Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Vengeance [Starz - US] *Spoilers!*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I thought John Hannah was shockingly poor as Batiatus. Every line was delivered at high volume, like he was reading from a script out loud. I have seen him in other films where he has been better e.g. Sliding Doors. I don't understand why he came across so amateurish in Spartacus

The acting muscles required to pull off the character in sliding doors and spartacus are entirely different, one more visceral one more subtle neither is better then the other imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

My ears hear a tempest but my eyes spy a wife gone fooking mad

Love that quote, it was all in the delivery

Batiatus is badly missed, show isn't the same without him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I thought John Hannah was shockingly poor as Batiatus. Every line was delivered at high volume, like he was reading from a script out loud. I have seen him in other films where he has been better e.g. Sliding Doors. I don't understand why he came across so amateurish in Spartacus
    Personally I though he was fantastic and made the show what it was. He did play the role in kind of a stagey/thespian way, rather than going for a more natural manner. That may grate with some, but I thought it worked brilliantly and fit in perfectly with the highly stylised violence and gore, and the pseudo-historical type of dialog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Second episode moving things along nicely.
    Ashur you dirty rat bastard !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mochamajesty

I am trying to hang in there. But every time I see Lucy Lawless, I can't help but notice the gaping hole Batiatus left. This was really noticeable during the pissing contest between Glaber and YoungNobleman (forgot his name).

It was nice to see Oenamius' past, and I look forward to next week, now that he is united with Lucretia and Ashur.

I do wonder if Lucretia is faking; this episode left it ambiguous.

And they keep introducing new characters who I don't care about while I struggle to care about the remaining characters.

I will give it until the fourth episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

<snip)

Oi - use the spoiler function most people haven't seen this yet

They haven't? :confused:

This airs at 10pm Eastern in the States; what timezone/date are we using?

I apologize, I didn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This thread is for the [Starz - US] (see thread title) pace of the show, so I'd be of the opinion that the best part of a day later, spoiler tags are unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Don't come into the thread then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Very good episode, nice to see the back story of Oenomaus and the return of Ashur. Thought the new Spartacus was grand as well, however seems like the story of Spartacus is taking a back seat this season.

Still do not think Glaber is a good villain yet, no where near Batiatus. I even find myself hating Seppius more than him.

Overall it was a good episode plenty of blood anyway, there should be a bath scene with Ilithyia in every episode.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I reckon they will really regret killing off Batiatus come the end of the season. I havent seen S02E02 yet but In my own head I can imagine better storylines if he killed glaber and Batiatus got away last season. I'm sure in the end we won't care but IMHO they have missed a huge opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Rovi wrote: »
    This thread is for the [Starz - US] (see thread title) pace of the show, so I'd be of the opinion that the best part of a day later, spoiler tags are unnecessary.
    yeah this airs first in the US so as long as aired you can talk freely about it, and if you havent then youll have to bite toungh and stay away :D

a good episode, i wonder though how big a part galber is gonna play this season, like most people i dont consider him a good bad guy, silvius ( i think that his name anyway) i think might play a bigger part,

loved the twist at the end of ashur and lucretia working together, it seems she hasnt forgotten anything and is still as devious as ever, biding her time, though i wouldnt mind galber slitting that snake ashurs throat next week,

i hope they find nevia soon and head back to capua, dont think they can stay out searching for her for that long without it having a negative affect on the story,

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah this airs first in the US so as long as aired you can talk freely about it, and if you havent then youll have to bite toungh and stay away :D

a good episode, i wonder though how big a part galber is gonna play this season, like most people i dont consider him a good bad guy, silvius ( i think that his name anyway) i think might play a bigger part,

loved the twist at the end of ashur and lucretia working together, it seems she hasnt forgotten anything and is still as devious as ever, biding her time, though i wouldnt mind galber slitting that snake ashurs throat next week,

i hope they find nevia soon and head back to capua, dont think they can stay out searching for her for that long without it having a negative affect on the story,

Reckon there'll be about 2 episodes,possibly 3 before they're back in Capua. Probably get the return of
    Gannicus
    in this period too.

Actually looking at the story, they might never return to Capua

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

ziedth wrote: »
    I reckon they will really regret killing off Batiatus come the end of the season. I havent seen S02E02 yet but In my own head I can imagine better storylines if he killed glaber and Batiatus got away last season. I'm sure in the end we won't care but IMHO they have missed a huge opportunity.

Glaber is a historical figure so he was never gonna be killed off that early in the story, but I agree Batiatus is missed , he made Spartacus's somewhat idiosyncratic dialogue shine, something I feel Liam McIntyre is failing to do thus far, maybe it's just because he's not Andy but the grammar just seems unnecessarily complicated for me.

Another bugbear for me is how slight and unripped Liam McIntyre is compared to his fellow gladiators , he's actually is no more ripped then the house slaves the gladiators look down on , he seriously need's to bulk up for next season or at the very least wear armour so it doesn't stand out as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

titan18 wrote: »

Actually looking at the story, they might never return to Capua

Most of the sets are Capua based. They can reuse the villa and ludus and pretend they are different villa's as they have done that already. But they can't green screen the whole thing so I would imagine all of season 2 will be based around Capua.

Another bugbear for me is how slight and unripped Liam McIntyre is compared to his fellow gladiators , he's actually is no more ripped then the house slaves the gladiators look down on , he seriously need's to bulk up for next season or at the very least wear armour so it doesn't stand out as much.

No doubt about it. He only had a few months to bulk up and it shows. He is taller than Andy aswell which makes it more noticable. 90% of the cast are roid fiends so he looks hopelessly out of place. I would imagine he will be more buff for season 3.

Personally, I'm glad it's been revealed that Lucretia is faking it and just playing mad. Devious villans are way more fun than crazy villans.

Kirby wrote: »
    Most of the sets are Capua based. They can reuse the villa and ludus and pretend they are different villa's as they have done that already. But they can't green screen the whole thing so I would imagine all of season 2 will be based around Capua.

I imagine a lot of it will be in Capua, but I don't think Spartacus will be back there much.

Rovi wrote: »
    titan18 wrote: »
    Don't come into the thread then

I'm sorry are we on boards.us ?????

Hmm no no we are not. This is an Irish site. The show airs on Sky here on a monday night, so unless you guys are in the US or you know illegally downloading it, most people on here won't have seen it till the monday night. Oh yes there is US in the title of this thread - so what - there isn't any other active Spartacus thread on boards.

Reporting this post myself FAO mods. Jeesh guys show a little common sense and curtesy for othere boardsies please would ya ? Tis a very small inconvenience to use spoiler tags

Hmm no no we are not. This is an Irish site. The show airs on Sky here on a monday night, so unless you guys are in the US or you know illegally downloading it, most people on here won't have seen it till the monday night. Oh yes there is US in the title of this thread - so what - there isn't any other active Spartacus thread on boards.

Reporting this post myself FAO mods. Jeesh guys show a little common sense and curtesy for othere boardsies please would ya ? Tis a very small inconvenience to use spoiler tags

It says Spoilers in the thread title,so if you come in here,expect spoilers. It says Starz-US which shows you what air dates it's going on. That's how it always works.

It may not be much of an inconvenience to use spoiler tags, but it's not an inconvenience for you not to come in here until you've seen the latest episode.

I read the charter before posting and nowhere does it specify that we have to wait until the episode aired in Ireland. A mod posted in this thread that spoiler tags are unnecessary. What more do you need

And speaking of courtesy, the tone of your posts could use some.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ thread clearly states US - ergo at US pace which is episode 2.....if yer watching on TV3 or Sky just wait a few days, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The new blonde slave girl is a nice bit of eye candy...

Oh I see you are insisting on some strange nonsensical rules that only TV forum regulars would know. I'll just unfollow the only Spartacus thread on boards, you know an Irish based website where the vast majority of members only get Irish tv times - I weep for the poor boards randomers who will wander in here having searched for spartacus, ignorant of the intricacies of TV forum rules as I once was, finding only this thread and then learning thing they didn't want to know yet.

Still, I suppose you guys will know this pain when you subscribe to The Frontline and Vincent Brown threads and they haven't yet aired in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Glaber has the most menacing voice, just downright threatening

With Batatius gone he's the best actor on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've started a new thread for those who are watching on Sky. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Mr E wrote: »
    I've started a new thread for those who are watching on Sky. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Oh right thanks Mr E.
    Sound mods here I must say ;)
    Jeesh I'll have to think of semi-intelligent stuff to actually say now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Oh I see you are insisting on some strange nonsensical rules that only TV forum regulars would know. I'll just unfollow the only Spartacus thread on boards, you know an Irish based website where the vast majority of members only get Irish tv times - I weep for the poor boards randomers who will wander in here having searched for spartacus, ignorant of the intricacies of TV forum rules as I once was, finding only this thread and then learning thing they didn't want to know yet.

Still, I suppose you guys will know this pain when you subscribe to The Frontline and Vincent Brown threads and they haven't yet aired in the US.
    so make and ireland pace thread, simples:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No worries.... I'm just glad you didn't say it this way:
    Oh right thanks Mr E.
    Semi-intelligent mods here I must say ;)
    Jeesh I'll have to think of sound stuff to actually say now!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Mr E wrote: »
    No worries.... I'm just glad you didn't say it this way:

:)

You're mad to lash the ban hammer....aren't ya? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Very amusing thread this is.

Advertisement