Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Really daft stuff, looks like certain elements in the local media won't be happy until Horan is hounded out.

I don't even think it comes down to that. It appears that he's (CT "journalist") just trying to be controversial; just trying to be seen and heard making noise. As JH said in the interview in the WP yesterday, he's never even bothered to come to a training session. He writes based on rumour, or possibly, rumour is based on what he writes, I'm not quite sure which.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have a feeling said Journo frequents this forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I don't even think it comes down to that. It appears that he's (CT "journalist") just trying to be controversial; just trying to be seen and heard making noise. As JH said in the interview in the WP yesterday, he's never even bothered to come to a training session. He writes based on rumour, or possibly, rumour is based on what he writes, I'm not quite sure which.

All being said I haven't read the article but from the sound of things the journalist is probably relying too much on what he hears in the pub.

On a side note it's annoying that the WP and CT have such poor web sites, it's a pain for those outside of the county, they haven't moved on from the 'posting out the papers to the relatives' era at all!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

All being said I haven't read the article but from the sound of things the journalist is probably relying too much on what he hears in the pub.

On a side note it's annoying that the WP and CT have such poor web sites, it's a pain for those outside of the county, they haven't moved on from the 'posting out the papers to the relatives' era at all!

His review of Mayo and his blatant cheap shots at JH on the edition directly after the AI final last year, while yes some of it held a thread of truth, was kicking a man while he was down. He got hammered on Facebook for it and rightly so.

Mayo News have a great online site. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is this the same journo who was banging on about people being right "to demand answers" or some such rubbish, immediately after the AI final last year?

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Is this the same journo who was banging on about people being right "to demand answers" or some such rubbish, immediately after the AI final last year?

Thats the one. I can't find the article as their site is closed, but it was on Facebook, I can't link to it here in work :o

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Who is the journalist? i'm presuming it's AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yop wrote: »
    Thats the one. I can't find the article as their site is closed, but it was on Facebook, I can't link to it here in work :o

Right you are. Rigththinking folk will just dismiss his kind of rubbish for what it is. But unfortunately when you are one of the most prominent teams in the country, you'll always attract the type of muckraker who is just out to make a name for himself & nothing more.

It is a terrible pity, as gives the rest of the decent, hardworking journalists a bad name & stops the players and managers from having anything to do with any of them. Which in turn, has a knock on effect on us lot. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Rockfish wrote: »
    Who is the journalist? i'm presuming it's AH?

The minute i heard this and not hearing which paper, thats who i guessed as well, might be wrong of course :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Was it John Melvin no? And they wonder why the CT is gone insolvent.

• Advertisement

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Was it John Melvin no? And they wonder why the CT is gone insolvent.

Not John Melvin. Nothing to do with insolvency, that was down to poor decision making

Gavin Duffy is back training with Mayo! There'll be some smug lads on this thread later, never thought it would happen.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/former-connacht-and-ireland-fullback-gavin-duffy-in-training-with-mayo-30275640.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Gavin Duffy is back training with Mayo! There'll be some smug lads on this thread later, never thought it would happen.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/former-connacht-and-ireland-fullback-gavin-duffy-in-training-with-mayo-30275640.html

Hon the Duffy boy, big morale boost to have him in there. Some midfield we have at the minute.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Hon the Duffy boy, big morale boost to have him in there. Some midfield we have at the minute.

It'll be Tadhg Kennelly all over again, wait and see :-)

Fair play to Horan for giving him the opportunity, even if he doesn't get a game it has certainly generated a buzz, badly needed after the petty squabbling of the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It'll be Tadhg Kennelly all over again, wait and see :-)

Fair play to Horan for giving him the opportunity, even if he doesn't get a game it has certainly generated a buzz, badly needed after the petty squabbling of the last few days.

Yes, Definitely a welcome distraction.

Let's try and get pearse Hanley home - sons of mayo, your county is calling :D

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Yes, Definitely a welcome distraction.

Let's try and get pearse Hanley home - sons of mayo, your county is calling :D

That boom you just heard was Syferus blowing his top...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Great move by Mayo management. Duffy is a good athlete, solid professional and can play a bit of football.
    I would stick him up full forward.

Well while I thought it was daft then maybe why not, different mentality, bit of a challenge for others. Stood out last night at training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Good Lord. I didnt see that coming.
    Fair Play, I hope if he does get a place he can make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

When is the last time Gavin Duffy played club football in Mayo,is he a payed up member of any club in Mayo? i'd wonder about the Mayo players that have been busting a gut to get on Mayo panel to get playing and not getting alot game time sacrificing everything for it and now those same players will watch on as this man that left GAA 13 years ago can suddenly at 32 walk onto the Mayo senior panel without kicking a ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

When is the last time Gavin Duffy played club football in Mayo,is he a payed up member of any club in Mayo? i'd wonder about the Mayo players that have been busting a gut to get on Mayo panel to get playing and not getting alot game time sacrificing everything for it and now those same players will watch on as this man that left GAA 13 years ago can suddenly at 32 walk onto the Mayo senior panel without kicking a ball?

They're only assessing him...he hasn't been called up to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭GBXI

If they were good enough they'd be on the panel. If Duffy is good enough he'll be on the panel. It's as simple as that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,185 ✭✭✭✭km79

He is not walking onto the panel . he is being given the opportunity to prove he is good enough to be brought into panel .like every club player in a match being watched Horan etc
    Fbd game, league games. There are still players on panel who have showed they are not good enough at the highest level BUT there was no one better so they keep their place year after year.
    If Duffy is better he will replace them and improve squads chance of AI glory. Simple.
    If Pearce Hanley returned in the morning I would hope he would also be given chance to earn his place........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So where do you play him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,185 ✭✭✭✭km79

Depending on his footballing skills centre or full forward I'd imagine.
    He may well end up as an impact sub first few games.
    Assuming he makes the cut of course ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I would hope coming from rugby he would have a keen eye for creating overlaps and being available off the shoulder of guys going into traffic (Kevin Mc.).

Impact sub in around the half forward line would be my guess if he's up to it that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I would hope coming from rugby he would have a keen eye for creating overlaps and being available off the shoulder of guys going into traffic (Kevin Mc.).

Impact sub in around the half forward line would be my guess if he's up to it that is.

Well it's a good thing Richie Feeney is out of favor

It would be a shame if they used an actual footballer as an impact half forward sub ahead of a 32 year old rugby retiree

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭GBXI

It would be a shame if they used an actual footballer as an impact half forward sub ahead of a 32 year old rugby retiree

Maybe if Richie made more of an impact when he plays he'd be less out of favour.

We're not just talking about any old 'rugby retiree', we're talking about this man here:

DuffyGavin.jpg

If the man can play and make a positive contribution then does that not make him an 'actual footballer'?

He's a big strong conditioned athlete and just might be the spark that Mayo need to fire the engine, let's face it we've been flat enough this year so far. There was certainly something missing in our forward line last year, not to get ahead of ourselves but this has given myself and a lot of fans a big buzz, who knows where it could end up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Well it certainly creates a big buzz around the whole scene. Mayo people were getting this news by text from all over the globe.
    Only reason I thought he might get looked at was that as a minor he was at a decent level of skill for a big player. I followed them all that year in '99 and he had the ability to catch kickouts in a crowd. I played against him few times underage and thought he was well able to move with the ball/pass. As I remember his shooting was okay, Robert Moran/Eoin Gallagher were the accurate forwards from that age group.
    I'd pick him in a roving forward role. Use him for direct running to create overlaps/goal chances/frees/black cards.
    Could shape up something like:
    Diarmuid OConnor AOS Kevin Mc
    Duffy Freeman Cillian OConnor

Suddenly we might have a forward line with 4 big men!! Cillian is also pretty physical people forget. Makes opposing defences jobs more difficult.

I will be surprised if he can't show enough to get on the panel. My prediction is he can claim a starting spot this season being trialled from the bench in next game. If we can get him to a higher playing level that is the kinda major addition we need to win Sam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement