Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Look who's going by the forums now ! :D... The same forums call officer ricky Ross the best rapper alive , get real for once would you.

Ofcourse it's going to get the plaudits , it doesnt take a genius to figure that one out. it's a good album but the ratings will mainly stem from the bandwagon, it's no where near a classic or for that matter even a great album.

If you really think this is on par with section 80 your away with the clouds or just straight up lying jumping on the bandwagon.

Please go back to ignoring me - thank you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Look who's going by the forums now ! :D... The same forums call officer ricky Ross the best rapper alive , get real for once would you.

Ofcourse it's going to get the plaudits , it doesnt take a genius to figure that one out. it's a good album but the ratings will mainly stem from the bandwagon, it's no where near a classic or for that matter even a great album.

If you really think this is on par with section 80 your away with the clouds or just straight up lying jumping on the bandwagon.
    Orizio wrote: »
    Please go back to ignoring me - thank you.

This is getting a little silly now....and a bit personal as well. Please keep the discussion civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The same bandwagon that you were a part of until last week when you read someone say the album wouldn't be good and now Kendrick isn't cool anymore?

Honestly mate up until last week you bigging Lamar up like he was the best rapper out, then it's like you flipped a switch and now he ain't all that and your mocking people who think he is.

It's weird.

where did i say lamar wasnt cool anymore? where did i say he wasnt the best rapper out right now? where did i say anything other than the fact this album isnt what it should of been...

dont get all butt hurt about my opinion on the album, im arguably one of his bigger fans on the forum. Im not judging his career by this album because in truth thats what your trying to make it look like, Iv followed him for years, praised him for years and now i come out with my first bit of negative feedback and im getting made out like a hater of some kind.

do me a favor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Again with the Nas comparisons? jesus christ....

answer teh question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The same bandwagon that you were a part of until last week when you read someone say the album wouldn't be good and now Kendrick isn't cool anymore?

Honestly mate up until last week you bigging Lamar up like he was the best rapper out, then it's like you flipped a switch and now he ain't all that and your mocking people who think he is.

It's weird.

Unfortunately this is what happens when people make ridiculous judgments on a album that they haven't even heard, pride dictates that even when they are proven incorrect they have to follow on with their nonsense.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »

Unfortunately this is what happens when people make ridiculous judgments on a album that they haven't even heard, pride dictates that even when they are proven incorrect they have to follow on with their nonsense.

Someone please tell me this fella isn't serious, is he even aware the album was leaked?

Orzio seems to be the one who hasnt listened to the album but has somehow managed to gather an opinion about it from a blog site :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

where did i say lamar wasnt cool anymore? where did i say he wasnt the best rapper out right now? where did i say anything other than the fact this album isnt what it should of been...

dont get all butt hurt about my opinion on the album, im arguably one of his bigger fans on the forum. Im not judging his career by this album because in truth thats what your trying to make it look like, Iv followed him for years, praised him for years and now i come out with my first bit of negative feedback and im getting made out like a hater of some kind.

do me a favor :rolleyes:

You didn't say those things but you implied them. Saying the album will do well no matter what it's like because of the Kendrick Lamar bandwagon is a ridiculous thing to say for a huge fan of his, like you are.

And don't go using workaholics quotes on me, I'm not butthurt at all, just pointing out the attitude you've had since last week has been really loose butthole.

You didn't say those things but you implied them. Saying the album will do well no matter what it's like because of the Kendrick Lamar bandwagon is a ridiculous thing to say for a huge fan of his, like you are.

And don't go using workaholics quotes on me, I'm not butthurt at all, just pointing out the attitude you've had since last week has been really loose butthole.

No I never implied any of them , your putting words in my mouth by simply trying to back up orzio who clearly doesn't have a clue the album even leaked hence me being able to form an opinion over it.

Orzio is a bitter and ignorant poster who comes on from time to time trying to lay his opinion down like its law forgetting he's not a mod anymore so there's no point in fighting his losing battle.

As sad as it sounds ,In truth you were upset about my FIFA comments a few weeks ago and since have tried to get my attention on more than one occasion, the fact you have to resort to making stuff up is desperate.

For the record Not once did i ever imply KL wasn't cool anymore or wasn't the best rapper out right now! Pure lies and you know it just to make yourself look like you know what your talking about.

My bandwagon opinion is a valid one and his popularity will influence the rating of this album. J Coles debut was number 1 on the charts and deemed a classic amongst many blogs and sites receiving great ratings and the truth is it wasn't a great album. Lamars situation is identical but his album is a little better but it's still not anything amazing like section 80 was, that's all I ever said. Oh and yes I did say xzibits album was better because it actually is, that's not hating its called an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

That's a nice track, had it on replay last night.

• Advertisement

No I never implied any of them , your putting words in my mouth by simply trying to back up orzio who clearly doesn't have a clue the album even leaked hence me being able to form an opinion over it.

Orzio is a bitter and ignorant poster who comes on from time to time trying to lay his opinion down like its law forgetting he's not a mod anymore so there's no point in fighting his losing battle.

As sad as it sounds ,In truth you were upset about my FIFA comments a few weeks ago and since have tried to get my attention on more than one occasion, the fact you have to resort to making stuff up is desperate.

For the record Not once did i ever imply KL wasn't cool anymore or wasn't the best rapper out right now! Pure lies and you know it just to make yourself look like you know what your talking about.

My bandwagon opinion is a valid one and his popularity will influence the rating of this album. J Coles debut was number 1 on the charts and deemed a classic amongst many blogs and sites receiving great ratings and the truth is it wasn't a great album. Lamars situation is identical but his album is a little better but it's still not anything amazing like section 80 was, that's all I ever said. Oh and yes I did say xzibits album was better because it actually is, that's not hating its called an opinion.

I'll stop you right there, I don't know who Orizo is, I don't know the point he is trying to make, I haven't been reading your discussion as from the outside looking in it looks like playground stuff. You've totally fabricated that I have somehow sided with him which is just paranoia. That's weird.

As for me being upset about your posts in the FIFA forum? Get over yourself. I take every post I read at face value and it seemed to me like you decided last week this album was no use and those who thought it was were bandwagoners. That's all. I may have been wrong, but that's how I saw it.

You have this messed up idea that everyone follows you around the forums trying to pick fights, the reality is, half the time you make normal posts, half the time you act like a muppet, nobody is looking out for you to call you out, BELIEVE ME, it just so happens you give your own opinion far more value than that of others, and be that in here, the FIFA forum or the United thread, people are not going to like that and pull you up on it.

I doubt you've even read this far without starting another post about how I'm this and that, so I don't know why I've bothered. But there it is. Have you ever wondered why almost every thread you post in involved a big long winded argument? I suppose that's everyone else's fault?

Was The Heart pt.3 a throwaway from the album? Shame if so. Great track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Not really. Most reviewers ranged it from 3 to 4 stars, didn't hear of anyone deeming it a classic. Most called it a pretty solid debut from Cole, nothing spectacular. I, like yourself, was pretty disappointed with it after his mixtapes. GKMC is a completely different ball game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't get the comparisons to Cole. KL is far better.

I'll stop you right there, I don't know who Orizo is, I don't know the point he is trying to make, I haven't been reading your discussion as from the outside looking in it looks like playground stuff. You've totally fabricated that I have somehow sided with him which is just paranoia. That's weird.

As for me being upset about your posts in the FIFA forum? Get over yourself. I take every post I read at face value and it seemed to me like you decided last week this album was no use and those who thought it was were bandwagoners. That's all. I may have been wrong, but that's how I saw it.

You have this messed up idea that everyone follows you around the forums trying to pick fights, the reality is, half the time you make normal posts, half the time you act like a muppet, nobody is looking out for you to call you out, BELIEVE ME, it just so happens you give your own opinion far more value than that of others, and be that in here, the FIFA forum or the United thread, people are not going to like that and pull you up on it.

