Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Vengeance [Starz - US] *Spoilers!*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I think the new Spartacus is growing a little into the role. The scene where he discovered Navia was still alive and made a little speech was the first time I could see him leading people.

I have to hand it to the actor who plays Crixus the scene in the Villa after he hears of Navias death could have easily slipped into being OTT grief but I found it very good.

The show is improving with each episode and I think when Gannicus comes back into it the show will be back to it's best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I guess the security at the studio isn't as good as they thought.

looks like episode 4 has been leaked online now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I guess the security at the studio isn't as good as they thought.

looks like episode 4 has been leaked online now.

Just seen it. Spoilers below seeing as it hasnt aired yet.
    Basically an episode about the manoeuvrings of Ilithyia. The Spartacus scenes were pure rubbish and served no purpose other than to have him in the episode. The great Spartacus standing guard over the camp because "He doesnt want to lose another man". While the Romans march into camp behind him and attack the rest while they sleep.

The new Spartacus cant act and cant fight, most fight scenes are slow moes of him pulling faces. Mira doesnt help the situation and scenes with the two of them are painful to watch. The increasing amount of fighting she's doing is stupid. Every show going has to write a female warrior into it at some stage it seems.

The new Naivia has one speaking scene in the entire episode, consisting of one line, she has no opportunity to take over the character which is unbelievable considering how much she features. And makes her one line seem really out of place.

The end scene is brutally bad, Mira and Spartacus side by side waiting to face the Romans, along comes Agron and the boys and its all slow motion laughter, hugs and happy music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I'm not up to date on the aired episodes but the changes from the other two series has been to big and it's loosing my interest, also the new Spartacus actor is slowly becoming more and more annoying, can't figure if it's him or if the character has been changed to hide the fact it's not the original actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

MungBean wrote: »
    Just seen it. Spoilers below seeing as it hasnt aired yet.
    Basically an episode about the manoeuvrings of Ilithyia. The Spartacus scenes were pure rubbish and served no purpose other than to have him in the episode. The great Spartacus standing guard over the camp because "He doesnt want to lose another man". While the Romans march into camp behind him and attack the rest while they sleep.

The new Spartacus cant act and cant fight, most fight scenes are slow moes of him pulling faces. Mira doesnt help the situation and scenes with the two of them are painful to watch. The increasing amount of fighting she's doing is stupid. Every show going has to write a female warrior into it at some stage it seems.

The new Naivia has one speaking scene in the entire episode, consisting of one line, she has no opportunity to take over the character which is unbelievable considering how much she features. And makes her one line seem really out of place.

The end scene is brutally bad, Mira and Spartacus side by side waiting to face the Romans, along comes Agron and the boys and its all slow motion laughter, hugs and happy music.

Ah here. Have you not seen this show before? :p

Slow mo fighting is the norm. You also have to remember that most episodes have different directors at the helm. You will notice vastly different choreography from episode to episode. i.e Crixus and spartcus' first duel in the Arena from season 1 and the "helmet cam" fight feeling very different to everything that came before and after it.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Ah here. Have you not seen this show before? :p

Slow mo fighting is the norm. You also have to remember that most episodes have different directors at the helm. You will notice vastly different choreography from episode to episode. i.e Crixus and spartcus' first duel in the Arena from season 1 and the "helmet cam" fight feeling very different to everything that came before and after it.

Yeah I've seen it and I like the fighting style but this new guy doesnt suit it. He either looks awkward and amateurish or he looks over the top throwing his head skyward and roaring.

The new Spartacus seems to me a poor actor, that also comes through in the fight scenes regardless of direction. We are four episodes in and he hasnt improved, just become more annoying and less believable. If he hasnt settled in in four 40 minute episodes I'm not sure he's going to. Methinks they made a huge mistake with this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I'm not up to date on the aired episodes but the changes from the other two series has been to big and it's loosing my interest, also the new Spartacus actor is slowly becoming more and more annoying, can't figure if it's him or if the character has been changed to hide the fact it's not the original actor.

Please please please please please please..........
    The word is spelled LOSING !!!!!
    Sheeesh !!!!!!

You must have a screw LOOSE !!!!!!!

:mad::eek::D

claiva wrote: »
    Please please please please please please..........
    The word is spelled LOSING !!!!!
    Sheeesh !!!!!!

You must have a screw LOOSE !!!!!!!

:mad::eek::D

A fit due to a spelling mistake, rather i tlk lik dis frm now on :rolleyes:

It's just pet peeves. Don't take it to heart. The one that gets my blood boiling is when people say "could of" instead of could have. Drives me mental.

Kirby wrote: »
    It's just pet peeves. Don't take it to heart. The one that gets my blood boiling is when people say "could of" instead of could have. Drives me mental.

I didn't take it to heart, just pointing out it could have been worse then one spelling mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was awesome. Sure, the new guy can barely act. Neither could Whitfield though. The fight scene in the forest reminded me of the scene in the villa with Glaber getting his men to attack Spartacus when he only had the training sword. It was just that epic imo

titan18 wrote: »
    I thought it was awesome. Sure, the new guy can barely act. Neither could Whitfield though. The fight scene in the forest reminded me of the scene in the villa with Glaber getting his men to attack Spartacus when he only had the training sword. It was just that epic imo

None of that now. A bit wooden at the start sure but he grew into the role brilliantly. The man had great screen presence by the end of the season. When he talked you listened and he was believable as a leader of men. The new lad just has no charisma.....he couldn't lead a dog on a leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 heyhay

I have unfortunately seen episode 4 of spartacus vengeance too. The good side is that the filler that we've been presented, the forest scenes, seem to have nudged mr pretty boy a tinsy bit in the right direction. The bad side is that we're already in episode 5.

And through each episode we get pushed this mira character down through our throats. She is extremely annnoying.
    I couldn't have been happier if in the combat scene after being slapped in the face the soldier had followed with a quick slice.

I can deal with new spartacus, the general "acting", the lack of quality power plays... But the "oh lol now I've turned into a brave female warrior and nothing ever happens to me cause I have female genital organs please don't mind the armed amateur fighting at your flank"? That I cannot stand. You want "strong women"? They're sipping wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 heyhay

The end scene is brutally bad, Mira and Spartacus side by side waiting to face the Romans.
    That particular scene brought grimacing disgust to my face. It's like those horrible movies posters where princesses go around round kicking people. It's like spitting on the series.
    If I had been crixus I would have jumped up and yelled execute me first me first I wanna leave this place!
    . That bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Again I have to ask: why the SPOILER tags???
    The episode has aired in the US, and the thread title clearly states "*Spoilers*"

Rovi wrote: »
    Again I have to ask: why the SPOILER tags???
    The episode has aired in the US, and the thread title clearly states "*Spoilers*"

The episode was leaked online before it aired in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

titan18 wrote: »
    I thought it was awesome. Sure, the new guy can barely act. Neither could Whitfield though

Whitfield certainly could act and got better and better as the series went on

As said above, Whitfield had charisma, this new guy has zero

But he'll do an ok job despite being a very limited actor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

haven't seen episode 4 yet but by the end of Episode 3 I was getting more into the show and accepting Liam as the new Spartacus. The story has been very slow building up again but it's still great to have the show back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It feels like the new spartacus is trying too much to be like Andy Whitfield playing Spartacus so it feels all hammed up. He is too small to be honest. Everyone seems huge compared to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

The episode was leaked online before it aired in the US.
    yet posts were still spoiler tagged after it aired:p

thought it was a very good episode, i love when illithia and lucretia are playing off each other, each one as conniving as the other (i love both actresses, they play there parts exceptionally well), i do wonder how lucretia plans on getting out of this one, she said shed going to get illithias marrage disolved yet illithias father is gonna have none of it,

i dont know why people are still talking about the difference between the two spartacuses, i can understand he doesnt look as intimidating as andy did, but what are ye expecting, hes not a clone, the acting doesnt come across as any better or worse than andys spartacus, having a new person playing spartacus has not hindered the plot or the overall acting in the show in anyway,

i do admit were missing a caracter like batiatus, someone very carismatic, a lot of backstabbing is still going on but the charisma john hanna bought to the table hasnt really been replaced, i understand senators and the like that are now chasing spartacus arent gonna be anything like batiatus as there in postions of power and all that, but it would be nice to have someone who loves talking about jupiters cock:D

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    yet posts were still spoiler tagged after it aired:p

Most people probably watch it online and not on US TV. Personally I dont even know when it airs in the US I just catch it onlin when I notice its up, I just seen someone say it was leaked so I added spoilers so as not to ruin it for people if it hadnt aired. One other person of all but 2 posts on the site also added spoilers in response to what I said.

Damned if ya do and damned if ya dont on here I think, let slip something and ya have people whinging, ya try not to let something slip and ya have people whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Damned if ya do and damned if ya dont on here I think.
    welcome to boards.ie:D

BTW spartacus airs on friday night in america,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

People complaining about the new Spartacus,I think he is alright,does the job. Its the new navia that has actually bugged me more. She is bloody shocking! Can't act to save her life. Everytime she was trying to look scared and crying,she just had this stupid ugly expression on her face. Not that its majorily important,but she is also no where near as good looking as the original actress!

However it was mostly her acting,that recasting has actually bugged me way more than Spartacus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It feels like the new spartacus is trying too much to be like Andy Whitfield playing Spartacus so it feels all hammed up. He is too small to be honest. Everyone seems huge compared to him.

In fairness i dont think any of the actors are as bulked up as they were in the last series. Crixus doesnt look fully as big as he was before either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In fairness i dont think any of the actors are as bulked up as they were in the last series. Crixus doesnt look fully as big as he was before either.

Before all they did was train and fight,now they are on the run so that regime is out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Yeh Liam is definitely more in keeping with the Kirk Douglas era sized Spartacus, fit but not exactly ripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Just wow! I'd go as far as to say that's the best episode since Spartacus brought the rain!

Given the explosive start, I thought the episode would dwindle when I saw the text "One Day Earlier". Yawn, some nonsense about how they got to be there or whatever.
    Not the case at all. It was near unrelenting from start to finish, and what a finish. Explosive is an understatement.

Bravo Spartacus. Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just wow! I'd go as far as to say that's the best episode since Spartacus brought the rain!

Given the explosive start, I thought the episode would dwindle when I saw the text "One Day Earlier". Yawn, some nonsense about how they got to be there or whatever.
    Not the case at all. It was near unrelenting from start to finish, and what a finish. Explosive is an understatement.

Bravo Spartacus. Bravo

Yup, got to agree with that. It was one of the better fight sequences they've done imo

Well.....that was suitably epic. Best episode this season. You can tell they spent a good chunk of their budget on that.

Glaber is so evil. Great stuff. :D

No more Arena. Alas, by Jupiter's cock I shall miss it so. :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Brilliant episode. Wow!
    The fighting was well executed (no pun intended).

Its gotta be more fun from here on in! LOL
    Rome will suddenly I think, kick things up a bit now!

Advertisement