Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Breheny trying to out-do even his own previous efforts in terms of factual inaccuracies, lazy stereotyping and ridiculous assumptions I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Lovely lad he is, we pay him good coin to wind up the Mayo cuckoo clock. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Breheny trying to out-do even his own previous efforts in terms of factual inaccuracies, lazy stereotyping and ridiculous assumptions I see.

"The burden of history. Mayo always insist it doesn't bother them, but 61 years without an All-Ireland senior title (1951) for a county that had won four up to then must have a corrosive effect."

That's one inaccuracy what else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

"The burden of history. Mayo always insist it doesn't bother them, but 61 years without an All-Ireland senior title (1951) for a county that had won four up to then must have a corrosive effect."

I think he's letting us have the '96 one, he's a sound man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

"Also, none of the last 10 league runners-up have won the All-Ireland."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

At last Mayo are ready to enter this years championship.

The two extra league games at least narrowed a gap a bit between league and Championship

Team is named
    Mayo (SFC v Leitrim) -- D Clarke; K Keane, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; B Moran, D Geraghty; K McLoughlin, C O'Connor, A Dillon; A Freeman, A Moran, J Doherty.

Anyone know how Aidan O' Shea is doing and when he may be back ?

Interesting article here in the Independent by Breheny
    Very balanced article there.

Eugene McGee should take note for the next time he decides to write about Mayo football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

any one know where the connaught final will be??iam thinking roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    any one know where the connaught final will be??iam thinking roscommon

I believe it is already pencilled in for Castlebar.

Mayo last played Sligo was 2010 in Sligo thus it's Castlebar this time.

But don't quote me on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

Due to an agreement between the Mayo/Sligo County Boards it's due to be played at a neutral venue...in this case either Pearse Stadium or Hyde Park. Mayo have the choice although I've heard they're hoping Sligo will agree to McHale Park if they're offered a bigger slice of the gate takings

Barlett wrote: »
    Due to an agreement between the Mayo/Sligo County Boards it's due to be played at a neutral venue...in this case either Pearse Stadium or Hyde Park. Mayo have the choice although I've heard they're hoping Sligo will agree to McHale Park if they're offered a bigger slice of the gate takings

Interesting, I never knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

The reason is, Sligo's ground isn't big enough to host a Connaught final so that's why the 2010 decider between Sligo and Roscommon was played in Castlebar. Similarly when Mayo played Sligo in the 1997 final it was played at Hyde Park

i cant see sligo letting it being played in castlebar it would be great for me if it was

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In the Hyde on 15th July.

yop wrote: »
    we went there in the pi1ssing rain last year i cant see why cant do it again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    we went there in the pi1ssing rain last year i cant see why cant do it again

Prefer the sun myself :D

Hi yop,

Not that I don't believe you or anything but is there any link to that info, can not find anything on the interweb.

I'd prefer Castlebar or Galway myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hi yop,

Not that I don't believe you or anything but is there any link to that info, can not find anything on the interweb.

I'd prefer Castlebar or Galway myself :)

Surely Sligo would bring it to the Hyde? They technically have home advantage don't they?

Yop- is that confirmed?

It won't be in Castlebar that's for sure!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Surely Sligo would bring it to the Hyde? They technically have home advantage don't they?

Yop- is that confirmed?

It won't be in Castlebar that's for sure!

Well I'd certainly expect Hyde Park to be Sligo's preferred option but I am not sure they have any 'home advantage' here.

The last game between the two in June 2010 was played in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Time to give them a hyding in that case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Its Mayo's turn to pick the venue. Previous rules say they can't pick Castlebar - has to be either the Hyde or Salthill. But Salthill is a long trek for Sligo fans and there are concerns that Hyde Park is no longer of a standard capable of hosting a Connacht Final - a health and safety report from last year has limited its capacity to 18,000 - not enough for this game.

So there are stories going around that Castlebar is being reconsidered, although at this stage it could be any of the three grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Hyde just needed some minor work in the off-season; the capacity is back up again.

I'd imagine the Mayo selection board would try to play up that angle (hence the non-decision at last night's meeting) in the hopes of playing it in Castlebar but I doubt Sligo will be that easily swindled into playing in Mayo's backyard.

iam hoping that if they get a bigger slice of the gate takings like some poster said that they will,they can take all the gate taking for all i care all we want is t he cup which i expect us to get :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKennedy

it on 21st july according to coonacht gaa fixtures hered the link for it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlJ8LGc5FgzmdGFvTVpPOUtkSVduelItMmE0a2VyeEE#gid=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlJ8LGc5FgzmdGFvTVpPOUtkSVduelItMmE0a2VyeEE#gid=0

Its hardly on a Saturday?

Well that is not very reliable where ever it came from, the 21st is a Saturday too by the way.

the independent also published a fixture list a few weeks ago that put it down as the 22nd.

the official GAA website has it the 15th and Venue TBC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I hope for a good entertaining game and the more competitive the better.

Hopefully Mayo come out on Top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKennedy

dont shoot the messenger i google around and found this and yeah it cant be on saturday but hey dont forget champion league football change to saturday so why cant gaa do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

15th july in Castlebar (probably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

The 21st (Saturday) is the replay date if necessary. The Connacht final is the 15th of July (Sunday).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It clearly says on that 15th July & replay 21st of July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement