Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Vengeance [Starz - US] *Spoilers!*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just caught it there, TBH its seemed perfectly fine allround, i love illithia shes such a spoiled brat and her reaction when she saw lucretia was brilliant, cant wait to see her taken advantage of again, having the two of them bouncing off each other will be great fun, hopefully they play it right and batiatus wont be missed as much,

i do wonder how there gonna play out the neavia storyline and are they gonna return to capua or what,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Was a good episode , the opening was very well done but sadly it went downhill from there. Hopefully it gets better as the story develops , surprised to see lucretia back but in a good way!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts at 10pm tonight on both TV3 and Sky 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I knew the Spartacus character was recast last year, but I didn't know until today that Andy had actually died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

It's difficult when you've associated a face with a character, but I think Liam Mcintire has stepped up really well. He's got a lot of the mannerisms down and I think he'll handle the transition ok.

Last season was the ultimate guilty pleasure for me, but the new season has actually improved on it. John Hannah will be missed as well, but there's already a decent supporting cast, so I'm actually looking forward to this more!
    If they tempered the gore with some real pathos, maybe a throwback to the Kirk Douglas movie, we could have a credible drama on our hands. Not to say it isn't entertaining as hell as it is at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The new Spartacus looks very similar to the original actor. Seems a bit slow so far but i guess its just the first episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Just watched first ep - aweome - loved it.

At first I felt like the new spartacus was a bit wooden at the start but he kind of grew on me as the episode went on. He has big shoes to fill I figure give him some time.

RIP Andy Whitfield though. I was surprised there wasn't some nod to him - a flashback or something

I like where they've gone with Anameus - all dark and broody. Feckin hell he didn't half kick arse thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Divided we stand or united we fall

Together, We shall ignite an inferno"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Ok first episode nothing amazing or too exciting but I think it will come good.

Saw the preview for the 2nd episode, it's look a lot better.

It was as said slow tonight, usually Spartacus is the opposite. It was on some game of thrones type sh*t tonight :) still not bad though !

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Just watched first ep - aweome - loved it.

At first I felt like the new spartacus was a bit wooden at the start but he kind of grew on me as the episode went on. He has big shoes to fill I figure give him some time.

RIP Andy Whitfield though. I was surprised there wasn't some nod to him - a flashback or something

I like where they've gone with Anameus - all dark and broody. Feckin hell he didn't half kick arse thou!

Just before the show lastnight I said to my missus that I would love to see a flashback to Andy at the start maybe replay one of the final scenes to season 1, do a close up to Andy but as he turns around to someone calling his name..... its Liam.......

the answer I got was thats just stupid :p

happy thats its back, big fan, little bit of room for improvement but I'll be watching every week.

Saw an add for Game of Thrones during the show, April can't come soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

I am a HUGE Spartacus fan but I felt the return of the new season was an anti-climax! The city is way too built-up/modern now - probably like a couple of hundred years later. Also, the Colosseum was too built up as well and some scenes seemed very dark.

I liked Spartacus because it was authentic and rustic, almost like a rough diamond. I feel that the new episode has lost this. Also, the men are physically smaller so as not to make the new Spartacus look tiny.

Finally, I was unimpressed with the gay scenes!!! I want more naked women, violence and authenticity! Lots of room for improvement in my opinion! But I will give it a few weeks and hope it gets better.

I hope the new season of Criminal Minds does not follow suit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Good to see Gannicus is coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

07438991 wrote: »
    I am a HUGE Spartacus fan but I felt the return of the new season was an anti-climax! The city is way too built-up/modern now - probably like a couple of hundred years later. Also, the Colosseum was too built up as well and some scenes seemed very dark.

Capua(and it is capua not rome you realize?) looks no more built up then it did in blood and sand imo , as for the dark scenes you mention(oenomaus being attacked?) they take place after the games in the arena(the Colosseum is in Rome) so it is likely late enough.
    I liked Spartacus because it was authentic and rustic, almost like a rough diamond. I feel that the new episode has lost this. Also, the men are physically smaller so as not to make the new Spartacus look tiny.

Liam McIntyre is actually taller then Andy Whitfield if you're talking about height , he is granted not as buff , but I'm not seeing where you get the idea that the men are smaller this time round , I'm fairly sure they rehired all the same Gladiators/stuntmen that survived blood & Sand , are you referring to the non gladiator slaves ?
    Finally, I was unimpressed with the gay scenes!!! I want more naked women, violence and authenticity! Lots of room for improvement in my opinion! But I will give it a few weeks and hope it gets better.

lol really ???? so the 10 second strapon scene ruined that 6 minute orgy of sex and violence in the brothel for you ?

Don't worry mate with Barca dead I imagine the gay scenes will be few and far between this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

By Jupiter's c0ck it's back as good as ever, what other show could combine sex and violence so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

missed the first half hour :mad: all the listings i had said it was on thursday :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well, there was a flashback to his sex scene with Illythia :) I wonder will it emerge that Spartacus is her baby's dad. I can't remember how much time is meant to have passed between the two events though so maybe I'm clutching at straws.

I didn't like Andy's Spartacus in the first episode of the first series either but he totally grew on me over the course of the series and he's sorely missed now. I didn't like Liam in this episode either (something very caveman about this eyebrows - very distracting!) but maybe he'll grow on me over the course of the show.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well, there was a flashback to his sex scene with Illythia :) I wonder will it emerge that Spartacus is her baby's dad. I can't remember how much time is meant to have passed between the two events though so maybe I'm clutching at straws.

I didn't like Andy's Spartacus in the first episode of the first series either but he totally grew on me over the course of the series and he's sorely missed now. I didn't like Liam in this episode either (something very caveman about this eyebrows - very distracting!) but maybe he'll grow on me over the course of the show.

Haha yeah there was flashback but you couldn't see his face. Yes they pretty much plastered it across the screen that spartacus is the father. No doubt Xena will regain her memory at some point!

But yeah I also thought they could have put "In memory of Andy Whitfield" somewhere though to be fair I didn't watch all the credits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Haha yeah there was flashback but you couldn't see his face. Yes they pretty much plastered it across the screen that spartacus is the father. No doubt Xena will regain her memory at some point!

But yeah I also thought they could have put "In memory of Andy Whitfield" somewhere though to be fair I didn't watch all the credits
    they did at the end of the episode i watched

don ramo wrote: »
    they did at the end of the episode i watched

Just checked the recording - yeah so they did.
    For any curious they put a headshot of Andy smiling with shirt and jacket on and the caption "Andy Whitfield 1971 - 2011. A champion on screen, a legend in our hearts."

Hmm it something but feels like they could have put it at the start of the credits or the start of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

lucy lawless was a great comeback, the orgy scene had ever sex fetish there could be, looks to be a good season. Just think they tried to get the new Spartacus to look like the old. but it grand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Any ideas on when Episode 2 is out,

Grabbed episode 1 there nearly two weeks ago at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Episode 2 is due to air this Friday in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mochamajesty

I'm not sure how I feel about this season.

I love that Lucretia is back - but, she just won't be the same without Batiatus. These two play off of each other perfectly, and their interactions will be sorely missed.

The actor who portrays Glaber is no John Hannah (Batiatus), but he will do as the villain for now. I hope that the show focuses on Glaber more than the younger nobleman and his sister.

Liam is okay in the role, but I never really watched for Spartacus in the first place (I know, it's odd considering that Spartacus was the main character). I watched more for Batiatus/Lucretia and their political schemes. Even Crixus and his "relationships" with Lucretia/Naveia were more interesting. I could give a whit about Mira/Spartacus.

In summary, I give the pilot a 6. John Hannah's absence left a gaping hole, IMO. I will try to look past it, but I am not sure that I can.

I'm not sure how I feel about this season.

I love that Lucretia is back - but, she just won't be the same without Batiatus. These two play off of each other perfectly, and their interactions will be sorely missed.

The actor who portrays Glaber is no John Hannah (Batiatus), but he will do as the villain for now. I hope that the show focuses on Glaber more than the younger nobleman and his sister.

Liam is okay in the role, but I never really watched for Spartacus in the first place (I know, it's odd considering that Spartacus was the main character). I watched more for Batiatus/Lucretia and their political schemes. Even Crixus and his "relationships" with Lucretia/Naveia were more interesting. I could give a whit about Mira/Spartacus.

In summary, I give the pilot a 6. John Hannah's absence left a gaping hole, IMO. I will try to look past it, but I am not sure that I can.

True enough but I have a feeling Ashur will make for an able replacement in time .

True enough but I have a feeling Ashur will make for an able replacement in time .

He wasn't in the episode was he ?
    No guarantee he is in the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mochamajesty

I respectfully disagree. I think that Ashur is a good villain, but he is nowhere near Batiatus' level. I hated Ashur last season as well, but with Batiatus I had a "love to hate" sort of thing going on. :) Plus, he played so well off of Lucy Lawless, that to see one without the other is.... jarring. I guess one of them is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

[QUOTE=PhiloCypher;

lol really ???? so the 10 second strapon scene ruined that 6 minute orgy of sex and violence in the brothel for you ?

Don't worry mate with Barca dead I imagine the gay scenes will be few and far between this season.[/QUOTE]

The 10 second strap on scene and the gay oral scene!!! Still don't think that the orgy scene was long enough...

Also, the two girls breasts look more saggy - not as perky as last season!

He wasn't in the episode was he ?
    No guarantee he is in the season

He wasn't in the first ep but he will feature this season ,he's been in trailers and mentioned in interviews .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

missed the first half hour :mad: all the listings i had said it was on thursday :mad:

It's on Sky 2 tonight at 11pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I thought John Hannah was shockingly poor as Batiatus. Every line was delivered at high volume, like he was reading from a script out loud. I have seen him in other films where he has been better e.g. Sliding Doors. I don't understand why he came across so amateurish in Spartacus

Advertisement