Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

Just after flashing the latest checkrom v4 with the ICS Domination 1.6 theme. Really nice now. Had trouble installing it with no wipe so did a full wipe on my phone. Although I backed up my entire phone details everything had been saved by google also and synced back up when I signed into my google a/c. So handy. It's nearly impossible to make a mess of it now. Definitely the easiest full wipe and flash I have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

On UltraToxic 8.0.1 with Siyah 2.5.and battery seems to be going good

Installed Screen Rotation and its looking good

Was looking for Sony Bravia Engine to install but seems to have gone from XDA:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What is the best custom ROM to flash at the min. I'm a bit behind with the ROM's at the min. I know i could read through this thread but im a bit too lazy. I've always been with lite'ning rom as i've found it very good. But he used to bring updates out every week nearly i was constantly updating and then no new ones came since v6.1 and i read through some of his thread on xda and it seems he has disapeared. Or should i just wait till a decent ICS ROM comes along. To be honest it won't be too long before they start appearing.

What is the best custom ROM to flash at the min. I'm a bit behind with the ROM's at the min. I know i could read through this thread but im a bit too lazy. I've always been with lite'ning rom as i've found it very good. But he used to bring updates out every week nearly i was constantly updating and then no new ones came since v6.1 and i read through some of his thread on xda and it seems he has disapeared. Or should i just wait till a decent ICS ROM comes along. To be honest it won't be too long before they start appearing.

ICS roms are definitely on the way but if you want a change I'd once again advise Checkrom with the built in kitchen app that makes customization of the ROM simple. Being constatntly updated as well (no wiping required) and has a good number of developers working on it it seams. That's what I'd recommend.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312240

pedatron wrote: »
    ICS roms are definitely on the way but if you want a change I'd once again advise Checkrom with the built in kitchen app that makes customization of the ROM simple. Being constatntly updated as well (no wiping required) and has a good number of developers working on it it seams. That's what I'd recommend.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312240

Thanks i will have a look at that ROM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Cossax wrote: »
    Anyone else had any issues with battery drain while on wifi? Flashed to CheckRom with Siyah 2.4.1 and KI4 modem recently and the battery life is amazing on data but it eats battery on wifi - see someone on XDA started a thread on the same topic but with no answer as of yet. Suggestions?
    Totally agree on that, haven't had the opportunity to have a look for a solution yet. Simple browsing with screen filter on for 15 mins almost loses you 10% battery. Nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Cossax wrote: »
    Anyone else had any issues with battery drain while on wifi? Flashed to CheckRom with Siyah 2.4.1 and KI4 modem recently and the battery life is amazing on data but it eats battery on wifi - see someone on XDA started a thread on the same topic but with no answer as of yet. Suggestions?

Barely getting 13hrs on CheckROM with Siyah 2.5.1 with 1hr 10 screen on. Very disappointing. I used to get 30 hrs+ on Siyah in the past but no longer..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

pedatron wrote: »
    Although I backed up my entire phone details everything had been saved by google also and synced back up when I signed into my google a/c. So handy.

What exactly does Google restore? I hate doing full wipes because of the hassle involved in restoring all the apps, setting up the phone again etc. Are you saying that if you have Google sync turned on when you do a full wipe and flash a new ROM Google Sync will reinstall all your apps, all your app data and all your settings? I thought Google Sync just reinstalled your email and contacts etc? :confused:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

BenThere wrote: »
    What exactly does Google restore? I hate doing full wipes because of the hassle involved in restoring all the apps, setting up the phone again etc. Are you saying that if you have Google sync turned on when you do a full wipe and flash a new ROM Google Sync will reinstall all your apps, all your app data and all your settings? I thought Google Sync just reinstalled your email and contacts etc? :confused:

Ben

AFAIK, it'll re-download all your apps and sync your contacts.
    Not sure it will bring back your settings - I prefer using Titanium Backup (which will restore all your apps and settings if you back them up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aidog

running criskelo rom v34 with siyah 2.4.2 kernel overclocked to 1.6ghz

i think i changed the modem to k14 and have got great wifi and reception.

cant get the blue theme working tho when i flashed it from the sd,anybody have any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aidog

no worries got the blue theme loaded :) bloody fast @ 1.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

BenThere wrote: »

Ben

Use to have this feature on my old phone set up, and would like it set up again. Be damned if I can figure out how to get though :confused:

I installed checkROM RevoHD v4. I'm actually quite liking it. I was always a lightn'ing ROM man but due to lack of updates i changed. The thought of having to backup Apps and data and restore sounds more daunting than it actually is. You get it done fairly quick. But saying that you wouldn't want to have to do it every couple of days. Next thing on the to-do list is change the kernal. Any recomendations on which is the best for good battery life??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Quick question lads. I've had my phone since about July and I'm thinking of rooting it. But I have a crack on my screen which I must get repaired. If I root the phone before sending it off for repair under insurance would that affect my insurance policy or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Testament1 wrote: »
    Quick question lads. I've had my phone since about July and I'm thinking of rooting it. But I have a crack on my screen which I must get repaired. If I root the phone before sending it off for repair under insurance would that affect my insurance policy or what??

I'd imagine they gave/sent you a contract when you took out the insurance, have a read through of that?

May just be easiest to wait until it's repaired if you're unsure (most stories I've heard have been positive, esp. as it's usually a physical repair so they don't look/pay much attention to the firmware/software but why take the chance?).

I installed checkROM RevoHD v4 and i seem to get this bug, where if i was walking with my phone in my pocket and took it out to check time or something the phone would be switched off. Its awful annoying. So does anybody else get it or did something just go wrong on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I installed samsungs 2.3.6 XXKL1 rom from xda forums last week but my s2 has gone into 'kernel panic upload mode' about five times over the past couple of days. Is this something to be concerned about? Also at times I have no network coverage but I can't tell if this is because of Meteors **** network or the XXKL1 rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Nephew wrote: »
    I installed samsungs 2.3.6 XXKL1 rom from xda forums last week but my s2 has gone into 'kernel panic upload mode' about five times over the past couple of days. Is this something to be concerned about? Also at times I have no network coverage but I can't tell if this is because of Meteors **** network or the XXKL1 rom.

I have been running that ROM for the past couple of days without issue.

I did do a full wipe though as well as emptying the cache in recovery mode and a full factory reset just to be sure

My only problem is the phone won't stay switched off but it was like that before I flashed too and from what I am reading online it may be a hardware issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Do you mean it goes it does a reboot instead of switching off? if you hold the power button pressed, it should switch off completely
    Ghandee wrote: »

Use to have this feature on my old phone set up, and would like it set up again. Be damned if I can figure out how to get though :confused:

Settings - Privacy - check back up + automatic restore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I wanted just say that I managed to softbrick my SGS2 three weeks ago when trying
    to overclock the processor to 1.5ghz,basically phone+battery were dead completely.
    So I got an external battery charger,Usb Jig yesterday and then just reflashed ,installed original stock firmware and Hallelujah!!!!!
    Great to have my SGS2 back:)

Ps Thank you all for keeping this thread alive

I rooted SGS2 again just to remove a bloatware:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nephew wrote: »

Yeah ive got that and the phone keeps going into flight mode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah ive got that and the phone keeps going into flight mode!

Yeah, my s2 has gone into flight mode an awful lot since I installed the XXKL1 rom. Occasionally when I enter my pin code, the phone loads and then 15 seconds later it asks me to enter the code again with two attempts remaining.

Install the 2.3.6 XWKK2 with XXKI3 modem its in XDA under stock firmware/frankenstein if you are having problems with the other stock. I've it installed two days now with no problems. I was on checkROM RevoHD v4 but phone kept turning off by itself so i had to change. Since i flashed that frankenstein ROM i done a few modifications. Custom boot animation, battery display mod, custom keypad, Darkknight-2.5 kernal and got rid of yellow triangle. I'm pretty pleased with it and don't think i will change till a stable ICS comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Install the 2.3.6 XWKK2 with XXKI3 modem its in XDA under stock firmware/frankenstein if you are having problems with the other stock. I've it installed two days now with no problems. I was on checkROM RevoHD v4 but phone kept turning off by itself so i had to change. Since i flashed that frankenstein ROM i done a few modifications. Custom boot animation, battery display mod, custom keypad, Darkknight-2.5 kernal and got rid of yellow triangle. I'm pretty pleased with it and don't think i will change till a stable ICS comes out.

Is it okay to flash on just the XXKI3 modem on it's own with Odin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Ush1 wrote: »

Is it okay to flash on just the XXKI3 modem on it's own with Odin?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Trying to install themes on the S2 and everytime I keep getting bootloop no matter what theme it is.

What I am thinking of doing is a wipe data/ factory reset in ClockworkMod mode then load up the Rom via Odin and then flash the theme

Will this work or does the wipe data also delete the back ups created with CWM?

Anything else that maybe causing boot loop.

On UltraToxic Rom and latest Siyah Kernel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

How easy is the gs2 to root when compared to the G1?

I see a lot of instances of people bricking it, never heard of a G1 actually being bricked just plenty warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

How easy is the gs2 to root when compared to the G1?

I see a lot of instances of people bricking it, never heard of a G1 actually being bricked just plenty warnings.

Its much easier to root the GS2. Especially compared to the original G1 methods.

I've bricked a G1. Flashed the wrong radio
    /dead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Its much easier to root the GS2. Especially compared to the original G1 methods.

I've bricked a G1. Flashed the wrong radio
    /dead

Sound, should have no problems flashing the gs2 then thanks.

• Advertisement

I installed checkROM RevoHD v4. I'm actually quite liking it. I was always a lightn'ing ROM man but due to lack of updates i changed. The thought of having to backup Apps and data and restore sounds more daunting than it actually is. You get it done fairly quick. But saying that you wouldn't want to have to do it every couple of days. Next thing on the to-do list is change the kernal. Any recomendations on which is the best for good battery life??

Sorry I haven't been online in a few days. Getting best battery life out of dark Knight 2.3. About two days with pretty heavy usage. Very happy so far!

Advertisement