Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd agree with that. I like me my Indie snobbery, but I really do love Hot Fuss, it's a terrific pop album with a load of terrific pop singles. Nowt wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Elbow are Sh1te of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Elbow are Sh1te

No they're not My Chemical Romance and Fallout Boy are.

Any "emo" bands who are only popular among kids aged 10-15 are as you described Elbow.
    Sh1te of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

karaokeman wrote: »

Any "emo" bands who are only popular among kids aged 10-15 are as you described Elbow.

So a band's ****ness is determined by who likes them?

And you're saying My Chemical Romance don't know how to write great pop tunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

In a nutshell;

Thin Lizzy were the best metal/hard rock band EVER!!!!!!!!

Radiohead aren't that good I agree with ItsAWindUP on that one. Oasis were right to bash them around all these years.

Everyone loves ABBA, The Carpenters and any power ballads especially Foreigner and REO Speedwagon.

Rap is a load of bull****. That much is obvious from my previous posts about rap.

I agree. Thin Lizzy were/are the best Irish rock/metal band. All these new Irish rock bands don't stand a chance when compared to them. ABBA and the Carpenters are great, and they put all new pop bands to shame these days. Foreigner and REO Speedwagon are also class.

Mastodon are very overrated and I personally can't stand them.

Scorpions are one of Germany's best hard rock bands ever.

Rush's later albums after Counterparts are pretty terrible and boring. Their best period was the 70's, 80's and some of the early 90's.

Fields of The Nephilim, The Mission, Elusive, Love Like Blood and The Sisters of Mercy were and are the best goth rock bands ever.

Metallica have not made a decent album since their 80's heyday and The Black Album in 1991.

'Reign in Blood' by Slayer is very overated, and I think 'South of Heaven' is a much better album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

I don't like Jeff Buckley's voice. Gets me into many an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

C'mon, Jeff Buckley is dead, that means everything about him is ****en genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

*Fall Out Boy

Please define "emo". MCR for example aren't proper "emo" which is all 90s stuff like Rites of Spring, etc.
    They aren't stereotypical "emo" (poser emo) singing about such issues like "omg some girl dumped me. my heart's broken. cry cry cry"

would love to see your input on this, hopefully it isn't some crap like using the word "emo" to describe songs that are "emotional" most good music contains emotion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Rites of Spring split up in 1986 and only released one album and an EP, how does that make them a 90's band? I know what you're getting at though and yes MCR and Fallout Boy are certainly not emo bands. They're just pop bands with guitars and eye-liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Maximum 40 Characters

For some reason Radiohead are critically bombproof maybe it's an Emperors new clothes kinda thing and more or less everything since Ok computer has been self indulgent & pretentious
    or
    They are involved in a complicated social experiment involving the media,and the public in which they are attempting to find out how crap the music has to be before they are called on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

viadah wrote: »
    C'mon, <random dead person> is dead, that means everything about him is ****en genius.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

For some reason Radiohead are critically bombproof maybe it's an Emperors new clothes kinda thing and more or less everything since Ok computer has been self indulgent & pretentious
    or
    They are involved in a complicated social experiment involving the media,and the public in which they are attempting to find out how crap the music has to be before they are called on it.

I don't know about the other stuff, but Kid A is a remarkable album. Better than Ok computer imo. King of Limbs wasn't one I could listen to repeatedly but I really liked it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Nirvana are dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

or

or
    They didn't want to make an album that sounded like the first three, because they liked the sound of different timbres, and took a lot of influence from twentieth-century 'classical' music and jazz (notably Krzysztof Penderecki, Olivier Messiaen and Charles Mingus). The song structures still follow pretty simple patterns, and it's not like Radiohead have been pushing major boundaries with the art form, they're just the most mainstream group in the public eye to do so.
    Radiohead since Kid A is still pretty accessible because they retained a lot of their pop sensibilities; if you think Radiohead are self-indulgent and pretentious, you would be shocked by some of the low-end conceptual sound art out there that is considered music.

If you want something truly original and boundary-pushing, don't bother with Radiohead.
    If you want safe, by-the-numbers pop, don't bother with Radiohead.
    If you want something that intelligently and thoughtfully attempts to reach an accord between the two, then listen to Radiohead.

And besides all that, if you've just made OK Computer, why would you want to make something else that sounds similar to it? There's hardly much to improve on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Yeah. You don't know 'pretentious' until you've had high-pitched, static white noise screech in your ear for minutes at a time.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    If you want something that intelligently and thoughtfully attempts to reach an accord between the two, then listen to Radiohead.

Quoted for truth.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Yeah. You don't know 'pretentious' until you've had high-pitched, static white noise screech in your ear for minutes at a time.

Nothing wrong with Merzbow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

White funkster singer Jamiroquai ripped off the singer from this '80s video ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I don't hate Rihanna's song "We Found Love"..

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

baz2009 wrote: »
    I don't hate Rihanna's song "We Found Love"..

I feel the same! I despise Rihanna's music, but there's something about that chord progression that hooks me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I feel the same! I despise Rihanna's music, but there's something about that chord progression that hooks me in.

Umbrella is an excellent pop tune too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Ah here now people, Rihanna could hardly be considered a guilty pleasure. I could say the same for Beyonce because Rihanna can actually sing.

Unshamefully I can't stand the likes of Ke$ha and Britney but Rihanna is up there with all the good female pop stars.

On a somewhat related note, I love California King Bed:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Calvin Harris (Y)

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Nirvana are dire.

I don't know what sort of music your into (Xfactor maybe?) but I never met anyone that was into metal/indie/rock that had that opinion of Nirvana. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

1223828737292_Holy%20cow_t.bmp

Don't rip on Nirvana dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I don't know what sort of music your into (Xfactor maybe?) but I never met anyone that was into metal/indie/rock that had that opinion of Nirvana. :eek:
    I've been a fan of Nirvana since I was 14 and I've met plenty of metal/indie/rock fans who've had that opinion of them. If they don't like them then they don't like them and that's fair enough, I'm still going to get goosebumps listening to 'Aero Zeppelin' and 'Negative Creep'.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I've been a fan of Nirvana since I was 14 and I've met plenty of metal/indie/rock fans who've had that opinion of them. If they don't like them then they don't like them and that's fair enough, I'm still going to goosebumps listening to 'Aero Zeppelin' and 'Negative Creep'.

One doesn't have to be mad about them, but to use the word "dire"? In other words completely without merit, how can you love rock music and not appreciate at least some of the drumming, bass lines, guitars, vocals, songs, dynamics lyrics or sentiments, I'm 45 and never met any real music fan that described them so. Its their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Radiohead > Led Zeppelin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Down by The Jesus Lizard is a fantastic album, not as good as the first three but not the disappointment people make it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Nope not X Factor or any of that stuff, I just hate boring repetitive guitar riffs and singers that can't sing, especially seeing as they wouldn't nearly be as highly revered had Kurt Cobain not kicked the bucket at the ripe old age of 27. Hows that for an unpopular opinion?

Advertisement