Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The instructions to flash CM10 Nightlies:
    First time installing CyanogenMod 10 to your Galaxy S II, or coming from another ROM:
    - Make sure you're NOT RUNNING A KERNEL WITH THE MMC-SUPERBRICK-BUG. If you're unsure, flash this ClockworkMod-Recovery using Odin/Heimdall.
    - Make sure you're running a proper working ClockworkMod-Recovery
    - Copy GApps and CM10 ZIPs to your internal SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery
    - Flash CM10 zip from internal SDCard
    - Flash GApps zip from internal SDCard
    - DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)
    - Reboot
    - Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
    - Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!

Upgrading from earlier version of CyanogenMod 10:
    - Copy CM10 ZIP to your internal SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery
    - Reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

fitzie79 wrote: »
    Hope this is the right place to post this. My wife was sick of the interface on the sgs2 and I (stupidly) said that I would flash it to a new rom. I was planning on installing resurrection remix but at the moment i'm in a spot of bother!

I rooted the phone and that went fine. I then copied the new rom to the sd card. However, I copied the file to the external sd card, and i think that this is where my problems began. When I entered recovery mode to install the new rom it turns out that only the internal memory is visible to the phone. I figure that i need to copy the rom to the internal sd card but have no idea how to do this now. When I plug the phone into the laptop it "installs" the device but I can't see it on my computer. I have checked that communication to the phone is still functioning by running samsung quick root and i can get this tool to reboot the phone etc. Looking online I have seen a thread that mentions partitioning the sd card using "adb" but have no idea how to go about doing this.

Any help would be appreciated as currently the void is being filled by a rather slow htc legend......

This happened to me when I was trying to update to the CM10 too, I think i did a step wrong, but I just tried to get into the recovery mode pressing (i think) Vol up + Home + Power button. I eventually got into it and was able to revert back to RR by re-installing it. Then downloaded CM to my Internal SD card, and bob's your uncle!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Mc Love wrote: »
    The instructions to flash CM10 Nightlies:
    First time installing CyanogenMod 10 to your Galaxy S II, or coming from another ROM:
    - Make sure you're NOT RUNNING A KERNEL WITH THE MMC-SUPERBRICK-BUG. If you're unsure, flash this ClockworkMod-Recovery using Odin/Heimdall.
    - Make sure you're running a proper working ClockworkMod-Recovery
    - Copy GApps and CM10 ZIPs to your internal SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery
    - Flash GApps zip from internal SDCard
    - DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)
    - Reboot
    - Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
    - Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!

Upgrading from earlier version of CyanogenMod 10:
    - Copy CM10 ZIP to your internal SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery
    - Reboot
    Thanks. Again this is absolutely the method even if you have never updated to Icecream Sandwich previously though the phone is rooted?

Thanks. Again this is absolutely the method even if you have never updated to Icecream Sandwich previously though the phone is rooted?
    if anyone could steer me right on my question before I do anything I would be very grateful.
    Rooted phone, running 2.3.6, XXKL1
    Never bothered with ICS due to all the problems reported and SGS2 was working perfectly on Gingerbread.
    Want to put on CM10 now and am conscious that maybe it isn't as simplistic as just flashing through CWM or am I over-thinking it?
    Do i need to be flashing Kernels for CWM Recovery for ICS etc?
    Any help, or go-ahead on what's been posted would be brilliant please

Shameless bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

if anyone could steer me right on my question before I do anything I would be very grateful.
    Rooted phone, running 2.3.6, XXKL1
    Never bothered with ICS due to all the problems reported and SGS2 was working perfectly on Gingerbread.
    Want to put on CM10 now and am conscious that maybe it isn't as simplistic as just flashing through CWM or am I over-thinking it?
    Do i need to be flashing Kernels for CWM Recovery for ICS etc?
    Any help, or go-ahead on what's been posted would be brilliant please

Here just scroll down to Instructions.

Here just scroll down to Instructions.
    Thank you. I guess 2 bits are throwing me
    1) Make sure you're running a proper working ClockworkMod-Recovery ( I have a CMW app version 3.0 - is this OK?)
    2) The mention of LQ6 down the end as flashable modem, is the modem not already built into the CM10?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

on a nightly cm10 much better ressurection remix and battery life is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Thank you. I guess 2 bits are throwing me
    1) Make sure you're running a proper working ClockworkMod-Recovery ( I have a CMW app version 3.0 - is this OK?)
    2) The mention of LQ6 down the end as flashable modem, is the modem not already built into the CM10?

ad.2) I never flashed any modem with cm7/9/10, and 2G/3G just works

PrzemoF wrote: »
    ad.2) I never flashed any modem with cm7/9/10, and 2G/3G just works
    Yeah cheers, just was being over cautious. Have CM10 and pretty happy with it thus far!. Stayed clear of restoring my apps through titanium which i would have normally done when I used to flash various ROM's
    Thanks one and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I was fixing an S2 today and came across this official pre release for Jellybean on your S2

working well on my mates phone

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/11/15/i9100xxlsj-%E2%80%93-galaxy-s-ii-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-test-firmware/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

kingtiger wrote: »
    I was fixing an S2 today and came across this official pre release for Jellybean on your S2

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/11/15/i9100xxlsj-%E2%80%93-galaxy-s-ii-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-test-firmware/

Cool, thanks for posting. If I wanted to try this out, would it be a good idea to do a full wipe beforehand or could I just flash over CM10?

SuprSi wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for posting. If I wanted to try this out, would it be a good idea to do a full wipe beforehand or could I just flash over CM10?

it will wipe your phone while using Odin

you just need to root the phone again after installation

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

Mc Love wrote: »
    This happened to me when I was trying to update to the CM10 too, I think i did a step wrong, but I just tried to get into the recovery mode pressing (i think) Vol up + Home + Power button. I eventually got into it and was able to revert back to RR by re-installing it. Then downloaded CM to my Internal SD card, and bob's your uncle!

tried doing this but there is no option to reinstall in the recovery mode. the only options i get are

1. reboot system now (only brings up the samsung galaxy model number with a yellow triangle with exclamation mark in the middle)
    2. apply update from sdcard (this would seem to be the best option if i could get a rom copied to the internal sd card
    3. wipe data/factory reset
    4. wipe cache partition

any ideas on how to copy a file to the internal sd card?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭metaxaaa

After my bf try to install this the phone is dead .. i think its bricked now is anybody knows in dublin city center good repair comp?

metaxaaa wrote: »
    After my bf try to install this the phone is dead .. i think its bricked now is anybody knows in dublin city center good repair comp?

can you get into download mode?

can you get into download mode?

No ;((( complitely dead ;(((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

You need an external battery charger - to charge the battery
    Usb JIG - to reset binary counter

Jarren wrote: »
    You need an external battery charger - to charge the battery
    Usb JIG - to reset binary counter

Not work ;((( try go to fonemenders for samsung warranty just a problem i buy from adverts ;( is anybody buy from adverts and go to fonemenders?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not work ;((( try go to fonemenders for samsung warranty just a problem i buy from adverts ;( is anybody buy from adverts and go to fonemenders?

You won't get a warranty repair for a failed update to unofficial software I think.

On the plus side, software issues should not take too long, so hopefully won't cost too much.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »

You won't get a warranty repair for a failed update to unofficial software I think.

On the plus side, software issues should not take too long, so hopefully won't cost too much.

Maybe you know good repair centre in dublin?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sorry, wrong side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

can anyone tell me how I can change my alerts. my alert tone is the same for when I receive an email as when I get a text. its very annoying. help

Messaging > Menu button > Settings > Scroll down > Select ringtone (you can put your custom ringtones here by doing the below)

Applications > My files > Media folder > Audio folder > Create a notifications folder if it doesn't exist (Menu button > Create folder) > Put desired ringtone here for notifications

Did you try it ?

Try Moore St in Dublin city for SGS2 soft repair .

buy a jig

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Download-mode-USB-Dongle-Jig-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-2-S2-i9100-/290637261298?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43ab54a9f2#ht_1618wt_952

its piss easy with a jig to get the phone into d/load mode and from there its a simple recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

MarkR wrote: »

see my post a few pages back. just leave the phone with no battery,sim orn card in it for a few weeks and then turn it back on.mine fixed itself :eek:

phonemenders wont touch a rooted phone nor will samsung as its voided the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Maybe you know good repair centre in dublin?
    Did you try a jig? If it a jig doesn't work it needs to be jtagged, and no where in Ireland does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

a friend has a jtag which was our last option. but the phone fixed itself in right in front of the 2 of us... still cant believe it. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

sweet...just finished downloading Jb for the S2..then realize my cable's at work :(
    And done...very stable so far and pretty nice :)

have to say I'm very impressed with the S2...it's a really nice phone and the perfect size.
    I came from iphone to the S3, found it was too big and went back to a 4s..I like ios as it just works etc but I love the S2 as well for the screen size which fits perfectly into my hand plus I can customize it as I see fit.
    It's a pain having to carry two phones around (gf is on vodafone and I refuse to switch over due to their data packages) but having a 4s and a S2 I can't complain :D

Advertisement