Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Really if I hadn't wanted to answer you I would have ignored you totally believe it or not some of us have a life away from the internet. Really how far up your arse is your head

So are you going to clarify what you mean by "mess some places have made" etc. or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I did. And not only did I read it I even highlighted a section. Didn't you see it?

You read it yet you fail to spot that it was MMF who said it was a 'rubbish, broken & corrupt union'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

Do you have anything to back that up? Last time I checked the United Kingdom was in possession of
    1. The most powerful Military in Western Europe.
    2. The Second most powerful navy in the world.
    3. International military bases and a constant military presence in every continent in the world.
    4. One of three financial centres in the world, London. The other two being New York and Tokyo.
    5. A permanent seat on the UN security council.
    6. Historical and familial connections with many powerful countries including Canada and Australia.
    7. A stable currency.
    8. The ability and opportunity to project their culture across the entire planet through the dominance of the English language.
    9. A permanent stock of armed Nuclear weapons.
    10. Closest operational ally of the world's only remaining Superpower which guarantees British protection from outside threats without having to sacrifice their economy to build up a needlessly large military.
    All that combined together sounds like a Great Power to me, I don't see a broken Union.

Well said. Scotland has enjoyed all the advantages of the above, and continues to enjoy these advantages. If it wants to lose the £ sterling and take the Scottish flag out of the Union Jack, it will be a poorer place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

You read it yet you fail to spot that it was MMF who said it was a 'rubbish, broken & corrupt union'?
    Do you not agree with him? If not then fair enough I took you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

For those genuinely interested in Scottish politics this is a very interesting series of programs from BBC Alba (with subtitles).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saqQnj0LKlQ&list=PLiH5yyuKidEaqK_Zkvh2AAu2XzE90h7Pv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

fundi wrote: »
    If [Scotland] wants to lose the £ sterling
    It doesn't. If you recall, it's the "no" campaign that's threatening that. (And in any event, can't really do anything to prevent "sterlingisation" if all else fails.)
    and take the Scottish flag out of the Union Jack, it will be a poorer place.
    Nor does Scotland claim exclusive copyright to that, as a quick squint at the vexillology of Australia, New Zealand, and Hawaii (just off the top) will confirm. Perhaps YMTS "undo defacement of the saltire", if you want to bandy heraldry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 redtracy

Ifye ask me ...yewan mcgregor andy murray and black pudding and itchy skirts thats about d only gud came outa scotland so ...but if it meant they cud CLOSE DOWN FASLANE....
    For that hope and that hope alone for me i think they should make theor own decisions n have their very own scotland yard and kids and tryciles n cjips n goin soccer trainging hey one mire gud thinf the celtic manager hes the head off nielie barnes in fermoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 redtracy

redtracy wrote: »
    Ifye ask me ...yewan mcgregor andy murray and black pudding and itchy skirts thats about d only gud came outa scotland so ...but if it meant they cud CLOSE DOWN FASLANE....
    For that hope and that hope alone for me i think they should make theor own decisions n have their very own scotland yard and kids and tryciles n cjips n goin soccer trainging hey one mire gud thinf the celtic manager hes the head off nielie barnes in fermoy

And stone thrower rallies and parties..and tHE HIGHLANDS

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

How could the break up of a regional great power like the United Kingdom be anything but destabilising?It won't happen though. It's questionable whether or not Scotland is economically viable nevermind Wales or Northern Ireland.

Mod:

We have a more current thread active.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement