Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

72km yesterday, Westport to Mulranny and Currane but turned only 7km in as the headwind was killing the 3 lads with me who were doing this distance for the 1st time. Avg of 25kmph wasn't bad considering the dirty winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Headed west from home to avoid the worst of the wind. Out through the Park, past Porterstown and on lovely quite roads till I dropped down into Leixlip. Back to Lucan along by the Strawberry Beds and a few loops of the Park to finish. 54k in a shade under two hours.
    Must map out some routes out that way maybe heading up towards Trim as an alternative to NCD or the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

So what's the story with drafting on commutes. To me it seems rude to do it and dangerous to not announce one's self. What if I had to brake hard?

Had some bloke drafting me this morning and he wouldn't pass me when I asked him too. I slowed and he told me off for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

So what's the story with drafting on commutes. To me it seems rude to do it and dangerous to not announce one's self. What if I had to brake hard?

Had some bloke drafting me this morning and he wouldn't pass me when I asked him too. I slowed and he told me off for it.

I had a drafter a few months ago who stayed a good metre behind me when drafting and took turns letting me draft. If he was half wheeling me I would have said something, but otherwise what's the harm? We both got to work quicker and motorists gave us more space when overtaking. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

How did the turns transpire? Is it an unwritten rule? Did you know he was drafting you? If I did the wrong thing here, I want to know, especially if I missed some respite from the headwind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

I think its good manners and just safe to announce that you're there. I never close in on a cyclist without letting them know I'm there unless I'm going straight past them.

I don't mind someone drafting me once they aren't being silly and if they'll do a turn on the front its a win win. Sometimes its nice to have a bit of company on the road as well, especially when commuting which gets repetitive.

I did 50k yesterday morning through Limerick city, out to Shannon and back in the old Cratloe road. First time on the bike in nearly three weeks and I felt it. Suffice it to say there were no strava times or PB's set. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

done 20k tonight and forgot my gloves. My hands nearly froze and I had to stop twice and put my hands down my pants to warm them. One motorist blew his horn at me probably thought I was playing with myself. My fingers were stinging for a while though. Its just 5 degrees here in north longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Pretty crap spin overall, don't know why, weather and tired legs! Although Im slowly posting some decent times going uphill..sign of improvement ey :pac:

3rd fastest time overall today!

http://www.strava.com/segments/2697482?filter=overall

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cycled a cross the Golden Gate Bridge today . That was cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Headed west from home to avoid the worst of the wind. Out through the Park, past Porterstown and on lovely quite roads till I dropped down into Leixlip. Back to Lucan along by the Strawberry Beds and a few loops of the Park to finish. 54k in a shade under two hours.
    Must map out some routes out that way maybe heading up towards Trim as an alternative to NCD or the mountains.
    i commute into the citycentre from kildare through leixlip, lucan & up the strawberry beds its a nice spin(bar the quays) I love the spin along chesterfield ave in the park, try to keep it over 30kph but after passing up past the anglers rest im a bit bushed.

heading the other way there is a handy loop from Leixlip to Dunboyne> Summerhill> Kilcock> Maynooth> Leixlip about 55 kms, mostly flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I overtook a Ferrari this morning on my commute into work - the silver one which belongs to the Merrion Hotel.

Of course it was slowing down to stop at the lights on the Baggot Street bridge and I was filtering towards the front of the queue.

Doesn't matter, I overtook a Ferrari on my bike. The kids will be so proud of their daddy this evening :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Late for a group spin this morning with the young fella and then discovered my garmin had died. Headed off in a huff on a nice 60km unplanned route up through Ballyboughal, N1 and looped back down by Garristown, Ard cath (hadnt a clue where i was) and into Naul before back to Swords. Bit of a breeze but weather was dry and pleasant.

http://www.strava.com/activities/213099923

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

40k Dunboyne-Ashbourne-Dunboyne..

Feeling it more the usual and breezier then I thought it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

headed out with one of my mates this morn planning in doing 160k , all was going well , we left Leixlip shortly after 9am , nice weather , flew into town , a couple of near misses with taxi drivers on the quays (nothing new there).
    Up howth hill and down the other side turned to head to portmarnock and just before the roundabout BANG , my mates chainstay breaks , had to ring for a lift , spin cut short at 46km .
    I decided to hop in the car with him and to go to the bike shop too as he was bulling . I can understand his anger as he had only 1000k up on the bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Did a first mtb trip up to Ballinastoe with my eldest today for a spin around the main loop. Hired bikes. Beautiful weather and scenery (esp a lunch looking down on Lough Tay). The trail was only the second I have ever done and it was great fun (esp when I learnt to take the lock-out off of the forks when going down the singletrack!). Three hours cycling around then main loop back to the cabin and then the small loop again. Me wrecked - him, raring to go again. Definitely will return again. If he managed to capture it on video I will post up a link of me doing an impression of the motocross/x-games stuntman - I managed to hang on to a wipe out at one stage whereby I flew over the handlebars and, apparently (through the laughter), was told that I made it to the inverted vertical position before touching down again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

65k this morning with 450m climbed at 25kmph. Lovely spin from Portmarnock along the coast to Clontarf - East link - Blackrock - Dalkey - Killiney Hill and back home the same way.

Lovely mild conditions though I do wonder why some lads wear so much on a day like today. I had a long sleeve jersey and bib shorts and was fine. Saw loads of lads dressed for conditions 10 degrees colder with tights, overshoes, caps and face masks. They must have been roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

veetwin wrote: »
    65k this morning with 450m climbed at 25kmph. Lovely spin from Portmarnock along the coast to Clontarf - East link - Blackrock - Dalkey - Killiney Hill and back home the same way.

Lovely mild conditions though I do wonder why some lads wear so much on a day like today. I had a long sleeve jersey and bib shorts and was fine. Saw loads of lads dressed for conditions 10 degrees colder with tights, overshoes, caps and face masks. They must have been roasted.

It's about 10 degrees warmer than yesterday over here on the west coast. Frost everywhere yesterday morning, this morning I had to take off my gloves after 5 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Usual 25km commute this morning. Had checked the weather beforehand, so was in bib shorts and short sleeved jersey. I always stop at red lights, and this morning was no different. At Merrion Sq a girl on a Dublin Bike pulled up beside me and started giving me looks and batting her eye lids. Anyway, all the other bikes moved off well before the lights changed, apart from me and the girl on the Dublin Bike. I got ready for the green light, to rip past all the light breakers.

Next thing I knew Dublin Bike girl stood up out of the saddle and took off, I only managed to overhaul her at the top of the park. As I glanced at her she winked and smiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Commute home just by junction of Kimmage Road and Sundrive Avenue woman in a passing car shouts 'Real men ride Women' as she passes me.
    I said thanks for the tip...
    She was stuck in traffic a little further ahead but wasn't as chatty then as I passed...:)

Commute home just by junction of Kimmage Road and Sundrive Avenue woman in a passing car shouts 'Real men ride Women' as she passes me.
    I said thanks for the tip...
    She was stuck in traffic a little further ahead but wasn't as chatty then as I passed...:)

you should have knocked on the window and asked was that an offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Headed out at 10 this morning, Swords to Donabate, north of Ballyboughal, Oldtown to St Margarets, Airport, and back to Swords, 51km in total. Beautiful morning, though hard to know what to wear sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

rushfan wrote: »
    Headed out at 10 this morning, Swords to Donabate, north of Ballyboughal, Oldtown to St Margarets, Airport, and back to Swords, 51km in total. Beautiful morning, though hard to know what to wear sometimes.

Its never hard to know what to wear ...

Rule 14, 18, 21, 22, 27 and most important 53.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I decided to overcome my fear of cycling in the dark and headed out yesterday evening after just after 6pm . Just a quick spin from Balbriggan up to Blakes Cross and back .It felt like I got more out of that than a weekend afternoon spin , maybe due to the fact I was just concentrating on the patch of road in front of me and turning the pedals .

Loaded the bike into the car this morning and headed for Glendalough. Route was Wicklow Gap, lake, kippure/sally gap, Military Road & back to Glendalough. Been a few years since I cycled in Wicklow and was dressed warmly for the day but about 3 km into the Wicklow gap all I was missing was a necklace as I did my best thomas vockler impression while still maintaining some modesty while cursing the idea to wear a jacket over my jersey. Descent on the Wicklow Gap was nice but the jacket was uncursed then. Lumpy ride along the lake shore towards Kippure which included a few wrong turns and U turns before finally getting up onto the climb up kippure. Once out of the trees found it a real struggle due to a very strong cross wind and things came to a head a few hundred meters from Sally Gap when I just didnt have any more power and had to stop for 5 minutes but got some strength back to get to the cross roads and throw my jacket on. Winds on the way down Military road were strong aswell and along with tired legs made progress very slow. Took me an hour to get from Sally Gap down to my car. Probably wasnt the smartest cycling idea Ive ever had but its made realise how unfit I am as 140k cycle down there was a regular thing for me in the past. 73km, 1158m climbed, avg speed a slow 19.1km/h

Probably my 1st and last cycle of the year in Wicklow today but come next summer Im getting my fitness back shedding at least 2 stone and making a 70km spin down there a walk in the park

http://www.strava.com/activities/213941060

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

65km around Mount Tam national park. My Garmin was acting up (500m climbed when it should have been closer to 1000m) and got lost a few times.

Then got a puncture with some tubeless tyres i couldn't fix. Some great rides. Pity about the weather running the view.

http://www.strava.com/activities/213974263

I'll be back

godtabh wrote: »
    65km around Mount Tam national park. My Garmin was acting up (500m climbed when it should have been closer to 1000m) and got lost a few times.

Then got a puncture with some tubeless tyres i couldn't fix. Some great rides. Pity about the weather running the view.

http://www.strava.com/activities/213974263

I'll be back

What bike did you get your hands on over there

sullzz wrote: »
    What bike did you get your hands on over there

A Robiaux (sp). $58 for 24 hours. Nice bike. Didn't like the wheels.

godtabh wrote: »
    A Robiaux (sp). $58 for 24 hours. Nice bike. Didn't like the wheels.

Very nice bike , at not a bad price . I was in San fran for one day while in the states and I still regret not spending more time there and renting a bike , looked like a great place to ride.

sullzz wrote: »
    Very nice bike , at not a bad price . I was in San fran for one day while in the states and I still regret not spending more time there and renting a bike , looked like a great place to ride.

It lashed from start to finish (and the paddy in his boards summer gear) which made it very dark and misty so limited me but there are some great routes here. Back again next year. I'll do it proper next time

• Advertisement

Mountmellick-Clonaslee-The Cut-Mountrath-Mountmellick.

Absolutly lashed rain but was warm enough. Punctured about 5 miles from Mountrath and couldnt seem to get bump out of the tyre near the valve after using gas, didn't get tyre flush with rim first. Felt like riding a buckled wheel. Redid it at home..... 60ish K. Still............. good to be out.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement