Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Yop as established poster on here and moderator that is very unusual comment for you to make. To lose at home by 11 points to a clearly better side yet you think Dublin will eat the rossies alive? Dublin lost to Longford at home last year and if they do win Leinster they will do well to defeat the Ulster champions Tyrone or Cavan IMO.

Galway,Tipp etc also very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Disappointing to lose like that but unfortunately a couple of leaner years at minor before last year were a pointer to this result, the 2011 minors were well beaten by Ros as well. In 2006 we won an under 21 All Ireland with a lot of the previous year's minors but the difference between then and now was that they added to an under 21 team with plenty of quality in it already, the likes of Cafferkey, Cuniffe and Seamus O'Shea were able to combine with slightly older lads like Higgins, Conroy and Boyle to win it - this year the minors were asked to take on too much in their first year at under 21 because we didn't have enough quality in the previous two years age groups to play alongside them.

We should be a lot stronger at this level in 2015 and 2016. In the mean time we will need to deal with the reality that, other than one or two like Gallagher and Regan, there will be a gap of a couple of years before the next burst of talent breaks into the senior team. Since our senior panel could in no way be classed as old this shouldn't be a huge problem.

Ros continue to impress at underage level and given Galway's ongoing malaise they should be able to deliver on that promise and become our main provincial rivals at senior level for the next few years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »
    We weren't 'ate alive' by The Best U21 Team Ever in the 2012 AI U21 final and but for a few subs we could have held out the final eight minutes when we had the lead. That team contained more key players (the remaining ones just so happen to be exact same ones that played in 2012) than this year's Dublin panel and that doesn't even account for Ciaran Kilkenny's injury. This Roscommon team is better than the one that contested that match.

If we get that far I'd have no worries about being devoured by Dublin or anyone else. Always amazed by the blind hype that surrounds Dublin.

Oh, and you conceded goals because you weren't good enough to mark our well-signposted FFs, one of them half-fit. Those players have been doing that at every grade all the way up and at senior too. Also, one of our midfielders is 18, the other 19. Very little difference in age or experience.

Same applies to the Rossies in fairness, last nights win was greeted as if it was an AI final win, and we know the hype that surrounded the Rossie minor team last year, that ended well.
    Also remember the Rossies beat us in the FBD and we only need to look on here at the hype after that, how did that end against Leitrim?

We conceded because we didn't defend, it won't be that easy again.

Yop as established poster on here and moderator that is very unusual comment for you to make. To lose at home by 11 points to a clearly better side yet you think Dublin will eat the rossies alive? Dublin lost to Longford at home last year and if they do win Leinster they will do well to defeat the Ulster champions Tyrone or Cavan IMO.

Galway,Tipp etc also very strong.

I'm not a moderator on here so thats irrelevant. I saw the Dubs game last week and I am comparing what I saw last week versus tonight, Dublins pace and clinical finishing if replicated will ate the Rossies.

If we had turned up, which we didn't, there wouldn't have been anywhere near that score, we have 4 wides one after the other, would have brought it to 5 points, as I said they won't face a team who don't defend and will be more clinical.
    I don't know about Tipp, Galway or Tyrone as I haven't seen them, I'm sure they will turn up, I saw Dublin and I am just relaying what I saw.

yop wrote: »
    I saw the Dubs game last week and I am comparing what I saw last week versus tonight, Dublins pace and clinical finishing if replicated will ate the Rossies.

You do know the Dubs bet Carlow by more at U21 level last year before going out to Longford right?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You do know the Dubs bet Carlow by more at U21 level last year before going out to Longford right?

If you are using the previous year as a marker for this year especially at U21 level then enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I love how the sheep stealers travel in big numbers when they are confident of a win. I happened to be sitting behind a good few of the senior panel and heard them comment on the very vocal support of the rossie crowd, quiet a few wondered would they be as vocal come June in the Hyde. Looking forward to repaying them in spades on their home turf if they manage to clear the sheep off it in time.
    Slagging aside, that's a decent rossie side and will take beating.

If you are using the previous year as a marker for this year especially at U21 level then enough said.

Its also enough said if you judge a side on how they fared against Carlow. I can tell you Dublin won't lose to Longford this year as Longford aren't a patch on their team last year. Cavan,Tyrone,Galway,Tipp,Dublin,Roscommon are the strongest U21 sides this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Rawhead wrote: »
    I love how the sheep stealers travel in big numbers when they are confident of a win. I happened to be sitting behind a good few of the senior panel and heard them comment on the very vocal support of the rossie crowd, quiet a few wondered would they be as vocal come June in the Hyde. Looking forward to repaying them in spades on their home turf if they manage to clear the sheep off it in time.
    Slagging aside, that's a decent rossie side and will take beating.
    I do hope they give us a good hard match, as we need a bit of a challenge on the way to HQ :D

Its also enough said if you judge a side on how they fared against Carlow. I can tell you Dublin won't lose to Longford this year as Longford aren't a patch on their team last year. Cavan,Tyrone,Galway,Tipp,Dublin,Roscommon are the strongest U21 sides this year.

Not how they fared, its how they performed, distinct difference. If you were at the match then I take your opinion on board.

So if Longford aren't a patch on what they were, then what you said about last year is obviously contradicting what you said.

I can't comment on Cavan, Tyrone, Galway and Tipp as I haven't seen them and prefer not to draw conclusions until I do.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I do hope they give us a good hard match, as we need a bit of a challenge on the way to HQ :D

Ah it will be same from them, probably basing it on their glorious FBD win and last night and writing us off.
    It was done 2 years ago and we know how that went ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Same applies to the Rossies in fairness, last nights win was greeted as if it was an AI final win, and we know the hype that surrounded the Rossie minor team last year, that ended well.
    Also remember the Rossies beat us in the FBD and we only need to look on here at the hype after that, how did that end against Leitrim?

We conceded because we didn't defend, it won't be that easy again.

I'm not a moderator on here so thats irrelevant. I saw the Dubs game last week and I am comparing what I saw last week versus tonight, Dublins pace and clinical finishing if replicated will ate the Rossies.

If we had turned up, which we didn't, there wouldn't have been anywhere near that score, we have 4 wides one after the other, would have brought it to 5 points, as I said they won't face a team who don't defend and will be more clinical.
    I don't know about Tipp, Galway or Tyrone as I haven't seen them, I'm sure they will turn up, I saw Dublin and I am just relaying what I saw.

We were delighted to win but like the team on the field we know we have bigger fish to fry than Mayo in a prelim game.

This game was a key game but not the target for the year. This is the fourth time in a row we've been Mayo at the grade, we've moved past celebrating beating ye as anything more than a stepping stone.

What you typed above was faintly ridiculous sour grapes, Yop. Take yer beating like we have had to on plenty of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

If ye're writing off Cork who went to Kerry last night and scored 0-18 without their marquee forward then your making a huge mistake. Munster final should be Cork v Tipp in Cork and that should count in Cork's favour as well.

We were delighted to win but like the team on the field we know we have bigger fish to fry than Mayo in a prelim game.

This game was a key game but not the target for the year. This is the fourth time in a row we've been Mayo at the grade, we've moved past celebrating beating ye as anything more than a stepping stone.

What you typed above was faintly ridiculous sour grapes, Yop. Take yer beating like we have had to on plenty of occasions.

Honestly, I take it you were at the match, standing ovation at 1/2 time, beating the galvanise during the 2nd half.... slight over celebration.

As for taking a beaten, now horseen, when the AI favorites Roscommon minors were beaten by Tyrone there wasn't a beep out of you, I definitely dont go into hiding when we get beaten ;)

Not how they fared, its how they performed, distinct difference. If you were at the match then I take your opinion on board.

So if Longford aren't a patch on what they were, then what you said about last year is obviously contradicting what you said.

I can't comment on Cavan, Tyrone, Galway and Tipp as I haven't seen them and prefer not to draw conclusions until I do.

Dublin 4-29 Carlow 0-2 was the scoreline last year i'd say they performed fairly well that night also. The first challenge they faced they were found wanted. Longford had the pick of 2010 Leinster minor team and had won the Hastings cup against Cavan. Only a few of that side are still underage this year.

It's well known how good Cavan are at this level Tipp are starting 11 of their 2011 minor All Ireland winning team and Galway have most of last years U-21s still underage
    slingerz wrote: »
    If ye're writing off Cork who went to Kerry last night and scored 0-18 without their marquee forward then your making a huge mistake. Munster final should be Cork v Tipp in Cork and that should count in Cork's favour as well.

I'm writing them off as far as winning the All Ireland. Kerry U21s at the moment are around the same level as Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So what do we think Dublin would be Mayo by at U21 then? 100?

Honestly, I take it you were at the match, standing ovation at 1/2 time, beating the galvanise during the 2nd half.... slight over celebration.

As for taking a beaten, now horseen, when the AI favorites Roscommon minors were beaten by Tyrone there wasn't a beep out of you, I definitely dont go into hiding when we get beaten ;)

Ros supporters always do that. We gave the lads a clap after losing a tight one against a Tyrone team no one thought we'd get near last year too.

Absolutely no indication of it being 'like winning the AI' to us. Any supporter that wouldn't clap their young lads off the field after a half like that isn't much of a supporter in my book.

Ros supporters always do that. We gave the lads a clap after losing a tight one against a Tyrone team no one thought we'd get near last year too.

Absolutely no indication of it being 'like winning the AI' to us. Any supporter that wouldn't clap their young lads off the field after a half like that isn't much of a supporter in my book.

LOL, right..........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89440028&postcount=807
    Mighty stuff form the u21 s last night, serious quality of young fellas in ros at the moment, is their any county what has better coming through. Murtagh looks like a star. I think we out numbered the mayos 2 to 1, great support, any time we beat the mayos feels like weve won the all ireland specially when we beat them there, the future looks bright

You are really being very ungracious about the loss TBH, just from a neutral perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

keane2097 wrote: »
    You are really being very ungracious about the loss TBH, just from a neutral perspective.

Agreed, completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Apart from the opening 10 mins Mayo were out thought,bullied, individually and collectively outclassed had no answer for superior Roscommon outfit. The final margin was 11 points however another two goal chances were missed & over ten wides were kicked mostly in the 2nd half when Ros had eased off.

A night to forget quickly for Mayo, Well done to Roscommon however i still think Galway with home advantage will be a match for them.

• Advertisement

GBXI wrote: »
    Agreed, completely.

I'm delighted for ye. Time will tell how good they are.

You are not seriously quoting RoscommonTom to support your case, are you? If you read more than one of his posts you'd realise how amazingly silly a choice that was.

Really expected better from you, Yop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blowitupref

You are not seriously quoting RoscommonTom to support your case, are you? If you read more than one of his posts you'd realise how amazingly silly a choice that was.

Really expected better from you, Yop.

RoscommonTom is some character alright. Did someone hack into Yop's account he's not himself...

You are not seriously quoting RoscommonTom to support your case, Yop? IF you read more than one of his posts you'd realise how amazingly silly a choice that was.

Really expected better from you Yop.

Well you said that Roscommon fans didn't react like it was an AI ;) I am just highlighting the point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Keane looked very frustrated the last day and conceded some silly fouls, he hasn't had a good year so far but it's early days and there's still plenty of time for him to improve, we need as many options in the back as possible, especially if Horan is going to keep up this experimenting with Higgins. Varley is another man that looks a bit flakey so far but the talent is there

Seems to show just the odd flashes of brilliance ( Varley).Scored a wonderful point against Kerry recently, looked very sharp overall.

I'm delighted for ye. Time will tell how good they are.

Nothing to be delighted about for me, my team were well beaten by a better team who I wish all the best and whose result I have no interest in belittling out of pettiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RoscommonTom is a legend.

Nothing to be delighted about for me, my team were well beaten by a better team who I wish all the best and whose result I have no interest in belittling out of pettiness.

As I said, I'm delighted for you.

As I said, I'm delighted for you.

You're normally orders of magnitude a better human than this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Seems to show just the odd flashes of brilliance ( Varley).Scored a wonderful point against Kerry recently, looked very sharp overall.

He's inconsistent at the best of times but he's capable of getting some great scores. Impact sub will be what he's used for.

Any word when the team will be announced lads?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement