Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship scheme offers 5,000 work placements to people on the dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Based in DUNDALK (EAST) Ref. INTE-615396

Description

On completion of the 9 month programme, the trainee Intern will: Have developed the necessary skills associated with coordinating the provision of a range of professional on-line services for career planners.

Duration

9 weeks

Make up your mind.
    One is the gestation period of a human........... the other is of a dog.

Companies should really just cut wages and hire people with the savings if they want more workers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I assume that all positions are for 9 months and not only 9 weeks?

Weird looking at jobs and seeing the salary described as €50 plus your current SW rate.

My job is hanging by a thread at the moment so am keeping a close eye if something suitable comes up for myself.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/national_internship_scheme.html
    The number of internships that a host organisation can offer depends on their number of full-time employees, as follows:
    Number of full-time employees (30+ hours) Number of internship places
    • 1-10 employees 1 internship place
    • 11-20 employees 2 internship places
    • 21-30 employees 3 internship places
    • Over 30 employees 20% of the workforce up to a maximum of 200 whichever is the smaller*

*Local branch offices of national organisations will be regarded as individual organisations for the purpose of the National Internship Scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Not really. A company is only going to take an intern on if they add value to the company and therefore increase profits, which means increased tax take for this country.

Also, I and lots of others have always wanted people on the dole to pay their way and be made to work for their money. So even if I have to give them an extra 50 quid a week it still makes me feel better to think they're not just at home scratching their hole while I fund their lifestyle.

Make no mistake, Ireland is about to get a whole lot more competitive when this scheme is introduced.

Im sorry but people who are on the dole pay tax's just like any one sles it may not be on what they get payed but we do pay tax's none the less...

and with the above statement i think you have'nt given anything credible but your own narrow mind view point.

which stands for nothing

People who are in college on the dole or anything need experence. there working for free on a government funded sceme.

FG are doing a hell a lot better with the insentive to get people experenced in jobs that arnt of a poor industry. Ie have strong foundations.

as for ireland becoming more competitive that's what we need, As a nation we need to show are abilities are strong and the want to make money.. This laxitive attitude of, ahhh sure it'le do... You see it when you go into some supermarkets you see it with that bitchy local view on life fvck local we need international...

For once nepitisim wont be enough youve got show your abilities in your chosen career which in my view is a very good thing...
    Because then it forces people to take pride in the jobs it forces people to work harder its shows as a nation were more focussed how is that a bad thing?

You look at the Germans and how organised they are... Ireland's mentality is like a teanagers messy Room...

If Ireland wants to regain its name as a strong country with good economic growth the half empty glass attitude needs to be forgotten....

The biggest trouble with Irish people is....

we can't sell our selves.....
    Becoming more competitive is sure fire way to light that fire.

Create the interest in this country we dont have an industry but we sure as hell can provide one....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So here's a question...

I've trained to be a teacher. The nature of that means that the work I currently get is sub work which I only get short notice of (as in, 9 o clock I get a call to get into the school within 15 minutes).

Now if I take up the internship and I get a call to go do subwork, am I allowed to miss a day to go for the job I'm actually qualified in? Or am I basically having to take myself out of the teaching industry for 9 months to take up the internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Bens wrote: »

LOL

Yeah, the 31 advertised thus far does not bode well - mostly sales and "marketing" or office worker - dressed up to look like graduate jobs. disgusting. (only one software devel position which seems okish,)

Read between the lines people.

edit, I see the also have a 'convert your WPP' option.

Are the govt so fuking out of touch, or do they really think the public are so fuking naive?

scumbags.

Went through most of them.

absolutely disgraceful. fuking telesales jobs! (bar one (Carlow) so far and possiblly Cork, but IT grads shouldnt need internships, though maybe I'm wrong))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

So here's a question...

I've trained to be a teacher. The nature of that means that the work I currently get is sub work which I only get short notice of (as in, 9 o clock I get a call to get into the school within 15 minutes).

Now if I take up the internship and I get a call to go do subwork, am I allowed to miss a day to go for the job I'm actually qualified in? Or am I basically having to take myself out of the teaching industry for 9 months to take up the internship?

I'd imagine you'd have to bring it up with the organisation but you could say your gone for an interview or use the other bits of info below??
    20. Do I get time off during an Internship?
    Although you are not an employee of the company you should still be given adequate time
    off for attending job interviews during the placement visit your local SW office and FÁS in
    order to facilitate your job seeking activities.
    21. Am I entitled to any leave during my time on the placement?
    Yes, you are entitled to the following leave:
    • Sick Leave - Over the course of an internship an individual will be allowed to take a
    maximum 10 sick days without impacting on their internship allowance. Where the
    number of sick days exceeds 10 sick days, this will result in the intern having to apply
    for illness benefit. This will result in the loss of the €50 top up for the length of time
    they are sick. However, interns will retain their basic allowance during this time. It
    should be noted that periods of sickness will not extend the end date of the internship.
    • Annual Leave – Interns are entitled to all the Public holidays and 1.75 annual leave
    days per month of internship.
    23. What if I get a job?
    If you get paid work that is great! If you get a job during the placement you are under no
    obligation to stay, again you should give the HO, DSP and FÁS one weeks’ notice that you
    are leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

So here's a question...

What!? 15 minutes to get into the school. Do they think that you are hanging outside the school waiting?

I'd imagine you'd have to bring it up with the organisation but you could say your gone for an interview or use the other bits of info below??
    I'm assuming you're involved in this 'initiative' in some capacity BF?

Are you happy with the postilions being offered so far?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

See though, thats what I mean...as a teacher, I'd get 15 mins, 30 tops of a warning that a job is available. There's no way I'd be able to give the company or anyone else "adequate advanced warning", and I'd have no clue if that job would last a day or a week. :S

ArtSmart wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're involved in this 'initiative' in some capacity BF?

Are you happy with the postilions being offered so far?

I'm a recent graduate ArtSmart, mad to get something and I been unsuccessful so far so if it begins with one of these internships I'll be happy just to get started. I'd imagine it would enhance my chances (hopefully anyways) with potential employers even if you were only a few months into the internship

No not impressed so far, don't seem to offer any substance, have you?

I'm a recent graduate ArtSmart, mad to get something and I been unsuccessful so far so if it begins with one of these internships I'll be happy just to get started. I'd imagine it would enhance my chances (hopefully anyways) with potential employers even if you were only a few months into the internship

I think looking at the positions so far, it seems to be the same as before - companies looking for telesales people - who they dont have to pay.

If you do apply for a position my advice is to rigorously question the prospective employer as to the duties required /expected.

If they're real, they'll appreciate your concerns and will give clear reassurance / explanations. If not, you'll get the mumbled answer or the buzz word answer.

so be very careful - better to be actively job seeking than being exploited and not having time to job seek.

as for me, i'm more the mentor than the 'mentee' type. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

See though, thats what I mean...as a teacher, I'd get 15 mins, 30 tops of a warning that a job is available. There's no way I'd be able to give the company or anyone else "adequate advanced warning", and I'd have no clue if that job would last a day or a week. :S

Looks like that you have to be dressed appropriately and ready to head out the door as soon as you get a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

I think looking at the positions so far, it seems to be the same as before - companies looking for telesales people - who they dont have to pay.

If you do apply for a position my advice is to rigorously question the prospective employer as to the duties required /expected.

If they're real, they'll appreciate your concerns and will give clear reassurance / explanations. If not, you'll get the mumbled answer or the buzz word answer.

so be very careful - better to be actively job seeking than being exploited and not having time to job seek.

There is not going to be any exploiting, people are free to quit the job at any time if they wish, and there will be no penalties or anything in relation to their dole money.

Yea cheers for the good advice AS, early days so hopefully the scheme won't fail as miserably as the WPP

There is not going to be any exploiting, people are free to quit the job at any time if they wish, and there will be no penalties or anything in relation to their dole money.
    :rolleyes:

Irish slaves for Europe. US multinationals? LOL.

anyway, we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

:rolleyes:

Irish slaves for Europe. US multinationals? LOL.

anyway, we'll see.

US multinationals paying Irish taxes. Also most of the companies up on the website so far are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Went through most of them.

absolutely disgraceful. fuking telesales jobs! (bar one (Carlow) so far and possiblly Cork, but IT grads shouldnt need internships, though maybe I'm wrong))

They will now, because all companies will only be taking on slaves in future.
    Why would you pay when you can have a free slave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Do yourself a favour and go somewhere thats going to pay you for your work. If you want to come back with your experience after that then you can.

US multinationals paying Irish taxes. Also most of the companies up on the website so far are Irish.
    :)
    I know, i was doing a name play thingy.

The whole 'Convert your WPP' menu tab is quite disconcerting.

Shameful nonsense, the more i look at it.

Shame on you Labour. As for FG, well...spots / leopard/ etc etc.

If they don't start doing something worthwhile we'll be facing a FF return in 2016. what 'bout those unpalatable tomatoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I dont get why people are saying this has potential - it's the same as the wpp only paid €50 more.

I dont get why people are saying this has potential - it's the same as the wpp only paid €50 more.

From the Convert a WPP bit. As i said before they should allow people keep their JS/JB monies and facilitate real payments from companies for hours worked, rather than this utter nonsense. Even if it menas two employee for 20 hours a week. Something radical is needed with .45 million unemployed, as this aint it.

• Individuals aged 22-24 whose existing WPP Placement has been converted to a JobBridge Internship and have been previously receiving the higher social welfare rate of €188 per week will be reduced to their base social welfare rate of €144 per week. However, they will also receive the weekly top up of €50. Individuals in this cohort will therefore receive an Internship allowance of €194 per week €144+€50) which is an increase of €6 over the previous payment.

So that means if you were doing a wpp before and want to switch to an internship you'd get €6 extra?

So that means if you were doing a wpp before and want to switch to an internship you'd get €6 extra?
    if you were in the 22-24 age range. i presume they're just trying to make the two equal in benefit to participants, which is fine. I assume the 6 euro thingy is a legal restraint ie the dole is now 144 for that age range.

overall though, this scheme is bollox.

Oh right,i head that several times but I still read it wrong. It is bollix, cause it's worth nothing to most people doing it.

Bens wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and go somewhere thats going to pay you for your work. If you want to come back with your experience after that then you can.

I wish it was that simple and I do agree however I can't get a job (yet) that pays so I'd be willing to give it a go if in the short term if it would enhance my chances, rather than stay at home and do nothing. Yea no bothers, if I get one I'll pass on my experience
    Oh right,i head that several times but I still read it wrong. It is bollix, cause it's worth nothing to most people doing it.

Yea your probably right, but feck it I need to do something. The good thing about it I suppose is that your not tied down to the internship, and can leave once you do gain employment and its better than having a gap on my cv

*Jeasus I need a job, there's only so much xbox etc that ye can play

Why do you think its a waste of time SU?

• Advertisement

Well it's a waste of time because it's not monitored in any way.there needs to be rules for it to be any use.

Advertisement