Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Ah, I don't think I restored any system apps when I upgraded the phone to CM9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Hmm, just rooted or installed a custom ROM that is using a different path to access SD card as well? Rooting on it's own shouldn't cause any problems..

Just rooted. I was going to install a ROM but ended up deciding against it as I didn't want to wipe the handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

SuprSi wrote: »
    Just rooted. I was going to install a ROM but ended up deciding against it as I didn't want to wipe the handset.

Can you try to move an app back to phone memory?

Can you try to move an app back to phone memory?

Unfortunately not. When I try it says that it couldn't move it because it doesn't exist. It's not a big deal as I can just download them again but I thought it was a bit weird.

Unfortunately not. When I try it says that it couldn't move it because it doesn't exist. It's not a big deal as I can just download them again but I thought it was a bit weird.

Looks like broken path to SD card.
    Can you check if there is /mnt/asec directory on your phone?
    The apps moved to SD card should be there (I'm open to corrections on this)

• Advertisement

Looks like broken path to SD card.
    Can you check if there is /mnt/asec directory on your phone?
    The apps moved to SD card should be there (I'm open to corrections on this)

Doesn't look like it, only the following directories;
    • data
    • DCIM
    • LOST.DIR
    • media
    • Sounds
    All of my music on the SD card is still available.

Doesn't look like it, only the following directories;
    • data
    • DCIM
    • LOST.DIR
    • media
    • Sounds
    All of my music on the SD card is still available.

OK, what's inside "data" and what version of android you have?

OK, what's inside "data" and what version of android you have?

Just com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup and inside that is a licensing-cache.xml file. I bought this as I wanted to back everything up before installing a ROM.

I appreciate your help here :)

Just com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup and inside that is a licensing-cache.xml file. I bought this as I wanted to back everything up before installing a ROM.

I appreciate your help here :)

Thanks, but I haven't helped at all.

OK, so this app was installed and moved to SD card before rooting. Can you move it back, just to test if the system uses that location?

I still have no idea where is the rest of the apps...

The app isn't installed on the SD card. It's weird. I've tried unmounting the SD card and remounting it, I've also tried moving apps either to and from it and if I try to move an app that is/was on the SD card it tells me that the app doesn't exist. Also, if I try to move an app to the SD card it tell me that it couldn't move it.

What's weird is that I can play some of the music that's stored there, so it's obviously recognised by the system. I'm using ICS 4.0.4

• Advertisement

I just checked my phone - there has to be an apk file. Try to search for all apk files on SD card. "ES File Explorer" has that option or you can use android adb

If there are no apk files... there are no apps on SD card.

Only one file, that Titanium Backup thing. Very weird - the icons are there (though greyed out and with a generic graphic) and the apps show in my app list, but I can't do anything with them. Not to worry, as I said I can just reinstall the apps.

Thanks for your help again!

No prob! :D

Do you mind sharing how did you root the phone?

Sure, I used this guide;

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s2/

I started then got nervous about wiping the phone even though I'd like to get JB installed so I'll see how things pan out during the week as I might change my mind!

So I took the plunge. I was getting annoyed with how my phone was performing and decided that it was time to try a mod. I went with CM10 Nightly 14/10 as it was mentioned as being good here. Everything seems to have gone ok, with a few exception;
    • I can't receive calls. I can send & receive texts, and I can make calls, but when I try to receive a call it says that I'm busy. I may need to call my provider but has anyone come across this?
    • Google Play is not working. It's installed (I installed Google Apps) but when it launches it says 'Server Error'
    • I find that touch isn't as responsive on some occasions, where I may have to tap an icon 2 - 3 times for it to launch. Not a major thing but I just wanted to check whether anyone has experienced this too
    Once I get the Play Store installed I can get my other apps ready so that I can see what it really performs like.

Also, I've just noticed that this is Android 4.04 - I thought this was Jelly Bean? Is there a CM Jelly Bean ROM out there?

CM9:
    http://get.cm/?device=galaxys2

CM10:
    http://get.cm/?device=i9100
    Based on 4.1.2

OTA:
    After the first flash you can use System Settings->About Phone->Cyanogenmod Updates

CM9:

CM10:
    Based on 4.1.2

OTA:
    After the first flash you can use System Settings->About Phone->Cyanogenmod Updates

Sweet! CM10 works much better and all the problems listed above are now gone. Thank you very much!

I'm very impressed with CM10. I don't know how many of the configuration options are part of CM or what comes with Jelly Bean, but I love it. The lock screen shortcuts (genius!), the fact that I can change how many rows/columns of icons I can have and the various themes - it's class.

It's not without it's niggles - I've had a few restarts due to apps not liking what I'm doing, or when changing certain settings, but it restarts so quickly that I'm not bothered about it.

I was scared of installing the ROM but I didn't realise that I wouldn't lose any of my photo's or music, which was the main reason I didn't go ahead with it before. Very happy so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I rooted my phone and installed CM10 this morning but my phone is stuck on a boot animation for about 10 minutes now.

Any ideas where im going wrong?

• Advertisement

I rooted my phone and installed CM10 this morning but my phone is stuck on a boot animation for about 10 minutes now.

Any ideas where im going wrong?

Did you do the wipe/reset factory settings part before installing CM10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

CM9:

CM10:
    Based on 4.1.2

OTA:

Apologies for my stupidity, I have CM9 at the moment, what's the easiest way to move to CM10?

Flash it the same way as you flashed CM9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

I didn't unfortunately, cousin did it for me!

You need to copy CM10 to your SD card and back up anything important on your phone, ideally using Titanium Backup.

You then boot into CWM recovery and choose wipe system data, then install the new ROM. This is a good guide;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1837863

Is it possible to get the default Samsung apps that come with their phones? While I love the vanilla experience of CM10, there are a few things that I miss from the standard ROM like the dialler and address book, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

You need to copy CM10 to your SD card and back up anything important on your phone, ideally using Titanium Backup.

You then boot into CWM recovery and choose wipe system data, then install the new ROM. This is a good guide;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1837863
    Sorry to cut it but a quick question.
    I'm running Android 2.36 with CheckRom RevoHD V6 and haven't been paying attention to ROM's etc for quite a while. Can I just copy CM10 to my sd and flash after wiping etc? I don't need to do some update first?

Sorry to cut it but a quick question.
    I'm running Android 2.36 with CheckRom RevoHD V6 and haven't been paying attention to ROM's etc for quite a while. Can I just copy CM10 to my sd and flash after wiping etc? I don't need to do some update first?

Well there are people here better equipped to answer the question, but how I went about it was to root the phone and install CWM Recovery. I copied the ROM to the SD card, backed up, restarted into recovery, wiped and installed the ROM.

You might be best doing it this way, i.e. from scratch to ensure that everything works out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Well there are people here better equipped to answer the question, but how I went about it was to root the phone and install CWM Recovery. I copied the ROM to the SD card, backed up, restarted into recovery, wiped and installed the ROM.

You might be best doing it this way, i.e. from scratch to ensure that everything works out ok.
    Thanks, will wait and see if anyone says different. It is rooted already obviously.
    I remember 6 months ago thinking that it was more complicated with extra steps than your method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

Hope this is the right place to post this. My wife was sick of the interface on the sgs2 and I (stupidly) said that I would flash it to a new rom. I was planning on installing resurrection remix but at the moment i'm in a spot of bother!

I rooted the phone and that went fine. I then copied the new rom to the sd card. However, I copied the file to the external sd card, and i think that this is where my problems began. When I entered recovery mode to install the new rom it turns out that only the internal memory is visible to the phone. I figure that i need to copy the rom to the internal sd card but have no idea how to do this now. When I plug the phone into the laptop it "installs" the device but I can't see it on my computer. I have checked that communication to the phone is still functioning by running samsung quick root and i can get this tool to reboot the phone etc. Looking online I have seen a thread that mentions partitioning the sd card using "adb" but have no idea how to go about doing this.

Any help would be appreciated as currently the void is being filled by a rather slow htc legend......

Advertisement