Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Vengeance [Starz - US] *Spoilers!*

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Did anyone notice at the end when Spartacus was giving his "let the Romans send their legions" speech that Gannacus kind of looked upset. The camera was on everyone else cheering and chanting and swung to him and he just looked like he wasn't looking forward to it, and then when Spartacus looked to him he gave him a reluctant nod. I think he might defect from the group, after all he always did enjoy his luxuries and I can't see him living life on the run forever.
    That was the speech at the end right ? , if so he had just lost his best bud Oenomaus and likely wasn't in the mood to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Nah,he gave a nod to acknowledge that he was now part of this rebellion. If anything, Oenomaus' death will make him commit to the cause. He is in for the long haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I something I'm appreciating more and more about the show is the sub-theme on religion. Its subtle and they don't make a big song and dance about it, but they are definitely playing with the differing roles of religion. For example, you have the lax followers - like many of the fighters talk of meeting loved ones in the after life - and its apparent from how its done that this gives them strength to deal with the crazy world they live in. Then you have the ardent believers like Lucretia, who turned out to be bat **** mental all along. Then you have manipulators like Gaius who is happy to use Lucretia to his own ends. I suppose Spartacus is kind of a manipulator himself in that he doesn't really believe but is happy to play along with those that do.

Anyhow - its something I've noticed more and more in the show. And frankly I quite enjoy this subtle deconstruction of religion in society throughout the show at a time when modern religious beliefs were being crafted. I like the depiction of the very practical nature of religion back then compared to the modern ideal and hierarchical based incarnation of the same.

I can't help but feel the writers are taking a subtle or not so subtle dig at organised religion.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I something I'm appreciating more and more about the show is the sub-theme on religion. Its subtle and they don't make a big song and dance about it, but they are definitely playing with the differing roles of religion. For example, you have the lax followers - like many of the fighters talk of meeting loved ones in the after life - and its apparent from how its done that this gives them strength to deal with the crazy world they live in. Then you have the ardent believers like Lucretia, who turned out to be bat **** mental all along. Then you have manipulators like Gaius who is happy to use Lucretia to his own ends. I suppose Spartacus is kind of a manipulator himself in that he doesn't really believe but is happy to play along with those that do.

Anyhow - its something I've noticed more and more in the show. And frankly I quite enjoy this subtle deconstruction of religion in society throughout the show at a time when modern religious beliefs were being crafted. I like the depiction of the very practical nature of religion back then compared to the modern ideal and hierarchical based incarnation of the same.

I can't help but feel the writers are taking a subtle or not so subtle dig at organised religion.

Was watching a program about religion in Rome there recently , the impression I got was that much like in America now you couldn't get ahead in Rome without putting on a show of devoutness whatever there religious beliefs , to glaber it was just a means to a political end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I enjoyed the season. I think Liam, while not as good an actor as what Andy Whitfield was is doing ok as Spartacus. They seem to be making more use of the other cast members to help shore up the rest, although its not a bad thing.

Was delighted to see all the deaths in the finale, except for Mira and Oenomaus. I liked their characters. Don't know how some of you reckon Mira (Katrina Law) isn't that good looking, shes gorgeous :eek:

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, Starz have already cast Marcus Crassus and Julius Caesar for season 3.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-spartacus-julius-caesar-marcus-crassus-299087

Edit: Was just thinking there, I know its early to be talking of such things, but what do you all reckon they will do with Spartacus once the show ends, providing its ended properly and not cancelled or such. In real life the Romans reported that they never found his body after finally defeating them... Do you think they will go with him having survived and returning home, kill him, leave it a mystery, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Anyone else worried about next season considering they killed off four of the best characters who pretty much carried the show for the entire season of Vengeance in terms of quality ?

The loss of Ashur, Glaber, Lucretia and Ilythia although in keeping with the story and ending in line with the quality of their story throughout the series leaves the new cast of Romans a huge task considering the story will more than likely be split between the rebels and the Romans as previous seasons were. Meaning an entirely new cast will have to carry half the show, more if the quality of the rebel end doesnt pick up from where it left off in Vengeance.

Liam is growing into his own version of Spartacus but other characters need to be brought to the fore of the rebel camp. Gannicus had his own story throughout Vengeance so hopefully he will continue in a lead role while in camp, probably hook up with he German gal. Crixus was left behind a bit in Vengeance after the first few episodes. The Crixus vs Agron thing never really went anywhere. So hopefully they will cook up something decent for next season for both of them.

*Note this opinion was not run past the "opinion guy" to check whether it was acceptable or not so may result in ruining the thread for everyone*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I think that look that gannicus made was like 'the roman legions? Are you taking the piss sorry Spartacus but I'm not gettin involved '

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think that look that gannicus made was like 'the roman legions? Are you taking the piss sorry Spartacus but I'm not gettin involved '

yeah thats what it looked like to me as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I think Spartacus wasted a good opportunity there to tell Glabber that he shagged his wife. He's probably kicking himself.

I wonder will Illythia feature next season? Maybe she'll wander around the empty Ludus like a mad ghost, as Lucretia was doing at the start of the season.

She's dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Was it not because Gannicus believes that Spartacus has gotten even now that he's killed the man who killed his wife & it should be over! An eye for an eye n all that jazz? It's why he brought Ilythia to the camp! He doesn't believe in the cause & could be a storyline they'll play off in the next season?
    That's how I see it anyway!

MungBean wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about next season considering they killed off four of the best characters who pretty much carried the show for the entire season of Vengeance in terms of quality ?

The loss of Ashur, Glaber, Lucretia and Ilythia although in keeping with the story and ending in line with the quality of their story throughout the series leaves the new cast of Romans a huge task considering the story will more than likely be split between the rebels and the Romans as previous seasons were. Meaning an entirely new cast will have to carry half the show, more if the quality of the rebel end doesnt pick up from where it left off in Vengeance.

Liam is growing into his own version of Spartacus but other characters need to be brought to the fore of the rebel camp. Gannicus had his own story throughout Vengeance so hopefully he will continue in a lead role while in camp, probably hook up with he German gal. Crixus was left behind a bit in Vengeance after the first few episodes. The Crixus vs Agron thing never really went anywhere. So hopefully they will cook up something decent for next season for both of them.

*Note this opinion was not run past the "opinion guy" to check whether it was acceptable or not so may result in ruining the thread for everyone*

Agree completely with the bolded part, considering the way last season ended with Crixus and Spartacus coming to terms(not to mention Crixus no2 status in the 60's film) I was expecting to see more of them together then I did(but i guess they were always gonna have to resolve the find Naevia plot thread first), then you had Gannicus who was on the fence over the whole rebel cause for most of the season (untill Oenomaus's words swayed him near seasons end) and then finally you had Agron constantly questioning spartacus's authority. If season one was about proving he could fight season two was very much asking the question could he lead and by seasons end we had our and the characters questions answered on that score , so hopefully now that all three characters various issues have been addressed (Crixus=Naevia , Agron= Oenomaus, Agron=his belief in Spartacus's ability to lead) they can play a more constructive and not obstructive role in this slave rebellion.

Gannicus had been on the fence about the rebellion for most of the season but by the finale he had taken barbed words from Oenamaus to heart about him not standing for anything or something to that effect, the nod to Spartacus at the end was a tacit awknowledgement that he was finally off that fence. His lack of celebration was merely down to the fact his brother Oenamaus had just died not 5-10 mins previously. Thats my reading of it anyways because if they just have gannicus pissing on every one of Spartacus's plans again next season it will be just rehashing what happened this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The Gods deliver most exciting news! All of the blood and gore that you've grown to love in Spartacus will be present in full force next season. 100 severed limbs have already been ordered for use in the production of season 3!

https://www.facebook.com/spartacus.starz/posts/10150790062811147

3 hotties cast for season 3, pretty guaranteed they all get nekid....i know Anna hutchison already has, she recently starred in cancelled Aussie show Wild Boys:

http://tvline.com/2012/05/02/spartacus-anna-hutchison-jenna-lind-gwendoline-taylor/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Epic.

I think 10 episodes of concentrated awesome will be better than three seasons of mediocrity

CastorTroy wrote: »

:eek: - TERRIBLE decision!!!!!!!!! :mad:
    This is Starz doing, it's money....the show is VERY expensive to make. There is NO WAY you can tell this story in three seasons!!!!!!!

It needed six, Starz sliced the show in half....this is truely terrible news! :(:(:(

DeKnight gave NO indication in his many interviews that season 3 was then end + he had scripts written etc, what's gonna happen is he have to quickly rewrite the final episode and it seem totally disjointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

That show has been dragging on for too long. Vengeance showed that it had run out of ideas. Time to call a halt now after a final season

• Advertisement

At seasons end Spartacus had what 50 followers if that ? so the only way I see this working is if they skip forward 2 years or so so Spartacus could realistically have amassed the 40,000 strong army(and 30,000 non combatants) he would need to defeat the 4 armies they send against him(which we will be presumably be skipping over) prior to Crassus becoming involved , otherwise it will just be ridiculous .

If this is the last season they need to open and close with a helluva bang , kicking things off 2 years after Vengeance the opening episode should be the climax of a huge set piece battle and defeat of the 4th Roman army they have sent against him , the following episodes will following the repercussions of this in the Roman Senate aswell as the rebal camp with various factions lobbying for and against Crassus being given the powers necessary to bring this matter to a close in the former and Spartacus army next move in question To plunder? or to escape ? .
    Season would build and build until the big set piece battle at Apulia where they are defeated and then crucified along the appian way .

Have no idea whether that spoiler tag is warranted but f**k it , better safe then sorry .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Only started watching this recently, and it's actually an extremely good TV show; it kicks off to a faulty start but becomes really good as it goes on (same in the second series; faulty start but gets really good).

Hope they don't end it on the third series (though feel it's already done/set now and in production), but even if they do, think they've done an extremely good job so far.

Blooper....read the article and then watch the clip :p

http://tvline.com/2012/08/29/spartacus-bloopers-liam-mcintyre-manu-bennett-crixus/

The fact they played it straight adds to the giggles :)

http://tvline.com/2012/08/29/spartacus-bloopers-liam-mcintyre-manu-bennett-crixus/

Lol...funnny.

But I don't believe it was ad-libed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Crixus looked like he was trying to suppress a laugh begore his last line, but I'm taking it as he was pleased Gannicus was interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭eire4

Just got into this show over the past month and have so far watched seasons 1-3 and really enjoyed them. 4 episodes into the final and fourth season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bah thought there was a new one on the way.

Thargor wrote: »
    Bah thought there was a new one on the way.

Sadly season 4 was the final season. Still have 3 episodes to go to finish it.

At seasons end Spartacus had what 50 followers if that ? so the only way I see this working is if they skip forward 2 years or so so Spartacus could realistically have amassed the 40,000 strong army(and 30,000 non combatants) he would need to defeat the 4 armies they send against him(which we will be presumably be skipping over) prior to Crassus becoming involved , otherwise it will just be ridiculous .

If this is the last season they need to open and close with a helluva bang , kicking things off 2 years after Vengeance the opening episode should be the climax of a huge set piece battle and defeat of the 4th Roman army they have sent against him , the following episodes will following the repercussions of this in the Roman Senate aswell as the rebal camp with various factions lobbying for and against Crassus being given the powers necessary to bring this matter to a close in the former and Spartacus army next move in question To plunder? or to escape ? .
    Season would build and build until the big set piece battle at Apulia where they are defeated and then crucified along the appian way .

Have no idea whether that spoiler tag is warranted but f**k it , better safe then sorry .

Haha I pretty much nailed it.

To the cross *gets coat*

• Advertisement

Finished season 4 last night and what a great show. I read somewhere that originally there was supposed to be 6 seasons but that after season 3 for some reason that got cut down to only 4 and you can see during season 4 how despite for the most part following the historical record they did skip over parts.

Now what most fascinates me is what happened after the final battle. Now I thought the show did justice to the memory of Spartacus with the way they ended things but historially the only records surviving of the final battle are all Roman so hardly likely to be anything other then extremely biased. They all say Spartacus fell in the final battle. But yet his body was never found after the battle. Now the Romans could not have just picked some random body and put that on display as too many people had seen Spartacus and knew what he looked like so the distinct possibility does remain that Spartacus did survive that final battle. Certainly we will never know but given how the Romans brutally crucified 6,000 all along the Appian way after the battle the fact they never could find Spartacus to display his body is very iinteresting.

Advertisement