, clapping, cheering, and quoting the film all the way through, and this made it a lot more enjoyable.

=-=

Watch most films at home these days. Rarely watch a movie in a cinema, unless it's something that I'm really looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

krudler wrote: »
    so?
    I'm just a paranoid freak! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I've been told before not to go to the cinema on my own as it would make me loolike a saddo :confused: Maybe it's small town mentality I dunno but they thought it would be weird!

But I never am able to go on my own(when I'm in my home town) as it's too far away so normally just go with friends if they are driving out. Now where I'm living it aint too far from a cinema so must pop down and see something by myself and report back how I get on :pac::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

Went this morning on my own. Cineworld morning shows have next to nobody in the audience, no noise or chatting, not to mention it being cheaper. There were also a fair few people there on their own. It really comes down to when friends are available and what movie it is.

At this stage of my life I don't think about it. Needs must.

Edit: It was Harry Potter by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think I have the opposite problem. If I want to see a movie my boyfriend or friends aren't into, or they are working/away/busy, I don't mind going on my own, but there always seems to be this concerted effort to switch plans so I don't HAVE to go on my own. :confused: They don't seem to believe me. Or else don't want to be associated with the social pariah I would surely become if I DID end up going to a movie solo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Quagmire11

I've only been to the cinema on my own a couple of times and they were the best cinema experiences ever. Midweek, quiet and practically empty. I might enjoy going to a packed cinema more if us Irish were more like the Americans. Proper laughin and cheerin etc. Can't remember the last time i heard applause at the end of a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Quagmire11

Malari wrote: »
    I think I have the opposite problem. If I want to see a movie my boyfriend or friends aren't into, or they are working/away/busy, I don't mind going on my own, but there always seems to be this concerted effort to switch plans so I don't HAVE to go on my own. :confused: They don't seem to believe me. Or else don't want to be associated with the social pariah I would surely become if I DID end up going to a movie solo...
    Malari, do yourself a favour and go at least once. Don't tell anybody if you are worried what they'd think. I promise you that you'll love it.

Quagmire11 wrote: »
    Malari, do yourself a favour and go at least once. Don't tell anybody if you are worried what they'd think. I promise you that you'll love it.

Oh I have been! Well, just the one time. During a film festival, when a friend couldn't make it. I did enjoy it, but y'know a film festival - it's perfectly acceptable to be alone ;)

For the most part I don't vary enough in my tastes in cinema from my friends so we usually want to see the same movies. I'll have to go incognito some time again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Malari, the people who made the movie (whatever it may be) did not make it for you and your friends, they made it for you. Think of a movie as being like a book. It is a personal experience - whether it's Harry Potter or Malick - they made it for you.

On a side note, that is the same reason that after the swimming pool, zillionaires stuff a private cinema into their mansions.

Malari, the people who made the movie (whatever it may be) did not make it for you and your friends, they made it for you. Think of a movie as being like a book. It is a personal experience - whether it's Harry Potter or Malick - they made it for you.

On a side note, that is the same reason that after the swimming pool, zillionaires stuff a private cinema into their mansions.

But you can watch a movie sittimg beside someone and have a different experience to them. During the film you are not sharing it with anyone, bur I like to discuss it afterwards. Similarly I like talking about what impression a book made on me. Often it makes a completely different impression on a friend who also loved it but in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Only done it once. It was Die Hard when it was first released. I was in London working for the Summer and had an afternoon off. Most enjoyable so it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

I love the fact that I can go on my own no drama, no one else eating my munchies! but why the obsessive need for people to sit near you the place is empty

• Advertisement

Sarn wrote: »
    Went this morning on my own. Cineworld morning shows have next to nobody in the audience, no noise or chatting, not to mention it being cheaper. There were also a fair few people there on their own. It really comes down to when friends are available and what movie it is.

At this stage of my life I don't think about it. Needs must.

Edit: It was Harry Potter by the way.

Any good? Since I have no friends or a woman I am bringing myself to see this next weekend!

Advertisement