Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Hopefully there is a good crowd on Sunday and especially the weather is dryer than last year!

Stand tickets have sold out and with my wonderful Rossies playing in a home Minor final you can expect a very tidy crowd on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Syferus wrote: »
    Stand tickets have sold out and with my wonderful Rossies playing in home Minor final you can expect a very tidy crowd on Sunday.

Connacht GAA are expecting a crowd of 20,000 good weather may bring more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Team Named

Mayo (SF v Sligo): David Clarke; Kevin Keane, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins; Lee Keegan, Donal Vaughan, Colm Boyle; Barry Moran, Danny Geraghty; Kevin McLoughlin, Cillian O'Connor, Alan Dillon; Enda Varley, Andy Moran (capt), Jason Doherty.

Varley in for Freeman
    No O' Shea's, Sheamus out injured, I assume Aidan will be on the bench.

As I said a few weeks ago I would prefer to see Andy Moran play in the half forward line with Killian O' Conor at full forward, but what do I know.

Interesting to see how the midfield will do against some stiffer opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

I heard there Mortimer has supposedly left the panel after not being called up. Only rumour though

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Barlett wrote: »
    I heard there Mortimer has supposedly left the panel after not being called up. Only rumour though
    Yeah he's gone alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Barlett wrote: »

Was on Newstalk sportsnews at 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/2012/0711/1224319850979.html

It says in the piece he is 28 although I'm certain he's 30???

Anyway what do ye reckon? Still think he's a better player than Varley/Freeman/Doherty and is still as good as anyone to take a score. A loss in my eyes although his attitude and workrate are suspect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Coill Dubh have a new hurler ;)

Mortimer is certainly a loss in a team which IMO is lacking big game experience amoung other things in the forwards.
    For me Doherty has yet to prove himself and I'm no fan of the Conroy reclamation project.

He's a massive loss, did more than Doherty or Freeman in the few minutes he played against Leitrim. It doesn't bode well for Mayo, what will we do if O'Connor gets injured? No free taker

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If he is not willing to knuckle down and fight for his place and keep his head up if he is not in the starting 15 then Mayo are better off without him.

He has goos aspects to his game and he has bad aspects. He certainly is no Ciaran McDonald/Padraic Joyce in their prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

blinding wrote: »
    If he is not willing to knuckle down and fight for his place and keep his head up if he is not in the starting 15 then Mayo are better off without him.

I would agree with this. I heard John Maughan suggesting that he should have been in the team and seemed to think it was a reasonable decision to leave when he had'nt been selected. I couldnt believe that a former manager would take that line. Mortimer has betrayed his team mates in this action and should be called up for exactly that. It is a matter of respect for ones team mates that this should not happen. They are better off without a player who does not understand that there is no 'I' in team.

I would agree with this. I heard John Maughan suggesting that he should have been in the team and seemed to think it was a reasonable decision to leave when he had'nt been selected. I couldnt believe that a former manager would take that line. Mortimer has betrayed his team mates in this action and should be called up for exactly that. It is a matter of respect for ones team mates that this should not happen. They are better off without a player who does not understand that there is no 'I' in team.

Has been a good servant, if he feels that he is training his ass off and should be in the team (which most agree he should) then I've no real problem with him leaving tbh. He obviously feels that inferior players have been selected ahead of him and there is nothing more frustrating tbh when you know you can give so much to the team but instead are left sitting on the bench.

He manages a gym now I believe and obviously has a lot of commitments there. he is not being payed to play for his county and if he wants to leave so be it. I wouldn't be his greatest fan but would have no problem with it. The problem is I believe many players in the near future may well make similar decisions

Edit- According to his twitter anyway there is more to it than just quitting cos he's not in the team. Who knows

I see Hennelly is gone too, what is the sthere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Rob has work commitments in Dublin

RTE reported it very badly putting Hennelly in with the Mort story.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15628:hennelly-leaves-mayo-senior-panel&catid=14&Itemid=100008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

In regard to mortimer, its never a good sign to see a guy leave his home club. I think he was always a big time player for the small day and when the push came to shove he was always found wanting. On the biggest days for Mayo, defenders had him in their pocket. I think Mayo are a better side without him and I am not overly disappointed. There just is too much BS with this guy. Same with that other clown from Cavan going to Kildare. Mortimer will join the dubs now... just wait and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Think he def will be a loss whatever the circumstances are.
    It's only Mayo's 2nd outing this summer so it seems a little hasty on his part as there is potentially alot of football left this summer for the team.
    It seemed this year that we had more options than usual with regard to forwards but this is now somewhat diminished.
    Never a big fan of his but he seemed to have matured alot as a player this season but given his actions maybe not so much as a person.

In regard to mortimer, its never a good sign to see a guy leave his home club. I think he was always a big time player for the small day and when the push came to shove he was always found wanting. On the biggest days for Mayo, defenders had him in their pocket. I think Mayo are a better side without him and I am not overly disappointed. There just is too much BS with this guy. Same with that other clown from Cavan going to Kildare. Mortimer will join the dubs now... just wait and see....

Ah now he has been studying in Dublin for years, and runs a gym up there and lives there full time. Has every right to join a club up there. Brian maloney, Austin O'Malley, Gary Mullins and Kevin O'Neill did similar sure from Mayo alone. His own brother joined another Mayo club that is a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

blinding wrote: »

He has goos aspects to his game and he has bad aspects. He certainly is no Ciaran McDonald/Padraic Joyce in their prime.

you are right and he prob got pissed off coming down for training and not getting his place.he has done well for mayo but his ego is bigger than that blond head of his you do not need that crap on the pitch.
    if he was good enough he would be making the team. some one posted that he said that there was more to it on his twitter account why does he not tell us then??
    i would have him on the bench as he would be agreat sub but i would not start him,we will just have to see how we fair with out him on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Rob has work commitments in Dublin

RTE reported it very badly putting Hennelly in with the Mort story.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15628:hennelly-leaves-mayo-senior-panel&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Mortimor has work commitments in Dublin as well :confused:

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »

I think he just assumed because of the hair that Mort was a homeless busker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote: »
    Thats not what I meant.

RTE said this:
    Mortimer is the second Mayo player to leave the panel this week after goalkeeper Rob Hennelly also took the decision to make himself unavailable for selection.

Which makes it look like there is a revolt among players.

Also you are stone mad if you think that Mortimer left the panel because of work reasons.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Thats not what I meant.

RTE said this:

Which makes it look like there is a revolt among players.

Also you are stone mad if you think that Mortimer left the panel because of work reasons.

And you're stone mad to think Hennelly did.

And you're stone mad to think Hennelly did.

Very true. Hennelly hasn't finished his studies yet in DCU he has to go back in January so it's unlikely he left the panel for work reasons alone

Regardless of what happened it looks bad from a Mayo point of view...and is a major distraction ahead of Sunday's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Stand tickets have sold out and with my wonderful Rossies playing in a home Minor final you can expect a very tidy crowd on Sunday.

Will they be selling tickets for the terrace on Sunday outside the Hyde?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I think it will be competitive enough but the 4 point handicap set down by the bookies seems fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Mortimer will join the dubs now... just wait and see....

:pac::pac: no chance, we wouldn't want him, sure he can't even make the Mayo team :D:D

Kildare might be interested tho

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A little hissy been thrown by Mortimer and I am not surprised really, goes to show his true colors. Of course he a has a massive and the best scoring record for Mayo but this shows an utter lack of respect to his county and his team mates who are 4 days away from a Connacht final.
    He is worth a couple of scores a game and thats without a doubt, but time and time again he hasn't stepped up in the big matches.

Any man who makes the statement that "Mayo will win nothing without me" won't be missed.

Best to luck to him in his "work commitments" (also know as a Seanie Johnston).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Any man who makes the statement that "Mayo will win nothing without me" won't be missed.

When did he say that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement