Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

realweirdo wrote: »
    Are you even bothering to follow this whole story?

A county board member resigned saying the whole thing was a sham. That rules were agreed and then ignored. Please try to keep up.

Perhaps I am following it as you are but in any case I don't get how you can extrapolate from the fact that one member resigned that the Chairman broke the rules and say that for definite.

I think there's more to this story than most of the idle speculation here allows for. I also think that the blame for this mess (and it is a mess) might be being misappropriated in part at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Avns1s wrote: »
    Perhaps I am following it as you are but in any case I don't get how you can extrapolate from the fact that one member resigned that the Chairman broke the rules and say that for definite.

I think there's more to this story than most of the idle speculation here allows for. I also think that the blame for this mess (and it is a mess) might be being misappropriated in part at least.

Why did the member resign? Its on the public record what the member who resigned said and the reason he resigned. Its not speculation. His reasons were clearcut.

yop wrote: »
    Afraid this isn't maintaining dignity ;)

I'm afraid it is. Like some people have said, he's not going to throw his friend under the bus to please anyone and he's not going to stand by while people snipe at his friend. That's only natural.

Out of all this mess, McStay has emerged with the most dignity.

Next you will be saying the County Board were dignified.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm afraid it is. Like some people have said, he's not going to throw his friend under the bus to please anyone and he's not going to stand by while people snipe at his friend. That's only natural.

Out of all this mess, McStay has emerged with the most dignity.

Next you will be saying the County Board were dignified.

Nah, its a swipe at the players, if he wanted to have a swipe it should have been at the board. He is dirty his bib now

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

IF some players went on the record saying they did not want McHale as he was critical of them in the past then we are in deep trouble. Thats a poor attitude and hints at mental softness .......

• Advertisement

Nah, its a swipe at the players, if he wanted to have a swipe it should have been at the board. He is dirty his bib now

Oh right, because he's dirtied his bib he shouldn't get the Mayo job?

I'm afraid you have hit the nail on the head now why Mayo will always come close but no cigar when it comes to winning AIs.

And you've also confirmed that unless you are friendly or pally or a back slapper who's in with the county board, you will never get the Mayo job. At least you are honest about that. I guess the CB didn't want a return to a confrontation like they had periodically with Horan and wanted instead a relatively compliant manager going forward.

McStay was never going to get this this job. He'd put too many noses out of joint, too straight talking, too radical. Some people wouldn't be able to handle the directness and the criticism.

The wait for Sam will go on.

This is a circular discussion now with no end in sight so I am going to jump off at this stage as its generating more heat than light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

km79 wrote: »
    IF some players went on the record saying they did not want McHale as he was critical of them in the past then we are in deep trouble. Thats a poor attitude and hints at mental softness .......
    oh ffs stop making stuff up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm afraid you have hit the nail on the head now why Mayo will always come close but no cigar when it comes to winning AIs.

And you've also confirmed that unless you are friendly or pally or a back slapper who's in with the county board, you will never get the Mayo job. At least you are honest about that.

McStay was never going to get this this job. He'd put too many noses out of joint, too straight talking, too radical. Some people wouldn't be able to handle the directness and the criticism.

The wait for Sam will go on.

This is a circular discussion now with no end in sight so I am going to jump off at this stage as its generating more heat than light.

LOL - He was rejected for the Mayo job, now he has dirtied his bib. That statement was made today. You said he remained dignified, he didnt.

I have not confirmed anything about what you need, obviously though he didn't have it in 1996 or 2014 for the Mayo job or the Fermangh or Kildare jobs. So its not just today that we learnt he doesn't seem to have the qualities.

Ah we will never know now if he would have because he won't get it in the future I would say.

KM79 is right on both counts.

LOL - He was rejected for the Mayo job, now he has dirtied his bib. That statement was made today. You said he remained dignified, he didnt.

I have not confirmed anything about what you need, obviously though he didn't have it in 1996 or 2014 for the Mayo job or the Fermangh or Kildare jobs. So its not just today that we learnt he doesn't seem to have the qualities.

Ah we will never know now if he would have because he won't get it in the future I would say.

A wholly immature post, even you have to admit that. Your concern is with whether managers dirty their bibs or not, not whether they have the right CV for the job.

This is the level of debate some Mayo fans descend to.

• Advertisement

really? care to elaborate?
    And you've also confirmed that unless you are friendly or pally or a back slapper who's in with the county board, you will never get the Mayo job. At least you are honest about that. I guess the CB didn't want a return to a confrontation like they had periodically with Horan and wanted instead a relatively compliant manager going forward.

Absolutely disgraceful stuff, insinuating tha Connelly and Holmes are nothing but yes men. Most people in the county wanted the management team we've got, deal with that reality. We have no idea why McStay didnt get the job, McHale said some of his ideas were too radical, maybe they were, who knows? It wasnt our decision to make anyway.

KM79 is right on both counts.

Ok then, so which players went on record?

really? care to elaborate?

Absolutely disgraceful stuff, insinuating tha Connelly and Holmes are nothing but yes men. Most people in the county wanted the management team we've got, deal with that reality. We have no idea why McStay didnt get the job, McHale said some of his ideas were too radical, maybe they were, who knows? It wasnt our decision to make anyway.

Again, we are stuck in the cycle here.

Rules were agreed about a certain process and Thursday night was going to be when it was decided who go the job. And off goes McNicolas on a solo run.

These are all facts in the public domain.

I'm at the stage of putting you on ignore because you refuse to deal with facts in the public domain.

As for most people in the county wanting the management we have, every poll I have seen indicates 2-1 split in favour of McStay and McHale so stop talking nonsense for once.

Ok then, so which players went on record?

You said he was making things up. He merely quoted McStay. A lot of your posts are completely irrational and you don't seem to be following this issue too well.

A wholly immature post, even you have to admit that. Your concern is with whether managers dirty their bibs or not, not whether they have the right CV for the job.

This is the level of debate some Mayo fans descend to.

Nah its not mature, nothing to do with the dirty bib, thats after the matter if you read what I said.

Well able for debate, but some lads just can't accept the truth.

Thought you had left ;)

You said he was making things up. He merely quoted McStay. A lot of your posts are completely irrational and you don't seem to be following this issue too well.
    IF some players went on the record saying they did not want McHale as he was critical of them in the past then we are in deep trouble. Thats a poor attitude and hints at mental softness

So this is a direct quote from mcstay is it? If it is i hadnt spotted it and assumed it was km's opinion.

perhaps you'd like to point out which posts are completely irrational and i will try and use simpler language for you

So this is a direct quote from mcstay is it? If it is i hadnt spotted it and assumed it was km's opinion.

It is indeed.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...-30611206.html
    "Apparently, some players and members of James Horan's managerial structure had a problem with some of the comments he(McHale) made over a period of time in a local newspaper. God love them if their sensitivities were a little bruised," he added.

"But I must make it clear to all: having worked at all levels of the game for more than 30 years. I have tey to meet or work with a better coach."

What i quoted form KM is not in that quote. Try again oh and as for those irrational posts??????

have a look a few posts up from my post for McStays actual words on the matter.
    I'm not in the business of making things up.
    For the record I would have preferred McStay/McHale and frankly find the players attitude worrying . of course it could be fringe players or ex players who knows

What i quoted form KM is not in that quote. Try again oh and as for those irrational posts??????

Not a hope of me engaging with you again. I've come to the conclusion you don't have a clue what you are talking about as I'd say most other people have. Go off and read a few articles, particulary the one in the Mayo News about the sham that the process has been. Then come back and people might listen to you. In the meantime I'm sticking you on ignore.

• Advertisement

Not a hope of me engaging with you again. I've come to the conclusion you don't have a clue what you are talking about as I'd say most other people have. Go off and read a few articles, particulary the one in the Mayo News about the sham that the process has been. Then come back and people might listen to you. In the meantime I'm sticking you on ignore.

Sorry but i, do know exactly what im talking about, we all know the story. We just have different reactions, seems like you can handle that sort of debate, fine. Ignore me? Sound as a bell, accuse me of stuff and when i ask for examples you throw a fit and storm off, sums you up.

km79 wrote: »
    have a look a few posts up from my post for McStays actual words on the matter.
    I'm not in the business of making things up.
    For the record I would have preferred McStay/McHale and frankly find the players attitude worrying . of course it could be fringe players or ex players who knows

You were inferring that players went 'on the record' Mc Stay never even hinted at that.

You were inferring that players went 'on the record' Mc Stay never even hinted at that.

read my post again
    there is a capital IF at the start for a reason
    " IF the players..... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

McStay should have been given an interview. It is not only disrespectful to him, but also disrespectful to whatever club(s) nominated him. They too went through a process and for what? Nothing.

McStay says "Apparently, some players and members of James Horan's managerial structure had a problem with some of the comments he (McHale) made over a period of time in a local newspaper. God love them if their sensitivities were a little bruised"

Players should never choose their own manager. It does not work. However, whoever is appointed as their manager must have their respect. More intriguing is the reference to the 'managerial structure'. Why on earth would any member of the 'managerial structure' that is still in place have any problem with McHale writing something? I can understand players as the criticism can be considered a little more personal. But a member of the 'managerial structure'? - I dont get it!

I think Connelly is a better appointment (although the co-manager thing is somewhat perplexing) but they should have been afforded an equal chance to get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,010 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He'd be more highly regarded than most of the people on the county board.

Because he's not a backslapper or an insider, he's not respected it seems. He tells it as it is, he's had some achievement as a player and on the sideline that can't be discounted,, and his achievements on and off the field are more significant that most other people associated with Mayo football.

Can you list these achievements please ?
    Especially the sideline ones

Links to sources would be handy too, because you are the poster that suggested that Connelly was responsible for Castlebars failure to win the club final this year, when in fact he was not even involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

FFS. The last few pages on this thread puts it in danger of equalling the embarrassment of how the CB has handled this mess!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

"Apparently, some players and members of James Horan's managerial structure had a problem with some of the comments he(McHale) made over a period of time in a local newspaper. God love them if their sensitivities were a little bruised," he added.

This is a quote from the interview in the Indo. Leaving the players aside who is he referring to when he says managerial structure ? Either Tom Prendergast, Donie Buckley, Peter Burke ? Could it be a case that Buckley gave the ultimatum to Paddy Mac and said "if you bring in McStay, I am outta here"

The interview also states that he was told he was not the preferred choice:
    "McNicholas rang Kevin McStay the next day to inform him that Connelly and Holmes were the preferred option"

Might it be the case that he was never told that he wouldn't be getting the job. All this trouble with the CB makes the Gareth Gigs debacle look like a stroll in the park. Cant wait for Reeling in the years in 20 years time.

Alas friends twill be all the sweeter when we win the holy grail next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

The word is that McNicholas is going to tell the board this evening that McStay & McHale were looking for too much money for the job so it automatically ruled them out of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,010 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

McStay has been talking about this again.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0925/647869-mcstay-mayo-have-missed-out-on-mchale/
    "Mayo didn’t particularly need Kevin McStay as the manager but they absolutely needed Liam McHale as a coach. He is Mayo to the bone. For people to question his loyalty to Mayo, well has anybody played as long as Liam for his beloved colours.

I suppose he is saying that it's Mayo's loss that McHale will not be part of the management setup

That may be all well and good but if the upside to this is that get Buckley instead of McHale as part of the coaching team then I think I'll go with Buckley.

Plus I don't think anyone is questioning McHale's loyalty to Mayo, I certainly am not, it's just that I don't think he would bring as much to the table as someone like Buckley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

McStay has been talking about this again.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0925/647869-mcstay-mayo-have-missed-out-on-mchale/

I suppose he is saying that it's Mayo's loss that McHale will not be part of the management setup

That may be all well and good but if the upside to this is that get Buckley instead of McHale as part of the coaching team then I think I'll go with Buckley.

Plus I don't think anyone is questioning McHale's loyalty to Mayo, I certainly am not, it's just that I don't think he would bring as much to the table as someone like Buckley.

Who is saying that Buckley would go if McHale was a coach?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement