Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I must go back and listen to it but it definitely did not make me want to re-listen to it.

It was good, and worth the money but I just didn't bother going back to it yet.

It's without a doubt his best album since gods son though. Daughters has to be one of the best singles released this year, nas address's everything that happened with kelis and recent years on the album too which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It's without a doubt his best album since gods son though. Daughters has to be one of the best singles released this year, nas address's everything that happened with kelis and recent years on the album too which I like.

True true, he even has her actual dress (well part of it) on the album cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Shyne's backtracking on his statements about GKMC being "trash" now.

"I will give you this. It's not a classic album. It's not the greatest album I ever heard. Maybe the word trash was harsh."

So I think a lot of people, including Shyne now, will agree that this album is a grower :rolleyes:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.21924/title.shyne-says-rick-ross-is-lying-talks-diddy-beef-clarifies-statement-on-kendrick-lamar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Calling it the greatest album in 10+ years gives it loads of room to grow into in fairness, but Shyne is an idiot for those comments regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Don't know if any of ye heard this other bonus track, love it personally:

• Advertisement

Noticed KL's Facebook page has been updated quite a bit this week, all of the end of year awards, lists, etc.

Pitchfork named it album of the year.
    Kendrick Lamar is the first to admit he comes on too strong. His 2011 album Section.80 was presented as a manifesto; its visionary follow-up, good kid, m.A.A.d. city, is subtitled "A Short Film By Kendrick Lamar." It's variously been described in even loftier terms: West Coast hip-hop incarnate, a morality play guided equally by Jeezy and Jesus, the most important major-label rap album in nearly a decade. It's all of those things, and after selling more than 500,000 copies in its first two months, it's safe to call it something more simple: a hit record.

Don't underestimate the importance of this last fact. Section.80 was an auspicious and promising album but it was hardly flawless. To improve, Lamar needed investments of talent, trust, and money. Without a broader belief in his vision, Kendrick doesn't repurpose his thrilling lyrical technique to vividly embody the characters who occupy these self-contained and heartfelt parables. Nor does he unify them through linear and non-linear narrative devices that turn good kid into an open-ended soundworld as vast as Compton itself but as detailed and intimate as a journal entry. And you don't assemble this roster of production and guest rappers without expecting a return on said investment: Just Blaze, Pharrell, Noah "40" Shebib, Dr. Dre, and Hit-Boy create beats that serve as living environments, lush and warm when expressing joy in the experience of music and young lust, sinister and hard when penetrated by the gang violence and abuse of South Central L.A. that remains a constant in Kendrick's life.

The merger of multifaceted storytelling and exquisite music results in a tremendous payoff on "The Art of Peer Pressure", the 12-minute stunner "Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst", and "Real," ambitious numbers that likened good kid to similar art-rap opuses like Aquemini, Black On Both Sides, and, yes, Illmatic. But the overwhelming response assures its legend is still being crafted outside the controlled environment of critical opinion. Everything that made you second-guess its "classic" attribution is the result of earned ubiquity-- overuse of "ya bish," Lady Gaga demanding "her" version of "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" be heard, dozens of Soundcloud rappers butchering the "Backseat Freestyle" beat, frat parties misconstruing the entire point of "Swimming Pools (Drank)", the debates about whether "Compton" was even necessary as a closer. Those are the cost of doing business when you ascend to this level of The Slim Shady LP, Doggystyle, or Ready to Die, records that are eternal for both their artistic achievements and their constant presence in cars, radio playlists, parties, and discussions among people who may never set eyes upon a year-end list.

Towards the end of good kid, Kendrick's mother pleads with him to "tell your story to these black and brown kids of Compton...give back with your words of encouragement." The scope of this album goes far beyond Compton, but her words serve as a fitting coda for a song where Kendrick meditates on what makes him matter. good kid gives of itself. So while the achievement is Kendrick's, the music belongs to everyone: Whether it's other rappers, industry heads, or listeners hoping for redemption after being let down by the former two, everyone can leave good kid, m.A.A.d. city dreaming of something bigger.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9017-the-top-50-albums-of-2012/5/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Im a big fan of Lemar

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gerryd2

Section 80 has more great songs than GKMC but the great songs GKMC has are some of the best songs I've heard in a long time and M.A.A.D city is one of the best songs on the album. Love the hard raps where he raps loud. The albums also picking up recognition with sales increasing again after christmas. 44k the week before last and 35k sales last week in America alone. A lot of rappers find it hard doing lifetimes sales of that nowadays so this is a great accomplishment.

Can't wait to see him on Monday, should be a great night :)

Anyone know if there'll be a supporting act tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Is there any chance of meeting Kendrick tomorrow after the show? I've never been to Vicar Street before, but I know at other venues you can sometimes meet the artist after the gig at the back of the venue or whatever.

Also, doors are open at 7:30. So what time are people thinking of going to Vicar Street at?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Anyone know if there'll be a supporting act tomorrow?

Yeah, it's Rejjie Snow (Formerly Lecs Luther).

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    Yeah, it's Rejjie Snow (Formerly Lecs Luther).

Ah cool, I've seen a few of his YouTube videos (albeit, when he was still using the Lecs Luther name), he's not bad from what I remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Ah cool, I've seen a few of his YouTube videos (albeit, when he was still using the Lecs Luther name), he's not bad from what I remember :)

well he's a tyler the creator clone now. still alright though, nothing wrong with taking some inspiration.
    https://soundcloud.com/choicecuts/rejjie-snow-lost-in-empathy

and he claimed to be captain murphy before flying lotus confirmed he was!

can't fcuking wait for this gig now. loads of people are looking for tickets, i should have bought way more than 2. i thought it would sell out on the ticket release date tbh. kendrick is blowing up and Dublin is catching him early for a change!

setlists are looking great
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kendrick-lamar/2012/palace-theatre-melbourne-australia-43da638b.html

i like that he does stuff from his first EP and a few singles that i'd never heard of. they all sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    Is there any chance of meeting Kendrick tomorrow after the show? I've never been to Vicar Street before, but I know at other venues you can sometimes meet the artist after the gig at the back of the venue or whatever.

Also, doors are open at 7:30. So what time are people thinking of going to Vicar Street at?

I'm going to go and queue from about 3

LUPE wrote: »
    I'm going to go and queue from about 3

Aiming for around 5:30 myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Aiming for around 5:30 myself...

I was joking. You're not actually are you? I'll turn up at 7:35 and stroll in

LUPE wrote: »
    I was joking. You're not actually are you? I'll turn up at 7:35 and stroll in

Yeah will be there for 5:30-6:00 hopefully. It's sold out so there'll be a more than a few ahead of me and I want to try and get as close to the front as possible. Wouldn't do it usually but for Game, Kendrick and a couple of others I'll queue early, especially when it's a small venue like Vicar Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Yeah will be there for 5:30-6:00 hopefully. It's sold out so there'll be a more than a few ahead of me and I want to try and get as close to the front as possible. Wouldn't do it usually but for Game, Kendrick and a couple of others I'll queue early, especially when it's a small venue like Vicar Street.

You actually serious? Will Vicar Street even let you in then. It's not Slane, there's no pit passes to give out! You're male I presume, just saunter in when you want and push yourself to the front if you really want to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Anyone know the stage times?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

After being aware this gig is on, and getting a bit excited about it, i've completely forgot to sort of tickets!

Getting my finger out to see what I can do.

You actually serious? Will Vicar Street even let you in then. It's not Slane, there's no pit passes to give out! You're male I presume, just saunter in when you want and push yourself to the front if you really want to get there.

I've been to a lot of Hip-Hop gigs but never in Vicar Street so not sure what the place is like or if there will be pit? Personally I just really like being at the very front and seeing whoever it is literally a couple of feet from you. I don't mind waiting in line if it's someone I really like, it makes all the difference for me on the night.

2qi0cch.jpg

I don't know what the queue for Kendrick will be like, I'll try and head down about an hour before gates open anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Apparently Kendrick's on around 9.20, support at 8.30.

No chance of me getting there early so hopefully I'll be able to find my way to the front when I get in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Have fun everyone! Jelly I can't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Just checked in to vicar street , this should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Well that was deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

That was absolutely ****ing brilliant.

That was the first gig I went to by myself and I will definitely be doing it more. Was supposed to go with 2 mates who work in a hotel and they got called in unexpectedly this afternoon for a graveyard shift, I said to myself **** THAHT! I'm not missing Kendrick in Dublin, who knows when I'll get to see him again. So I grabbed a naggin, hit the dart and let it happen. I am someone who inevitably gets separated from the group at concerts anyway, mainly because I don't enjoy acting like a dickhead, this includes barging my way to the front past people who got their before me, so really it wasn't that different. Apart from a lonely pint before Rejjie Snow came on there was very little difference to any other concert.

Now onto Kendrick. He was amazing. I loved the setlist, working all 3 projects in and "testing" us regularly. He seemed to be pleasantly surprised with the knowledge of lyrics by the crowd.

mufcboy1999, do you still hate Backseat Freestyle? Because that track TOOK THE ****ING ROOF OFF. By far the most energetic moment, m.A.A.d City was hype too but Backseat really translates well to a live gig.

Hol' Up is a personal favourite of mine so I was delighted with that. The Recipe and West Side Right On Time were class and Swimming Pools was a great way to end it.

Absolutely buzzing after that. So good. I've a few videos I'm gonna squish together and put on youtube.

I knew it was going to be good but tonight Kendrick exceeded all my expectations.

We got there at around 7:30, there were plenty of people ahead of us in the queue inside but somehow I managed to get a place at the very front of the crowd right in front of center of the stage, couldn't have asked for a better view.

Kendrick absolutely killed it, he couldn't have done a better job tonight. The crowd loved him and he loved the crowd. He kept everyone happy, performing songs from Overly Dedicated, Section.80 and GKMC. The set list was brilliant from start to finish. Highlights (off the top of my head) include ADHD, Money Trees, The Recipe and m.A.A.d. City. I was surprised he did Look Out For Detox, really enjoyed that too. Everyone lost their minds when Backseat Freestyle came on, crazy reaction from the crowd with Kendrick running around the stage, absolutely brilliant performance.

Kendrick said thanks to the crowd, I just then realized he hadn't performed Cartoons & Cereal and he left the stage. I was slightly disappointed for a minute before the crowd started demanding one more song and then the unmistakable intro came on and he ran back out and gave one final, crazy performance. That was probably the highlight of the night for me, I can't get over how energetic and adrenaline-filled the entire performance was.

Amazing, brilliant, unforgettable night.

6iuvdu.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement