Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Looks like London was decent aswell...

Goosebumps.

fawking hell. london's some spot for gigs alright, crowd always up for it. pavement in brixton academy in 2010 was one of the gigs of my life.

nearly guaranteed he'll be playing dublin's o2 next time he's back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Picked up his album today and a bit underwhelmed after the first few listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Finally got round to listening to this album, absolutely brilliant, so refreshing.
    Standout tracks for me were the recipe, money trees and black boy fly, I'll definitely be adding this to the ipod soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Temaz wrote: »
    Picked up his album today and a bit underwhelmed after the first few listens.

I'm still underwhelmed by it mate, just can't get into it bar swimming pools and one or two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Kendrick you legend haha! Never thought he'd do something like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

At least he did it as a skit and not as a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Can't understand why I never looked for a hip-hop seciton on boards before??? ha ha!!!

Anyhow, Kendrick can rap! My god, one of the most refreshing talents I've heard in a long time...

I have a very unhealthy obsession with 'Swimming Pools' and he has a few other decent tracks I've come across, The Recipe, Determined, Real & Sing about me being stand out tracks for me.

Any other songs out there worth a spin??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

All of section.80 for a start.

OD series well worth a listen too but like Conor said section 80 is a must listen !.

All of section.80 for a start.

I'll get right on that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Just get everything from the Kendrick Lamar EP to now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Kedrick Lamar mixtape by DJ Pizzo from HipHopSite is well worth a listen

https://soundcloud.com/dj-pizzo/the-arrival-of-kendrick-lamar

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mattklis

Nice mixtape, Props!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

I personally think that Good Kid MAAD City is one of the best rap albums ever. It's my favourite and I rate it over the early Eminem albums and Dr Dre's 2001. It's just amazing, the beats, the lyrics. I have listened to it over a 100 times now and I still love it. Absolutely sickened that I missed him at Vicar St. Hope he's at Oxegen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Yeah, I thought there would be a good chance that'd he play Oxegen as well, since he's playing similar festivals like T in the Park and V Festival, in the UK. However, on the weekend of Oxegen, he's playing Osheaga, in Canada, so it doesn't look likely that he'll be at Oxegen. Sorry! But you never know, there's still a small chance that he could play on the Friday in Canada and the Sunday here...

http://lineup.osheaga.com/

It's grown on me a hell of a lot in recent months. I set the bar way too high going into this debut simply because I adored section 80 and to this day I still think it's his best work to date.

It's a great album but I personally wouldn't put it up there with 2001 just yet simply because it hasn't passed the test of time yet... If I'm still banging GKMC 10 years from now just like 2001 then il put it up there with some of the best albums released.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It's grown on me a hell of a lot in recent months. I set the bar way too high going into this debut simply because I adored section 80 and to this day I still think it's his best work to date.

It's a great album but I personally wouldn't put it up there with 2001 just yet simply because it hasn't passed the test of time yet... If I'm still banging GKMC 10 years from now just like 2001 then il put it up there with some of the best albums released.

And in fairness, we all told you in this thread that was what you were doing at the time! :pac:

Still listen to it every week. Best album in absolute ages for me.

True but in fairness when you really think about it Lamar himself said it was going to be the best hip hop album released in the last 10 or 20 years which it's no where near IMO.

Napalm by xzibit and life Is good from nas are two albums I still think are better than GKMC that were released last year.

True but in fairness when you really think about it Lamar himself said it was going to be the best hip hop album released in the last 10 or 20 years which it's no where near IMO.

Napalm by xzibit and life Is good from nas are two albums I still think are better than GKMC that were released last year.

Napalm? I had pretty much wrote Xzibit off at this stage, is it worth checking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Napalm? I had pretty much wrote Xzibit off at this stage, is it worth checking out?

Yeah there's some serious bangers, louis XIII is probably the best beat dre has made in years, overall good album, never write off xzibit man I underestimated him for years then got one of his albums off a relative and became an instant fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Yes if only to hear 1983. One of the best songs I've heard in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought there would be a good chance that'd he play Oxegen as well, since he's playing similar festivals like T in the Park and V Festival, in the UK. However, on the weekend of Oxegen, he's playing Osheaga, in Canada, so it doesn't look likely that he'll be at Oxegen. Sorry! But you never know, there's still a small chance that he could play on the Friday in Canada and the Sunday here...

http://lineup.osheaga.com/

Someone mentioned the possibility of Kendrick supporting Eminem in Slane, in this thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056830030&page=16

And come to think of it, I think this is very very likely. He's playing V Festival that weekend so he's nearby and everything.

Edit: Forgot how V Festival works, you play Hylands Park one day and Weston Park on the other, so I assume Kendrick won't be at Eminem as he is England on the 17th. It appears that he is supporting Eminem in Glasgow and Paris however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

So, Kendrick has announced a World Tour for GKMC, and he's brining Jay Rock, Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q with him.

http://www.aftermathmusic.com/cms/2013/04/kendrick-lamar-good-kid-m-a-a-d-city-tour-dates-full-list/

And there is no Irish date. :( Absolutely gutted. I thought we won him over in Vicar Street in Jan.

So, Kendrick has announced a World Tour for GKMC, and he's brining Jay Rock, Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q with him.

http://www.aftermathmusic.com/cms/2013/04/kendrick-lamar-good-kid-m-a-a-d-city-tour-dates-full-list/

And there is no Irish date. :( Absolutely gutted. I thought we won him over in Vicar Street in Jan.

Oxegen maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That is some bull****. He said at the Vicar St. gig he'd be back next time.

I was really pissed off he never brought the rest of Black Hippie with him. Money Trees live with Jay Rock would be orgasmic.

I am dissapoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Sickened that he won't be in Irelnad. Scanning through the list I was convinced he'd be at Slane, who do I get mad at?

Sucks. Why would he leave us out like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Electric Picnic maybe?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's not really Kendrick or his teams fault. His mgmt team would have given promoters here details of the tour, none of the promoters have picked it up so far. It's that simple.

• Advertisement

just like the 2 lads said, great album. 1983, louis XIII, everything and stand up tall alone are great. Xzibit isnt mainstream anymore and the album got little or no attention really but its well worth a listen some great wordplay on it.

Lamar himself said life is good was the best album released last year, has to be nas's best album since god's son without a doubt because he's released a lot of rubbish since then. The album as a whole including all the bonus tracks is great imo.

Advertisement