Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

keane2097 wrote: »
    Hopeful ball in my hole, it was a superb, pinpoint delivery.

Horan really can be terribly ungracious at times.

TBF I think James Horan's comments may appear to be mealy mouthed but they need to interpreted in the context of the particular game time.He was simply stating that with Kerry 4 points down with time running out a goal was a requisite.So the nicities of a measured build up type approach went out the window.A more direct,route one approach was a necessity.Hence the long ball into Donaghy,it was as much a criticism of his own players failure to prevent the supply of same as a grudging statement of the at the time precarious position Kerry were in.It was an excellent but a none too subtle tactic however effective it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The GAA have handled this very poorly it must be said. 'To hell or to Limerick' seems to be their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,189 ✭✭✭✭km79

the only train back to the west which has a very limited capacity usually has already sold out ! and no plans for another train .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

km79 wrote: »
    the only train back to the west which has a very limited capacity usually has already sold out ! and no plans for another train .....

Buses? Far from trains we were reared!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,189 ✭✭✭✭km79

Neeson wrote: »
    Buses? Far from trains we were reared!

I am not based in Mayo unfortunately ! no buses here. went to book train this evening . it was going to be tight enough to make the train home anyway but it was sold out.
    the whole thing is a shambles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Taxicab?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Is Saturday's game live on tv?
    I wish Mayo every goodluck.
    It's best at this stage to put aside the venue issue. Raise it in October if you want, but Mayo can do without that distraction now.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

feargale wrote: »
    Is Saturday's game live on tv?
    I wish Mayo every goodluck.
    It's best at this stage to put aside the venue issue. Raise it in October if you want, but Mayo can do without that distraction now.

The match is being shown on RTE, SKY sports 4 & HD and on GAAGO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Keegans Appeal to be heard Thursday evening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Kalyke wrote: »

Cant see it been overturned and in fairness "technically" he was sent off rightly, at the time I didn't think he should have and possibly worse was let go, but at the end of the day he kicked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

Did Dublin not get theres turned over when insert Dublin player her can't think of his name clearly struck his marker in the face?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    Did Dublin not get theres turned over when insert Dublin player her can't think of his name clearly struck his marker in the face?

Dont know, when was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    Dont know, when was that?

Diarmuid Connelly had a red turned to a yellow a few years back.
    Not sure of the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

km79 wrote: »
    I am not based in Mayo unfortunately ! no buses here. went to book train this evening . it was going to be tight enough to make the train home anyway but it was sold out.
    the whole thing is a shambles

Where are ya based? Maybe someone on here is going from same area and could offer a lift?

Kalyke wrote: »

On what grounds are they appealing? By the wording of the rule it was a sending off and if it was a Kerry lad we would have been roaring for his sending off at the time.

I know that Connolly got his rescinded a few years back though and his was far more blatant.

If its good enough for the dubs

If its good enough for the dubs

Why are people so fascinated by the Dubs? We are Mayo so could we maybe concentrate on the issue at hand.

Personally cannot see what grounds they can even launch an appeal on.

The sending off was totally out of sync with the way the game was played. Yes there was loads of blocking, pulling, dragging and what some would call cynical fouling but nothing dirty or malicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

On what grounds are they appealing? By the wording of the rule it was a sending off and if it was a Kerry lad we would have been roaring for his sending off at the time.

TBH I wouldn't have been, it was a nothing incident.

Why are people so fascinated by the Dubs? We are Mayo so could we maybe concentrate on the issue at hand.

Personally cannot see what grounds they can even launch an appeal on.

The sending off was totally out of sync with the way the game was played. Yes there was loads of blocking, pulling, dragging and what some would call cynical fouling but nothing dirty or malicious.

Did u watch back the sending off on TV?
    What I ment in if its good enough for the dubs is that if they can get away with a tackle/slap then why not us.
    It was no way a sending off

What I ment in if its good enough for the dubs is that if they can get away with a tackle/slap then why not us.

In the context of the way the game was being played I agree it wasn't a sending off but going by the rule it was and is a sending off offense. Sunday Game panel said it was very harsh alright but it is still a red card. Will be amazed but delighted if he is playing on Saturday.

It was a flick of the leg(attempted kick), it is the same as swinging a punch but not connecting. Could be argued that no connection was made but the key word is intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yes it was a sending off.
    He struck or attempted to strike with his leg with minimum force.
    That's rule.
    How folks cannot see that I cannot understand.

Anyway when is the team out, Friday lunchtime I assume.

Can't wait for this game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I know that Connolly got his rescinded a few years back though and his was far more blatant.

I wasn't really the lads were shoving each other hard in the chest and connellys kind of deflected up higher around the neck but the Donegal player grabbed his face and made a meal of it holding around his nose and eyes when he was not struck there.
    The intent was not as clear cut. Refs seem to let lads hop off the chest but not kick.

I don't think they GAA wanted that type of reaction to become part of the game.

This was a kick a different thing all together there is no exaggerated player reaction or pretenting to be injured that a review board can take into consideration to show the ref was deceived. Its similar in that there was a free and Kerry got in their faces and carried on when the game was stopped, but that's about it IMHO.
    It was a harmless kick but the ref saw 100% of the incident and the reaction, harmless and all as it was there is no other element or grounds to lift it, a kick does not need to connect to warrant a red.
    If they let this slide it would make a fool of the ref and the rulebook and I can't see that happening it would cause too much trouble in the future.

There is nothing that can be done for Keegan IMHO. Stacking this up as another injustice against Mayo won't work in their favour IMHO its just taking focus off the game and will hurt Mayo more than Kerry.

To be honest if the refs just moved the ball up 13M when this starts straight away it would prevent this IMO. It gets things moving again and lads don't stand around the spot where the free is refusing to move, goading each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

How is Gavin Duffy getting on? Sorry if it's been answered already, I just throw my eye over here now and again and probably missed any discussion with him. Would he be at the level of featuring in the semi for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Slim and none is essentially it at this stage regards Duffy featuring. He has been playing for his club in Salthill and is still around the panel setup. But considering he hasn't been named in the match squad up to now, it would be the ultimate curveball from Horan for Duffy to be given a run now. Keith Higgins was saying he has been some work horse in training so obvious a good impact to the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Stoner wrote: »
    To be honest if the refs just moved the ball up 13M when this starts straight away it would prevent this IMO. It gets things moving again and lads don't stand around the spot where the free is refusing to move, goading each other.

I'd love to see a rule brought in that the team who concede the free have to get back 13m without delay - similar to the rule in rugby where the team must retreat without delay or else get blown again, but in this case the ref bring the free forward 25 metres.

Basically the fouling team has to get out of the way of the free-taker immediately or they get punished.

It would also help refs out as it wouldnt be as easy for lads to be able to argue the toss if they are busy trying to get out of the way.

Also it would put more pressure on teams who tactically foul to slow up the play and would very likely increase the speed of the game which would make for an improved spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭GBXI

Stoner wrote: »
    I wasn't really the lads were shoving each other hard in the chest and connellys kind of deflected up higher around the neck but the Donegal player grabbed his face and made a meal of it holding around his nose and eyes when he was not struck there.
    The intent was not as clear cut. Refs seem to let lads hop off the chest but not kick.

I don't think they GAA wanted that type of reaction to become part of the game.

This was a kick a different thing all together there is no exaggerated player reaction or pretenting to be injured that a review board can take into consideration to show the ref was deceived. Its similar in that there was a free and Kerry got in their faces and carried on when the game was stopped, but that's about it IMHO.
    It was a harmless kick but the ref saw 100% of the incident and the reaction, harmless and all as it was there is no other element or grounds to lift it, a kick does not need to connect to warrant a red.
    If they let this slide it would make a fool of the ref and the rulebook and I can't see that happening it would cause too much trouble in the future.

There is nothing that can be done for Keegan IMHO. Stacking this up as another injustice against Mayo won't work in their favour IMHO its just taking focus off the game and will hurt Mayo more than Kerry.

This is the biggest issue (or at least one of the many!) with the game of Gaelic football at the minute, and also (not that it's a good excuse) the reason Keegan kicked out. Frees are legitimately awarded to one team and the other team slow up the free taker by standing in front of him, pulling him, trying to pull the ball out of his hands, etc, etc. Refs are getting better now for bringing the ball up 13 metres but all this would be solved with a flash of a yellow towards the perpetrator as well as the 13 metres. That might take some foresight from the GAA administrators though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

GBXI wrote: »
    This is the biggest issue (or at least one of the many!) with the game of Gaelic football at the minute, and also (not that it's a good excuse) the reason Keegan kicked out. Frees are legitimately awarded to one team and the other team slow up the free taker by standing in front of him, pulling him, trying to pull the ball out of his hands, etc, etc. Refs are getting better now for bringing the ball up 13 metres but all this would be solved with a flash of a yellow towards the perpetrator as well as the 13 metres. That might take some foresight from the GAA administrators though.

Someone must have said that to the ref at half time on sunday because he gave two yellows soon after for the same sort of slowing down tactical fouls the kerry forwards were at all during the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Someone must have said that to the ref at half time on sunday because he gave two yellows soon after for the same sort of slowing down tactical fouls the kerry forwards were at all during the first half
    I thought that was the least enjoyable part of the game on Sunday. The very deliberate obstruction for the ball/player to slow up the free or remonstrating to the ref in form of the free taker to the same end. Its an over user word in GAA at this point - but it was cynical. I think Donegal had a plan for frees and that was part of it.

I'd like the authorities to take countenance of that for Saturday and start taking names/yellows and 13m's.

Outside that I'm looking forward to a hopefully cracking game. I don't think the Red will be rescinded and, as harsh as it was, it was in the "book" a red.

Piss poor tickets for the game. On the 21 yard line.

http://munster.gaa.ie/wp-content/themes/munster/uploads//Gaelic-Grounds.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

yop wrote: »
    Piss poor tickets for the game. On the 21 yard line.

http://munster.gaa.ie/wp-content/themes/munster/uploads//Gaelic-Grounds.jpg

Same 102. Big fuk off column in front of us too I suppose:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement