Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It would be ironic if (and it's a huge if) Mayo actually won it all this year and there was no Mortimer on the team.
    Between Kenith, Trevor and Conor they are possibly the 'loseingest' family in all of Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

TonyStark wrote: »

It was in response to a reporter putting it to him "that some supporters in Mayo believe that they will never land a national title as long as he is in the side". People love to remove quotes from their context.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It would be ironic if (and it's a huge if) Mayo actually won it all this year and there was no Mortimer on the team.
    Between Kenith, Trevor and Conor they are possibly the 'loseingest' family in all of Irish sport.

What's your family won lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Mortimer is a loss to the team, no doubt about that. You can't lose a teams top scorer and consider this as having no harm to the team. Sure Mort may not have the best attitude, but he does enough to keep defenders busy. I fear we're going to miss the firepower there as teams concentrate their defences elsewhere.

Freeman really needs to find his scoring boots now, same with Doherty in championship games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

keane2097 wrote: »

ouch :D

the post did remind me of the retirement of Alec Stewart, the english cricket player. the uk press gave a lot of coverage of his career, all the stuff you would expect.

the Australian press referred to him instead as "Englands most defeated cricketer"

anyway, i am sure mortimer will return, managment and cb have said the door is open. his family, though, seem miffed

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mortimer-family-horan-destroyed-conors-confidence-200665.html
    Mortimer family: Horan destroyed Conor’s confidence
    By Terry Reilly
    Friday, July 13, 2012
    The family of former Mayo player Conor Mortimer released a stinging criticism of county manager James Horan last night.
    The all-time leading scorer in Mayo history, just one game shy of his 100th appearance for the county, quit the team on Tuesday after not being named in the starting team for the Connacht final against Sligo.

James Horan told the Irish Examiner the door would always be open for players showing good club form, but all hopes of that would appear to be shattered following a family statement, which was read out on Midwest Radio’s Sports Talkshop last night, accusing the manager of destroying their sibling’s confidence.

"Conor lived for Mayo football all his life," the statement read.

"He began his inter-county career in the Ted Webb Competition and suffered numerous injuries over the years. Both of his brothers, Kenneth and Trevor, played for the county also and suffered injuries, like Conor over the years. They are 100% behind his decision.

"The family feel that Conor, Kenneth and Trevor owe nothing to Mayo football. Conor is a colourful character and made many friends and some enemies over the years while playing.

"Conor was out of football for 12 months last year with a knee injury. The manager James Horan never contacted him to see how he was coming along.

"When he returned to football, he was playing super football for his club Shrule/Glencorrib. James Horan was notified of a game he would be playing in, but did not attend.

"The family feel that Conor wasn’t wanted in the team. He says that every time Conor was dropped James Horan told him he had a new plan, in that he had found two goal-scoring forwards. However, the Mortimer family feel that plan has not materialised.

"Conor was playing well in A v B games in training of late and two former Mayo managers saw him and can’t understand why he wasn’t picked.

"He scored 0-8 against Dublin in the league in Castlebar and was man of the match in that game, which was well deserved. He was dropped two weeks later for the Kerry game and only played for 10-15 minutes of it.

"He was dropped again from the starting 15 for the Leitrim game because of this plan referred to by the manager. He is currently fourth choice as a corner forward and it has destroyed his confidence.

"He wasn’t happy with the way football was being played in the Mayo camp."

The family also accused Horan of ignoring their club and believed Conor had at least another three years left in him at inter-county level.

"When the previous manager was in charge, there were four Shrule/Glencorrib players on the panel. Now there are none.

"Mark Ronaldson was another example from last season – he was playing well and was dropped from the panel.

"In the last seven or eight Connacht finals that Mayo were involved in, Conor was top scorer in six of them. He is the all-time leading scorer in Mayo. He feels he has another three years of top-level football in him, but has made his decision and his family are behind him.

"Football was his life and he was never found wanting. He always made himself available to the media, but now all he wants is his privacy and integrity protected.

"His family are extremely happy with his achievements and are very proud of him and have always been 100% behind him and remain so."

The timing of the statement, two days before a Connacht final against Sligo, is likely to have massive repercussions within the county.

The fact that Conor’s brothers Kenneth and Trevor — who both captained Mayo in the past — were attributed with the statement will add to the intrigue in the coming days.

Such a bonehead move releasing that statement on the family's part. They never seemed like the brightest I suppose.

keane2097 wrote: »

I'll re-phrase it

They are a family that have a large proportion of national level runners up medals compared to national level winners medals

I'll re-phrase it

They are a family that have a large proportion of national level runners up medals compared to national level winners medals

Still sounds fairly pathetic even when you put it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I'll re-phrase it

Same thing can be said for every Mayo footballer of the last god knows how many years, whats your point??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'll re-phrase it

To be fair, they gave a hell of a lot to Mayo GAA. Kenneth pretty much revolutionised the way the corner back position was played and Trevor always turned up on big occasions which is a lot more than can be said for a few lads. And I'm not even that big of fans of them - for their personality more than anything else.

That statement by the Mortimer's is pretty damn cringeworthy though. It's the equivalent of someone standing up at a clubs AGM and ranting "my son should be playing, he's better than the others" etc etc.

The long and short of it is Conor, the team and winning games is more important than your ego. I've seen lads, probably not as talented as Conor, work their bollocks off every week at Mayo training and excel in training games and still get bugger all game time. But they're willing to put it in year in, year out because the chance will come at some stage. If everyone had the same idea as Mortimer then we'd have the bare 15 and a couple of others. It's a 30 man panel.

Granted that Mortimer feels he's better than Varley, Freeman and Doherty but in Horan's first year we won a Connaught title and reached an All-Ireland semi-final with those lads. Mortimer has been back on the panel for 6-7 months and he's throwing in the towel already.

Also the line about not having any Shrule players is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Kamikaze decision by Mayo who would be my second team after Dublin due to family. James Horan has done a magnificient job with Mayo, especially their backs and how they tackle. Maybe it was an attitude problem that Horan saw in him that caused him to drop him and Mortimor took his ball and went home after a couple of games of being on the sideline.

I think the family statement though is ridiculous. They seem to think it is a bias against Shrule Glencorrib also but Mortimor now plays for Parnells in Dublin which should surely disprove such discrimination.

To be fair, they gave a hell of a lot to Mayo GAA. Kenneth pretty much revolutionised the way the corner back position was played and Trevor always turned up on big occasions which is a lot more than can be said for a few lads. And I'm not even that big of fans of them - for their personality more than anything else.

That statement by the Mortimer's is pretty damn cringeworthy though. It's the equivalent of someone standing up at a clubs AGM and ranting "my son should be playing, he's better than the others" etc etc.

The long and short of it is Conor, the team and winning games is more important than your ego. I've seen lads, probably not as talented as Conor, work their bollocks off every week at Mayo training and excel in training games and still get bugger all game time. But they're willing to put it in year in, year out because the chance will come at some stage. If everyone had the same idea as Mortimer then we'd have the bare 15 and a couple of others. It's a 30 man panel.

Granted that Mortimer feels he's better than Varley, Freeman and Doherty but in Horan's first year we won a Connaught title and reached an All-Ireland semi-final with those lads. Mortimer has been back on the panel for 6-7 months and he's throwing in the towel already.

Also the line about not having any Shrule players is pathetic.

I.m certainly not disrespecting what the Mortimer have given to Mayo football over the years, I am grateful for their contribution as any Mayo fan.

I'm just pointing out that after 16 years and 4 All Ireland final losses it would be ironic, if there were to be no Mortimer involved IF Mayo won the All Ireland in 2012.
    If any family deserve to have an All Ireland medal in the house it's them after all the runners up medals.

And I agree that the statement is cringeworthy.

I think the manager needs to be given the opportunity to implement his plan.
    Going for two Connaught titles in a row for the first time since 96/97 is a far cry from losing to Longford in June.
    If Mayo do not improve this year then certainly the Mortimers may have a gripe about why Conor was not picked.
    It's easy to sit back and tell the manager what he should and should not be doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

blackbelt wrote: »
    Kamikaze decision by Mayo who would be my second team after Dublin due to family. James Horan has done a magnificient job with Mayo, especially their backs and how they tackle. Maybe it was an attitude problem that Horan saw in him that caused him to drop him and Mortimor took his ball and went home after a couple of games of being on the sideline.

I think the family statement though is ridiculous. They seem to think it is a bias against Shrule Glencorrib also but Mortimor now plays for Parnells in Dublin which should surely disprove such discrimination.

I think that the family used the Shrule lads to bolster their argument more than anything which is especially cringeworthy. If the welfare of Shrule is a Mortimer family concern then why let Kenneth leave Shrule all those years ago to go down the road to play for Claremorris (notwithstanding the sweetener he received to do so)? Or allow Conor to leave these lads and go play in Dublin?

As a Mayoman i find all this embarrassing and symptomatic of why we win bugger all. Too many lads in our county think they are premier league footballers the moment they make the Mayo squad. "Releasing statements" - who do these people think they are? Mort has zero All-Irelands in a county with no all-irelands since 1951. Needs to realise no one in the real world gives a crap about why he left or his thoughts on things. If he's not there he's irrelevant. Lets move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I think that the family used the Shrule lads to bolster their argument more than anything which is especially cringeworthy. If the welfare of Shrule is a Mortimer family concern then why let Kenneth leave Shrule all those years ago to go down the road to play for Claremorris (notwithstanding the sweetener he received to do so)? Or allow Conor to leave these lads and go play in Dublin?

As a Mayoman i find all this embarrassing and symptomatic of why we win bugger all. Too many lads in our county think they are premier league footballers the moment they make the Mayo squad. "Releasing statements" - who do these people think they are? Mort has zero All-Irelands in a county with no all-irelands since 1951. Needs to realise no one in the real world gives a crap about why he left or his thoughts on things. If he's not there he's irrelevant. Lets move on

I agree, any other player would have waited until the match was over before making their intentions known but not the Mort, the man had to make a proper exit and now the whole county is on about him. I think the players will be bemused more than anything else but it's still a distraction that could be done without.

In fairness to the Mortimers they have a nice share of All-Stars between them but the amount of All-Irelands they have lost on all levels easily goes into double figures. As for an anti-shrule bias? :D

I agree, any other player would have waited until the match was over before making their intentions known but not the Mort, the man had to make a proper exit and now the whole county is on about him. I think the players will be bemused more than anything else but it's still a distraction that could be done without.

In fairness to the Mortimers they have a nice share of All-Stars between them but the amount of All-Irelands they have lost on all levels easily goes into double figures. As for an anti-shrule bias? :D

No anti-Shrule bias here i promise, a small club packed with good footballers.

I know Mort. I also know that this wont be a hammer-blow to the squad. He isnt the easiest to get on with and can be a bully to some quieter younger members of squads.

When Mort was 15 i'd defy anyone to show me a better player at that age at that time. he was unreal. He never delivered on that promise regardless of being Mayo's Top Scorer, All-Star in 2006 etc. He never really did it when it counted and i'm talking about the Minor Semi and Final in 2000, All-Ireland U-21 Final in 2001, 2004 and 2006 All-Irelands etc. Those are the hard facts

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

He was savage for jarleths but his head got too big for his boots not long after, we will take him off Ye, would make up for the balla fellas Ye ste:)aled from us

He was savage for jarleths but his head got too big for his boots not long after, we will take him off Ye, would make up for the balla fellas Ye ste:)aled from us

Sure if ye took him Tom his head would explode given all the overhyping the Rossies tend to do when they find a forward that can kick a ball straight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

very well said Brain when i heard that they released a statement i though no wonder mortimer is so full of himself if this is what his famaily think.
    they must think they are the dogs boll1ox when is comes to mayo football,well when we win on sunday(we better win after all this sh1te or w will never heard the end of it) ill be glad that he doesent have a medal but i will say he will be out on the beer with all the rest of the team afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

naughto wrote: »
    very well said Brain when i heard that they released a statement i though no wonder mortimer is so full of himself if this is what his famaily think.
    they must think they are the dogs boll1ox when is comes to mayo football,well when we win on sunday(we better win after all this sh1te or w will never heard the end of it) ill be glad that he doesent have a medal but i will say he will be out on the beer with all the rest of the team afterwards.

We're in another "damned if we do and damned if we don't" scenario on Sunday. If we lose, it will be all about Mortimer. If we don't bury Sligo entirely, which I couldn't see happening anyways, it will be still "could we have done better with Mortimer".

To be fair to Mortimer himself, He appears to have said: “Mayo football is bigger than any player always has and always will be so can people just concentrate on getting behind the team for the game on Sunday. I have even as a player always been a huge supporter and will be again this weekend.”

Might be damage limitation, that Family statement is quite cringeworthy all the same.

Shame to lose our top scorer, I hope the rest can step up now and prove that his omissions were appropriate. They have it in them to do that, as long as they all turn up on the day.

• Advertisement

I think we will win on Sunday. This squad that Horan has put together, while not in the top 3/4, are definitely just outside it. I liked the attitude shown by the younger players last year and guys like Andy Moran have really stood up and taken the leadership role. There seems to be a togetherness there so i am optimistic that we could make the All-Ireland semis again this year. I havent been hugely impressed with anyone bar Cork and Donegal and i feel both of them are even beatable given the right conditions.

All in all much to be positive about. We play good football and are going in the right direction.

With regard to Mort, given his ego, it was always going to end this way. Making it as painless as possible is Horan's task and one i feel he is able for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Looking from the outside,I think if any sentance sums up 'the Mort' and ( judging by the recent statment to the nation) the Mortimer familys overall attitude, it's all about him (them?) as individuals and not about the team or how they fit in to a bigger scheme. The 'statement' is an embarrasment and I surely would have thought there was 1 person in a family that has ran their own business that would have been smart enough to see how cringeworthy it is (horrid craic to look at from the outside though). The retirement and statement IMO is designed to pile as much pressure on Horan and the newer Mayo corner forwards as possible.

I've always got the impresson that Horan didn't fancy him as a player, be that right or wrong. Mayo have failed at the highest level with 'the Mort' as the star man, and to paraphrase Einstien's famous quote about insanity, would you really fancy managing a Mayo team in an AI semi final or final built aroung Conereen. It hasn't worked in the past so they have to look somewhere else long term.

For the record, i fancy mayo to win on Sunday by about 4. They have a tougher streak in them under Horan and (win or lose Sunday) will be in or very near the semi finals again this year.

The team will be taking nothing for granted, Mayo have seen what they can do against Galway. If the backs can play to their potential and hold the fort (save for a few Keith Higgins super-runs!) then we should just about have enough firepower up front to ease us past. I can see Aidan O'Shea coming in for Danny Geraghty at some stage. The bench has certainly been weakened with Mort's departure but Horan will just have to time his subs carefully.

Looking from the outside,I think if any sentance sums up 'the Mort' and ( judging by the recent statment to the nation) the Mortimer familys overall attitude, it's all about him (them?) as individuals and not about the team or how they fit in to a bigger scheme. The 'statement' is an embarrasment and I surely would have thought there was 1 person in a family that has ran their own business that would have been smart enough to see how cringeworthy it is (horrid craic to look at from the outside though). The retirement and statement IMO is designed to pile as much pressure on Horan and the newer Mayo corner forwards as possible.

I've always got the impresson that Horan didn't fancy him as a player, be that right or wrong. Mayo have failed at the highest level with 'the Mort' as the star man, and to paraphrase Einstien's famous quote about insanity, would you really fancy managing a Mayo team in an AI semi final or final built aroung Conereen. It hasn't worked in the past so they have to look somewhere else long term.

For the record, i fancy mayo to win on Sunday by about 4. They have a tougher streak in them under Horan and (win or lose Sunday) will be in or very near the semi finals again this year.

I know I've said almost as much a while ago but even leaving Mort's departure aside there was absolutely no need for any such 'statement' from the family. It looks vindictive and as you said can only have been intended to put pressure on Horan. We don't need that kind of nonsense this close to the Connacht final of all days. Not only is the whole county on about him but papers and radio stations up and down the whole country are analysing and speculating as to the causes and the effects of the whole affair. John Maughan has said it was obvious Mort was unhappy for some time and that the management team should have pre-empted this and made clear what his role in the team was early on, but presumably Horan didn't think it would blow up in this fashion.

If Mayo can come away with a victory on Sunday Horan will have re-asserted his authority with the team and will be stronger going forward. The players have it all to prove they can do without the Mort. Maybe this could be a blessing in disguise!

In Mort's defence at least he has tried to put the focus back on the team but long-term I think he will come to regret this. Inter-county football careers don't last that long and it will be tough for him to get back into it should he wish to. How will he feel if Mayo go all the way this year?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have to say as an ex underage Mayo player and someone who with my Dad and his mate never miss a Mayo match this is turning into something that is incredibly embarrassing.
    As with MANY Mayo fans we eat and drink our football and the pride of getting to pull on a Mayo jersey will stay with me to the grave, but this really was a bad situation turned into an embarrassing one with "the family" releasing a statement.
    At the end of the day Conor Mortimer has gone down in history as turning his back on the Mayo panel days before a final, one of the most unprofessional and selfish things to do. He won't be remembered as been the counties top scorer but who has thrown his toys out of his pram and then wheeled his parents out to throw them further.

If this is what we are leaving behind with the Mortimers, then I think we can live with it. They aren't the Royal family, just seemingly a family with a serious big head and a grudge to add to it now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Meanwhile, somewhere in heaven Michael Jackson is wearing a 'Bring Back Mortimer T-Shirt'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

the fry is on the tea is made ah yes u cannot beat a connaught final cmon mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Tight enough there for Mayo.

We have a lot of improving to do if we are to make much progress.

But a wins a win and we have retained the Connaught Title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Very wasteful up front, Varley and Doherty did not do well. Backs performed under the high ball in the first half. The two Morans were good, O'Shea made a big difference when he came on.

Not a great game to watch but job done. Now on to Croker. Can only improve after shooting 13 wides today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Meanwhile, somewhere in heaven Michael Jackson is wearing a 'Bring Back Mortimer T-Shirt'.......

saw a photoshop of that somewehere recenty but juts cant find it now. Anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement