Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Has anyone here tried the ICS / CM9 alpha builds for SGS2?

I see they don't work properly on networks that use NITZ. Anyone know if this works on Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Cossax wrote: »
    With CheckROM RevoHD v4, KI3 modem, Dark Knight 2.5.2 and ondemand governor, got 2 days of what I consider heavy usage out of it - Viber, WhatsApp, Tweetdeck, stock messaging app, email, Facebook - all in about 2 1/2 hours of screen on time and still had ~20% battery after 40 hours.[/QUOTE

Flashed CheckROM RevoHD v4, KI4 modem, Dark Knight 2.5.2 a couple of days ago.Very impressed. Battery is excellent,still 60% left at end of the day after above average use.Kitchenpro app makes customizing very easy.With loads of options.
    I was always a Darky fan on my SGS but they are way behind when it comes to the SGS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Flashed CheckROM RevoHD v4, KI4 modem, Dark Knight 2.5.2 a couple of days ago.Very impressed. Battery is excellent,still 60% left at end of the day after above average use.Kitchenpro app makes customizing very easy.With loads of options.
    I was always a Darky fan on my SGS but they are way behind when it comes to the SGS2.

I'm on CheckROM 2.0. Will I need to do a full wipe to upgrade to the RevoHD v4 setup you have?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

seanp_25 wrote: »

I see they don't work properly on networks that use NITZ. Anyone know if this works on Meteor?
    The build from the 31st(based on KP8) apparently has the NITZ issue resolved. Still a lot of work to do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

BenThere wrote: »
    Gaffs89 wrote: »

I'm on CheckROM 2.0. Will I need to do a full wipe to upgrade to the RevoHD v4 setup you have?

Ben
    It's recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Upgraded to from stock to CheckROM V4 recently. Working perfectly except for the Kitchen app - FCs every time I try open it. Is there any way to reinstall it? Don't want to do a full wipe/reinstall - because everything else is okay.

Tried to install DarkKnight, but it keeps saying update.zip not found, even though I renamed the zip I downloaded and put it in the root of the sdcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Upgraded to from stock to CheckROM V4 recently. Working perfectly except for the Kitchen app - FCs every time I try open it. Is there any way to reinstall it? Don't want to do a full wipe/reinstall - because everything else is okay.

Tried to install DarkKnight, but it keeps saying update.zip not found, even though I renamed the zip I downloaded and put it in the root of the sdcard.

Internal or external SD card?

Should be on root of internal SD card

Internal. \sdcard rather than \sdcard\external_sd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Perhaps a silly question but what option are you choosing in Recovery to install it?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Anyone have an opinion on this please?
    Have Checkrom hd running on dark night 2.52. Battery is pretty good and phone is operating fine except it has began to reboot fairly randomly about 3 or 4 times a day and then come back on with the battery a good 30% lower than what it was when switching off

Is there anything i can do in recovery or will i have to flash the rom again and set it all up again?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

seanp_25 wrote: »

I've been using CM9 on Meteor for 3 days now. LOVE it ! Still a few bugs, but very stable.

Have Checkrom hd running on dark night 2.52. Battery is pretty good and phone is operating fine except it has began to reboot fairly randomly about 3 or 4 times a day and then come back on with the battery a good 30% lower than what it was when switching off

Is there anything i can do in recovery or will i have to flash the rom again and set it all up again?

Cheers

I think all advice is going to start with doing a wipe/reflash

Zagato wrote: »

Cheers

I think all advice is going to start with doing a wipe/reflash
    Cheers, thought that might be the case alright. Just to be sure a wipe is factory reset, wipe dalvik cache and wipe battery stats, then flash?

Cheers, thought that might be the case alright. Just to be sure a wipe is factory reset, wipe dalvik cache and wipe battery stats, then flash?

Yep, I usually wipe the cache partition as well - don't know if that's necessary.

You may not even need to reflash, but I guess you may as well at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

The build from the 31st(based on KP8) apparently has the NITZ issue resolved. Still a lot of work to do though.

Thanks, I have this installed now.

The upgrade to Android 4.0 is much better than I was expecting. Very smooth graphics on this CyanogenMod 9 build (is this using hardware acceleration that Gingerbread roms weren't?). I'm using it permanently now, can't see myself going back to Gingerbread any more.

Hopefully the video, USB mounting etc gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Cheers

I had this problem also, I was able to trace it back to a problem with the micro sd card. Either an app was corrupt or there was a problem with the card itself

What I have had success with was doing a full factory reset, cache, dalvik. Formatting the sd card and removing a good few apps. I had tons and some where just wasting space and never getting used. I also did a fresh flash of my rom, kernal and modem and the phone seems to be working great now.

Of course make sure you have a nandroid and titanium backup and backup of your micro sd before doing all this! :rolleyes:

A good way to test if it is your card causing the problems is to take your micro sd card out for a day or so and see if the problem occurs. If not then it would point to a problem with the sd card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Anyone else getting really inconsistent battery life? I'm on CheckRom v4 and have posted before about how good it is but some days recently I'm barely getting the day out of it and it just randomly burns through battery?

Anyone else experienced this or might it just be a dodgy battery/odd combination of modem/rom/kernel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

hi all,
    had my Three SGS2 for a little while and want to root and put on custom firmware.
    in order to root to i need a kernel from Three or can someone point me to the correct version before i start.

Have rooted phones before but over a year ago and dont want to cock it up.

Baseband is I9100XXKH3
    Kernel Version - 2.6.35.11-ninphetamine-2.0.5+ninpo@titan#20

Thanks
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

BrookieD wrote: »
    hi all,
    had my Three SGS2 for a little while and want to root and put on custom firmware.
    in order to root to i need a kernel from Three or can someone point me to the correct version before i start.

Baseband is I9100XXKH3

Thanks
    Darren

Hey have a good read of this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1246131

should answer all your questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Anyone else getting really inconsistent battery life? I'm on CheckRom v4 and have posted before about how good it is but some days recently I'm barely getting the day out of it and it just randomly burns through battery?

Anyone else experienced this or might it just be a dodgy battery/odd combination of modem/rom/kernel?
    try install betterbatterystats and see if something is holding a wakelock.
    if you are having a software issue, its nearly always a wakelock and you can see what app is holding it, then check with the developer or online for a solution.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15869886&postcount=2

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    hi all,

Baseband is I9100XXKH3

Thanks
    Darren

Sounds like you are already rooted. The baseband is the same as the radio or modem and is not really relevant. Ninphetamine's kernel is an unsecure kernel (i.e. allows root access). Do you have Superuser app? or CWM app? If not, try downloading the superuser app from the market and seeing if superuser access is granted - if it is then you are rooted.

Here is a link to the thread about your kernel

To check that you have clockworkmod recovery, switch off your phone, and hold the volume up and home keys while powering on. If it brings you to a screen like below with orange text, you're good to go with custom roms, just remember to to a backup via recovery and a Titanium backup, and then a full wipe before flashing new ROMs to reduce potential for disaster.
    device.png

apope8 wrote: »
    I had this problem also, I was able to trace it back to a problem with the micro sd card. Either an app was corrupt or there was a problem with the card itself

What I have had success with was doing a full factory reset, cache, dalvik. Formatting the sd card and removing a good few apps. I had tons and some where just wasting space and never getting used. I also did a fresh flash of my rom, kernal and modem and the phone seems to be working great now.

Of course make sure you have a nandroid and titanium backup and backup of your micro sd before doing all this! :rolleyes:

A good way to test if it is your card causing the problems is to take your micro sd card out for a day or so and see if the problem occurs. If not then it would point to a problem with the sd card

Cheers, have done all this and the phone is fine again with no random reboots. I actually have no micro sd with this one, have never bothered to get one since i passed my old sgs2 and 8mb card onto someone else.

I wiped and reflashed everything and now (with fairly conservative use) I am getting only about 16 hours max from the phone and this is with all syncing off, black theme, location stuff off, phone turned to GSM when i think of it. The first time i flashed Checkrom i couldn't burn the battery, very odd.

The more I am learning about modding (still relatively early stages) it seems to be mythical quest to the ultimate phone set up that doesn't normally last. You download the latest update on top of something that works great as it is and suddenly everything shifts backwards.

I'd imagine some people might say it is perhaps your modem (KI4 - comes with checkrom 4.0) but surely the suitability of your modem and battery life can't be too disparate and some say it will have minimal effect if any. On this related point if anyone has any great opinion on the best radio out there for the SGS2 on 3 in Ireland I will gladly listen.

Yours in being resigned to 13-16 hours of phone use (while constantly monitoring it to make sure Im being most battery efficient)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

CM9 installed and working fine so far. Really beautiful UI. A great job by CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

squire23 wrote: »
    Well that was stupid.... got CM9 installed, everything loaded up & working fine. Then decided I'd ignore the warning not to use Titanium Backup to restore my apps & went ahead & have absolutely buggered it all up again. Looks like I'll need to flash CM9 again.

Well that was stupid.... got CM9 installed, everything loaded up & working fine. Then decided I'd ignore the warning not to use Titanium Backup to restore my apps & went ahead & have absolutely buggered it all up again. Looks like I'll need to flash CM9 again.

I know it's probably too late now App List Backup could be useful, it just saves links to the market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

hi all, thanks for replies, ok so rooted and on checkrom revo.
    phone seems to be much faster in real operating terms than before. very happy indeed.
    only question i have is that i seem to loose 3g and hsdpa conenction and have to select my network provider to resolve. never happened before.

anyone know of this or a fix? will post a screen shot of my home screen for opinions, looking for a slick, non cluttered look...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

on checkrom but the battery seems to running down very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Does anyone know the best current way to root the S2?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Any reliable, solid ICS roms for recommendation anyone?

• Advertisement

Perhaps a silly question but what option are you choosing in Recovery to install it?

The apply update from SD option
    Got it working in the end - used the ClockworkMod app to apply it.
    Not really noticing any battery life improvement though.

Advertisement