Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the movies on your own!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

nicechick! wrote: »
    Why the obsessive need for people to sit near you the place is empty

I know!
    I used to go all the time by myself when I used to work shift hours and had afternoons free. Was watching a Richard Gere film once("Final Analysis",forgive me,I was young and impressionable:rolleyes:), only about a dozen people in cinema, and this man comes over and asks me whether he could sit beside me:eek::eek::eek:

Jesus,I couldn't relax for the rest of the film,I was so freaked out.

(I said no,by the way).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have done it a good few times. It's pretty much essential for anything subtitled or that's a low level release, otherwise I probably wouldn't get to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

msthe80s wrote: »
    I know!
    I used to go all the time by myself when I used to work shift hours and had afternoons free. Was watching a Richard Gere film once("Final Analysis",forgive me,I was young and impressionable:rolleyes:), only about a dozen people in cinema, and this man comes over and asks me whether he could sit beside me:eek::eek::eek:

(I said no,by the way).

Playing hard to get? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

py2006 wrote: »
    Playing hard to get? :D

yeah,that was it.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's just easier sometimes. Not having to squabble about what time, which cinema, what movie with half a dozen people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I've gone to the cinema on my own before, no big deal. I do remember mentioning it to a girl I know and then having to hear her go on and on about how she could omg, like, never go to the cinema on her own 'cause she'd be totes morto loike. I don't understand why some people are so weird about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I really want to see potter, but tbh Id feel like a saddo if I went to that by myself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Some people, especially young people, seem to have a major insecurity about doing anything alone. They feel like everyone is looking at them thinking they are a loner or something. I don't really understand this mentality as I've always been fairly independent. Tbh if someone is that concerned about what a bunch of strangers in a cinema are thinking about them then they have a problem.

Although in the case of going to the cinema, it should perhaps be noted that not everyone has a serious interest in films. For many people going to the cinema is a purely social thing. They'd never go on their own because they'd have no reason to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

the_syco wrote: »
    Usually hit McDees, BK, or Eddie Rockets myself before the cinema, so I'm well fed before I pass the sweet counter :D

Before? Jaysus, so much better going after. Eddie Rockets FTW!

Never gone on my own. Being unemployed means you've plenty time for these things.

Dunno if i would go on my own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Nah I wouldn't go to the cinema on my own, would find it odd and a bit weird tbh. I know people be making the argument that its not as if you can talk in the cinema anyway but imo the cinema is kinda a social thing where people go to see a film together and thats why its worth spending that much on going there so to enjoy a film, have a laugh with mates or the girlfriend.

If i want to watch a movie by myself can always catch the new releases online which is cheap:P or rent out a film. Thats my take on it.

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I really want to see potter, but tbh Id feel like a saddo if I went to that by myself

Yea I was thinking that myself. Potter will be full of kids so a grown man (physically not mentally) may look odd sitting among kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

msthe80s wrote: »
    I know!

(I said no,by the way).

Yes it does confuse me a tad bit and doesn't help there chewing there way through a bag of goodies very loudly!! I still go though I enjoy heading on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Some people, especially young people, seem to have a major insecurity about doing anything alone. They feel like everyone is looking at them thinking they are a loner or something. I don't really understand this mentality as I've always been fairly independent. Tbh if someone is that concerned about what a bunch of strangers in a cinema are thinking about them then they have a problem.

Although in the case of going to the cinema, it should perhaps be noted that not everyone has a serious interest in films. For many people going to the cinema is a purely social thing. They'd never go on their own because they'd have no reason to.

this, people who have an active interest in movies more than what happens to be on at the local multiplex of a friday night would have no issue watching a film alone, because you're watching a film, not yakking to friends or texting people, its not a social event, thats what concerts are for.

I have no issue doing things myself, have gone up to dublin for gigs nobody wanted to go to, hell went on a 2 week tour of the States by myself last year and had a ball, nobody to worry about except myself. I'd find it sadder that you cant do anything alone and need people with you constantly so as not to feel like a social outcast, first off nobody cares and second its silly to think people will go "ahahaha loser!" at someone in a cinema by themselves. people in this country care WAY too much about what strangers think of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Malari wrote: »
    I think I have the opposite problem. If I want to see a movie my boyfriend or friends aren't into, or they are working/away/busy, I don't mind going on my own, but there always seems to be this concerted effort to switch plans so I don't HAVE to go on my own. :confused: They don't seem to believe me. Or else don't want to be associated with the social pariah I would surely become if I DID end up going to a movie solo...

A friend used to try something like this. "ah no are you going on your own. Would you not bring your mum maybe".
    Are you serious, bring my mum, the pair of us have better things to be doing than bringing each other in case we're seen out alone!!
    :rolleyes:
    I like going on my own sometimes, that's all there is to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Yea I was thinking that myself. Potter will be full of kids so a grown man (physically not mentally) may look odd sitting among kids!

Yeah exactly, some bearded bloke sitting by himself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

bluewolf wrote: »
    A friend used to try something like this. "ah no are you going on your own. Would you not bring your mum maybe".
    Are you serious, bring my mum, the pair of us have better things to be doing than bringing each other in case we're seen out alone!!
    :rolleyes:
    I like going on my own sometimes, that's all there is to it!

There comes an age when it is actually ok to be seen out and about with your mom, and while I am definitely at that age, I will not be using her as a prop for my cinema-going :D

I do think some people would be embarrassed on my behalf if I was to be seen on my own.

It's like I can say:
    "I think I'll go to that movie on my own, no-one I've spoken to seems to be interested in going"

And some people hear:
    "FINE, I suppose I'll just HAVE to go on my own then, will I? No one ever wants to do anything with me :mad::mad::("

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

God I really don't like the cinema... the only times I have ever gone are to comedies with mates and that sort of thing.

I find the entire cinema process rather disconcerting and every time I go I promise myself I won't go back but I always end up being talked back into it by someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Malari wrote: »
    There comes an age when it is actually ok to be seen out and about with your mom, and while I am definitely at that age, I will not be using her as a prop for my cinema-going :D

Oh I didn't mean it would be embarrassing, just that as you say, I'm not going to bring her just as a prop!
    Anyway she asks annoying questions in movies :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I went on by myself to the Tree of Life on saturday evening, in Cineworld. Between the throat clearers, coughers,crisp bag rustlers, machine queues, toilet queues - I wished I'd gone to the IFI. A few people there had clearly chosen the wrong film. It's excellent BTW, definitely worth seeing on the big screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Quagmire11 wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time i heard applause at the end of a film.

Why would you applaud? :confused: They can't hear you....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

Quagmire11 wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time i heard applause at the end of a film.
    I do, it was Rocky Balboa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I saw The Dark Knight in the Savoy on opening night and that got a huge round of applause!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

Any good? Since I have no friends or a woman I am bringing myself to see this next weekend!

Not bad, great visuals. I wouldn't go to the cinema that often but there are some movies that I think should be seen on the big screen. Get to an early show or wait until it's almost finished its run if you want to avoid kids.

God I really don't like the cinema... the only times I have ever gone are to comedies with mates and that sort of thing.

I find the entire cinema process rather disconcerting and every time I go I promise myself I won't go back but I always end up being talked back into it by someone.

How could you not like the cinema?? If you like movies then you must like the cinema! Movies are generally 10 times better in the cinema for some reason! Big screen + plus amazing sound! Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Ha I get asked that a lot! - well I don't like maybe 70% of movies I start to watch (the ones I do like I love) so I usually get bored and want to leave half way through but can't if I am in the cinema.

It's a big chance risking the guts of a tenner on something I am probably not going to enjoy!

Also I *love* the big screen etc but I dislike the price of refreshments a lot. Yeah you can bring your own but they're not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Speaking of refreshments, a friend of mine told me of a land where you can get rum and coke in the cinema, plus order hot food like pizzas and burgers to be delivered to your lazy boy during the movie. If I lived there I'd be in there on my own every day.

Sady this distant land is plagued by posionous spiders, convicts and giant bouncing ****ing rats....

Speaking of refreshments, a friend of mine told me of a land where you can get rum and coke in the cinema, plus order hot food like pizzas and burgers to be delivered to your lazy boy during the movie. If I lived there I'd be in there on my own every day.

Personally I'd HATE a cinema like that. Waiters scurrying to and fro during the movie, people getting loud and drunk, customers arguing "That's not what I ordered". Good lord, that would be so distracting.
    If I wanted to go out to dinner or for drinks I'd do that. I go to the cinema to enjoy a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The IFI for movies like Tree Of Life (I recently saw Taxi Driver there on my lonesome). Comfy seats and a decent pint in the foyer before and/or after.

I take the point about Harry Potter etc. I'd feel like a weirdo surrounded by kids. The IFI or the Screen could make money screening a print of that for over 18s only. A night for the big kid in all of us.:)

Careful now, some film mans might die a little on the inside at the idea of Harry Potter being shown at the IFI.

• Advertisement

The IFI for movies like Tree Of Life (I recently saw Taxi Driver there on my lonesome). Comfy seats and a decent pint in the foyer before and/or after.

I can't do the pint thing before a movie! I would be up in the middle to go for a swizzle and I hate missing any part of a movie! Pints after hell yea!

Advertisement