Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

It may be unfair but it's true.

MC Hale needs to grow up and stop crying on the radio about not being give his chance to win an All Ireland with Mayo.

Mchale is dead right to complain, it's decisions made like this by individuals who disregard the legitimate process that should be highlighted, some people who get into these positions feel they have Devine right to do what they like and it's not always in the interest of the team. It's rare that any team with such a background gets anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It may be unfair but it's true.

MC Hale needs to grow up and stop crying on the radio about not being give his chance to win an All Ireland with Mayo.

You're laughably out of line on this subject. You aren't usually so outlandish, I would suggest some reflection on this topic because your posts are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

keane2097 wrote: »
    You're laughably out of line on this subject. You aren't usually so outlandish, I would suggest some reflection on this topic because your posts are ridiculous.

In fairness, there is a lot to be said for Liam McHale to stop commenting in the media so much. It's not as if he is the most insightful commentator and he should take note from McStay in how to conduct oneself in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

realweirdo wrote: »
    I just wonder was there any vote taken on appointing the Connelly/Holmes team and who voted?

The transparancy in all of this was p*ss-poor.

Will there be a vote on appointing them on Thursday evening?

It looks like there will be a vote on McNicolous position and I'd say he'd win it easy enough. There's a lot of huffing and buffing on the county board, guys trying to distance themselves and look out for themselves.

If McNicolous stays the shambles will roll on.

Why would there be a vote on the new team? they are the only names being put forward, it is all just a formality now. Where you getting the info on there being a vote on McNicholas, it's highly likely of course but just wondering has a motion been laid down?

Either way after tomorrow nights meeting that should be the end of it and we move forward. The management team that the co board wanted will be in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

If players can't take criticism they shouldn't be playing. Its part and parcel of the game. McStay was right to say players are sensitive.

If Mayo play rubbish, do they expect people like McHale to ignore it.

We don't need pundits fawning over players as they used to in the "white boots, bleached hair" era. Some pundits are still fawning over those players, even though they had a habit of flopping when really needed.

• Advertisement

Why would there be a vote on the new team? they are the only names being put forward, it is all just a formality now. Where you getting the info on there being a vote on McNicholas, it's highly likely of course but just wondering has a motion been laid down?

Either way after tomorrow nights meeting that should be the end of it and we move forward. The management team that the co board wanted will be in place.

You are not getting it, in fact you are parroting the McNicolous line - McNicolous wanted McStay to withdraw so there would be no vote. I think McStay is still in the race and didn't withdraw. Its all up in the air.

Suffice it to say there were two canidate teams, McNicolous informed McStay he wasn't getting it.

On what basis was McNicolous empowered to do this? Was there a vote empowering him to do that? Answer that, and stop with the tangents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

GBXI wrote: »
    In fairness, there is a lot to be said for Liam McHale to stop commenting in the media so much. It's not as if he is the most insightful commentator and he should take note from McStay in how to conduct oneself in these situations.

When you find yourself typing he needs to shut up and he is a crybaby, something is wrong with your view of a situation.

As for this particular situation, the entire country now knows that something is fundamentally broken in the Mayo County Board. If you're ever hoping to do something about it I would suggest McHale's interview has given anyone who gives a damn the perfect springboard.

You are not getting it, in fact you are parroting the McNicolous line - McNicolous wanted McStay to withdraw so there would be no vote. I think McStay is still in the race and didn't withdraw. Its all up in the air.

Suffice it to say there were two canidate teams, McNicolous informed McStay he wasn't getting it.

On what basis was McNicolous empowered to do this? Was there a vote empowering him to do that? Answer that, and stop with the tangents.

I'm not parrotting any line and it's ludicrous to say McStay is still in the race. He quite clearly is not and i dont know on what basis McNicholas informed McStay, nobody does until tomorrow night.

If players can't take criticism they shouldn't be playing. Its part and parcel of the game. McStay was right to say players are sensitive.

If Mayo play rubbish, do they expect people like McHale to ignore it.

We don't need pundits fawning over players as they used to in the "white boots, bleached hair" era. Some pundits are still fawning over those players, even though they had a habit of flopping when really needed.

Agreed, ex players employed as pundits should call things as they see it, but even so i can understand why players might be pissed off some criticism, it's only natural.

When you find yourself typing he needs to shut up and he is a crybaby, something is wrong with your view of a situation.

As for this particular situation, the entire country now knows that something is fundamentally broken in the Mayo County Board. If you're ever hoping to do something about it I would suggest McHale's interview has given anyone who gives a damn the perfect springboard.

So in your view what is it that's fundamentally broken? For whatever reason McHale isnt necessarily the most highly regarded man in Mayo GAA, as a player yes but in general gaa terms, he doesnt exactly endear himself to a lot of people. I dont know him personally but it's the general feeling i get

• Advertisement

So in your view what is it that's fundamentally broken? For whatever reason McHale isnt necessarily the most highly regarded man in Mayo GAA, as a player yes but in general gaa terms, he doesnt exactly endear himself to a lot of people. I dont know him personally but it's the general feeling i get

He'd be more highly regarded than most of the people on the county board.

Because he's not a backslapper or an insider, he's not respected it seems. He tells it as it is, he's had some achievement as a player and on the sideline that can't be discounted, and his achievements on and off the field are more significant that most other people associated with Mayo football.

McHale's interview did very little other than give McHale another platform to listen to his own voice again. Even if everything McHale said is true, you'd think McStay would come out and back him up. But McStay has a degree of decorum about him that McHale doesn't.

I'm not parrotting any line and it's ludicrous to say McStay is still in the race. He quite clearly is not and i dont know on what basis McNicholas informed McStay, nobody does until tomorrow night.

We probably won't know after tomorrow night either. There were rules agreed and McNicolous just ignored them. If he goes, it calls into question the whole process. If he stays he will have lost the support of several delegates and most supporters.

McHale's interview did very little other than give McHale another platform to listen to his own voice again. Even if everything McHale said is true, you'd think McStay would come out and back him up. But McStay has a degree of decorum about him that McHale doesn't.

This is just nonsense. McHale was central to the whole process, he is entitled to give his opinion when asked for one, regardless of what you or others think.

People want to hear what McHale has to say, to give his version of events. They don't need to hear immature sniping from supposed Mayo supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Aidan O'Shea is on The Last Word this evening talking about the campaign this year and the managerial saga. I cant imagine he will have much to say on the latter however!

This is just nonsense. McHale was central to the whole process, he is entitled to give his opinion when asked for one, regardless of what you or others think.

People want to hear what McHale has to say, to give his version of events. They don't need to hear immature sniping from supposed Mayo supporters.

Actually I have very little interest in hearing what McHale has to say. I do however, have interest in what McStay has to say. He didn't criticise the hiring process, only the people he felt were giving out about McHale and his comments in the media. This whole thing comes down to Donie Buckley really. If McStay comes in as manager, he brings McHale and no Buckley. The alternative is Connelly/Homles with Buckley. Most rational people, especially the players, want Buckley and so, in an arse-ways fashion, the County Board chose Connelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

McStay will end up managing Roscommon at some stage, ive always felt he would

Call it sloppy seconds maybe, but haven't Roscommon been pretty decent at under 21 and minor for the last few years? Maybe theres some potential there to work with now he won't get a look in with Mayo

Sounds like a bit of a farce in all honesty in relation to your County boards selection process. Liam McHale was a terrific player in his day, but seems to put his foot in it a fair bit when he opens his mouth to speak mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

There were rules agreed and McNicolous just ignored them.

I'd love to know how you came to this conclusion and what you're privy to that is clearly well outside the public domain and only in the domain of speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

He'd be more highly regarded than most of the people on the county board.

Because he's not a backslapper or an insider, he's not respected it seems. He tells it as it is, he's had some achievement as a player and on the sideline that can't be discounted, and his achievements on and off the field are more significant that most other people associated with Mayo football.

oh this horse **** again, pointless responding. He has been very involved a various levels of Mayo football, how exactly is he not an insider?

Actually I have very little interest in hearing what McHale has to say. I do however, have interest in what McStay has to say. He didn't criticise the hiring process, only the people he felt were giving out about McHale and his comments in the media. This whole thing comes down to Donie Buckley really. If McStay comes in as manager, he brings McHale and no Buckley. The alternative is Connelly/Homles with Buckley. Most rational people, especially the players, want Buckley and so, in an arse-ways fashion, the County Board chose Connelly.

Fair enough. Two things about this, Buckley was all but signed up for Kerry u21s last week, so did McStay know this? He might have presented his team based on the assumption that Buckley wasn't available. The other point is that McStay should be entitled to bring in anyone he sees fit. The Mayo County Board should have no say on who he brings in. They were at this craic years ago with John O'Mahoney and he told them where to go and rightly so.

McStay is maintaining a dignified silence as you say. McHale is pretty much speaking on his behalf. If McStay was all over the media you'd be saying he should keep quite.

Seems like neither of them can win with some people.

• Advertisement

Rockfish wrote: »
    oh this horse **** again, pointless responding. He has been very involved a various levels of Mayo football, how exactly is he not an insider?

He's not currently involved with Mayo football in a way Connelly is who has been working on development squads and the like for a while now.

statto25 wrote: »
    Aidan O'Shea is on The Last Word this evening talking about the campaign this year and the managerial saga. I cant imagine he will have much to say on the latter however!

he should not get involved. Especially since the co board member who resigned is a clubman of his as is the Mayo News journalist who is making all the running with this. (oh and that not a slur on the journalist btw, far from it, he's doing his job, handy to have such good scources mind)

Avns1s wrote: »
    I'd love to know how you came to this conclusion and what you're privy to that is clearly well outside the public domain and only in the domain of speculation?

Are you even bothering to follow this whole story?

A county board member resigned saying the whole thing was a sham. That rules were agreed and then ignored. Please try to keep up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fair enough. Two things about this, Buckley was all but signed up for Kerry u21s last week, so did McStay know this? He might have presented his team based on the assumption that Buckley wasn't available. The other point is that McStay should be entitled to bring in anyone he sees fit. The Mayo County Board should have no say on who he brings in. They were at this craic years ago with John O'Mahoney and he told them where to go and rightly so.

McStay is maintaining a dignified silence as you say. McHale is pretty much speaking on his behalf. If McStay was all over the media you'd be saying he should keep quite.

He has a piece in the paper today.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-reveals-massive-disappointment-in-missing-out-on-mayo-post-and-slams-liam-mchales-detractors-30611206.html

Really???

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-reveals-massive-disappointment-in-missing-out-on-mayo-post-and-slams-liam-mchales-detractors-30611206.html
    "Apparently, some players and members of James Horan's managerial structure had a problem with some of the comments he(McHale) made over a period of time in a local newspaper. God love them if their sensitivities were a little bruised," he added. -

He's not currently involved with Mayo football in a way Connelly is who has been working on development squads and the like for a while now.

I didnt say he was and Connelly as such will have a better knowledge of the talent available

yes he's entitled to give his opinion and people are entilted to respond as they see fit and you're doing a fair bit of sniping yourself

McStay said he accepted the decision, was disappointed, naturally, wished the two lads all the best, said he would always have McHale as part of his team.

I believe this is his position. That to me is a relatively dignified silence. We all know what he really thinks but he's maintaining his dignity over the whole thing.

As opposed to the mayo "supporters" who look for every opportunity to snipe at McHale and embarrass themselves in doing so.

McStay said he accepted the decision, was disappointed, naturally, wished the two lads all the best, said he would always have McHale as part of his team.

I believe this is his position. That to me is a relatively dignified silence. We all know what he really thinks but he's maintaining his dignity over the whole thing.

As opposed to the mayo "supporters" who look for every opportunity to snipe at McHale and embarrass themselves in doing so.

Having a dig at the players 'sensitive' side isn't dignified, it's churlish but it's no big deal. I have the height of regard for McStay and am not in any way sniping at him nor is anyone else on here, criticism is allowed you know. And whats with your use of " for supporters? Pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Afraid this isn't maintaining dignity ;)
    "Apparently, some players and members of James Horan's managerial structure had a problem with some of the comments he(McHale) made over a period of time in a local newspaper. God love them if their sensitivities were a little bruised," he added.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement