Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

One doesn't have to be mad about them, but to use the word "dire"? In other words completely without merit, how can you love rock music and not appreciate at least some of the drumming, bass lines, guitars, vocals, songs, dynamics lyrics or sentiments, I'm 45 and never met any real music fan that described them so. Its their loss.

Get off your high horse ffs

This is the best track of 2011

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

]

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Get off your high horse ffs

You have the boorish manners of a UCD man, Sir.

Na, Massive Attack lite for Tiesto fans methinks.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nope.

Well, it's just my opinion. What's yours? Or are you, as I suspect, one of those people who compelled to disagree?

Literally don't know what this means:confused:

Na, Massive Attack lite for Tiesto fans methinks.

Strange comment, I'm a fan of Massive Attack but not Tiesto, where do I fit in here?

Literally don't know what this means:confused:

It means that your manner is a tad uncouth, like the alumni of said college tend to be.

It means that your manner is a tad uncouth, like the alumni of said college tend to be.

I don't know what the word 'uncouth means'. I don't go to UCD, but what's wrong with it, out of interest?

• Advertisement

I don't know what the word 'uncouth means'. I don't go to UCD, but what's wrong with it, out of interest?

A fine college in many ways, but it has a reputation for rugger buggers, thats all.

A fine college in many ways, but it has a reputation for rugger buggers, thats all.

Ah, I understand now. Well I neither attend that college nor follow rugby. Or listen to Tiesto:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

What a withering insult...

What a withering insult...

Likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Music snobbery only occurs because most people who do it are jealous and envious of the bands they like to snear at.

You will get people all the time claiming to hate U2, saying Bono can't sing, the Edge can't play and their lyrics are muck but in reality there is a simple reason for such hateful remarks. Most U2 haters can't sing, play an instrument or write good songs themselves:P.

Otherwise bashing successful bands and musicians is just another thing for people to b**** and moan about rather than talking about the recession because at least with music snobbery they can feel a sense of superiority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

karaokeman wrote: »
    Most U2 haters can't sing, play an instrument or write good songs themselves:P.

Which is funny, because these people should find they have an affinity with the band

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

This guy...

...is an effing maestro and perhaps the greatest living songwriter. His recent live renditions of Hallelujah rank at least alongside the best efforts of Jeff Buckley et al. As regards live performances, the two Lenny gigs I've attended werre easily the best I've been at.

Scrawny71 wrote: »
    This guy...

...is an effing maestro and perhaps the greatest living songwriter. His recent live renditions of Hallelujah rank at least alongside the best efforts of Jeff Buckley et al. As regards live performances, the two Lenny gigs I've attended werre easily the best I've been at.

I totally agree with you but saying he is a genius is not an unpopular opinion at all!

^ You probably don't know my sister or her boyfriend. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You will get people all the time claiming to hate U2, saying Bono can't sing, the Edge can't play and their lyrics are muck but in reality there is a simple reason for such hateful remarks. Most U2 haters can't sing, play an instrument or write good songs themselves:P.
    Actually in my experience most people dislike them because of the whole moving their publishing company to The Netherlands episode and Bono's media personality.

• Advertisement

Music snobbery only occurs because most people who do it are jealous and envious of the bands they like to snear at.

Otherwise bashing successful bands and musicians is just another thing for people to b**** and moan about rather than talking about the recession because at least with music snobbery they can feel a sense of superiority.

What a load of illogical bo**ox, I am jealous and envious of Radiohead's talent but I love them if I thought U2 were great I'd love them too but they're bog standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Either that or they have ears and a brain. In all fairness if people can't be bothered to look beyond the charts to find music that actually stands for something then yes I do feel superior to them.

Scrawny71 wrote: »
    ^ You probably don't know my sister or her boyfriend. ;)

Fair enough but having good taste and appreciating intelligent and adult music is a precursor for loving "laughing Lenny".

^ This be true, generally speaking. :cool:

Malice wrote: »
    Actually in my experience most people dislike them because of the whole moving their publishing company to The Netherlands episode and Bono's media personality.

Don't care about that stuff, its their average song craft and musical ideas that do nothing for me!

Zero1986 wrote: »
    In all fairness if people can't be bothered to look beyond the charts to find music that actually stands for something then yes I do feel superior to them.

This was pointed out in a previous thread but it is something to think about it, I agree with your point about "looking beyond the charts" for good music.

Most U2 haters hate their "new music" because they've only heard Get On Your Boots and couldn't be bothered to hear the rest of the No Line On The Horizon album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Most U2 haters can't sing, play an instrument or write good songs themselves

So if you listen to music, you can't complain about it unless you're a qualified musician? Come on. It's U2's job to make great tunes, they don't. I can't complain about it unless I'm making great tunes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Most U2 haters hate their "new music" because they've only heard Get On Your Boots and couldn't be bothered to hear the rest of the No Line On The Horizon album.
    Hate is too strong a word in terms of music, but the reason I dislike them is because when I listened to All That You Can't Leave Behind I felt like I had wasted 50 minutes of my life. I could have spent that time listening to something better or doing something productive, so that's where my dislike stems from. I'm never going to get those 50 minutes back.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    So if you listen to music, you can't complain about it unless you're a qualified musician? Come on. It's U2's job to make great tunes, they don't. I can't complain about it unless I'm making great tunes?

No you can still complain but it gets to a point where a line should be drawn. People always bash the RHCP now over their new guitarist Josh Klinghoffer. I've heard so many old fans saying Klinghoffer is s*** and can't play as good as Frusciante. While it is fair to say John was better, its not right to call Klinghoffer s*** because the people who claim he is just can't play guitar as well.
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    Hate is too strong a word in terms of music, but the reason I dislike them is because when I listened to All That You Can't Leave Behind I felt like I had wasted 50 minutes of my life. I could have spent that time listening to something better or doing something productive, so that's where my dislike stems from. I'm never going to get those 50 minutes back.

You are obviously never going to enjoy listening to new music if you look at it that way.

In life we regret the things we didn't do, not the things we did. Anytime I listen to a s*** album, it doesn't make me feel like I've wasted 50 minutes of my life. I'm happy enough I tried the album the same is with alcohol, I tried drinking but it didn't work for me so now I'm a pioneer but I never view the times I tried it as a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Well, that's the fault of U2 or their marketing people. If I hear a dire single off an album I'm not going to think 'Hmm, that was crap but I think I'll buy the album just to make sure...' Unless it's a band I really admire and enjoy I'm not going to make that sacrifice.

Advertisement