Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ultrapercy wrote: »
    The FA cup is not the premier competition tho at this stage its just a sideshow. It amuses me that people get so agrieved over opinion that deviates even slightly from the norm and even get abusive(not you yop). Having the premier competion based on a lopsided skewed regional system is the thing thats laughable not a balanced mildly worded opinion expressed on an open forum.

So with that in mind, the league is just a side show where players decide not to play in, where players decide to get operations and where club commitments get precedence above the county and the players wont appear til the club championship is finished.
    I'm all for opinion as are plenty on here and other fora such as the Hogan stand, but when its so wide of the mark, which yours is, then its there to be diced and sliced.
    You will also note that nearly all of us on here are ardent GAA fans and/or ex players who attend most of if not all the Mayo games, so we are well placed to deemed knowledgeable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You are lacking in basic football knowledge, a trait not uncommon to the average Mayo supported.

Out of interest, what makes you more knowledgeable than an average Mayo supporter?

Also with regards the "real sport" comment, since GAA isn't a "real sport", what would you deem a "real sport"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

yop wrote: »
    So with that in mind, the league is just a side show where players decide not to play in, where players decide to get operations and where club commitments get precedence above the county and the players wont appear til the club championship is finished.
    I'm all for opinion as are plenty on here and other fora such as the Hogan stand, but when its so wide of the mark, which yours is, then its there to be diced and sliced.
    You will also note that nearly all of us on here are ardent GAA fans and/or ex players who attend most of if not all the Mayo games, so we are well placed to deemed knowledgeable.
    Wii you explain why you believe my opinion is very wide of the mark? What exactly is so wrong with my point of view? Honest question.

Wii you explain why you believe my opinion is very wide of the mark? What exactly is so wrong with my point of view? Honest question.

It has been explained twice to you already as to why it is. Using the league as a barometer of a teams true position in the country is daft as I have stated why already above.

Also this "real sport" term, can you explain that? For the 3rd time of asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭neiphin

it was very obvious the level of support running by tyrone yesterday
    many times in the second half , i saw andy moran and mickey conroy on front of me looking for someone to pass to, but no support comming up

i was in croke park last week for the dub/kerry game
    dublin ran straight at them , went for goal, it might be "just" the league, but if you cannot do it there , you cannot do it against the better teams at the business end of the championship

mcloughlin is not consistant enough taking frees on the right
    i cannot understand why the ball is not put on the ground for close in frees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I would assume that the only Crokes player coming back is Crowley, so I'm not sure how big a difference that will make.

Kerry are poor and they have to persist with experimentation so I'd expect Mayo at home to be better than them.

I'm not too sure about Cork though, but again Mayo are at home.

I totally agree that the semi's are a silly idea.
    Only two teams don't make the playoffs or get relegated.
    They have been very poorly attended for last couple of years also.

Crowley plays for Laune Rangers, has been playing for Kerry all season.

Crokes players who will come in whenever they finish up will be Fionn Fitzgerald, Johnny Buckley and Daithi Casey. Brian Looney might get a look in but I suspect not. Fitzgerald is an automatic first choice, Buckley will rotate with Moran, Maher and Sheehan whenever he's back fit.

and the gouch

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »
    Crowley plays for Laune Rangers, has been playing for Kerry all season.

Crokes players who will come in whenever they finish up will be Fionn Fitzgerald, Johnny Buckley and Daithi Casey. Brian Looney might get a look in but I suspect not. Fitzgerald is an automatic first choice, Buckley will rotate with Moran, Maher and Sheehan whenever he's back fit.

Sorry got Buckley and Crowley mixed up, and forgot Fitzgerald.

neiphin wrote: »
    and the gouch

The talk is that Gooch is likely to be rested for the whole league, regardless of the Crokes outcome

The talk is that Gooch is likely to be rested for the whole league, regardless of the Crokes outcome

Yeah he won't play any league.

I've seen some talk about Kerry going backwards which I thought was pretty strange. We had a better squad to pick from starting the league last year and were being destroyed by Dublin, Mayo et al. This season has been an enormous improvement from the fringe players.

I actually think Mayo are going to struggle this year. I think their success last season was built around total commitment from the panel which is going to be very difficult to replicate. Even if they do replicate it I don't think they have much if any improving to do.

Do Mayo fans think last season was 80%, 90% etc of this squad's potential? I would think myself that they played to the peak of their potential.

• Advertisement

I've seen some talk about Kerry going backwards which I thought was pretty strange. We had a better squad to pick from starting the league last year and were being destroyed by Dublin, Mayo et al. This season has been an enormous improvement from the fringe players.

I actually think Mayo are going to struggle this year. I think their success last season was built around total commitment from the panel which is going to be very difficult to replicate. Even if they do replicate it I don't think they have much if any improving to do.

Do Mayo fans think last season was 80%, 90% etc of this squad's potential? I would think myself that they played to the peak of their potential.

For the Galway and Donegal games I think we were at peak, without COC and Moran not 100% fit I can't say we were at 100% in the final, but then again I can't remember for a full 70 minutes in any AI that I have attended where we can say hand on heart we have played for the full 70.

I agree with you analysis of Mayo to a certain extent
    I have been saying since mid 2013 that Mayo would struggle in 2014 to up the work rate and make the improvements that they did in in 2011 to 2012 and 2012 to 2013.

After getting to two finals on the trot it would take a monumental effort both physical and mental to go to the well for a 3rd successive year.

But the optimist in me tells me that in 2013 they were missing vital players like Conroy, Barry Moran, Jason Doherty and Cillian O’ Connor was not 100%.
    So if they have a fit squad, and seeing as the 2014 football season is not stacked with contenders, they may just have a chance to get back to the final, and hopefully win it.

But like Donegal and Dublin in previous years their league and provincial championship displays will be a good guide to where they are at.
    If they struggle to stay in Div 1, or even get relegated, and do not win Connaught with the same style as they did in 2013, then they will be semi-finalists at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭GBXI

I think Kerry are very under-rated actually. People saying they have nothing coming through - but O'Donoghue is arguably the best young forward in the country and compliments the likes of Gooch and Walsh very well.

Then you have David Moran and Buckley at mid-field, Fitzgerald in the backs, and then all the other stars that they have. I think they'll be very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

First thing Mayo need to improve is how well protected the square is. The goals per game conceded against top teams in 2012/13/14 across both league n championship is too high How to achieve that is likely more than one solution
    There is still need for one more forward with Adam Gallagher, too much on his shoulders right now Regan will have to be looked at again Maybe it is an injury mgmt reason but if he is scoring heavy for u21s and he is stronger physically should he not at least be conditioned to standard of defending in Div1 with bench appearances? We have several forwards in mid late 20s whose improvement has stalled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think if Mayo are relegated, you can forget about an All-Ireland challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

First thing Mayo need to improve is how well protected the square is. The goals per game conceded against top teams in 2012/13/14 across both league n championship is too high How to achieve that is likely more than one solution
    There is still need for one more forward with Adam Gallagher, too much on his shoulders right now Regan will have to be looked at again Maybe it is an injury mgmt reason but if he is scoring heavy for u21s and he is stronger physically should he not at least be conditioned to standard of defending in Div1 with bench appearances? We have several forwards in mid late 20s whose improvement has stalled

Regan was dropped last year and apparently is still not happy about it. It might be a while yet before he plays for us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Barlett wrote: »
    I think if Mayo are relegated, you can forget about an All-Ireland challenge

Realistically yes but as long as we keep the progression going (which is crazy statement considering the unbelievable last 3 years under Horan) and somehow blood a forward or two to add more dimension to the forwards, we should still be on for another semi final. I'd expect Mayo to be plucky enough to still remain in contention this year. Confidence took a big blow last year but we're still among the best 2/3 in the country and will be for few years yet imo.

GBXI wrote: »
    I think Kerry are very under-rated actually. People saying they have nothing coming through - but O'Donoghue is arguably the best young forward in the country and compliments the likes of Gooch and Walsh very well.

Then you have David Moran and Buckley at mid-field, Fitzgerald in the backs, and then all the other stars that they have. I think they'll be very competitive.

I tend to agree actually. People talk about the decline and change of the guard etc but I tend to think they've largely already gone through it. 2011/12 was ironically our low ebb and we could have had an All Ireland out of those two years.

Last year we went very much with youth, looking at the semi-final with Griffin, Crowley and Fitzgerald all in there and all will continue to play and improve. Buckley and Maher in midfield, although this is still something of an area of concern, are young.

O'Donoghue brings a lot of pace to the forward line and if the season pans out the way you'd expect you'll have a forward line of Walsh, Gooch, An Other, Darran, Declan and James which is pretty potent. The AN Other is up in the air but there are decent options amongst the young players for a workhorse if nothing else.

Anyway, that's probably too much Kerry talk in here already but you've only yourself to blame :pac:

Is Gallagher a scoring forward or a playmaker type? Haven't seen much of him yet unfortunately but sounds like he's showing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I tend to agree actually. People talk about the decline and change of the guard etc but I tend to think they've largely already gone through it. 2011/12 was ironically our low ebb and we could have had an All Ireland out of those two years.

Last year we went very much with youth, looking at the semi-final with Griffin, Crowley and Fitzgerald all in there and all will continue to play and improve. Buckley and Maher in midfield, although this is still something of an area of concern, are young.

O'Donoghue brings a lot of pace to the forward line and if the season pans out the way you'd expect you'll have a forward line of Walsh, Gooch, An Other, Darran, Declan and James which is pretty potent. The AN Other is up in the air but there are decent options amongst the young players for a workhorse if nothing else.

Anyway, that's probably too much Kerry talk in here already but you've only yourself to blame :pac:

Is Gallagher a scoring forward or a playmaker type? Haven't seen much of him yet unfortunately but sounds like he's showing well.
    Gallagher so far is showing as free scoring from play, can pass well and is athletic He was well noted as being like that since minor days Has decent height n size and already looks nailed on for half forward spot for this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

While on the topic of bringing in new forwards it will be interesting to see how Tom King fares in the league when Horan brings him in. There was an article in the Sunday Independent, available here if anyone missed it: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/king-living-new-dreams-29992640.html

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Realistically yes but as long as we keep the progression going (which is crazy statement considering the unbelievable last 3 years under Horan) and somehow blood a forward or two to add more dimension to the forwards, we should still be on for another semi final. I'd expect Mayo to be plucky enough to still remain in contention this year. Confidence took a big blow last year but we're still among the best 2/3 in the country and will be for few years yet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

While on the topic of bringing in new forwards it will be interesting to see how Tom King fares in the league when Horan brings him in. There was an article in the Sunday Independent, available here if anyone missed it: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/king-living-new-dreams-29992640.html

Some commitment the lad has. Fair ****s to him! Hopefully he'll persist with the GAA now as he's had a great year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

i have to agree with yop said about mayo going to struggle this yr.three yrs on the go is a lot to ask with 100% commitment from each player, how much can he get out of them that he dident get last yr thats what i keep thinking.
    you can say that we need a star forward,a new player here a new player there.what the players need is a break from it if you ask me.
    there is only some many times that you can go to the well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

That was always my fear about last year lads, I always felt it was all in poker. I have noticed something in the last two games and the FBD that hasn't been present in a while, fatigue. It's more mental than physical also and that it not something Donie or James can fix so easily.
    I really hope that the new lads like Drake and Gallagher along with yet to return players like Moran can reinvigorate the team but it will be a big ask. Our fullback line has got absolutely roasted the last two games.
    I am the eternal Mayo optimist but I am worried this year. Div 1 and a Connacht are my ambitions at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Personally, I would bite your hand off if offered Division 1 status for next year.

Get everyone available and fit for summer, I still think AI Semi is achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Rawhead wrote: »
    I am the eternal Mayo optimist.
    +1 :D I live in hope ;) no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Have we appointed a 2nd selector yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »
    is it not the goal keeping coach thatwas there last yr,cant think of his name for the life of me

irishgeo wrote: »

Buckley is doing both the coaching and selector role along with Peter Burke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It was worth trying but most of the experimental stuff hasn't worked out for Horan in the opening two games. Once the league re-starts i expect Mayo to kick on and possibly reach the semi finals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement