Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Gives opinion of scotish people
    Seemingly it gives the opinion of a minority of the Scottish people.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 43V4 numb3R5

Hmm... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1669_Act_for_annexation_of_Orkney_and_Shetland_to_the_Crown
    The Act made Orkney and Shetland exempt from any "dissolution of His Majesty’s lands".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Scottish independence wouldn't stop the Queen being Queen. She's just be Queen of Scotland in addition to the UK.

Also, under the British (unwritten) constitution no parliament can bind it's successor. So Westminster could get rid of the Scottish parliament, NI assembly etc (just like it did with the GLC in the 80s) also doing so would be very unlikely. It could also revoke Irish independence although that would obviously have no effect (apart from antagonising Irish people and throwing up a legal mess).

In the event if Scottisg independence this law would be repealed (if it is even still in force now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

cmore123 wrote: »
    Secondly, if other EU countries could potentially block this separation, even if the scots voted for it and the rest of the uk didn't object, does that mean that (as a separate issue) a future agreement - however far away it might be - to reunite Ireland could be blocked by Finland, Austria or Malta?

I think this is different because although it would be the creation of a "New Ireland", the United Ireland would be a successor state to the current republic, signed up to the same international agreements, treaties etc.

Having said that, there would certainly need to be EU approval for things like increasing the European Parliament constituencies and possibly other things, but it would be different to Scotland which would be a new member state. A United Ireland would involve part of one member state joining another.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MakeMyFriend

jmayo wrote: »
    On the other hand the Scots have never been totally united in their determination to axe it's links with Westminister or the English crown.
    Hell poor ould Willy Wallace had to deal with the backstabbing nobles who took the English shilling, Bonnie Prince Charlie or the other Jacobite risings really did not have the support of the lowlanders and just remember how the massacre of the Clan MacDonald at Glencoe was planned and carried out by Scots loyal to the English crown.
    Jeeze the more I think about it the more I hope they vote yes.
    I think they should show Braveheart the night before the vote. :D
    Yes, a nationalistic and subtly homophobic film, made by an anti-semitic narcissist, would be a great representation of democracy.

• Advertisement

Yes, a nationalistic and subtly homophobic film, made by an anti-semitic narcissist, would be a great representation of democracy.
    Subtly homophobic? How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Subtly homophobic? How so?

Maybe because the prince's boyfriend was thrown out of the tower. Is all I can think of but that may be reaching so to speak

Maybe because the prince's boyfriend was thrown out of the tower. Is all I can think of but that may be reaching so to speak
    The King who did that was known to the audience as a despicable character and throwing the guy from the tower was intended to be seen as a despicable act.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MakeMyFriend

I seem to remember the scene being played for laughs, maybe it was unintentional, but regardless, Edward II is portrayed as an effeminate snobby coward, but pictures of the real figure, somewhat, suggest otherwise. I'm not that serious about it anyway, I'm just using that as an excuse to find another way to insult the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I seem to remember the scene being played for laughs, maybe it was unintentional, but regardless, Edward II is portrayed as an effeminate snobby coward, but pictures of the real figure, somewhat, suggest otherwise. I'm not that serious about it anyway, I'm just using that as an excuse to find another way to insult the film.

You could mention that it portrays Wallace as a paedophile. The queen he supposedly slept with was seven years old at the time of his execution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Film producers, like politicians, rarely let the truth get in the way of a good story!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

You could mention that it portrays Wallace as a paedophile. The queen he supposedly slept with was seven years old at the time of his execution.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's mad your one in the film looks way older :P.

On a serious note wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Interesting angle from Robert Peston

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26455655

An interesting article, particularly because of referencing the EU. I wonder what the position would be if Scotland votes yes and is admitted to the EU and rUK votes to leave the EU.

Since Standard Life is mentioned I've posted the following, also from BBC Scotland.

At Holyrood, nationalists talk of how Standard Life has "form" on the issue of the constitution.

Devolution comments

They recall the company's stated opposition to the proposal for devolution in 1979. They recall the letter from the company sent to staff in 1992 warning of uncertainty associated with any constitutional change.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-26366006

The article clearly states that uncertainty is Westminster's strongest weapon against Scottish independence which is why they are refusing to negotiate anything before the Yes vote. One thing we can be pretty sure of is that people at the top of major corporations have close ties to the Westminster elite and will express anti independence views. Post independence businesses will simply go back to concentrating on the bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It makes me chuckle when I see references to " the Westminster Elite"Are the the mystical lizard people we all here of?

Business hates uncertainty, that is the end of it. Standard life has no great allegiance to the illuminati or an elite class of people, it is simply pointing out that it is in an industry that has had a lot of turmoil over the last five years and the uncertainty of independence isn't a welcome prospect.

It makes me chuckle when I see references to " the Westminster Elite"Are the the mystical lizard people we all here of?

The constraints of the official secrets act does not allow me to either confirm or deny that.

sfakiaman wrote: »
    The constraints of the official secrets act does not allow me to either confirm or deny that.
    Ah so there is an Official Secrets Act! That's all I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Norway, owns North Sea oil. Richest Large EU country. GDP PPP $65,640

Scotland, owns North Sea oil. England steals it. GDP PPP $37,369

England has been stealing oil from Scotland for over 30 years. Making Scottish people poor. They should be as rich as Ireland ($43,600) or Norway. Not as poor as England ($36,900 GDP). In fact, English people will be even poorer without stealing North Sea oil. Englands empire collapsed after WW2. Its projected growth is far more limited than ALL the countries that surround it, its an insignificant old dog.

Scotland was the only area of the UK outside London to record output growth between 2007 and 2010, despite England stealing their oil. Scottish people world be 20% better off without England. Maybe more.

househero wrote: »
    Norway, owns North Sea oil. Richest Large EU country. GDP PPP $65,640

Scotland, owns North Sea oil. England steals it. GDP PPP $37,369

England has been stealing oil from Scotland for over 30 years. Making Scottish people poor. They should be as rich as Ireland ($43,600) or Norway. Not as poor as England ($36,900 GDP). In fact, English people will be even poorer without stealing North Sea oil. Englands empire collapsed after WW2. Its projected growth is far more limited than ALL the countries that surround it, its an insignificant old dog.

Scotland was the only area of the UK outside London to record output growth between 2007 and 2010, despite England stealing their oil. Scottish people world be 20% better off without England. Maybe more.
    Why is it Scottish oil and not British?
    I can think of one country with a lower growth rate that exists quite close to England.

Why is it Scottish oil and not British?

er... Because of country border lines.

Scotland is NOT Britain. It is... Scotland.

• Advertisement

er... Because of country border lines.
    The oil lies within British waters yes.
    Scotland is NOT Britain. It is... Scotland.
    Scotland is the northern 1/3 of Britain (roughly).

I can think of one country with a lower growth rate that exists quite close to England.

If that country you 'can' think about is Ireland, then no, no you cant.

Growth forcasts
    IMF Ireland 2014 3.7%
    IMF Ireland 2015 3.9%

IMF UK 2014 2.4%
    IMF UK 2015 2.2%

And what I am referring to is in fact medium to long term growth, in real terms the UKs economy is projected to retract.

If you are confused by this, the highest value reached to date for the London stock exchange FTSE was 6950.6, on 30 December 1999. 14 years of negative growth to 2014. A strong indicator of the UK economy as a whole and in real terms when financial deflation is factored in, the FTSE is still significantly lower and the UK economy significantly insignificant.

The oil lies within British waters yes.

Scotland is the northern 1/3 of Britain (roughly).

A vote will sort this very question out. But no you are wrong. Scotland is its own country under the rule of an outside power and it is the Scottish people who have the rights of Scottish oil, not the English.

If that country you 'can' think about is Ireland, then no, no you cant.

Growth forcasts
    IMF Ireland 2014 3.7%
    IMF Ireland 2015 3.9%

IMF UK 2014 2.4%
    IMF UK 2015 2.2%

And what I am referring to is in fact medium to long term growth, in real terms the UKs economy is projected to retract.

