Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Seriously? I am not bringing either of those to a gig. What is the likelyhood of being stopped and asked? (i have not been asked in years)

I'd bring some form of ID. I've been asked at every gig I've ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Seriously? I am not bringing either of those to a gig. What is the likelyhood of being stopped and asked? (i have not been asked in years)

On a separate note some people need to re-listen to section.80 it has an interconnected story. It even has a narrator.

Some spots accept photocopied passports, i know it sounds a bit thick but i got away with it a couple of times over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 akeating

I'll be 18 like 3 weeks after that gig, **** sake. Only option is to bring a fake ID so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I'd bring some form of ID.

I have nothing with my age on it besides passport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

oh yes sorry everyone knows dre puts out albums for fun
    I Need A Doctor, Under Pressure, Turn Me On, Mr. Prescription, Chillin'...

Not an album but music is music and most of the music that Dre's released/leaked over the last 3-4 years has been awful, he's lucky he didn't release all of them officially, his legacy would have been ruined.
    young money cant hold a candle to eminem in terms of everything, you know eminem could release a mixtape that would sell better than just about anyone and he doesnt have birdman buying his artists records :D
    Lil Wayne sells more albums than Eminem and clearly Drake doesn't do too bad either. Why are we talking about sales though? What do they have to do with anything we're talking about? Just jumping at the chance to slate Young Money at any opportunity. You seem to have a bit of an obsession with them, for someone that claims to hate everyone associated with the label you talk about them an awful lot.

whats pretty stupid is your claim pharrell is as popular as he use to be, really are you serious? pharrell had the producing game on lock with the clipse, jay z etc that was years ago. He had a disaster with the red album, look at how bad that flopped and sounded , game was waiting to 2 years to get a song worthy of a single and guess who was in charge? His music has took an incredible hit, dont be stupid.
    Pharrell's ventured outside of hip-hop in recent years though - fair enough he doesn't have as many Billboard hit singles as he used to but the vast majority of his recent production (a lot of it nothing to do with hip-hop) has been very good IMO (unlike Dre). Agree that Game and Pharrell were a bit of a mis-match though, their sounds don't really work together IMO and I think they'd agree with that too, seeing as only 1 Pharrell track made the final cut of The RED Album.

Also, you think Game's album was a disaster and it flopped but it actually received mostly positive reviews and debuted at #1 on The Billboard charts?

The R.E.D. Album received generally mixed to positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a weighted mean rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 61, based on 16 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews."

Think your emotions are getting the better of you here with all the Game bashing. You're really digging deep for something. And all of this is coming from the same person that thinks BISD is better than GRODT? That alone makes your opinion on rap music totally worthless.
    you tell me, you seem to be the one bashing them both.
    I'm not bashing them, I'm being honest. You're the one that said "even their worse material does better than drake's best commercial wise" - what are you basing this on? And what songs/albums are you referring to when you say "worst material"?
    First time for everything though, all in recent years. My point is they dont need features like a game, rick ross etc they make their own buzz, sell records on their own names,they've all built their own brands etc. Aftermath through the years was indeed in house, whatever about now tbh its about time they collabed with other artists but its not as if they have too.

Are you joking? Look at the artists that Eminem's collaborated with over the last few years - Drake, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Pink, Skylar Grey, B.O.B., Akon... He's always worked with artists outside of Aftermath. You slate all of the Young Money artists for selling out and sounding too "pop" and when Eminem does the exact same thing you don't have a problem with it?

At the end of the day, a Pharrell beat and a Drake verse made Kendrick's album. I've yet to hear anyone criticize either of the tracks they contributed to - I actually think they've both been universally praised?

You can be sure that Dre and Kendrick made a lot of tracks together for his album - they obviously didn't fit the theme or just weren't good enough, otherwise they would have made the final cut. Don't think I need to explain why a post-rehab Eminem collab could never be considered for GKMC.

• Advertisement

Regarding ID for Vicar Street, I've never been there but I'd bring ID just in case. I went to see The Game at The Ambassador a few years ago and the security there made an announcement to everyone waiting in line that if they didn't have ID they wouldn't be getting in. I was one of the first in line and had to ring my mate who was on the bus on the way in and tell him to go back home and to my house and get both our passports. I know lads in their twenties that have been refused entry because they had no proof of age so my advice is to bring something with you.
    akeating wrote: »
    I'll be 18 like 3 weeks after that gig, **** sake. Only option is to bring a fake ID so?
    Yeah get a passport from one your mates, one that looks similar to you if at all possible.
    Bring your passport then.

So bring that. It's usually what I use whenever I go to gigs.

I can bring the passport, don't particularly want to. Suppose I have to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Long form birth cert? Nobody in their right mind should accept that. Gov issued picture ID should be the only safe bet - passport, age card or driving licence I think ate the only acceptable ones AFAIK.

Then again can't remember last time I was id'd. A receding hair line will do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Was only joking about the birth cert lads

• Advertisement

Musically GKMC is miles better than section.80 I will definitely give it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭madmandaniel

i still prefer Section 80 mostly because i loved the more melodic and ambient beats such as "Hol' Up" , "Poe Mans Dreams" "Dont Blow My High" and **** like that but still GKMC is an incredible album, the stories he tells are just dope nobody in todays game has his repertoire of flows, deliveries and just amazing thought provoking content

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Absolutely pumped about the concert. Vicar Street seems an odd venue, but honestly if this was being held at a post office I would still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FJamel

His show should be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FJamel

Dre doesnt put out music that much so that opinion is invalid, his beats have been under-par but what producer's are not from time to time?

If eminem put out a blank cd in the morning it would sell more than young money aswell as sound better to be perfectly honest.

Do you even pay attention to pharrells work? if you think dre has declined multiply it times 100 for him. Drake releases pop/r'n'b he isnt hip hop no matter how much you think he is.

my point eminem and dre havnt released anything in the last few years to judge them on other you need a doctor which was ruined by a stupid hook, even their worse material does better than drake's best commercial wise.

has it ever crossed your mind that eminem and dre arnt sluts whoring themselves around featuring on other rappers songs? Aftermath has always being in house, even at the height of their success.

Nah, they just aren't good anymore. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

FJamel wrote: »
    Nah, they just aren't good anymore. It happens.

true id agree but in fairness eminem hasnt released an album in nearly 3 years and dre in over a decade. 2001 is a classic, one of the best ever made and well recovery imo was a good come back album despite what some here think.

your only as good as your last effort.

Whatever about Dre, I think Eminem has lost it.

Whatever about Dre, I think Eminem has lost it.

Imo this next album will dictate how he is remembered*. You can't have 3 crap albums in a career and still be remembered as one of the GOAT.

*by hip-hop fans, I am sure he will get 12 more grammies and get nominated into the hall of fame hall of fame and will still be everyones favorite rapper (just because). Also yes there was the d12 albums, and BME and Infinite etc but Infinite was a collage of other peoples styles and BME has been some of both of their lesser stuff.

You can't have 3 crap albums in a career and still be remembered as one of the GOAT.

He will be, he has 2 of the highest selling hip hop albums of all time under his belt, he's bigger than any rapper could ever claim to be, even if his next album is shít he'll still go down in history.

I personally dont have high hopes for his next album, if he wants it to be a good solid album he needs to stop shouting about stupid shít and stop the horrible commercially aimed hooks that he can do without.

Imo this next album will dictate how he is remembered*. You can't have 3 crap albums in a career and still be remembered as one of the GOAT.

*by hip-hop fans, I am sure he will get 12 more grammies and get nominated into the hall of fame hall of fame and will still be everyones favorite rapper (just because). Also yes there was the d12 albums, and BME and Infinite etc but Infinite was a collage of other peoples styles and BME has been some of both of their lesser stuff.

To me, Eminem is an icon, but like most icons, there was a time for him when he was most relevant, and that time has passed. I remember when he came out, there was this big moral panic about children and parents were scared of figures like Eminem (kinda in a similar way to how people were afraid of Elvis when he first appeared, or when punk started to infiltrate the mainstream, I guess). He was so in your face and fearless and unapologetic and his nerve resonated with a lot of people, while also scaring the sh*t out of plenty of others. I don't think music had seen a personality like him in a long time up until that point, and it just really shook popular culture up. Since then, the world has kinda moved on. Eminem is no longer relevant in the way that he was, and furthermore, it seems like he doesn't really give a sh*t either.

• Advertisement

I know, I love old eminem. I also know he will go down as the highest selling rapper.

But you can't have nearly half of your albums be terrible and still be GOAT (GOAT not highest selling or "the one most people know") His next album will essentially dictate whether he was a rapper of a certain era or whether he can make consistent music outside of a 5-6 year timeframe and without drugs.

He will always be considered as an icon/one of the GOAT because his first 2 albums were so groundbreaking and obviously because he's white. His last few albums have been awful but when someone goes away people tend to remember the good things about them as opposed to the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

To this day eminem would potentially rap circles around your favourite rapper, there are lots out there who think recovery is good, the shouting to me showed hunger and passion.

Kendrick Lamar on 3E now on the Conan show.

Eminem is not even rapping circles around Royce (nothing against Royce, it is just that he is not even the best rapper in Detroit atm never mind the best in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Eminems recovery album is the best hip hop album over the last 3-4 years IMO.

Kendric does well but eminem is superior imo.

His not hype, he is the real deal and deserves to sell bucket loads as he is one of the best rappers to ever grace this planet.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

He will be, he has 2 of the highest selling hip hop albums of all time under his belt, he's bigger than any rapper could ever claim to be, even if his next album is shít he'll still go down in history.

I personally dont have high hopes for his next album, if he wants it to be a good solid album he needs to stop shouting about stupid shít and stop the horrible commercially aimed hooks that he can do without.

Can people please shut up about sales in arguing whether so and so is any good or not.

According to Wikipedia MC Hammer has the 5th highest selling hip-hop album in the states ever.

Illmatic isn't even on the list.

Pharoah Monch will never come close to selling as half as many records over his career as Vanilla Ice did with his first album.

Think about that next time you wanna spout on about sales to support your arguments about an artists quality. And then don't.

replied in bold

The ****?

Of course it's opinion. It's a discussion board about music. The quality of music is subjective, so anytime you talk about it, it's opinion.

And don't take things so seriously where I have to qualify everything.

Firstly I was paraphrasing somebody else, and most right minded people did think eiminem's last stuff has been pants.

I must have forgotten to take the views of everybody else into account tho.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Can this thread please get back on the subject of Kendrick Lamar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

floggg wrote: »
    The ****?

Of course it's opinion. It's a discussion board about music. The quality of music is subjective, so anytime you talk about it, it's opinion.

And don't take things so seriously where I have to qualify everything.

Firstly I was paraphrasing somebody else, and most right minded people did think eiminem's last stuff has been pants.

I must have forgotten to take the views of everybody else into account tho.

You go about it as facts though and u stated everyone yes everyone did not like eminems last album including me lmao.

Fact is, there was many flaws in your post and i just highlighted them :)

in regards to Kenrick, he is great and u guys are lucky to see him at dublin

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    Can people please shut up about sales in arguing whether so and so is any good or not.

According to Wikipedia MC Hammer has the 5th highest selling hip-hop album in the states ever.

Illmatic isn't even on the list.

Pharoah Monch will never come close to selling as half as many records over his career as Vanilla Ice did with his first album.

Think about that next time you wanna spout on about sales to support your arguments about an artists quality. And then don't.

can people please shut up telling people what to shut up about?

I used sales as support in my argument, it's quite clearly a valid thing to use in an argument about who will be remembered as the GOAT not who is the GOAT. I'm not arguing that he is, i dont believe he is, but I'm sure there are many out there that will argue that he is.

Kendrick wont go down as one of the GOATS even if he wants to, he hasnt made a massive impact on the scene out of his 2 albums and he seems to be more of a cult rapper if you ask me, you either like him, have no feelings for him or literally have no idea who he is.

Advertisement