Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Intermediate Club All Ireland Final result: Truagh Gaels (Monaghan) 2-21, Kiltane 2-13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

ultrapercy wrote: »
    League form seems a better gauge of Mayos standing in the game than championship imo. The unimpeded march to a Championship qf where they meet a half beaten team gives the false impression to some that Mayo are the 2nd best team in the country. If gaelic games was run like real sports, on a proper league basis Mayo would be about 4th or 5th. That's not bad, just I don't think Mayo are quite as good as some supporters and pundits believe.

Lol so it's just mayo who should be judged? Nobody else then.
    I also would have sworn we beat Tyrone when it mattered last year in an all Ireland semi final.
    Also don't forget we are missing players because of injury and the castlebar lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Game was lost in the first half. Carolan and I think it was O'Shea should have had goals early on. This would have put Tyrone on the back foot. Instead we were 2 points a piece after 10 minutes and nothing to show for all the hard work. When we finally got going in the second half the deficit was too much. Very disappointing, another game played at half pace that could have been won had we not been so wasteful.

Thought Lee Keegan was immense, his shoulder on Cavanagh was the highlight of the day! Worked extremely hard throughout. Gallagher put in another serious performance and Drake has carried his form from the last day. Any Moran and Caff had difficult days at the office.

Big game needed against Kerry who seem to be struggling at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Intermediate Club All Ireland Final result: Truagh Gaels (Monaghan) 2-21, Kiltane 2-13.

Oh well, the ratio of National Finals lost to wins at all levels just gets worse and worse.

As for the county team, they can still get to the SFs, they should beat Kerry and Cork at home, beat Westmeath and that might be enough, it should be enough to stay up anyway.

League form seems a better gauge of Mayos standing in the game than championship imo. The unimpeded march to a Championship qf where they meet a half beaten team gives the false impression to some that Mayo are the 2nd best team in the country. If gaelic games was run like real sports, on a proper league basis Mayo would be about 4th or 5th. That's not bad, just I don't think Mayo are quite as good as some supporters and pundits believe.

I don't know about Mayo being second best team in the country, too early to say what the pecking order is really but comments like the above are premature given all the players Mayo are missing to injuries and club commitments. Excluding the AI finals obviously Mayo have delivered when it mattered. Also, Gaelic Games not being run like a real sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is everyone forgetting that they haven't much training done? I didn't buy this wanting to win the league story that was spun. We have a good 16/17 players from who last years team was being picked and if we can add another 5 to that from the league campaign then it can be deemed a success. Granted relegation needs to be avoided.

Game was lost in the first half. Carolan and I think it was O'Shea should have had goals early on. This would have put Tyrone on the back foot. Instead we were 2 points a piece after 10 minutes and nothing to show for all the hard work. When we finally got going in the second half the deficit was too much. Very disappointing, another game played at half pace that could have been won had we not been so wasteful.

Thought Lee Keegan was immense, his shoulder on Cavanagh was the highlight of the day! Worked extremely hard throughout. Gallagher put in another serious performance and Drake has carried his form from the last day. Any Moran and Caff had difficult days at the office.

Big game needed against Kerry who seem to be struggling at the moment.

First ten minutes is where it was lost alright. Should have been well clear at that stage but lost heart when they pulled away

Also, was listening to Radio 1 on the way home and of course the whole marksman issue came up again with Mortimer getting a mention. Even when all the regulars return it will probably be our undoing again this year.

Is everyone forgetting that they haven't much training done? I didn't buy this wanting to win the league story that was spun. We have a good 16/17 players from who last years team was being picked and if we can add another 5 to that from the league campaign then it can be deemed a success. Granted relegation needs to be avoided.

I thought we looked fit enough today, McLoughlin and Keegan in particular looked pacy. What killed us was the little mistakes - picking the ball off the ground, throwing the ball, bad passing, wides, kicking short. Tyrone looked sharp when they got up in front of goal. A lot of work needed but Horan said as much afterwards

I thought we looked fit enough today, McLoughlin and Keegan in particular looked pacy. What killed us was the little mistakes - picking the ball off the ground, throwing the ball, bad passing, wides, kicking short. Tyrone looked sharp when they got up in front of goal. A lot of work needed but Horan said as much afterwards

I always think those kind of things occur when fatigue or lack of concentration is an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Lol so it's just mayo who should be judged? Nobody else then.
    I also would have sworn we beat Tyrone when it mattered last year in an all Ireland semi final.
    Also don't forget we are missing players because of injury and the castlebar lads.
    no your right everyone can be judged on legue form to some degree. Dublin won the league last year. What I am saying is its a truer barometer for Connaught teams than championship. Every team misses players this time of year and Mayos probable mid table finnish is their true standing in the game. So lol yourself.

I don't know about Mayo being second best team in the country, too early to say what the pecking order is really but comments like the above are premature given all the players Mayo are missing to injuries and club commitments. Excluding the AI finals obviously Mayo have delivered when it mattered. Also, Gaelic Games not being run like a real sport?
    run like no real sport I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Oh well, the ratio of National Finals lost to wins at all levels just gets worse and worse.

Unfortunately yes. Kiltane got to within 2, but then Truagh got the last 6 scores.

no your right everyone can be judged on legue form to some degree. Dublin won the league last year. What I am saying is its a truer barometer for Connaught teams than championship. Every team misses players this time of year and Mayos probable mid table finnish is their true standing in the game. So lol yourself.

The league is used to blood new players, the main thing is teams use it to get some competitive games under their belt.

Playing the likes of Sligo in the championship will have more intensity than playing the likes of Dublin in the league. So your post doesn't hold up at all, infact I'd say that your post is just ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Disappointing day at the office for the lads,game lost as already mentioned in the early stages,very good goal chances spurned.
    Tyrone are well ahead of our lads in terms of early season I can only assume.McCurry and Donnelly were excellent inside for Tyrone(two real gems in the making),hopefully that's the last we'll see of Colm Boyle in the full back line.Unfortunately Kevin Keane's lack of pace is causing huge difficulties.
    Half back line was ok,Lee Keegan had a stormer,kicking his usual score on the run.Tyrone were hungrier and fitter and picked up a lot of breaking balls,Harte orchestrated very well from centre back.
    Adam Gallagher again shone like a beacon in the forward line,Andy Moran as a playmaker was quite good but a lot of ball was turned over with poor passing.Really not convinced as always re Kevin McLaughlin's reliability as a right sided free taker.
    Relegation must be avoided at all costs,real 6 pointer against the Kingdom and our other home games plus Westmeath.Nothing is guaranteed but as has been mentioned we are still missing a number of players..,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Considering the number of players we are missing, which I gather you are aware of, our last 2 results can't be judged too much. Against Kildare we lost one of more influential players to a poor black, I would suspect we would have won that game.
    League and championship are 2 totally different beasts and definitely wouldn't use one as a barometer of the game, Kerry nearly got relegated last year and yet should have beaten Dublin in an AI Semi, today Kerry are bottom of the league table. So you are telling me that Kerry should not have been in the AI semi and it they are in fact 7th best team in the country.
    Your comment re "real sport" is laughable really, whats the FA cup then out of interest, thats not a real sport either going by your logic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

More disappointed than last week, his persistence with Keane in any position and Boyle in that position have again cost us league points. We dominated the first 15 minutes but way ward shooting and some strange decision making cost us badly.
    Again we did try to comeback into it but we seem a long way off the pace. The break might do us good.
    Gallagher was immense once again, have we found a star forward! ;) , Gibbons was good again, thought AOS had a poor game. Andy M looks sluggish today.
    All in all no complaints, strange no black card today, thought he let a few go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Safe to say the excuse of fitness cant be used if we fail to best Kerry in 3 weeks. And that drivel about Connacht football is nearly a boring cliche at this stage.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Safe to say the excuse of fitness cant be used if we fail to best Kerry in 3 weeks. And that drivel about Connacht football is nearly a boring cliche at this stage.

We have to rack up the wins now from now on in. His alleged goal was to win the league and if we are to have any chance we need to win all matches now.
    His team selection has been weird though so not helping the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

One thing I found about today's game was that Tyrone didn't seem to waste any chances. I can't remember many wides from them. Every shot just seemed to go over the bar. Their forwards were on form. Especially McCurry. Looking at him in the warm-up I thought he might be dangerous.

Moran didn't have a good game at all I thought. McLoughlin played well at times, he should have got a few more scores but for some wrong decisions (and the frees obviously).

My dad made an interesting point after the game: The whole black card thing seems to favour teams with natural scorers. Something that there hasn't been an abundance of in this side recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Ideal half back line for the next game:

Keegan
    Keegan
    Keegan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Tyrone looked very strong and fluid and always seemed to make space for a player to push forward. At least we were still running at the end so that's an improvement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

In fairness Tyrone didn't have Cavanagh, McMahon (x2), Stephen O'Neill, Gormley, and Mark Donnelly in their team, who would get on any team in Ireland... Still lack someone to catch the ball though...

yop wrote: »
    Considering the number of players we are missing, which I gather you are aware of, our last 2 results can't be judged too much. Against Kildare we lost one of more influential players to a poor black, I would suspect we would have won that game.
    League and championship are 2 totally different beasts and definitely wouldn't use one as a barometer of the game, Kerry nearly got relegated last year and yet should have beaten Dublin in an AI Semi, today Kerry are bottom of the league table. So you are telling me that Kerry should not have been in the AI semi and it they are in fact 7th best team in the country.
    Your comment re "real sport" is laughable really, whats the FA cup then out of interest, thats not a real sport either going by your logic.

The FA cup is not the premier competition tho at this stage its just a sideshow. It amuses me that people get so agrieved over opinion that deviates even slightly from the norm and even get abusive(not you yop). Having the premier competion based on a lopsided skewed regional system is the thing thats laughable not a balanced mildly worded opinion expressed on an open forum.

The league is used to blood new players, the main thing is teams use it to get some competitive games under their belt.

Playing the likes of Sligo in the championship will have more intensity than playing the likes of Dublin in the league. So your post doesn't hold up at all, infact I'd say that your post is just ****e

Incorrect. The league in recent years has been an accurate indicator of Championship prospects. Every league game Mayo have played over the last 2-3 years has been more competitive than any of their connaught championship games.Try to make your point without resorting to abuse, I dont agree with your point but I respect that your entitled to it.

Incorrect. The league in recent years has been an accurate indicator of Championship prospects. Every league game Mayo have played over the last 2-3 years has been more competitive than any of their connaught championship games.Try to make your point without resorting to abuse, I dont agree with your point but I respect that your entitled to it.

The Championship is what every team in Ireland is gearing up for you. Of course teams take the league seriously but it's very much the warm-up competition. FFS Mayo are only back in training the last few weeks.
    The Castlebar lads are out because the club championship is still ongoing.
    The likes of Cillian O'Connor decided to take an operation on his shoulder and miss the league so he would be fit for the summer.
    The Mayo team that will line out for the Connacht Championship will be completely different to the one that we saw today and in Newbridge - both in terms of personnel and fitness wise. The fact you think Mayo should be judged on the league more so than the Championship makes you out to be a lunatic. What the **** are you smoking that you can't see that?

As for your last snidey comment on abuse? Haha well do me a favour and grow a set of balls. You wrote a stupid post and were rightly pulled up on it, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

As for the county team, they can still get to the SFs, they should beat Kerry and Cork at home, beat Westmeath and that might be enough, it should be enough to stay up anyway.
    Depends if Kerry get their Crokes players back while the new additions to the Cork team seem to be doing better than Mayos.

Mayo reached the semi finals the last two years with just 6,7 points. Anyone else think semi finals for a group of eight is a bit silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Depends if Kerry get their Crokes players back while the new additions to the Cork team seem to be doing better than Mayos.

Mayo reached the semi finals the last two years with just 6,7 points. Anyone else think semi finals for a group of eight is a bit silly?

I would assume that the only Crokes player coming back is Crowley, so I'm not sure how big a difference that will make.

Kerry are poor and they have to persist with experimentation so I'd expect Mayo at home to be better than them.

I'm not too sure about Cork though, but again Mayo are at home.

I totally agree that the semi's are a silly idea.
    Only two teams don't make the playoffs or get relegated.
    They have been very poorly attended for last couple of years also.

The Championship is what every team in Ireland is gearing up for you. Of course teams take the league seriously but it's very much the warm-up competition. FFS Mayo are only back in training the last few weeks.
    The Castlebar lads are out because the club championship is still ongoing.
    The likes of Cillian O'Connor decided to take an operation on his shoulder and miss the league so he would be fit for the summer.
    The Mayo team that will line out for the Connacht Championship will be completely different to the one that we saw today and in Newbridge - both in terms of personnel and fitness wise. The fact you think Mayo should be judged on the league more so than the Championship makes you out to be a lunatic. What the **** are you smoking that you can't see that?

As for your last snidey comment on abuse? Haha well do me a favour and grow a set of balls. You wrote a stupid post and were rightly pulled up on it, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

You are lacking in basic football knowledge, a trait not uncommon to the average Mayo supported.

• Advertisement

I think we should all just use common sense when it is clear that certain posters are just on here to try and get a rise out of us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement