Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It was worth trying but most of the experimental stuff hasn't worked out for Horan in the opening two games. Once the league re-starts i expect Mayo to kick on and possibly reach the semi finals.

Didn't work last year either but at least he is trying I'll give him that, the FBD and league are for trying out new systems and player so he has to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

yop wrote: »
    Didn't work last year either but at least he is trying I'll give him that, the FBD and league are for trying out new systems and player so he has to do it.

Don't think he has a choice! there was a quote in the mayo news today that horan reckons he's missing 20 players at the minute..
    Also Keegan , Boyle and cafferkey all picked up knocks on Sunday and will be touch and go for Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭blowitupref

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Don't think he has a choice! there was a quote in the mayo news today that horan reckons he's missing 20 players at the minute..
    Also Keegan , Boyle and cafferkey all picked up knocks on Sunday and will be touch and go for Kerry

Exaggerating much? or is he including players no longer on the panel. On Sunday Mayo had 8 players that started the All Ireland final last September and Kevin Keane who started the 2012 AI final. A decent team for a league game in early Feb and Drake,McHale,Gallagher are showing well.

The three week break has come at a good time if Keegan,Boyle,Cafferkey are injured.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What would the 20 be I wonder?

2 Goalkeepers, Cunniffe, Feeney, Reilly?, Moran, King, COC, Dillon, Seamie, Parsons, Vaughan, Regan??? - that 13.

Any more?

What would the 20 be I wonder?

2 Goalkeepers, Cunniffe, Feeney, Reilly?, Moran, King, COC, Dillon, Seamie, Parsons, Vaughan, Regan??? - that 13.

Any more?

Barrett, Varley would be two more off the top of my head.
    Maybe mikey Sweeney or a couple of others from kiltane?

• Advertisement

Exaggerating much? or is he including players no longer on the panel. On Sunday Mayo had 8 players that started the All Ireland final last September and Kevin Keane who started the 2012 AI final. A decent team for a league game in early Feb and Drake,McHale,Gallagher are showing well.

The three week break has come at a good time if Keegan,Boyle,Cafferkey are injured.

Thinking about it now, The 20 must also include the three from Sunday. I agree it was a decent team that lined out and the lads you mentioned all done well.

We have over two weeks to get some players back. The two defeats makes the Kerry game obviously vital now.

The others goalkeepers have a lot to do if they want to dislodge Hennelly as no 1 and he has improved his free taking this year.

Cunniffe,O'Connor,Vaughan,Barrett are four certs to start once they return however i have my doubts with Dillon who has plenty of mileage on the clock and struggling to keep fit. Horan will have to choose between Barry Moran or S O'Shea as AOS is sure to hold down the other midfield spot.

As for rest it hard to see many of them starting come championship though i think for example Feeney should be a starter.

The others goalkeepers have a lot to do if they want to dislodge Hennelly as no 1 and he has improved his free taking this year.

Cunniffe,O'Connor,Vaughan,Barrett are four certs to start once they return however i have my doubts with Dillon who has plenty of mileage on the clock and struggling to keep fit. Horan will have to choose between Barry Moran or S O'Shea as AOS is sure to hold down the other midfield spot.

As for rest it hard to see many of them starting come championship though i think for example Feeney should be a starter.

I'd go with Clarke myself but hennelly is a very good keeper.
    Midfield does look strong now with gibbons also showing very well. If you include Parsons then that's five there including two all stars fighting for a place.
    I agree with you on Dillion, I think he would be best held in reserve. Bringing him on with 20 minutes to go in a tight match could be a calming influence.

I'd go with Clarke myself but hennelly is a very good keeper.
    Midfield does look strong now with gibbons also showing very well. If you include Parsons then that's five there including two all stars fighting for a place.
    I agree with you on Dillion, I think he would be best held in reserve. Bringing him on with 20 minutes to go in a tight match could be a calming influence.

Agree that Dillion is under threat now mainly from Gallagher. The rest I agree with except again I think Hennelly as he did once more in the FBD game, is error prone. Yes his free taking has improved but thats COC or McLoughlin job so if he is there for that reason only then its not a good enough one, he is still very vunerable under the high ball

Horan has a big headache to deal with, its a good one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭GBXI

Agree that Dillion is under threat now mainly from Gallagher. The rest I agree with except again I think Hennelly as he did once more in the FBD game, is error prone. Yes his free taking has improved but thats COC or McLoughlin job so if he is there for that reason only then its not a good enough one, he is still very vunerable under the high ball

Horan has a big headache to deal with, its a good one though!

Completely disagree with the Hennelly comments. He is no more error-prone than Clarke and is most definitely a better distributor of the ball. I consider both to be the same under the high ball, neither perfect but as good as any other keeper in the country in that respect. Hennelly has the advantage of being a lot lighter on his feet, which helps when is comes to quick kick-outs and releasing the ball quickly. He is Mayo's best long-range free-taker too, better than O'Connor, which is another feather in his cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

GBXI wrote: »
    Completely disagree with the Hennelly comments. He is no more error-prone than Clarke and is most definitely a better distributor of the ball. I consider both to be the same under the high ball, neither perfect but as good as any other keeper in the country in that respect. Hennelly has the advantage of being a lot lighter on his feet, which helps when is comes to quick kick-outs and releasing the ball quickly. He is Mayo's best long-range free-taker too, better than O'Connor, which is another feather in his cap.

Better than o Connor what are u on about,hennelly I sent even in the same league as o conner never mind dbeing better than him.
    Much prefer Clark in goal.

naughto wrote: »
    Better than o Connor what are u on about,hennelly I sent even in the same league as o conner never mind dbeing better than him.
    Much prefer Clark in goal.

Yes, long-range (from the 45 and further out) he is a better free-taker - that's why he tends to take them. Hennelly is a better all-round keeper than Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I only saw the highlights of Sunday's game but going from the previous game against Kildare, if Barrett is not back from injury after the break I wouldn't mind seeing Higgins back in the corner instead of Boyle, Boyle back to 7 and Gibbons at centre forward. He looks a hard man to stop when he's running and should cause the Kerry/Cork half back lines problems with his power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think Robert Hennelly and David Clarke are top class goalkeepers,we're very fortunate to have such riches,Kenneth o Malley is not too shabby either.Both are fine shot stoppers,good under the high ball and have excellent kick outs.Agreed Hennelly is lighter on his feet and a quicker distributor but I agree with posters who've mentioned that he can make the odd mistake or have a rush of blood to the head.So it's Clarke by a short head for me.

Detest goalkeepers taking 45s,Robert Hennelly on his day is a fine exponent of long free taking but he can be hit and miss.IMO Cillian o Connor without doubt is our best long range free taker.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think Robert Hennelly and David Clarke are top class goalkeepers,we're very fortunate to have such riches,Kenneth o Malley is not too shabby either.Both are fine shot stoppers,good under the high ball and have excellent kick outs.Agreed Hennelly is lighter on his feet and a quicker distributor but I agree with posters who've mentioned that he can make the odd mistake or have a rush of blood to the head.So it's Clarke by a short head for me.

Detest goalkeepers taking 45s,Robert Hennelly on his day is a fine exponent of long free taking but he can be hit and miss.IMO Cillian o Connor without doubt is our best long free taker.

What's the problem with this?

Nah, ask anyone from Dublin and what the key point was, we have discussed this previously and again in the NUIG game he got caught under a high ball and cost yet another goal. That his job, not 45's.
    Cluxton is a1 at 45's and Hennelly is getting there, but Cluxton does his job as well.
    Quick kick outs... we don't use them, so wouldn't use that.
    Clarke is a more more robust keeper, again note the Kildare match and see what happened to Hennelly for the a number of scores when he went up against the Kildare FF.
    Its great to have him, but there he is always one game away from a mistake.

Nah, ask anyone from Dublin and what the key point was, we have discussed this previously and again in the NUIG game he got caught under a high ball and cost yet another goal. That his job, not 45's.
    Cluxton is a1 at 45's and Hennelly is getting there, but Cluxton does his job as well.
    Quick kick outs... we don't use them, so wouldn't use that.
    Clarke is a more more robust keeper, again note the Kildare match and see what happened to Hennelly for the a number of scores when he went up against the Kildare FF.
    Its great to have him, but there he is always one game away from a mistake.

Didn't see NUIG game but AI Final he def could have done better, but so could Caff. Cluxton is the best around no doubt, but look at the cock up he made for Andy Moran's goal. Clarke made a similar one v Murphy in 2nd half of 2012 AI final. No one is perfect.

Most important thing for a modern keeper, in my opinion, is distribution. It's not just about short-ones, it's about hitting Higgins, Boyle, Keegan, Vaughan, KmcL, O'Shea's in space from time to time as well. Hennelly is better at this than Clarke. Under the high-ball, Clarke might be slightly better, but it's debatable. Hennelly is an incredible shot-stopper to boot.

Didn't see NUIG game but AI Final he def could have done better, but so could Caff. Cluxton is the best around no doubt, but look at the cock up he made for Andy Moran's goal. Clarke made a similar one v Murphy in 2nd half of 2012 AI final. No one is perfect.

Most important thing for a modern keeper, in my opinion, is distribution. It's not just about short-ones, it's about hitting Higgins, Boyle, Keegan, Vaughan, KmcL, O'Shea's in space from time to time as well. Hennelly is better at this than Clarke. Under the high-ball, Clarke might be slightly better, but it's debatable. Hennelly is an incredible shot-stopper to boot.

Not similar, check back through this thread, I have videos of both incidents and the difference between the 2. Also Murphy got a point off that incident as Clarke was on top of him, note where Hennelly was in this year AI.
    I played as a keeper for a lot of years and did coaching badges for same and Hennelly starting position and where he was in the air when the ball came in was a basic mistake.

Since they changed the rules on the highball its become critical that they can at least compete with the FF, look at the amount of goals we have conceded this year alone from this.
    Agree he is a super shot stopper and distributor, but has still cost us in game doing the job he is there to do.

Not similar, check back through this thread, I have videos of both incidents and the difference between the 2. Also Murphy got a point off that incident as Clarke was on top of him, note where Hennelly was in this year AI.
    I played as a keeper for a lot of years and did coaching badges for same and Hennelly starting position and where he was in the air when the ball came in was a basic mistake.

Since they changed the rules on the highball its become critical that they can at least compete with the FF, look at the amount of goals we have conceded this year alone from this.
    Agree he is a super shot stopper and distributor, but has still cost us in game doing the job he is there to do.

Haha, I think we've had this debate already!! And I know I can't agree that the Murphy point was any different, Clarke was so lucky he didn't concede a goal - actually a bad miss by Murphy. The thing about Brogan's goal was that it was a great pass (by Paul Flynn I think) in that it landed perfectly between Caff/Brogan and Hennelly. Keeper still should have been quicker off his line all right.

Anyway, to summarise, Hennelly (the modern keeper) all day for me!

Haha, I think we've had this debate already!! And I know I can't agree that the Murphy point was any different, Clarke was so lucky he didn't concede a goal - actually a bad miss by Murphy. The thing about Brogan's goal was that it was a great pass (by Paul Flynn I think) in that it landed perfectly between Caff/Brogan and Hennelly. Keeper still should have been quicker off his line all right.

Anyway, to summarise, Hennelly (the modern keeper) all day for me!

True, but I'm right :p

We'll agree to disagree, again, I wouldn't care if you were in goal, as long as we win Sam ;)

• Advertisement

What's the problem with this?

Just think it tends to send out the signal that our outfield players/forwards who take frees are'nt up to the task,reducing confidence in same players.It's a bit of an abdication of their primary responsibility.

Just think it tends to send out the signal that our outfield players/forwards who take frees are'nt up to the task,reducing confidence in same players.It's a bit of an abdication of their primary responsibility.

I agree and disagree, you use all the qualities you have from front to back, stick fighter (aka hurlers) bring up keepers for frees and penalties, so I suppose the same can apply.
    Keepers from all the kickouts will in most cases have a longer hoof of a ball, its the accuracy where the problem is, bringing them up there just because it worked for Dublin is pointless (excuse the pun), but if they are accurate and can clock up points on a regular basis like Hennelly (clarke is better ;) ) has in the last couple of games then I don't think free takers should get too insulted.

Ah I can't agree with that. Keepers spend years kicking the ball of the ground and tend to be naturally better at it than any out-field player, so it makes sense that will take some of the longer ones. Definitely didn't hamper Dublin last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Great burst from Mitchels at the end. Well capable of winning the title. Just wait until those players return to the Mayo squad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Great win. Stuck €20 on them when gooch went off @13/5. Pity the the crokes players now back for next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Great burst from Mitchels at the end. Well capable of winning the title. Just wait until those players return to the Mayo squad!

Will be a boost for the rest of the panel. At least 4 or 5 will benefit the squad hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Who do you think will make championship panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Who do you think will make championship panel?

Won't Cunniffe be the only nailed on-starter? Moran's in with a shout but it's anyone's guess if there is even any sort of relationship remaining between Richie Feeney and James Horan. Lads like Kirby, Walsh and King really needed league time to come into contention and they won't get much of it now.

Love if somebody could clarify for me the REAL story re Richie Feeney and James Horan,thought the whole story was rubbish??:confused:

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Won't Cunniffe be the only nailed on-starter? Moran's in with a shout but it's anyone's guess if there is even any sort of relationship remaining between Richie Feeney and James Horan. Lads like Kirby, Walsh and King really needed league time to come into contention and they won't get much of it now.

Barry Moran for me is the best midfielder Mayo have one of O'Sheas will have to drop out or play in the forward line. Richie Feeney should be starter also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement