Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

goblin59 wrote: »
    sounds like it hasn't changed then.
    My IBT theory was the same back in November

So do you actually get bike practice in on the first day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

TobinIT wrote: »
    So do you actually get bike practice in on the first day?

As far as I’m told you don’t, my IBT said I don’t need gear for the first day, payment, Licence and lunch. I’m sure all IBT’s are run differently though.

As far as I’m told you don’t, my IBT said I don’t need gear for the first day, payment, Licence and lunch. I’m sure all IBT’s are run differently though.

Can I still sit in my helmet and gloves? :D

Can I still sit in my helmet and gloves? :D

I do that playing The Xbox lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭goblin59

probably depends on the instructor.
    My IBT was done over 3 days (would have been 2 days but i squeezed the front break too hard on the SV650 was doing slow riding and dropped it, so my instructor wouldn't let me progress until i stopped using the front as much when going slow)

first day was split in two, few hours of theory followed by going on a Suzuki GN125 to learn basic bike control.
    each day is about 6 - 7 hours long btw, arrive at 9am and finish around 4 / 5pm with a half hour lunch in the middle.

Second day was a little more theory in the morning and then an hour on the GN 125 before going to a suzuki SV650 for the rest of the day.

Day 3 was practise in the morning, and then actual IBT in the afternoon.

• Advertisement

My IBT was done over 3 days (would have been 2 days but i squeezed the front break too hard on the SV650 was doing slow riding and dropped it, so my instructor wouldn't let me progress until i stopped using the front as much when going slow)

first day was split in two, few hours of theory followed by going on a Suzuki GN125 to learn basic bike control.
    each day is about 6 - 7 hours long btw, arrive at 9am and finish around 4 / 5pm with a half hour lunch in the middle.

Second day was a little more theory in the morning and then an hour on the GN 125 before going to a suzuki SV650 for the rest of the day.

Were you told to use the rear brake much more when going slow riding? My IBT is 10-4pm for Theory all day and 9:30-3/4pm All riding the second day. Which for me sounds good cause l I’ll have a days experience on bikes so from Zero (basically to 6 hours experience which is cool) all going well I can buy a bike and ride it home from most places in the country then.

Few guys I have chatted to said they were all on bikes the first day as they had done some riding in the past so instructor was happy to get them going again,

It's been 20 Years since I was last on a bike so hoping to get as much time on the bike as possible

Were you told to use the rear brake much more when going slow riding? My IBT is 10-4pm for Theory all day and 9:30-3/4pm All riding the second day. Which for me sounds good cause l I’ll have a days experience on bikes so from Zero (basically to 6 hours experience which is cool) all going well I can buy a bike and ride it home from most places in the country then.

So have you a bike in mind when you go shopping?

So have you a bike in mind when you go shopping?

I do indeed, Dragstar 650 :D how about yourself?

That's a nice machine, wonder are they heavy?

I'm more into sportsbikes myself so currently looking at Kawasaki ER6F \ Honda CBR650F \ Suzuki GSXF,

• Advertisement

That's a nice machine, wonder are they heavy?

I'm more into sportsbikes myself so currently looking at Kawasaki ER6F \ Honda CBR650F \ Suzuki GSXF,

Really, my friend is selling an ER6F. I believe they are a good weight bike the Dragstar, was looking at a lovely Suzuki S40 aswell 2014 for 3,999 looks very nice.

What year is it?

Does he have it on DD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Best to just wait and take on board whatever your instructor advises on the day, I could tell you to use lots of back brake for slow riding but it's best just to be a blank canvas on the day. The most important thing I can tell you before you get on a bike is, look where you want to go, forget everything else you've learned, read, heard or watched, when you sit on the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If you're going slow don't use the front at all, just use your rear brake.

I was going slow and preparing for a right hand turn and used my front brake too harshly, it caused the front to dive and shifted all the weight to the front right causing me to drop it.

zubair wrote: »
    Best to just wait and take on board whatever your instructor advises on the day, I could tell you to use lots of back brake for slow riding but it's best just to be a blank canvas on the day. The most important thing I can tell you before you get on a bike is, look where you want to go, forget everything else you've learned, read, heard or watched, when you sit on the saddle.

Yea my mate was telling me that when I was on his bike, I was looking down to change gears but after a few goes I was looking up and letting my foot do the work, it was only 20 yards in first gear and releasing the clutch slowly but nice experience. Rev bombed thank god I had the clutch tight in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'm finding it comes down alot to the bike as well
    My F650GS twin feels completely different to the SV650 I was learning on.
    The SV was more forgiving with clutch control as it had an ECU assisted clutch and the V twin was a little better for balance.

but the F650GS just feels nicer for me as the riding position is more comfortable, the suspension is completely different too, the front forks don't dive as much either.
    Plus getting decent touring panniers and equipment is much handier on the GS.
    I wanted a bike to take on long trips and i couldn't see myself doing that on a SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

anplaya27 wrote: »
    In fairness there is a huge huge huge difference between being profoundly Deaf as in Irish Sign language user (culturally Deaf) to being a hearing aid user . Our language is recognised in legislation as a native language of Ireland since 2017. So they have to accommodate me in my native language by law as a public body otherwise they are discriminating.

Unfortunately this accommodation isn't always forthcoming, here's a case from Sweden:

Lisa from Sweden wants to ride, but ‘the system’ won’t let her

Keep on at the RSA, and contact MAG Ireland too. If you don't get anywhere then get onto your local TDs and the transport spokespersons in all the political parties. Play up the angle of needing a licence to ride to work, etc.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

When I did mine last year it was 4 1/2 days (9-1 jobs) and we were on a bike the first day. Well it was pootling around the carpark on a 125 in first gear but still an eye-opener for a total noob like me :D

But as you say its down to the instructor and how they like to do things.

When I did mine last year it was 4 1/2 days (9-1 jobs) and we were on a bike the first day. Well it was pootling around the carpark on a 125 in first gear but still an eye-opener for a total noob like me :D

But as you say its down to the instructor and how they like to do things.
    I’m in the same boat (bike lol) I’m sure it’ll start on 125 and get used to the basics and go from there. I know when I done it on my friends bike it was a huge step cause it feels like so much to do together but after few roll ups and holding the bike between my legs I got the hang of the size of the bike and the balance I was nearly feet off the floor completely so looking forward to getting up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

One word of caution lads...

Someone here mentioned buying a bike immediately after their IBT.

Just make sure you have competent enough skills to drive the bike home. My first IBT (I won't name the school) signed off on me, even though in retrospect, I was absolutely not competent. I got a friend to help me buy a bike, but I drove it home and somehow didn't have an accident wobbling all over the place, cutting out, etc.

There's no harm getting a biker to drive it home for you, then getting used to it in a quiet area on your own time, rather than straight onto public roads.

Thankfully, I topped that poor IBT up with a refresher by Aaron Rider Training and they did a very good job tightening up my skills. But just a small tip there, don't run before you can walk because a stumble on a bike can be very nasty indeed.

• Advertisement

One word of caution lads...

Someone here mentioned buying a bike immediately after their IBT.

Just make sure you have competent enough skills to drive the bike home. My first IBT (I won't name the school) signed off on me, even though in retrospect, I was absolutely not competent. I got a friend to help me buy a bike, but I drove it home and somehow didn't have an accident wobbling all over the place, cutting out, etc.

There's no harm getting a biker to drive it home for you, then getting used to it in a quiet area on your own time, rather than straight onto public roads.

Thankfully, I topped that poor IBT up with a refresher by Aaron Rider Training and they did a very good job tightening up my skills. But just a small tip there, don't run before you can walk because a stumble on a bike can be very nasty indeed.

Absolutely man, luckily my two biker friends have offered to drive it home if I’m not confident so that’s a great tip indeed. Fair play Jimmy.

Absolutely man, luckily my two biker friends have offered to drive it home if I’m not confident so that’s a great tip indeed. Fair play Jimmy.

What do your mates ride? Asking because of your own bike preference.

What do your mates ride? Asking because of your own bike preference.

Suzuki Intruder M800 & Kawasaki 650 ER6F & Honda Shadow 750. My bike preference is based on my likes Aesthetically and what I’ve always loved is Cruisers for me would match my personality much better then other types of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Suzuki Intruder M800 & Kawasaki 650 ER6F & Honda Shadow 750. My bike preference is based on my likes Aesthetically and what I’ve always loved is Cruisers for me would match my personality much better then other types of bikes.

I really wanted a cruiser starting off, bought a naked though as it made sense and never ever liked sport bikes.
    Just bought a sport tourer :D
    And may well look at a cruiser down the road if I can get one with enough pep to it.

It's one thing that's nice about bikes, there's so much variety.

Birds of a a feather. :-)

Is it today or next Saturday you're starting?

Birds of a a feather. :-)

Is it today or next Saturday you're starting?

My mate with the Kawasaki is looking to upgrade to a cruiser too lol

Next Saturday. We’ll have our own crew, we went off last week for 3 hours around Wexford it was class as a passenger going across the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy bridge on a bike, that experience just wetted my appetite even more. Great way to see Ireland down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Hi I'm 28 and have theory test next week I want to get a 600 so what are the steps after theory.. Is it book ibt... Also can I get insured before the ibt and drive or do I have to pass that first.. Thanks in advance

steven087 wrote: »
    Hi I'm 28 and have theory test next week I want to get a 600 so what are the steps after theory.. Is it book ibt... Also can I get insured before the ibt and drive or do I have to pass that first.. Thanks in advance

Apply for your permit after passing theory, once you have your permit you can do the IBT, after passing IBT you can get insured and ride. *Some companies will insure you before the IBT but you're only covered while under instruction and the IBT must be completed within x weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Apply for your permit after passing theory, once you have your permit you can do the IBT, after passing IBT you can get insured and ride. *Some companies will insure you before the IBT but you're only covered while under instruction and the IBT must be completed within x weeks.

Thanks
    Also do you still have to book ndls centre or are they doing walk ins

• Advertisement

steven087 wrote: »
    Thanks
    Also do you still have to book ndls centre or are they doing walk ins

Book online, no walk ins at the moment. Once you apply for your Licence you can book IBT if it more then say a 3 week wait so you’ll definitely have your physical licence by then. Best of luck with your Theory Test, done mine few weeks back, just take your time and use the App is great

Advertisement