Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Syferus wrote: »
    I don't think any team will have to worry about that this year. :pac:

Agreed, they are nailed on. No-one will be beating them in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

While there is some inter-county down time now between the Connaught Final and the Quarter Final why not talk about who Mayo would like to get in the quarters

Options are
    Kerry (sorry Clare)
    Down
    Tipp
    Meath
    Laois
    Kildare

For me it would be Kerry
    Mayo really need to get the monkey off our backs and why wait until the Semi Final or Final to have to try and do it.
    Plus they need a tough game
    Another nice one would be Meath, another monkey off the back job.
    Kildare too would give them a good hard game, give them a proper idea where they are at.

Hard to know really. From a Mayo pov I'd rather Kerry in the quarters than semis/final. As well as that they will likely be coming into the quarters on the back of hammering a (with respect) very limited Clare side. They'll learn little from that game and it could be a good chance to catch them on the hop.

Think Kildare will do just enough against Sligo and it would be a nice test for Mayo to play a team on the perceived same level as themselves.

Saying that though, bar Kerry I think Mayo would definitely beat any of the others if they played to their best. People write off Mayo so much yet they've made the AI semi 12 months ago, a league final this year (beating Kerry in a semi) and are undoubtedly the best team in their province. It'll be interesting to see though who they do indeed get

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

How do people feel about the club championship this year?
    It's hard to look past Ballintubber to go all the way again. Either Breaffy or Aughamore to go down? I can't see Aughamore beating Kiltane up there nor Breaffy beating Ballina going by the way they seem to be going this year.

Senior Championship Draw:
    Garrymore v Ballaghadereen.
    Castlebar v Ballintubber,
    Crossmolina v Westport.
    Claremorris v Knockmore,

Relagation playoff:
    Kiltane v Aughamore
    Ballina v Breaffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cygnus wrote: »
    How do people feel about the club championship this year?
    It's hard to look past Ballintubber to go all the way again. Either Breaffy or Aughamore to go down? I can't see Aughamore beating Kiltane up there nor Breaffy beating Ballina going by the way they seem to be going this year.

Senior Championship Draw:
    Garrymore v Ballaghadereen.
    Castlebar v Ballintubber,
    Crossmolina v Westport.
    Claremorris v Knockmore,

Relagation playoff:
    Kiltane v Aughamore
    Ballina v Breaffy.

Is it QF1 v QF2 etc for the semi-finals? One of the two teams that contested the last two finals will be out before the semis roll around. If Ballintubber have to go through Castlebar and Ballagh/Garymore before even getting to the final I wouldn't be betting my house on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Syferus wrote: »
    Is it QF1 v QF2 etc for the semi-finals? One of the two teams that contested the last two finals will be out before the semis roll around. If Ballintubber have to go through Castlebar and Ballagh/Garymore before even getting to the final I wouldn't be betting my house on them.

The semi final draw is 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hmm, in that case Ballagh have a decent shot at the final. I'd take a stab at a Ballagh-Knockmore semi anyways. The other two QFs could go either way.

Stephenites have fell on hard times to say the least, it's only been seven years since they won the All-Ireland. It guess it really was alot of those lads' last swing of the big dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Down then,that's an interesting tie. Hoping we get to play on the Saturday, otherwise I won't be able to go

Down is potentially a dodgy tie for Mayo I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's a good tie, Kildare are too weak, Laois tend to bottle it in the quarters and Kerry would probably beat us. :pac:

Down is the ideal tie for a difficult challenge while still being a game we can expect to win if we play our best.

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's a good tie, Kildare are too weak, Laois tend to bottle it in the quarters and Kerry would probably beat us. :pac:

Down is the ideal tie for a difficult challenge while still being a game we can expect to win if we play our best.

Bit harsh on Kildare. Depends what Down turn up obviously. Wouldn't shock me see mayo beat them out the gate though either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Tough test to be expected against Down for sure. Haven't beaten them in the league last couple years. Wouldn't surprise me if goes to ET.. Hopefully we'll be on with Donegal/Kerry. That should be a great game

Down have a poor backline a lot will be expected of the Mayo FF line. Need to improve tenfold.

Corner forward (MOTM v MOnaghan), Coulter and Poland are the danger men though I'd expect the mayo backs to limit their effectiveness

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Really expect to us to come out of here by 4 or 5 points. Should have taken them in the league but for a poor performance by us.
    Bit of indiscipline in the Down team so sit on Polands head and we can handle the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Decent draw

A step from what we have seen but one Mayo should still win
    Still want the forwards to improve, good oppurtunity for them to prove all us doubters here wrong

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Saturday 4th July Mayo VS Down @ 5 PM
    Croke Park

Why have we to play at 5pm? Won't get a crowd I would suspect with a time like that in Croker.

yop wrote: »
    Croke Park

Why have we to play at 5pm? Won't get a crowd I would suspect with a time like that in Croker.

Probably to facilitate the Dubs playing at seven, to maximize the Dublin crowd, then don't care about us from the Whest

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    Croke Park

Probably to facilitate the Dubs playing at seven, to maximize the Dublin crowd, then don't care about us from the Whest
    From my POV it's a disaster. Last train leaves Dublin at 715 :( and as for getting tickets now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There'll be tickets going for this handy enough...and buses for supporters, but its still a pisser of a time for a game.

No flights that work out for me, so I'll be watching this one from elsewhere.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

km79 wrote: »
    From my POV it's a disaster. Last train leaves Dublin at 715 :( and as for getting tickets now ...

Surely a few of ye can head up in the car? The Down boys have it easy enough, bus leaves for Newry every hour

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »

Surely a few of ye can head up in the car? The Down boys have it easy enough, bus leaves for Newry every hour
    I no longer live in mayo so I like to meet up with old friends in Dublin before the games for a few pints. And my 11 year old companion can't drive :D
    It's purlely a case of suit the Dubs and f the rest

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

I think ye should all come up for a seven o clock thrown in. Let the team come out and start warming up in front of the hill at seven. Show them who's boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hooray

so will this be difficult to get tickets for? what with Dublin playing the later game?
    I just tried tickets.ie but no joy there.

hooray wrote: »
    so will this be difficult to get tickets for? what with Dublin playing the later game?
    I just tried tickets.ie but no joy there.

I'm not sure if the times etc have been officially announced yet.
    Give it till the morning to try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I'm not sure if the times etc have been officially announced yet.
    Give it till the morning to try

They have indeed, Mayo play Down at 5pm on Saturday.
    Dublin play Laois at 7pm the same day.

There is also the minor game, Mayo vs Tipp at 3pm that day.

Blackjack wrote: »
    They have indeed, Mayo play Down at 5pm on Saturday.
    Dublin play Laois at 7pm the same day.

There is also the minor game, Mayo vs Tipp at 3pm that day.

Yea I see that now actually, it's on the GAA site.

I'll hang on till the morning to see if tickets are available on tickets.ie, I'm sure they will be, good to see the minor game on first too.

One more thing about the draw, for whatever it's worth it keeps Mayo below the radar for another while.
    Had we drawn Kerry there would be loads of talk about it, but today all I am hearing about here and in the real media is a Dublin v Cork/Kerry All Ireland final

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yea I see that now actually, it's on the GAA site.

I'll hang on till the morning to see if tickets are available on tickets.ie, I'm sure they will be, good to see the minor game on first too.

One more thing about the draw, for whatever it's worth it keeps Mayo below the radar for another while.
    Had we drawn Kerry there would be loads of talk about it, but today all I am hearing about here and in the real media is a Dublin v Cork/Kerry All Ireland final

Yep, best it stays that way and that there is no hype either.

I'd have loved a double header with the Donegal v Kerry game. More exciting than Dublin v Laois!

Ticket Prices:
    Stand €30
    Terrace €20
    Juvenile Stand €5
    Student Stand €20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Cygnus wrote: »
    I'd have loved a double header with the Donegal v Kerry game. More exciting than Dublin v Laois!

Ticket Prices:
    Stand €30
    Terrace €20
    Juvenile Stand €5
    Student Stand €20

Are those prices confirmed?

Are those prices confirmed?

Yeah the full list is on the Mayo GAA facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Prices represent fantastic value, particularly for students and children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement