Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I can't say I have any problems with saying I like dance music but I understand why, if somebody's only association of dance music is the charts, people think it's rubbish. If somebody's not going to take some time to listen to the music before discounting then they're not worth arguing with over. Essentially, this is the crux of most of the arguments on here about music but you know what, that's pretty understandable. Time is precious and you're not going to listen to something that might initially grate with you unless you have the interest. But that said, someone coming out without ill-informed statements like 'all metal is bullsh¡t' or 'dubstep is cancer' is being pretty retarded. Like you said broad titles like Rock or Dance cover a wide variety of genres. If you know the music then you can debate the merits of say Thrash metal over Black metal or Brostep over UK Funky. If you don't listen to the music but have heard a snippet of a heavily commercialized tune on MTV, that's not going to give you enough to judge a whole genre on. Take dubstep for example. Most people get exposed to the metal rape noises of Skrillex's brostep and decide that's what dubstep sounds like and it's sh¡t. Dubstep also encompasses the likes of Burial, his work with Four Tet, Joy Orbison and Martyn - all of these people's music is a million miles away from the crap that the likes of Skrillex produces. The problem is that when a scene or genre gets such a crappy figurehead attached to it, it stops people from investigating any further and we end up with more and more subdivision of music.

I agree with all of this.

I'm not ashamed to admit I like certain types of dance music myself, but other people who only look to the charts and the radio for music will likely have an ill-informed opinion about most genres, not just dance. Its the same way that some people hear Nickelback and think all rock sounds like their output.

The mainstream exposes listeners to watered-down versions of all genres, its not because they are the best of their kind, its because the masses need something easy to digest during their breaks from listening to news on the radio. Michael Buble is no more representative of jazz than Daniel O' Donnell is of Irish folk, people just need to dig deeper to know what the genres really encompass and there is something there for everyone if they are willing to search it out.

I admittedly used to think there was no such thing as good rap when my brother used to listen to 50 Cent, Tupac, Chamillionaire, Fabulous etc but then he stopped listening to all of them, and my opinion changed when I heard the likes of Public Enemy, P.O.S and Death Grips. Now I know, not to write off whole genres, because there will always be so much you will never hear in public places or through mainstream media like the radio and MTV.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kold wrote: »
    I've been using I've seen footage. I need someone to edit an "i love you Jesus Christ" ringtone for me.

That would be hilarious as a message tone. Especially if people didn't know the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

lordgoat wrote: »
    That would be hilarious as a message tone. Especially if people didn't know the song.

I tried using it but the intro to the song is stupid long for a ringtone. Need an edited version which wouldn't be hard cept I'm lazy and leaving for Japan on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Dj Boonie is the best DJ in the world. Don't get why people listen to Tiesto David Guetta etc when you have her.

I tried using it but the intro to the song is stupid long for a ringtone. Need an edited version which wouldn't be hard cept I'm lazy and leaving for Japan on Sunday.

Finally you're leaving? You should leave us all with some musical homework.

Or bring back your ratings thread. That was gold.

Have a safe trip dude!

• Advertisement

Finally you're leaving? You should leave us all with some musical homework.

Start a music related fight with a complete stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Or bring back your ratings thread. That was gold.

One of my favourite threads on here. Would love to give it another shot. In the 2 and a half years since then I can safely say that at least half of my choices would be different. I reckon I'd definitely improve on my 7.1 score. I had some weak choices in there that probably dragged down my score.

My favourite response on that thread was probably:
    1.9 But I will be nice and say that the list is very well typed out and I'm sure you're very pretty.

I just did a quick search there and only one other person along with myself picked a Notorious B.I.G. album, and only one other picked an Eminem album. Only 5 others had PE "It Takes a Nation of...".

Rap was very over-looked in that thread. Kings of Leon and Green Day had more mentions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

B.B King isn't THAT great...

One of my favourite threads on here. Would love to give it another shot. In the 2 and a half years since then I can safely say that at least half of my choices would be different. I reckon I'd definitely improve on my 7.1 score. I had some weak choices in there that probably dragged down my score.

+1 on bringing back the 20 favourite albums ratings.

I missed it the first time and few threads on this forum seem to be lasting more than 20 replies as of yet, so it'd be cool to bring some action back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

karaokeman wrote: »
    +1 on bringing back the 20 favourite albums ratings.

I missed it the first time and few threads on this forum seem to be lasting more than 20 replies as of yet, so it'd be cool to bring some action back here.
    Prepare your feelings accordingly :P

• Advertisement

I can't i'll probably get banned from Music if i get any more warnings for telling people to stop being lazy and use google and the like ;)
    Sinfonia wrote: »

I'd rather a new thread of Kold rating people on their posts in this thread. Now that i'd find amusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

smokedeels wrote: »
    End Hits is my favorite Fugazi record. That's an unpopular choice, yeah?
    Maybe. Although if you ask a Fugazi fan what's their favourite album of theirs you will get different answers. Some will say The Argument, some will say Repeater and some will say Red Medicine. For me it's got to be Repeater and 13 Songs (even though it's a compilation of their first two EPs).
    flyswatter wrote: »
    Not criticizing any of the music lumped into this genre, like Boards of Canada, Four Tet or Aphex Twin, cos a lot of them are excellent but the person who coined the genre name IDM (Intelligent Dance Music) is a knob.

It's like saying any electronic music outside the genre is dumb or stupid.
    I agree with this. Some great, ground-breaking music, but the tag 'IDM' just makes me cringe.

Sinfonia wrote: »

I'd be comfortable with comments about my taste, not about my persona as none of you have met me barr rcaz. I said earlier in this thread that most people here only know a small percentage of the music I listen to, I'll freely admit the first person to know my 20 favourite albums will have learnt something about my taste.
    I'd rather a new thread of Kold rating people on their posts in this thread. Now that i'd find amusing!

You are the one who suggested Kold bring back the ratings thread, make up your mind. And that would actually be a lot more subjective as when you read other people's posts you interpret them any way you like. Example being and this is the last time I will say it on the BEP matter, I was never claiming to be a fan of them, or that I only listened to a few bands them being one. I was merely stating that the Beatles are blown out of proportion when people say they created music, and I was thus drawing a comparison saying the BEP were not influenced by them. And you liking Rihanna's S&M because it is a good song for a night out/ party etc is the same as the few BEP songs I would tolerate on such occasions, it doesn't mean I think their music is technically good.

Also seen as how Kold is from Cork I'd be interested to hear what he knows about Jimmy MacCarthy;).

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

I think a lot of dubstep, including some so called "bro-step", is actually pretty good. Alternative rap like OFWGKTA and Asher Roth is so much better than rappers on the radio like Flo Rida :D And in addition to that point, rapping over dance tracks like flo rida and similar guys are doing is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

And lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Saying you like David Guetta does not make you a dance music expert

Lets just say that if I'm touring Asia and somehow make the time to read and score a bunch of people's lists, I won't really be getting what I want from this trip.

rcaz wrote: »
    And lose.

the first rule about...

Lets just say that if I'm touring Asia and somehow make the time to read and score a bunch of people's lists, I won't really be getting what I want from this trip.

You know you'll miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I said it before and I'll say it again - most melodic metal bands were influenced by Roxette.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I can't i'll probably get banned from Music if i get any more warnings for telling people to stop being lazy and use google and the like ;)
    Yes because that would obviously be the same as you being unnecessarily snippy with a new user and then utterly failing to backup your actions when questioned :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    Yes because that would obviously be the same as you being unnecessarily snippy with a new user and then utterly failing to backup your actions when questioned :rolleyes:

wrong, but as i said in pm, i'm done replying to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

wrong, but as i said in pm, i'm done replying to you.
    The situation was and is crystal clear as far as I'm concerned for that infraction. I'm sure you're well aware that the Dispute Resolution forum exists and you can make a case there if you feel wronged. Otherwise you know, you could show some maturity and accept that you were wrong to provide such a smart-arsed response to a genuine question.

...tumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I think AC/DC are terrible.

I think Slayer and Cradle of Filth are brilliant.

I think RnB is a terrible genre of music, for the most part.

I think Drum and Bass is excellent.

I think Lil Wayne is absolutely awful.

I listen to all types of music by the way. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Scooter is the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Kev_2012 wrote: »

I think that's a popular opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

vader65 wrote: »
    Scooter is the worst!

You must be hanging around with a load of knackers if you think that's an unpopular opinion.

The Monkees were one of the greatest acts ever with an equally fascinating back story. The songwriters that contributed songs to them were among some of the greatest pop writers out there: Boyce/Hart, Goffin/King, Harry Nilsson, Neil Diamond and Neil Sedaka. Also throw in the gems written by Nesmith and Tork and you've got a wonderful catalogue of music, a great tv series and an amazing film in Head. Mickey Dolenz also had one of the best pop and rock voices ever. Anyone that throws the manufactured band argument at them can go shoite..

Listen to some of the lesser known stuff before you judge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Manowar are one of most awful bands to ever exist. Do people listen to them just to be ironic or something? I cannot imagine why anyone would take this band seriously apart from WoW-playing virgins who rarely go out in public. They're the pinicle of cheese and it's sh!t like this that gives metal a bad image.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Kev_2012 wrote: »

Tuuuuuune.

Don't you hate a shy bitch? Yeah, I ate a shy bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

rcaz wrote: »
    Tuuuuuune.

Don't you hate a shy bitch? Yeah, I ate a shy bitch.

Great song. He has way more terrible songs than good ones though. He mumbles on every song nowadays, can't make out a word that he says.

Also, he thinks way too highly of himself. Contrary to what he says in that song, no one says that he raps like BIG, Jay, Tupac or Three Stacks.

Advertisement