If you are confused by this, the highest value reached to date for the London stock exchange FTSE was 6950.6, on 30 December 1999. 14 years of negative growth to 2014. A strong indicator of the UK economy as a whole and in real terms when financial deflation is factored in, the FTSE is still significantly lower and the UK economy significantly insignificant.
    I don't know where you got your numbers from but here's where I got mine.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/tgm/table.do?tab=table&plugin=1&language=en&pcode=tec00115

*Also I would like to point out you're now referencing UK growth rates when your original statement reference English growth rates.
    A vote will sort this very question out. But no you are wrong. Scotland is its own country under the rule of an outside power and it is the Scottish people who have the rights of Scottish oil, not the English.
    Polls would indicate the majority of Scots disagree you your assessment.

I don't know where you got your numbers from but here's where I got mine.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/tgm/table.do?tab=table&plugin=1&language=en&pcode=tec00115

*Also I would like to point out you're now referencing UK growth rates when your original statement reference English growth rates.

Polls would indicate the majority of Scots disagree you your assessment.

Why are people that split quotes so retarded.

My forecasts are from the IMF, just as it says in the post. If you dont know what the IMF is, look them up. As the Uk is still together, the independent Scottish growth forcast from an independent body such as the IMF does not exist. Devolution would have to happen to give a forecast for an independent country. Your stats show no forecasts, they are a record of the past. British people love looking backwards, when times were better.

POLLS? You mean polls commissioned by English propaganda newspapers?

Next you will be quoting a tabloid. It means nothing. Only the vote will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

France? Wales? Northern Ireland?
    Growth forcasts
    IMF Ireland 2014 3.7%
    IMF Ireland 2015 3.9%

IMF UK 2014 2.4%
    IMF UK 2015 2.2%

I don't think these estimates are current.
    But the point is still valid, Ireland has grown faster than the UK in the 1960s, in the 1970s, in the 1980s, in the 1990s, in 2000s and will in the 2010s as well.

Why are people that split quotes so retarded.
    "Why are people *who split quotes so retarded?"
    My forecasts are from the IMF, just as it says in the post. If you dont know what the IMF is, look them up. As the Uk is still together, the independent Scottish growth forcast from an independent body such as the IMF does not exist. Devolution would have to happen to give a forecast for an independent country. Your stats show no forecasts, they are a record of the past. British people love looking backwards, when times were better.
    I'm aware of the IMF thank you and while leaving aside the unnecessarily aggressive undertones of your post your objections to the use of historical data is unwarranted. If you want to make any sort of accurate predictions about the future it's important to take note of historical trends.

If Eurostat is not good enough for you perhaps this report from EY is which shows no significant historical differences and actually quite a lot of correlation between the growth of the Republic of Ireland and Great Britain as one would expect given the reliance of Ireland on the British economy.

http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Economic_Eye_summer_2013/$FILE/Economic%20Eye%20-%20Summer%20forecast%202013.pdf
    POLLS? You mean polls commissioned by English propaganda newspapers?

Next you will be quoting a tabloid. It means nothing. Only the vote will decide.
    If you have evidence the polls were biased or unrepresentative please present it.

ardmacha wrote: »
    France? Wales? Northern Ireland?
    I would assume the two latter countries would be very heavily correlated with English growth rates but I have nothing to back that up.

I would assume the two latter countries would be very heavily correlated with English growth rates but I have nothing to back that up.

Yep I would agree.

It would be nice to see data on them separately. Maybe if Scotland leaves, more data would be published on NI. I wouldn't be surprised to see a controlled handover with lower tax's implemented in NI in the run up. Surprisingly this is MORE likely if England becomes independent of Europe. Another interesting vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Iwasfrozen wrote:
    If Eurostat is not good enough for you perhaps this report from EY is which shows no significant historical differences and actually quite a lot of correlation between the growth of the Republic of Ireland and Great Britain as one would expect given the reliance of Ireland on the British economy.

http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAs...ast%202013.pdf

Firstly, this is quite a short term document. Scotland should not decide its future on the basis of 2015 growth rates, but should have a long term perspective.

Secondly, even the EY document you cite shows that the ROI will have a growth rate 1.1% higher than the UK after 2016, which is quite a significant difference, I'm sure Scotland would settle for that. It also shows that NI will have a growth rate 0.1% lower than the UK generally, which illustrates the limitations of the UK model where the poorer parts get poorer and have to be bailed out by handouts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement