Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

I listened to the album in full both last night and this morning ,

its ok , it just isn't jumping out at me the way Section 80 did first time I heard it
    (what does really annoy me on the album is all the snippets and interludes ...........I don't want to hear a grandfather moaning about where his domino pizza is )etc

I'm sure it will grow on me ,
    at first listen its a 6/10 for me

I expected better , and was hoping for this to be album of the year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Lazy. Yeah. NWA, Snoop, Eminem, 50 cent, Game oh and the dozens of artists he tried to help but just couldn't sell enough. Not to mention him reviving dozen of others careers. You might have also heard of his 2 solo albums, they did not sell much or have much of an impact they were very lazy efforts. 2 labels, high selling headphones, deal with HTC and HP.

Big difference between being lazy and being a perfectionist and picky.

...can you not read? Why are you talking about NWA and Snoop? I'm talking him being lazy RECENTLY, which everyone, bar people on this site who are obsessed with him, would agree with.

Admittedly he has sold a lot of very mediocre headphones for extortionate prices to a lot of very stupid people recently. ;)

I couldnt be bothered arguing with this fella, best thing is too Ignore him lads he still thinks he's modding around here. Respect my authority Cartman type posts. :D

For someone so determined to ignore me you keep talking about me in your posts...very peculiar.

As an aside, I'm waiting for people to back up their deranged judgements from the snippets, how the album is 'commercial', a disappointment like Cole's album etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Orizio wrote: »
    ...can you not read? Why are you talking about NWA and Snoop? I'm talking him being lazy RECENTLY, which everyone, bar people on this site who are obsessed with him, would agree with.

Admittedly he has sold a lot of very mediocre headphones for extortionate prices to a lot of very stupid people recently. ;)

I'm not sure if there's any posters here obsessed with him. personally i'm not even a fan, i'd be one of his biggest critics on this forum, i dont like him as a rapper and as a producer he'd be nowhere near the top of my list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm gonna give it a listen tonight.

Interestingly, I met a lad from the US the other night and was talking to him about Kendrick and he said that he's not half as popular in the US as he seems to be in Europe. He said he's met more people here talking about Kendrick than he has at home, he only knows a handful of people who have any interest in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

It's crazy how much Kendrick sounds like Andre 3000 circa ATLiens-Aquemini on the intro, from the storytelling, imagery, even his delivery

Actually, a lot of this album reminds me of Aquemini, with the extended skits at the end of most tracks

I've only listened to it once, and it was one hell of a listen!
    I love the way Backseat Freestyle, which, to me, in the context of the album, is Kendrick just freestyling for his crew as a kid, and then The Art of Peer Pressure comes in and builds on that.

As a poster said, this is an ALBUM, not something you stick on shuffle, this needs to be played front to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

baddebt wrote: »
    I listened to the album in full both last night and this morning ,

its ok , it just isn't jumping out at me the way Section 80 did first time I heard it
    (what does really annoy me on the album is all the snippets and interludes ...........I don't want to hear a grandfather moaning about where his domino pizza is )etc

I'm sure it will grow on me ,
    at first listen its a 6/10 for me

I expected better , and was hoping for this to be album of the year ,

+1 , i feel pretty much the same atm.

I feel a bit let down by it though and there's no point in just backing KL up just for the sake of being a fan. KL has been my favourite rapper for some time now dating back to when i started this thread and that was before section 80, to me its a let down and tbh the album isnt fit to lace section 80s boots everything from his lryics, flow, substance etc have all been under-par.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I'm talking him being lazy RECENTLY, which everyone, bar people on this site who are obsessed with him, would agree with.
    I'd probably be one of his biggest critics around here but he is not lazy in any sense of the word, his focus is just not on the music anymore, he's more interested in his headphone business and, evidently, it's working out pretty well for him, so who could blame him? Lazy people don't get to the top of the Forbes list.
    Admittedly he has sold a lot of very mediocre headphones for extortionate prices to a lot of very stupid people recently
    Relax.. that's just good business, which is what Dre is focusing on these days.
    Interestingly, I met a lad from the US the other night and was talking to him about Kendrick and he said that he's not half as popular in the US as he seems to be in Europe. He said he's met more people here talking about Kendrick than he has at home, he only knows a handful of people who have any interest in him.
    Never would have thought that. Not too many of my mates know who he is and those that do probably heard about him from me. He hasn't had a big debut single like Em, 50, Game, etc., it'll be interesting to see what kind of first week numbers he does.

Kendrick brought out Game and Dre at his show in LA last night, really can't wait to see him perform live next time he's in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

album of the year imo, and i think its better than s80

agree with the similarities to aquemini aswell..

tracks i dont like are backseat and the drake tune..hate the ****

9/10 for me

hopefully if it does well jigga will finally release jay electronica

Paul1979 wrote: »
    album of the year imo, and i think its better than s80

agree with the similarities to aquemini aswell..

tracks i dont like are backseat and the drake tune..hate the ****

9/10 for me

hopefully if it does well jigga will finally release jay electronica

Those are both pretty good imo. The Mary J Blige track stands out a little, doesn't really fit in with the LP as a whole. Cartoons & Cereal should be on there as well imo, one of his best tracks ever.

Kendrick is basically the Andre 3000 of the West. Can't give much bigger of a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Keeping a record label running. Starting a very very lucrative business and doing a deal with a large PC manufacturer, a phone company and getting the 2pac hologram on coachella.

That is not lazy, that is not producing as much as you used to do. You must be very productive.

Oh that was 2011 and 2012, and that is not mentioning all he did with KL and others whether they are or ever will be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just had a listen through there.

Really enjoyed it. Normally hate skits at the end of songs but I enjoyed all of them on this, "Wheres my muthafukin dominoes?"

m.A.A.d city, Bitch Dant Kill My Vibe and Money Trees stood out as amazing for me, didn't really like Poetic Justice and I'm someone who normally likes Drake. Still obsessed with The Art of Peer Pressure, love the extended intro. That and Swimming Pools are probably the strongest tracks on the album.

Great album. Anyone who feels let down must have just expected far too much as that is as solid an album as you will come across these days.

Went into HMV Grafton Street earlier this afternoon only to find out that the CD doesn't go on sale until Tuesday? No idea why this is, every album I've bought for the last few years has always been released on the Friday :mad:

Day = ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

That's strange, was gonna D/L it later cos usually in Ireland we get them a few days before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

If the other tracks are even half as good as art of peer pressure and swimming pools it will be a good album. Just pre-ordered on itunes anyway.

Great album. Anyone who feels let down must have just expected far too much as that is as solid an album as you will come across these days.

can you blame people though? number 1 section 80 is a project worthy of marking a new era/sound in hip hop... it made people really take notice of lamar and black hippy, it set the bar anything below it is going to be looked at as a failure... victim of his own mixtape success just like cole. This is what happens when artists give away album material deemed as mixtapes.

number 2, lamar himself said it was going to be the best hip hop album the past 20 years, now well wheter thats hype/promotion or not, its a hell of a thing to say... its not even album of the year infact it isnt even album of the month and thats being honest and this is coming from a huge fan who's being listining to his music since the kendrick lamar EP a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

can you blame people though? number 1 section 80 is a project worthy of marking a new era/sound in hip hop... it made people really take notice of lamar and black hippy, it set the bar anything below it is going to be looked at as a failure... victim of his own mixtape success just like cole. This is what happens when artists give away album material deemed as mixtapes.

number 2, lamar himself said it was going to be the best hip hop album the past 20 years, now well wheter thats hype/promotion or not, its a hell of a thing to say... its not even album of the year infact it isnt even album of the month and thats being honest and this is coming from a huge fan who's being listining to his music since the kendrick lamar EP a few years ago.

You are overreacting. Like, really overreacting.

Mr. Rager wrote: »

how? im not saying its a bad album but at the same time it isnt anything special by any means at all. They'll be a few arguing different, i guess thats each to their own but nobody can turn around and say this is anywhere near section 80 and mean it.

ye there's bangers on it but im sorry if your going to give us a 12 cut album and call it the best album in 20 years you'd want to bringing a lot more to the table. Everything from production to lryics have taken a hit so obvious to anyone who's followed lamar from the start or even just gave section 80 a few rotations.

xzibits napalm album is actually better than this imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Kendrick seriously upped his hook game on here, his rapping on beat has improved as-well

I'm loving the story throughout the album, really makes you feel like your in a day in the life of a dude from Compton, especially with the skits

Kendrick is four from four at this stage. Basically GKMC, the Kendrick Lamar EP and Section 80 are 9/10 LPs and OD is 8/10. Impressive consistency.

Indeed. From what I've read on forums over the last few days the consensus is that this is the best LP this year along with LIG and maybe F&L2, and that this is on par with S80. I can imagine this being the most critically acclaimed Hip-Hop album of the year as well, reviewers are going to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Which is better? Nas's album or Kendricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Have you listened to both? What's your opinion?

Mine is that Kendrick's is better.

Indeed. From what I've read on forums over the last few days the consensus is that this is the best LP this year along with LIG and maybe F&L2, and that this is on par with S80. I can imagine this being the most critically acclaimed Hip-Hop album of the year as well, reviewers are going to love it.

Look who's going by the forums now ! :D... The same forums call officer ricky Ross the best rapper alive , get real for once would you.

Ofcourse it's going to get the plaudits , it doesnt take a genius to figure that one out. it's a good album but the ratings will mainly stem from the bandwagon, it's no where near a classic or for that matter even a great album.

If you really think this is on par with section 80 your away with the clouds or just straight up lying jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Again with the Nas comparisons? jesus christ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Look who's going by the forums now ! :D... The same forums call officer ricky Ross the best rapper alive , get real for once would you.

Ofcourse it's going to get the plaudits , it doesnt take a genius to figure that one out. it's a good album but the ratings will mainly stem from the bandwagon, it's no where near a classic or for that matter even a great album.

If you really think this is on par with section 80 your away with the clouds or just straight up lying jumping on the bandwagon.

The same bandwagon that you were a part of until last week when you read someone say the album wouldn't be good and now Kendrick isn't cool anymore?

Honestly mate up until last week you bigging Lamar up like he was the best rapper out, then it's like you flipped a switch and now he ain't all that and your mocking people who think he is.

It's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It's better than Nas' album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Decent album, will grow more on me...3.5/5 atm. Nowhere near my top 5 of the year so far though.

Advertisement