Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

OK, today's Learner question on licences is this:

My daughter has an A2 LP and has been on a waiting list for 6+ months to get IBT. Not bothered about that too much, as she spent the time taking and passing her HGV test........she passed today.

The issue though is, she will be 24 in the Spring. As her current LP is A2, it has occurred to her/us that may be she should wait until then to do IBT and just do it on an A instead. The thing is, that means she'll need to renew her LP by then. Can she renew her A2 LP as an A, if she's still not got her IBT done ?

There's no way she can do IBT for A at 23, is there ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If she hasn't done her ibt, she can just change at the time to an A.

She shouldn't be waiting that long for an ibt... Try Eric Dalton at kinnegad plaza, he shifted stuff around to get me a place within a couple of weeks and I wasn't even pushing to get it in a panic...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There are a few of them who work out of Kinnegad Plaza. My stepson was down there earlier , he only had a week of waiting.

I assume you’re in Galway going by your name but Kinnegad is relatively accessible.

Post edited by knucklehead6 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Any recommendations for material to learn for the theory test? The official one from the RSA website doesn't seem to be working, as it doesn't accept payments.

I used the RSA app... €12, but it was worth it.

• Advertisement

That’s the one I’m trying to use, but they seem to have an issue with accepting card payments. Tried a few cards, ans used a few devices.

I'm not sure you're doing it right... you don't pay for it on the RSA website, you pay for it on the Google Play store (or apple store) and pay for it through the Google system...

Thanks, I did further searching after reading your email earlier. Originally when searching I was directed to their online learning portal, rather than the app.

https://dttstore.prometric.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Young fella passed his A1 test last Tuesday, delighted for him. Thinking we might go for A2 test Spring/Summer 2025. He only turns 18 next June 2024, can't get A2 provisional until then, then it looks like needs to wait for 6 months (though already passed a test). There's an RSA diagram that's a bit confusing, if you start on A1 and get test it seems to say you'd need to have full licence for 2 years before get A2 learner permit (August 2025 & then wait 6 months from there), but if you go direct at age 18 you can get a learner permit straight away (after IBT), say July 2024 and only have to wait 6 months (so in his case December 2024, 6 months from when turns 18).

Seems odd to me that they would penalise you for having already passed a test... My guess is he'll be given a learner permit for A2 at age 18, wait 6 months (again odd that rule should apply since you're already licenced), and then go for A2 test.

Advantage then is that he can do progression (IBT module) to get full A at age 20 (assuming 2 years after passing A2).

There's probably an argument to say don't bother doing A1 test, wait until 18 and start on A2, but it might help with insurance and, probably most importantly, I think a test forces you to get good, learn good habits, get some road knowledge into you.

Anyone any experience of the whole A2 learner permit off the back of a full A1??, is a 2 years or a turn 18 thing?

TBH not entirely sure the whole system makes sense, I ride an A class bike and sometimes the young fellas A1 class - around the urban test routes there's not much difference (as compared to the open roads). Repeatedly testing people on slow roads, with just bigger capacity bikes..... not sure anyone is really learning anything new. I agree with the whole "slow release", as you get older you're allowed more powerful bikes, just not sure the repeated testing adds anything.🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's just the 2 years wait for progressive route and then you do the upgrade IBT, and then you've the full A2 as soon as you apply and get the new license. The 6 months is waiting for test only you don't have that for the progressive, and if doing the direct route the 2 years don't apply if you've got the lower license.

But ye he's better off doing the direct route for A2 in any case, also if he's not got it get that public service card that'd be better.

When you pass the test you still have the learner only until you get the actual full license so that means either going in or using the online system if you've got the public services card.

I don't think there's walk ins anymore for NDLS centre so you'd be waiting for a day to get them to get it in person, but you can do a walk in for the Intero offices and get the public service card.

I got the public services card as I needed to renew learner license anyway so a lunchtime waiting at Intero office meant I could then renew learner and then when I got the full test I applied online as soon as I got home from test. My license states it was valid from the online application day so I'd the full license even if I'd not gotten it in the post the day I passed the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My local Intreo office does PSC walk-ins according to their website, but when I tried that a few months back I was told to come back at a specific time the next day...

Repeatedly testing people on slow roads, with just bigger capacity bikes..... not sure anyone is really learning anything new.

Yep and I read an article on the FEMA website the other day about this.

We have still not seen proof that staged access to the A-licence had a positive effect on road safety.

Progressive access to the A-licence has been mentioned by us many times. There still is no proof that this has a positive effect on road safety. The EC refers to a French pilot but doesn’t give a link to it and such a pilot is not known by us or our French colleagues. Therefor we cannot consider this to be a valid argument to maintain a system that has little or no additional value to road safety and only provides an extra threshold for novice riders to gain a full A-licence. We have also already explained to the Commission, that the current system does not work as it is supposed to do and in certain countries only very few novice riders go through all the steps. On national statistics of issued driving licences we see a sharp decline of A-licences issued to riders under 25 years old after 2013 when the 3DLD was implemented. Nevertheless, statistics show that this does not lead to less crashes with serious injuries or fatalities.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Can somebody help me understand something on license categories? A lot of websites list the Royal Enfield Himalyan and Classoc 350s as good A2 license bikes. It is also above the A1 license requirements. However from what I can see it's not eligible to be used for the A2 test.

What's going on? Does this mean you need an A2 license to ride it but can't actually yet an A2 license on it? Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

A category A2 vehicle is defined as a motorcycle without a sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 245cm3. It has an engine power of at least 20 kW, but not exceeding 35 kW. It has a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg., and is not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

I think both bikes listed fails the kW in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep, legal to ride on an A2 licence but not suitable to take the A2 test on.

There are bikes in class A which are the same.

Life ain't always empty.

Is that for the license or the test?

The NDLS just lists the max kwh, not the minimum (https://www.ndls.ie/about/motorcycles.html). I had understood (as of last night) the minimum kwh requirement apploed for test purposes, but a bike fell below this but above the A1 limit would still be considered A2. The Royal Enfield 350s are certainly sold as A2.

Otherwise wouldn't they fall in a no man's land since they would be too powerful for an A1?

It seems a little absurd? What would happen if you tried to take the test on this? Would they just give you an A1 license? But then need to keep an A2 learner permit to ride it?

Or can you just flat out not do the test On this?

Either way, I think this means the Classic 350 is probably out for me. Any suggestions for an alternative? I'm looking for a classic/retro look and nothing too powerful. Will mostly use for a commute but would like to be able to do some longer weekend riding in the summer.

I booked lessons and pretest with Eric Dalton and he allowed me to use his bike for the test without additional charge... my bike is basically an A bike, but doesn't quite meet the criteria for the test.

It might be a worthwhile approach for you so that you can get the bike you want and not just something that works for the test.

For Royal Enfield they phased out the 500cc engine, I think they're meant to still be selling the Bullet 500 here but can't see it.

The bullet and the classic are practically the same, so you could look at the 500cc version of both used if you can find one. Maybe give dealer a call and ask or give number.

I'd probably prefer the 500 vs the 350 if you wanted retro RE as they both got electric and kick start compared to the current 350 which is only electric. Ye you'll probably only use it once or twice, but for retro it's better than a button.

The current 650's are just at the 35 but you can't get the cruiser model here yet, the 650 is getting put into a lot from them. Personally really like Interceptor 650.

You can always just borrow a bike from the person you've done the lesson with a buy whatever after.

Where i was they did them every day from 2pm, but when I was waiting for mine the guy at the door turned away some people looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Thanks for the tip re the Public Services Card, we did a walk in in Limerick yesterday and got 2 of us signed up within an hour (about 10 mins at the counter, the rest waiting to get to counter). Didn't seem pushed re proof of address (which can be a hassle for young fellas), we had passports - seemed to work solely off that. Card will take 7-14 days but I got a message today and can now access everything online (PRSI contributions record for example). So I think young fella should be able to apply for full A1 licence this evening (even without having the card in his hand).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 mossiepark

Hi all,

After a whole lot of deliberation, I've finally got myself back onto a bike (or at least it's being delivered next week). It's been a fair few years since I had a bike.

I was hoping someone could advise me on where I could buy luggage (top box) and crash bars. Obviously, lots of brands online such as sw mototech, heed, givi etc but it's not entirely clear where is best to purchase. I'm not great with DIY so might be better off buying local? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mossiepark

Sorry, that should have been the first thing i put in....its a F750gs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

I'm sure BMW will fit it for you!

Failing that, it depends on where you are based. If you're near Dublin, give City Spares Motorcyles a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They've been sharing some mad things on their socials. If you're not white and Irish you might not be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Just saw some stuff on FB stories. Personal opinion of course

I'm in with them most weeks, and have only ever seen them treating everyone with respect, men, women, transgenders, black, white, asian, irish, european, immigrant, it doesn't seem to matter.

They have a customer for life in me, the aftersales service, the general customer service, i think they're great.

And i meant to say, i'd have no problem taking my business elsewhere if i saw evidence of bad behaviours relating to people OR their machines, or price gouging etc. There is one bike shop that i will never darken the door of again after how they treated my TG child.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough and your experience, I've been in there and they even loaned me tools when my bike sat down with a flat battery. But their facebook stories a few weeks ago were full of anti immigration stuff, the usual 'unvetted economic migrant' crap. Personally I won't support a business that takes that stance. I don't want to give the mods a headache so I'll leave it at that.

Advertisement