Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

""Herobooks" - has to be photoshoped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Ah lads it's the perfect stocking filler to be fair. I haven't got my dad a decent Christmas present since The Road To '51 was released...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Shady Tady wrote: »
    I'd rather read my leaving very maths book!

What about your English one then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Looking like the book is just an account of the day Kerry beat us in 2006.. if thats the case then its a huge let down.

I genuinely would be interested to see how he thinks about recent goings on (moving club, his injury, leaving the Mayo panel in 2012 etc)

Very disappointing if hes wrote a book about the 2006 final only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Also on another issue... hearing that Mark Ronaldson will be brought into the panel. He has joined the panel for Strength & Conditioning training which started last week as far as I know...

Been consistently scoring well for Shrule in the last few seasons in Championship anyway. Not seen alot of him but his scoring tallies always seem to be high.

Good/bad addition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

3 entirely deserved All Stars for Mayo

Keith Higgins
    Colm Boyle
    Cillian O Connor

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Also on another issue... hearing that Mark Ronaldson will be brought into the panel. He has joined the panel for Strength & Conditioning training which started last week as far as I know...

Been consistently scoring well for Shrule in the last few seasons in Championship anyway. Not seen alot of him but his scoring tallies always seem to be high.

Good/bad addition?

Championship and County are 2 totally different kettles of fish. He was there back in 2011 and 2012 but I can't remember how he played, I think he did ok, as well as the likes of Enda Varley has been doing of late i think. Though he is 27 now so if he is getting in ahead of young lads who need to be brought through then I am not sure. One part of me says why not, the other say move on and don't go back.

Time will tell.

yop wrote: »
    Championship and County are 2 totally different kettles of fish. He was there back in 2011 and 2012 but I can't remember how he played, I think he did ok, as well as the likes of Enda Varley has been doing of late i think. Though he is 27 now so if he is getting in ahead of young lads who need to be brought through then I am not sure. One part of me says why not, the other say move on and don't go back.

Time will tell.

If he can bulk up from what he was last time around then he's certainly worth a shot I think. I remember him as a decent player, as long as he hasn't gone backwards then why not?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If he can bulk up from what he was last time around then he's certainly worth a shot I think. I remember him as a decent player, as long as he hasn't gone backwards then why not?

Absolutely, I can't really remember him but I THINK he was accurate in the little game time he got. Certainly good at club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo GAA Managers Pat Holmes & Noel Connelly are interviewed in Elverys McHale Park

This is the chrome link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhflMgyYes

Pretty bland stuff.Noel Connelly mentions there might be 5-6 new players that might add something to the panel,Pat Holmes adds that 20 players are on strength and conditioning programs to proffer them the best opportunity to impress in any trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mayo GAA Managers Pat Holmes & Noel Connelly are interviewed in Elverys McHale Park

This is the chrome link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhflMgyYes

Pretty bland stuff.Noel Connelly mentions there might be 5-6 new players that might add something to the panel,Pat Holmes adds that 20 players are on strength and conditioning programs to proffer them the best opportunity to impress in any trials.

Poorly done! Went up about 10 last night, was taken down then about 3 this morning. Was uploaded again about 5 then this morning, whatever all that was about. Watched it about 12 last nigh, must watch it again, see if its the same vid.

Paddy Mac resigned tonight.
    Edwin McGreal ‏@edmcgreal 36m36 minutes ago
    Mayo GAA Chairman Paddy McNicholas has said just now at Co Board meeting he will step down at County Convention later this year. #mayogaa
    0 replies 11 retweets 3 favorites
    Reply Retweet11 Favorite3
    More

Edwin McGreal ‏@edmcgreal 12m12 minutes ago
    After he announced his decision, Kiltimagh Chairman Seamus Corry paid tribute to him and criticised print media and social media criticism.

Mayo GAA Blog retweeted
    Kiltimagh GAA ‏@KiltimaghGAA 11m11 minutes ago
    @edmcgreal @MickeyGallWP @MayoGAA Paddy McNicholas announced tonight he is not seeking re-election for 2015 Well Done to Paddy a great 4 yrs

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Paddy Mac resigned tonight.

Well outside of the way the McStay debacle was handled I can't comment on how good or bad he was, but on the basis of this alone then it had to happen.

He was four years at it, time to go. I see Mort is trying to drum up some publicity for the book by bashing Horan http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=226512, he's obviously regretting walking away from the team but the ego got to him, only himself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone going to the big book launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone going to the big book launch.

Genuinely struggling to think of what story this guy has to tell or sell.

Even Shane Curran has an All-Ireland medal, and can't recall too many more autobiographies about someone who has achieved so little.

Must start penning my own....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Funniest thing I've read in a long while!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Saw these earlier... didn't cop they were fake for the first 2 or 3. Very funny tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Strange the hate in Mayo for Conoreen.

Horan pretty much froze him out when he came back from the injury and was playing quite well. On no planet was Enda Varley a better bet in the corner than Mayo's all-time top scorer.

The reality is he is high maintence but that he also should have been managed better. That said, Horan's tenure was poc-marked by poor man-management so it doesn't look as surprising in retrospect.

Could easily have been the difference in winning one of the two AI finals or either Kerry game this year.

Conoreen didn't win, and Mayo certainly didn't either. Sad for everyone involved and when the white anger dies away most will see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Syferus wrote: »

Horan pretty much froze him out when he came back from the injury and was playing quite well. On no planet was Enda Varley a better bet in the corner than Mayo's all-time top scorer.

The reality is he is high maintence but that he also should have been managed better. That said, Horan's tenure was poc-marked by poor man-management so it doesn't look as surprising in retrospect.

Could easily have been the difference in winning one of the two AI finals or either Kerry game this year.

Conoreen didn't win, and Mayo certainly didn't either. Sad for everyone involved and when the white anger dies away most will see that.

Completely agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Irish people by their nature are just begrudging ! Some of the comments I've seem from Mayo fans on social media are just embarrassing. He had a book written about him , people are buying it fair play to him. If I wrote a book about my life noone would want to read it and I'm OK with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yep, all fair points. Conor didn't always help himself with some off field activity but on the field he was more than capable. The open letter from his family was a bit cringeworthy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I always think Horan did the correct think at the time.
    It was a sure sign that Mayo would no longer tolerate someone who thought it was more about them than the team.

But I certainly hold no animosity towards Mortimer, and if he wants to return to the fold then I would certainly have no problem with him coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

2015 minor football Connacht draw

Quarter final

Leitrim v Sligo

Semi finals

Mayo v Galway
    Leitrim or Sligo v Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

He wasn't making the team so he walked he was told there was a place for him on the panel a kick in the hole if you ask me is what he wanted.mayo where going through a change in the way we played football before this it was all through one or two forwards.
    Don't get me wrong he was a very good player but his ego was way to big and with a famaily releasing statements you can see why he has an ego.

naughto wrote: »
    He wasn't making the team so he walked he was told there was a place for him on the panel a kick in the hole if you ask me is what he wanted.mayo where going through a change in the way we played football before this it was all through one or two forwards.
    Don't get me wrong he was a very good player but his ego was way to big and with a famaily releasing statements you can see why he has an ego.

That's it in one. He threw the toys out and then his family making a statement was just embarrassing. Going by the segments I saw in the Connaught he wasn't treatly well by Horan, but at the end of the day he walked away.

yop wrote: »
    That's it in one. He threw the toys out and then his family making a statement was just embarrassing. Going by the segments I saw in the Connaught he wasn't treatly well by Horan, but at the end of the day he walked away.

^^ An awful lot of people seem to forget this! ^^ :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

He was pretty much pushed out the door because Horan should have know full well he had handle Conoreen better than he did or there would be problems.

He did the same thing to Feeney and it remains a mystery why Feeney even bothering training for the best part of a year this season when he knew he was on Horan's blacklist. The natural response is to lose interest if you're not getting a fair shake, and Conoreen wasn't.

Conoreen was no more wrong going than Feeney was wrong staying. The only constant is Horan, so let's not absolve him because he (in Conoreen's words) lost ye a few more AI finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

He was pretty much pushed out the door because Horan should have know full well he had handle Conoreen better than he did or there would be problems.

He did the same thing to Feeney and it remains a mystery why Feeney even bothering training for the best part of a year this season when he knew he was on Horan's blacklist. The natural response is to lose interest if you're not getting a fair shake, and Conoreen wasn't.

Conoreen was no more wrong going than Feeney was wrong staying. The only constant is Horan, so let's not absolve him because he (in Conoreen's words) lost ye a few more AI finals.
    I suppose it was easier for Feeney to stick around as he was not travelling up and down from Dublin for training unlike Mortimer....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement