Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ibanezkav

Oh great. I have an A class learner permit. Everyone was confusing me that I needed to restrict a 600 until I got a full license. Opens up a few more choices on bikes at least. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ray o

Just make sure you do your IBT on an A class bike. Now that may seem obvious but somone on here said previously that on their IBT course the instructor kept them on a lower cc bike because another student was struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭slystallone

What are people's experience of selling a bike privately. My one main issue, how do you stop someone just coming and driving it off into the sunset during a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Just an idea, but you could tell them a test drive is available only on the condition they leave a government ID as deposit (driver's license, passport, etc. Not easy to forge).

If you deal with someone through adverts.ie you could also be sure to only accept offers from people with a lot of positive feedback (100+ feedback with 98%+ positive).

Judge of character is relevant too. The kind of person to steal a bike during a test drive is bound to give off "bad vibes", in my opinion. I would not rely on solely on this, but it can be used to deny the buyer any opportunity to test drive, with or without ID.

If the person you are selling to has a problem with providing ID, my advice would be to not deal with them. Either they have ill-intentions or they lack the mental fortitude to understand the reasoning behind this requirement.

Disclaimer: I do not have experience selling a (motor)bike. I have a lot of experience selling items privately.

People always suggest that you agree a price and the buyer gives you the cash for the test drive.

Personally, as a buyer, I wouldn't do this, as there's just as much chance that the bike's stole and the 'seller' will be long gone when I come back from the test ride.

A good, middle-of-the-road idea is a deposit to be left with the seller. Small enough so that no one is tied into anything or "showing their hand" (incase the buyer wants to haggle) but also enough that the buyer isn't likely to want to hand it over if they plan to do a runner. Obviously the amount would depend on the value of the bike.

Personally, for me, I bought a bike privately and I left my car keys with the seller, and my Driving License. He was happy with that, and knew I'd have to come back to get the car and driving license anyway, so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 SKG

Apologies if this has been discussed here recently but from where to buy a fat bike in Ireland currently?

Seems almost no one is selling them? Looking for a brand new one, not used one. Would have to have decent components also.. Deore minimum.

edit:

Haha, just realized I posted under wrong forum😂

Post edited by SKG on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They had one in the Cycle Superstore in Parnell Street but not even sure that place is still there.

However this is the motorbike forum! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Harley Davidson in Ballymount do the FatBob...

Dublin Loves bikes in Dun Laoghaire will be able to sort you out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I have a Burgman 650 executive (2009)with very low miles and great condition, new oil, tyres and brakes are fine. Its the model with all the bells and whistles, electric screen, heated grips, heated seat - front and back, electric mirrors (great craic) charger in one of the 3 glove boxes, huge underseat storage and can easily plod along at 180km/hr. Haven't seen any other scooter that comes near its take off at lights, I'll be putting both my bikes up for sale soon and which ever sells first, I'll keep the other. (GSA 1200) You're welcome to take a look before I put it up, as you said, not that many of them around this parish.

DM me if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Hi guys, looking at getting back on two wheels after 20 year break, i had a provisional up to 125cc, licence before,in 98/99, when i stopped riding.

i never re added this category when i passed my car test in 2000.

last year when i upgraded my license to the new plastic type i noticed that i now have category A motorbike added (restriction7903).

my questions are,

what does this currently allow me to drive? (could i buy a bike and up to what cc,and obtain insurance.)

Do i still need to do a theory test, and then the ib course?

sorry for all the questions, its seem very complicated, compaired to when i was a young fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭geotrig

7903 is for a trike only iirc , you will need to do an IBT and get a a provisional license for A Cat as far as I know, possibly a theory test as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Was out again tonight with RoSPA Iart. Some value and well worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Would be interested in something like this, you can never have too much training.

Can you explain a bit more about it and how you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Hi all, advice needed for choosing a licence category (yes, like almost everyone else on this thread 🤣)

I drove a 50 CC 20 years ago for short commutes. I have an AM licence, but I want to go up a level to A1, and I now have the learners permit for A1.

I did CBT in the UK 20 years ago on a geared bike and wasn't mad on it. I'm happy to stay on scooters. I'll be using the bike for a 15km round trip to/from work, back roads mostly, and maybe 2 or three times a month doing a 40km round trip into Dublin city on N roads.

I'm reading the thread from the start and I see EVERYONE recommends going for the A licence. However, that means doing the test on an A level bike, which means practicing regularly on a geared, A level bike. I just can't see myself on a big, geared bike. FYI, I'm a 5 foot 4 female.

What should I do? If I changed my leaner to an A2, could I then do the test on a more powerful scooter or must it be a geared bike? I spotted a Suzuki Burgman 125 on Done Deal yesterday and thought it looked good, but checking the power on it, I see it's slightly above the A1 licence limits 😕

My main worry is at some point regretting not going for a higher level. However, I have enough things to stress about without putting myself through a test at a level I don't need LOL

You can use progression once in the system to go up one level once you pass the test at an assigned level . I.e do another day ibt.

When I did my ibt there was a guy who was using the progression to move from a1 to a and all seemed ok, from a very foggy memory he start out on a 125 type scooter originally. My advise is all to stick with level you are comfortable with im almost certain he did his 1st test on an automatic VMAs? Or something and failed but iiirc if he passed on the auto he was limited to auto afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If a bikes/scooters power is just above the A1 limit where you'd need a A2 license then the problem that it's probably too low to do the A2 test on even if it needs a A2 license.

Instructors might not have anything larger than an automatic AM scooters to learn on for doing the IBT, so either you'd be doing that on a manual or the hours won't count if going for A1/A2 (instructor might cheat and put them down as counting but unlikely).

For the IBT the modules differ a bit but most instructors will be flexible, and when you get to the on the bike part they can star you off on one and then move on if comfortable you might need a extra hour lesson or 2 to make up required time. A lot of people who start off on A bikes will get put on smaller bike for first bit by instructors before moving on, they're no so inflexible that they won't accommodate when you're unsure.

There's a lot of 300-450cc scooters (there's a 400 Burgman), and even if you've no intention of getting on a manual A2 bike after the test I'd say go for that. You're already ahead of a lot of people starting out, and worst that happens is during the IBT you make your mind up one way or the other.

Thanks for that. I'm happy enough to be limited to automatic to be honest. I'm not a petrol head, and I really just want a small, easy fuel efficient run around

Yes, that's my worry, that this slightly over A1 power bike won't be powerful enough for the A2 test. The RSA link on this thread doesnt seem to be working anymore, so I'll email them and ask them for the minimum spec for each of the test levels.

Also, it might be difficult to get an A2 scooter for the test...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The A1 test was 115cc to 125cc and less than 11kW

The A2 is 20-35kW and more than 245cc, it used to be a larger engine size but they reduced it in the last year or so. You might still see it listed as 395cc some places.

There's power to weight too but I those only apply to electric.

Just passed my A license! Absolutely delighted. I owe a big credit to Eric Dalton, he was exceptional. I was a bag of nerves and he got me into a really good place to take the test. In fairness, the lesson and pretest I did with him were great value, he put in a huge amount of hours.

All done and free of the tabard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Congratulations! Well done. I’d like to second the recommendation for Eric. He’s a genuinely calming presence to have in your corner beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Which test centre did you do it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Congratulations :-)

Its great to get it out of the way

Well Done

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

Congrats.

Does the Naas test have a set route?

Naas has areas they regularly use, but I don't think there's any centre with an exact route (willing to be corrected on that). On my test I was directed to some roads I hadn't practiced on, but that didn't really bother me, once you know what they are looking for, the roads are less important.

Naas is a good town to do it... Residential roads are relatively quiet, there's a reasonable selection of 50 and 60 mph roads and the traffic doesn't get too complicated.

I had a 40 min ride to get there, but didn't mind it.

Submitted my new license to the insurance company... no reduction in premium... even though no claims, no points, 45 y/o, reasonably low hp bike... more angry than I am gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Yeah made no difference to me either, it seems to be the number of yrs riding that helps bring it down

Same happened to me and when renewal came it went up 😅 cue some crazy attempt to justify it from the insurance guy but I was having none of it

• Advertisement

Advertisement