I doubt you've even read this far without starting another post about how I'm this and that, so I don't know why I've bothered. But there it is. Have you ever wondered why almost every thread you post in involved a big long winded argument? I suppose that's everyone else's fault?

Was The Heart pt.3 a throwaway from the album? Shame if so. Great track.

bottom line is you are wrong, i never said or implied anything that you said i did. All that was said was i felt this album was a let down and imo no where near the level of section 80 everything from production to lryics have taken a hit. If you dont like my opinion deal with it and move on and dont resort to making stuff up and picking up from where orzio left off.
    Not really. Most reviewers ranged it from 3 to 4 stars, didn't hear of anyone deeming it a classic. Most called it a pretty solid debut from Cole, nothing spectacular. I, like yourself, was pretty disappointed with it after his mixtapes. GKMC is a completely different ball game.

i heard a lot of people deeming it a classic debut including cole himself. GKMC is as similar as it gets both artists created a huge buzz and fan bases via mixtapes, both ended up getting record deals and failing to produce albums their talent warrants. Obvioulsy GKMC is up for debate but like i said it doesnt hold a candle to section 80 or "the greatest hip hop album in the last 20 years" as lamar put it.
    I don't get the comparisons to Cole. KL is far better.

the reason their comparable is that above, the 2 were the biggest mixtape artists around both hailed as the future of hip hop hence the collab album thats going to come sooner or later. I agree KL is better rapper but cole's a lot more versatile as an artist overall through his production etc.

bottom line is you are wrong, i never said or implied anything that you said i did. All that was said was i felt this album was a let down and imo no where near the level of section 80 everything from production to lryics have taken a hit. If you dont like my opinion deal with it and move on and dont resort to making stuff up and picking up from where orzio left off.

And I acknowledged that I might be wrong, apparently I was wrong about your attitude towards Kendrick Lamar, fair enough. No need to accuse me of making things up I never said anything about you as fact, unlike you did when you told me the "sad truth" was that I was upset about your FIFA opinion. That was made up. As was me conspiring with Orizo for some reason. So that was pretty hypocritical of you. This is going nowhere fast so I'll leave it with this question:

Did you like Section 80 from day one? Did you listen to it and immediately proclaim it as a classic? If you did then fair play to you, but I know for myself and a hell of a lot of posters on here didn't. If Lamar's previous project was a grower, that grew into a classic, would it not be silly to decide his new albums' fate after a week?

I've now had 3 run-through's of it and I can honestly say I like it more each time. Money Trees a bloody excellent track and one I didn't think much of the first go around is now the one I come back to every time.

And I acknowledged that I might be wrong, apparently I was wrong about your attitude towards Kendrick Lamar, fair enough. No need to accuse me of making things up I never said anything about you as fact, unlike you did when you told me the "sad truth" was that I was upset about your FIFA opinion. That was made up. As was me conspiring with Orizo for some reason. So that was pretty hypocritical of you. This is going nowhere fast so I'll leave it with this question:

Did you like Section 80 from day one? Did you listen to it and immediately proclaim it as a classic? If you did then fair play to you, but I know for myself and a hell of a lot of posters on here didn't. If Lamar's previous project was a grower, that grew into a classic, would it not be silly to decide his new albums' fate after a week?

I've now had 3 run-through's of it and I can honestly say I like it more each time. Money Trees a bloody excellent track and one I didn't think much of the first go around is now the one I come back to every time.

It took me eight months to like Section 80, no exaggeration. It just clicked for me one day. GKMC hasn't even been officially released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

The bickering is very tedious

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

bigpoppa wrote: »
    The bickering is very tedious

Agreed, keep it on the subject of Kendrick Lemar, or don't post. There is not need to dig up discussions from another thread here, or to make personal remarks.

Anything further with the bickering and I'll start infracting or banning.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Agreed, keep it on the subject of Kendrick Lemar, or don't post. There is not need to dig up discussions from another thread here, or to make personal remarks.

Anything further with the bickering and I'll start infracting or banning.

fair enough that was my fault dragging up the other thread.

look granted i did go off track because you appeared to be putting words in my mouth in which was starting to look like a bit of a witch hunt you said you were wrong about it, thats grand im sorry too for my part. :)

go back to the start of this thread and read my posts, i instantly fell in love with section 80. Iv been praising it as a modern classic for some time now. Im not saying GKMC is a bad album at all, its decent alright but it just doesnt stand out the same way section 80 did mainly due to the fact KL ditched his original production team for more commercially known one's and at the same time while doing that left out the legend that is dre.

Substance/story wise its also lacking imo and like i said i was expecting big things and for me it just failed to deliver on so many levels, thank god that gaga track was ditched because iv a feeling it could of been the worst thing to happen to lamars career thus far if that drake track is anything to go by. It was meant to pick up where section 80 left off and it just doesnt imo.

Like you said it could grow on me and belive id have no problem in putting my hands up if it does, look at the receipe single i back tracked on that one and have recently changed my opinion of swimming pools from a good song to an outstanding song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

KL ditched his original production team for more commercially known one's and at the same time while doing that left out the legend that is dre.

It's hardly Kendrick's fault, the beats he had with Dre probably didn't fit in to this album or else they simply weren't good enough. Look at the people that Dre has worked with over the years, how many of his songs make their actual albums?

Last time Dre really had a big hand in producing an album it was Relapse with Eminem...an absolute travesty of an album to be fair and Dre produced nearly every single track on it. Since then I think he's had 1 beat on Em's last album (arguably the worst track on Recovery), 1 on Rick Ross' album (seriously weak track), 1 on Xzibit's and none on Game's or Kendrick's. I like Dre but the possibility that his beat's simply weren't good enough for the album is totally believable and, tbh, no big loss at all.

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »

It's hardly Kendrick's fault, the beats he had with Dre probably didn't fit in to this album or else they simply weren't good enough. Look at the people that Dre has worked with over the years, how many of his songs make their actual albums?

Last time Dre really had a big hand in producing an album it was Relapse with Eminem...an absolute travesty of an album to be fair and Dre produced nearly every single track on it. Since then I think he's had 1 beat on Em's last album (arguably the worst track on Recovery), 1 on Rick Ross' album (seriously weak track), 1 on Xzibit's and none on Game's or Kendrick's. I like Dre but the possibility that his beat's simply weren't good enough for the album is totally believable and, tbh, no big loss at all.

All I'm saying is he's dre's artist now and if he was going to go down the commercial route as far as production he should of had a few or at least one dre beat IMO. I'm sure dre would of pulled something out of the hat for one of his debut artists but instead we get 2 or 3 absolute mare's of beats ,even the hitboy one was disgracefully bad.

Tbh the beat on Ross's album 3 kings is fairly decent, I agree with you on eminem we've been over that a few times. Game isn't on aftermath so who knows what sort of thing he had going on in the studio, he had dre skits alright but I'm sure game would of jumped at a chance of a dre beat tailor made or not if it was offered. Dre usually looks after his own artists that's why it's a bit strange he hasn't got at Least 1 production credit on the album considering the star studded production.

Dre's had beats on T.Is last album aswell but tbh there does seem to be a bit of dre's way or the highway in terms of actually getting in the studio with him. 50 spoke out a few times of his frustration with dre when it came to mixing his records (flight 187 track), ice cube spoke out too, so maybe there is a hint of a laid back approach from dre these days.

I wathced an interview with KL a while back and he said that there were no Dre beats on the album. But he did say that they have recorded a bunch of songs together, not for any particular project. So there are some vaulted....along with a bunch of others in Dre's vault.
    If they didnt fit the theme of the album, then so be it.

As far as Dre being lazy.....I'm still waiting on the Helter Skelter album (some of you may be too young to know what this is!) :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I wathced an interview with KL a while back and he said that there were no Dre beats on the album. But he did say that they have recorded a bunch of songs together, not for any particular project. So there are some vaulted....along with a bunch of others in Dre's vault.
    If they didnt fit the theme of the album, then so be it.

As far as Dre being lazy.....I'm still waiting on the Helter Skelter album (some of you may be too young to know what this is!) :D:D

I vaguely remember this saga this was to with dre producing the DOC's album(can't remember the year , early 1990's ) , and as it didn't happen , poor DOC ended up leaving Death row records
    anyone who followed NWA from the start , was looking forward to the DOC's album )

baddebt wrote: »
    I vaguely remember this saga this was to with dre producing the DOC's album(can't remember the year , early 1990's ) , and as it didn't happen , poor DOC ended up leaving Death row records
    anyone who followed NWA from the start , was looking forward to the DOC's album )

Nope......The D.O.C. actually ended up stealing the name for his own album.

If you recall the Murder Was A Case soundtrack, there is a song called Helter Skelter by Dre and Cube. This was the first track, and long awaited song from thier collaborative project/album called Helter Skelter. After hearing that song, there were promises for another few years that it would happen. I think that people have just forgotten at this stage.

If I recall correctly, when Dre got Aftermath up and running, there was talk that it was to be one of the first albums to be released on Aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

the first Helter Skelter song was called "Natural Born Killers" and was featured on the sounddtrack, i remember in the first edition of Doggystle there was an ad for upcoming DR releases that said Helter Skelter coming soon.

Also California Love was meant to be from the Helter Skelter album but Suge stole it when Dre left DR and gave it to 2pac

You're right, Natural Born Killers was the name of the track. I'm pretty sure that all of the Death Row releases came with an isert previewing the upcoming releases and Helter Skelter was always listed....along with Sam Sneed

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

some of the other ones list inside Death Row covers ed were:
    Dr Dre Chronic 2
    Makaveli One Nation
    Sam Sneed
    Snoop Doggystle 2

Helter Skelter was scrapped long before Dre set up Aftermath though

Anyone only listen to this today for the first time?

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Anyone only listen to this today for the first time?

Have to wait til tomorrow to get the CD, won't get a chance to listen to it until tomorrow night :(

• Advertisement

Tbh the beat on Ross's album 3 kings is fairly decent
    I was looking forward to it when the news surfaced that he was working with Ross, not because I'm a fan of Ross, it's just that we don't hear too many beats from Dre these days and this one had a lot of hype on Twitter and the message boards. I was really disappointed with the beat tbh, thought it was just plain boring, nothing exciting or memorable about it.
    Game isn't on aftermath so who knows what sort of thing he had going on in the studio, he had dre skits alright but I'm sure game would of jumped at a chance of a dre beat tailor made or not if it was offered.
    He was in the studio with Dre on and off when recording The RED Album and they did record a good few tracks together - at least 2 for Detox (confirmed by DOC) and at least 3 for Game's album. 2 Dre beats made it onto one of Games mixtapes (Soft Rhodes ft. Ashanti and The Ocean ft. Dre and Busta). Those beats were nothing special, not what should be expected from Dre and definitely not album-worthy.

There was another track called Dead People produced by Dre, it didn't make the final cut for whatever reason but it sounded like it could have been good.

This is from what was said about the track in a review after an early listening session:

"Dre laces Game with a beat that sounds like it was left off 50 Cent's The Massacre (in the same vein of "I'm Supposed To Die Tonight"), and Jayceon takes the opportunity to steal 50's style, even sounding like him on the hook (a stashed joint he wrote, maybe?). Granted, he writes from an interesting perspective—at one point he goes into the POV of a bullet like Nas' "I Gave You Power"—but it stills come off as an odd fantasy about murder."

Game said he's going to use it on a future project but his new album has a semi-religious theme so I doubt we'll get to hear it on that.
    Dre's had beats on T.Is last album aswell
    Which was T.I.'s last album? I know they've worked together for his new one coming out in December but it's been pushed back a few times so who knows if the Dre beats will make the final cut?

Advertisement