Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship scheme offers 5,000 work placements to people on the dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Oranage2 wrote: »
    yes but private companies pay

High Wages
    High Insurance
    High Rent
    High Electricity
    High Rates

which all contibute to our economy. These companies are now offering free training in a day an age were getting experience or paid employment is very scarce albeit the company are getting free labour and the worker is getting an extra 50quid to cover expensences - It's a win win and with a 5000 placements only and only a few places allowed to each comapany - companies wont be able to sack half their work force to hire these new interns.

I know why a lot of people disagree with this but surely you can tape Ellen on your sky plus and watch it after a good hard days work!
    that's ridiculous.

If it's not live, it's just not Ellen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If one of these companies takes on an intern and actually trains them in a specific area and the person develops a skill that will benefit them towards employment within their company or another one i would support the idea and would be a good imitative in that respect. But i just can't see too many of those 5000 positions panning out like that. This is a 3 to 9 month contract thing or whatever and i doubt many companies will invest the money in training an intern. Especially when they have an employee for nothing that is getting paid by the Government. Nor will they entrust an intern into performing a role of much importance. It will most likely be tea maker or basic work. Nothing that will really provide you with a new range of skills. I seen one of them listed on jobs.ie a few weeks ago to work in a pet store as an intern under this scheme. Not sure what valuable experience that would offer.

I have my current job through internships and voluntary work and i've seen enough of the exploitation that can occur in these situations. I've gone through it myself with 60 hour + weeks and running to get coffee. I'd like to have belief that something like this will be a success but i just don't think it will be. It is set up to be raped by multinationals and big companies and i doubt they will be monitored enough to root out exploitation. Especially considering how much the Government want this to work. They won't want to attract any negative attention to the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Anyone want an internship as my butler?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: People saying "It's experience! It's experience!"

What exactly do you think you're going to be doing on these internships exactly? What "experience" do you think you're going to be gaining? Cause as someone said, you're not going to be trained internally and stuck into an important position and you're not going to be given any real experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know its this is not saying much but its better than nothing ...I don't thing any sort of interventionist in the jobs market works ( except large grants to multi nationals giving out by the IDA )

If you are going to do an internship look at it very carefully and check it out... if say you need engineering experience make sure that is exactly what you get and you have to be honest and brave enough to say you don't need help with your C.V/feedback/ personal development from the HR department and that you know how to make tea and how to answer the phone already, you need actual hands on experience of an engineering project so you can put it on your C.V.

In other words make it work for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Another thing ...over the years we have had lot of people on work placement with us for 3 months as part of their degree...do not under any circumstance stand with your hands in your pockets. I know it hard for shy people but you have to get over it! offer to help where every you can ...say to people would you like any help is there any thing you would like me to do for you.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I know its this is not saying much but its better than nothing ...I don't thing any sort of interventionist in the jobs market works ( except large grants to multi nationals giving out by the IDA )

If you are going to do an internship look at it very carefully and check it out... if say you need engineering experience make sure that is exactly what you get and you have to be honest and brave enough to say you don't need help with your C.V/feedback/ personal development from the HR department and that you know how to make tea and how to answer the phone already, you need actual hands on experience of an engineering project so you can put it on your C.V.

In other words make it work for you.

Yes, ideally - if the applicant had the wherewithal and confidence and lack of desperation to be doing something, then yes.

it may well benefit some.

however I really do wonder if this won't actually remove possible jobs from the market.

i mean, what's it gonna cost the employer? really. Small bit of induction hassle?

so unless they actually have a set of skills they hope to impart, even introductory stuff, which would take commitment from the employer, then the only use of this program is for someone with no experience of work, to be in a work environment - which is actually useful.

but at what price? the price of real jobs?

I voted for this crowd, was expecting something a bit more adventurous than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It's an interesting scheme and the experience is handy but after sharing a house with someone on a similar scheme here in the North it'll be abused. I was sharing a house with someone who was on the dole and doing a sort of internship thing, she was working a good 35 hours a week and only getting the dole. She was promised that she would be taken on after the 1 year period etc... but that all fell through, the company absolutely ripped the piss out of her. Experience like that will be helpful and will add to the cv, but I don't trust the government to regulate this since they're in bed with IBEC (amongst others). It just looks like a way of getting cheap labour for companies and especially since it'll be young graduates that will avail the most of this set up, it will be completely abused. Being on the dole is crap, but being on the dole and working 9-5 is even worse even if it does stop your mind turning to mush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

This is just the WPP scheme given a different name. Where are the stats to show how many people got actual jobs are a result of being on the WPP. There is no evidence of value for money for the tax payer.

I know of two sole traders who lost contracts to small limited companies who got staff on WPP schemes and where able to undercut the price offered by the sole trader as a result. The WPP scheme is taking jobs out of the market, this will do the same. If you do a days work you should be paid for it at the going rate by the company who you do the work for. This is just state money being used/abused by private companies to gain profit. Hasn't enough tax payers money been given to private organisations ?

I can imagine the adverts on FAS - "Internship - Gain valuable experience in the field in which you are qualified for. To qualify you must have 5 -10 years previous experience in a similar position in the same industry sector"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

bigpink wrote: »
    18 years in media sounds really good what area?

It is the dying newspaper industry; sub-editing. I was made redundant because a lot of papers are just not getting people to proofread and lay out papers anymore... there are new programmes that can upload blocks ot text and to hell with how it looks and the spelling/grammar mistakes.

This is my problem - plenty of work/life experience but in an industry that is just not hiring anymore. I am not in a postion financially to put myself through college to re-skill (I'd love to do something like counselling) and I am immediately turned down for any job that I don't have experience in. I can't even get retail work because despite being very much a 'people person', I have never worked a till or in a shop!

Work placement opportunities have not panned out either. I have not even had a call back for one that I have applied for.

I do have a very good and international CV - it just means nothing if I have no matching skills.

It's a tough one and I struggle daily with what the hell am I going to do. It's why while people may be slating this scheme, it offers some hope for people like me (if I am not considered too old (30s) to actually be placed somewhere).

I hate being on the dole, I don't know how anyone could be happy to sit around all day. I miss the motivation of going to work and being productive and proud of my achievements; I miss going out for meals, going out with friends. Why anyone would be happy on the dole long-term is beyond me, but unfortunately plenty are and they give people like myself a bad rap.

• Advertisement

I hate being on the dole, I don't know how anyone could be happy to sit around all day.

See, that's a personal problem, imo, not one with being unemployed.

I'm on the dole but that doesn't mean I'm sitting round all day doing nothing. Actually, I'm taking the chance to follow my dream of being an author. If I was working, I wouldn't have the time to do that, and financially it would be suicide to choose writing over an actual job. But since I do have the free time, I look on the bright side and actually try and be constructive with what time I do have. I get up in the morning and write, I go walking in the afternoon and then I do more writing in the evening. I see the free time as a chance to do things I wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

Yeah, it would be easy to sit round doing nothing and wasting your days away. But if you are motivated enough, you can use the free time to your advantage. It comes down to the individual mindset; no one is forcing you to do nothing while on the dole.

And tbh, choosing to do an internship just for the sake of doing something is probably the wrong attitude to go into one with....

I'm on the dole but that doesn't mean I'm sitting round all day doing nothing. Actually, I'm taking the chance to follow my dream of being an author. If I was working, I wouldn't have the time to do that, and financially it would be suicide to choose writing over an actual job. But since I do have the free time, I look on the bright side and actually try and be constructive with what time I do have. I get up in the morning and write, I go walking in the afternoon and then I do more writing in the evening. I see the free time as a chance to do things I wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

Yeah, it would be easy to sit round doing nothing and wasting your days away. But if you are motivated enough, you can use the free time to your advantage. It comes down to the individual mindset; no one is forcing you to do nothing while on the dole.

And tbh, choosing to do an internship just for the sake of doing something is probably the wrong attitude to go into one with....

Funny you should say that as I have always had a dream of scriptwriting - unfortunately I am not in the best hedspace to be writing. I feel constantly down. It's like I get a few ideas and then hit a wall.

As I said in an earlier post - I do voluntary work but money is very tight so I don't tend to go out as everything seems to cost money.

I wouldn't just choose any internship - I'm old enough to know there is no future in that.

You are right about the mindset - I am struggling with it more than I should, probably because this is all so alien to me.

It is the dying newspaper industry; sub-editing. I was made redundant because a lot of papers are just not getting people to proofread and lay out papers anymore... there are new programmes that can upload blocks ot text and to hell with how it looks and the spelling/grammar mistakes.

This is my problem - plenty of work/life experience but in an industry that is just not hiring anymore. I am not in a postion financially to put myself through college to re-skill (I'd love to do something like counselling) and I am immediately turned down for any job that I don't have experience in. I can't even get retail work because despite being very much a 'people person', I have never worked a till or in a shop!

Work placement opportunities have not panned out either. I have not even had a call back for one that I have applied for.

i also thing the other idea i mentioned, of any unemployed person able to keep all benefits for up to 20 hours work - without the utter nonsense surrounding such a thing as there currently is (time unemployed, sheets signed, money deducted, medical threatened etc etc)

better some fuking activity than none (yes i know this wud have to be thought out, but something ha to be done 4,5 million and counting...)

I do have a very good and international CV - it just means nothing if I have no matching skills.

It's a tough one and I struggle daily with what the hell am I going to do. It's why while people may be slating this scheme, it offers some hope for people like me (if I am not considered too old (30s) to actually be placed somewhere).

I hate being on the dole, I don't know how anyone could be happy to sit around all day. I miss the motivation of going to work and being productive and proud of my achievements; I miss going out for meals, going out with friends. Why anyone would be happy on the dole long-term is beyond me, but unfortunately plenty are and they give people like myself a bad rap.

i hear you. (though let me say, most people want to work - as when jobs were available unemployment was economically speaking at close to zero)

em, good for you, but that's not for everyone.

anyway, i am a little torn.

one the one hand some kind of fuking initiative is to be welcomed.

but i think it was poster 'blindjustice' that pointed out the wider issue - that having done an internship now becomes the baseline standard for applicants, so all grads must do this internship as they'll be competing with those who did craic.

i think tihs is a good time for the multinationals to step up to the mark - say they will commit to detailed training prog for the year AND contrib 100 euros or so themselves.

as for smaller companies - the guidelines should be crystal clear - so a intern can whistle blow (of course they prob wont, for all sorts of reasons)

overall i think this is too limited, too short-term - ie it should only be done if the employer legally commits to employing an intern for one year at least, after the internship - otherwise this is a state funded upskill of the baseline, with no clear tangible benefits for society as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's a win win and with a 5000 placements only and only a few places allowed to each comapany - companies wont be able to sack half their work force to hire these new interns.

I know why a lot of people disagree with this but surely you can tape Ellen on your sky plus and watch it after a good hard days work!

They may not sack their full time employee's who are protected by law but you will find that all the contractors and temps who work for them under umbrella companies and agencies will not have thier contracts renewed and those paying positions will be filled by "Interns" .

Companies and sole traders not receiving this slave labour will loose out on contracts because they can't cut cost so they will go bust and have to let people go.

As for your stupid comments on Ellen, those people on the dole who are truly looking for paid employment just had things made alot harder for them.

ArtSmart wrote: »

but i think it was poster 'blindjustice' that pointed out the wider issue - that having done an internship now becomes the baseline standard for applicants, so all grads must do this internship as they'll be competing with those who did craic.

That is a really good point... it will become a prerequisite for grads to have experience before they get a paid job. It is obvious that an 'actual' employer will be more inclined to take a grad on if they have that head-start.

I have to apologise here for my ignorance - I thought the companies paid the 50e a week. I think it's disgusting that the tax payer is going to be hit yet again for this. Look at some of the companies signed up for this - how can they not pay 50e? Honestly, I really do despair now. It just gets worse.

I seriously think I need to snap out of this headspace I am in because the only money I am ever going to make is working (writing) for myself.

Lightbulb moment here for me!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

RE: People saying "It's experience! It's experience!"

What exactly do you think you're going to be doing on these internships exactly? What "experience" do you think you're going to be gaining? Cause as someone said, you're not going to be trained internally and stuck into an important position and you're not going to be given any real experience.

cleaner.jpg

cleaner.jpg

Well, that's just taking the piss!!!!

em, good for you, but that's not for everyone.

Should point out, I'm not saying everyone should write. Obviously that's not for everyone. My point was you don't have to sit round doing nothing just cause you're unemployed. If you want to do something constructive with your time, it's up to you to find something YOU want to do and do it. Writing was my outlet and my constructive work. Others may do something else...

Well, that's just taking the piss!!!!

quite literally taking the piss with a mop and bucket :D

quite literally taking the piss with a mop and bucket :D

Exactly.. I suppose if you work really, really hard for nothing for 9 months you may be able to promote yourself to a B&B and then maybe a 3-star hotel... and then, maybe, just maybe a 5-star hotel cleaning out the WCs.

How can that employer not pay for someone to do that job? How can they honestly be OK with offering that as a work placement? What an a-hole.

Am half-tempted to email him myself and tell him to cop the hell on to himself. Appalling.

• Advertisement

cleaner.jpg

That is...astounding. Fuking astounding. How could FAS / govt allow that to happen? outrageous.

edit, btw I'm not FAS bashing, despite the popularity of same (i've seen some great work they've funded and dealt with some very capable individuals - they're not all muppets) but in all honesty, did no one not see this and say 'get lost you creep' to the employer?
    Should point out, I'm not saying everyone should write. Obviously that's not for everyone. My point was you don't have to sit round doing nothing just cause you're unemployed. If you want to do something constructive with your time, it's up to you to find something YOU want to do and do it. Writing was my outlet and my constructive work. Others may do something else...
    for sure. i'm just saying that whilst keeping active is great....I think working would be the preferred option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

In 95% of these 'internships' you will be skivvying, literally in the case of the 'Washroom Technician', or doing **** jobs around the office that no-one else wants to do.

In nine months you'll be let go, and the next intern arrives. Repeat until the next iteration of this scheme arrives.

If anyone thinks they are going to get trained in any sort of meaningful role and accrue experience that they could actually use to build up their CV, they are deluded. You won't be there long enough for the company to bother training you in something that you either can't already do, or is menial labour which requires little or no training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

absolute shambles of an idea imo that only benefits the big companies who have got us into this recession in the first place

What? Are you a moron?

That is...astounding. Fuking astounding. How could FAS / govt allow that to happen? outrageous.

Agree - it is appalling.

Have there been any exposes done on the shambles that is WPP? I have seen a few mental ones - hotel receptionist/teacher but THAT takes the biscuit.

I cannot believe anyone even has the audacity to put that up. Seriously. We should all email our CVs in. he won't know what has hit him, he'll probably be delighted with himself!!!!

F*cks sake...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As I've mentioned already (as I'm older probably than most here), I (like others) have lived through:

Anco
    Manpower
    And Now FAS

All have had these similar type schemes - and all have descended into farce and worker abuse.

That link above (http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/thebatoneffect/FAS/cleaner.jpg) is typical of what I've seen over many, many years.

This latest re-spun stunt by FG - I don't have much faith in.
    Its the same regurgitated, re-PR spun crap as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

In 95% of these 'internships' you will be skivvying, literally in the case of the 'Washroom Technician', or doing **** jobs around the office that no-one else wants to do.

In nine months you'll be let go, and the next intern arrives. Repeat until the next iteration of this scheme arrives.

If anyone thinks they are going to get trained in any sort of meaningful role and accrue experience that they could actually use to build up their CV, they are deluded. You won't be there long enough for the company to bother training you in something that you either can't already do, or is menial labour which requires little or no training.

Unfortunately I agree with you. If as I suggested that the only employers allowed to avail of the internship scheme are those based in high tech, pharma and professional services you would be hopeful that the majority of people would gain some worthwhile experience.

A lot of my friends in the U.S have done internships, for the majority they were unpaid. These guys did internships in policy and economic think tanks along with law at state and city attorneys. They got some excellent experience working closely with leading figures within their respective industries. Contrast that with what our interns will be doing, going by the links put up on this thread I don't think they'll get much out of it unless the scheme is administered properly with a resource aimed at getting rid of any positions that have little or no chance of giving people a meaningful, worthwhile experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

won't work, been done before to death by fas / anco...nice freebie for employers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Biggins wrote: »
    As I've mentioned already (as I'm older probably than most here), I (like others) have lived through:

Anco
    Manpower
    And Now FAS

All have had these similar type schemes - and all have descended into farce and worker abuse.

That link above (http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/thebatoneffect/FAS/cleaner.jpg) is typical of what I've seen over many, many years.

This latest re-spun stunt by FG - I don't have much faith in.
    Its the same regurgitated, re-PR spun crap as before.

I work in the IT dept of a semi-state body and we have made a request request to our manager for one or two interns. We are currently understaffed as we have lost staff and are not allowed to recruit more due to government policy on recruitment.
    These intern(s) should we get them, will get 6/9 months training in an IT environment and will now have a reference from someone in the IT sector. It's win win in my opinion. If I was offered this chance I'd jump at it if I was unemployed and trying to get a leg up in to the industry.

I would agree that there could be some companies out to get what is effectively slave labour but there should be no jobs like the post you have linked to. It should be technical or business positions only. Being asked to make cups of tea etc. should be reported to the social welfare and the company taken from the list

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

doncarlos wrote: »
    ...I would agree that there could be some companies out to get what is effectively slave labour but there should be no jobs like the post you have linked to. It should be technical or business positions only. Being asked to make cups of tea etc. should be reported to the social welfare and the company taken from the list
    Couldn't agree more - as will others here I reckon. :)

Many, many years ago (decades) I was sent on such a scheme with a newspaper organisation.
    I ended up basically a "Gofer" and nothing more for the whole time. When my time was up, another came to take my place, same crap I was left to assume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Do you know what I find distressing about this: there are probably many adults unemployed. Adults who could have spent 10,15,20 or 30 years working who now finds themselves unemployed and decides to use the opportunity to go to college and study and branch into a new career path perhaps. Suddenly their life experience means nothing.

Advertisement