Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

I am a hearing aid user myself and down here in Kerry, its slow process indeed doing IBT and the test. I am lucky the IBT instructor took me on, as back then, 3 years ago, there was no one else in Kerry who got back to me. Keep in mind a lot of IBT and bike schools are run part-time over the weekends. They all do their best in my opinion. I did not use the radio system but the old school method of hand signals and lots of stopping and going. It was slow as I said. The RSA, on the other hand, have fobbed it all of to the bike schools to deal with and when I turned up for my test last year the instructor had no idea about my hearing, I had mentioned it on my application, and the whole things was a disaster. The test was written off as not compleat due to communications problems. Have been waiting for a new test since. And there is the RSA having a go at learner permit holders for not doing tests!

In fairness there is a huge huge huge difference between being profoundly Deaf as in Irish Sign language user (culturally Deaf) to being a hearing aid user . Our language is recognised in legislation as a native language of Ireland since 2017. So they have to accommodate me in my native language by law as a public body otherwise they are discriminating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

zubair wrote: »
    Have you sat on an FZ yet? I know which one I'd be more comfortable on.

No not yet, everyone’s different and their asses that sit on bikes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

No not yet, everyone’s different and their asses that sit on bikes lol

Haha, in that case we have a future FZ owner in our midst.

Haha, in that case we have a future FZ owner in our midst.

Hahaha brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Givi boxes. Are they interchangeable between bikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

sm3ar wrote: »

Yes and No - yes the box can be moved from bike to bike if both bikes have the same rack/tray installed (Monokey -bigger and stronger or Monolock -lighter and smaller) but no the mounting hardware is specific to the bike & its mounting points.

For example look up both bikes fittings here (https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/c5-bike-specific-givi-products/) and you'll see the difference. There are other suppliers who make universal (or mostly universal) kits such as xlmoto etc.

The boxes are interchangeable between racks, there are 2 connection types, monokey and monlock, they both have different standards of fitting. The rack fittings are bike specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Yes and No - yes the box can be moved from bike to bike if both bikes have the same rack/tray installed (Monokey -bigger and stronger or Monolock -lighter and smaller) but no the mounting hardware is specific to the bike & its mounting points.

For example look up both bikes fittings here (https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/c5-bike-specific-givi-products/) and you'll see the difference. There are other suppliers who make universal (or mostly universal) kits such as xlmoto etc.

Can you check that link. Doesn't seem to open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

https://www.givi.co.uk/

Try this link.

I use a GIVI topbox on my bike, Dad has a few different sized ones,
    I bought the Monokey mounting plate, and can swap top boxes around with his bike as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Bad News posted on Facebook about 15 minutes ago, Aaron Rider Training are gone

• Advertisement

Jeez that’s bad news, their set up looked unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

That's really unfortunate and bad news. Half the bike school on the RSA website now appear to be out of business!
    I guess we will hear more in the coming days.

Dan.

That's really unfortunate and bad news. Half the bike school on the RSA website now appear to be out of business!
    I guess we will hear more in the coming days.

I know the Waterford school is changing too, Richard was telling me they are in the midst of changing atm but I think it’s just changing name and he’s going out on his own in what I read in the details he was telling me. You can help out your local IBT Centres by buying gear from them that they don’t use anymore due to covid restrictions, I know Waterford IBT are selling stock off at heavily discounted prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I know the Waterford school is changing too, Richard was telling me they are in the midst of changing atm but I think it’s just changing name and he’s going out on his own in what I read in the details he was telling me. You can help out your local IBT Centres by buying gear from them that they don’t use anymore due to covid restrictions, I know Waterford IBT are selling stock off at heavily discounted prices.

How do you hear about which schools are selling it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Sorry https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/c5-bike-specific-givi-products/ The ) at the end got included in the link previously. The link posted direct to Givi website by Goblin59 is probably more useful anyway.

How do you hear about which schools are selling it off?

Ring them up, sure they can’t use the PPE anymore due to Covid so worth chancing any of them but my IBT instructor told me he’s selling gear when I booked it. I’m sure they’ll all be looking too short the second hand gear. Richard in Waterford said he’d throughly washed the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Is it possible to do the IBT on weekend days? either in one weekend (Saturday and Sunday) or on 2 separate Sundays?

I contacted a few schools and they all seem to do the first day on a Sunday and then the 2nd is on either a Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

NotMOL wrote: »
    Is it possible to do the IBT on weekend days? either in one weekend (Saturday and Sunday) or on 2 separate Sundays?

I contacted a few schools and they all seem to do the first day on a Sunday and then the 2nd is on either a Monday or Tuesday.

Depends on the school and if they are doing it full time \ part time

I am doing mine on a Monday & Tuesday, at the time they said I could take any day they didn't need to be 2 days together,

TobinIT wrote: »
    Depends on the school and if they are doing it full time \ part time

I am doing mine on a Monday & Tuesday, at the time they said I could take any day they didn't need to be 2 days together,

I’m sure if someone explains it there wouldn’t be an issue, mine is Saturday (Theory) and a Thursday (Practical) weekends I’d say could be a long waiting list.

How did everyone find the Theory part of the IBT? I have mine next Saturday, excited to get it up and running. I’ve barely researched everything on bikes and been reading a brilliant Police Rider book too so anything that surprised ye or your general experience of the Theory or Practical please share for us “Newbies” :D

• Advertisement

How did everyone find the Theory part of the IBT? I have mine next Saturday, excited to get it up and running. I’ve barely researched everything on bikes and been reading a brilliant Police Rider book too so anything that surprised ye or your general experience of the Theory or Practical please share for us “Newbies” :D

I've mine in a few weeks also so would definitely appreciate any suggestions to get the most out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

How did everyone find the Theory part of the IBT?

Brief :pac:

Brief :pac:

Like your reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Like your reply :D

To be fair in my case it was similar. A few questions about bike controls, and the ROTR.

Mine was with Mick F years ago so I'm pretty sure we did a Powder check, waited for him to finish his coffee/smoke and then went for a spin XD

Mine was with Mick F years ago so I'm pretty sure we did a Powder check, waited for him to finish his coffee/smoke and then went for a spin XD

Powder check? Lol what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I think the powder check is
    P Petrol [is there at least half a tank full]
    O oil [dip stick or view window]
    w water/coolant
    D damage [to the bike]
    E Electrics [lights indicators working]
    R rubber/tyres

Dan.

w water/coolant
    D damage [to the bike]
    R rubber/tyres

its in the IBT Manual, Worth having a read just to get an idea of what's covered,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

sounds like it hasn't changed then.
    My IBT theory was the same back in November

• Advertisement

w water/coolant
    D damage [to the bike]
    R rubber/tyres

Thank you so much :) Should be a sticky at the front of this thread

Advertisement