Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship scheme offers 5,000 work placements to people on the dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

well i will apply, just don't know how likely it is i'll get something. but sunflower if you've been out of work that long, and are up for doing something for experience, why haven't you done a wpp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

well i will apply, just don't know how likely it is i'll get something. but sunflower if you've been out of work that long, and are up for doing something for experience, why haven't you done a wpp?

I've applied!!!! Not got any though - I'm late-30s so I think possibly that has gone against me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Hmmm.....
    heard about this on the news and read the thread.

Some very good points made. While the scheme might of been created with good intentions. It will get abused and sadly probably wont work too well...

Imagine working in an office for free (that 50 euro basically goes to travelling and lunches) and you take crap off a manger or co workers!? .. Maybe be more qualified than people getting paid? ... If someone took one of these positions with using it as a reference in mind to get an ACTUAL job... fair enough. But you could be working for almost a year before being offered a proper job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ricicle

I am an unemployed graduate and I think this is a great idea for those who wish to enhance their skills. Every day I receive rejection after rejection which I presume is because there are people out there with much more experience than I have; an opportunity like this would really help to add to my C.V and even if nothing comes of it straight away it would be a confidence builder and something to do each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

feck away and roll up a hill. 5000???5000???500,000 is the number needed, and if you want to pretend that you are going to work, just buy a hi-vis vest and some black bags and go out picking up rubbish. This is a muppet, tinchy little scheme dreamt up by fanny headed Muppet herders and its contribution(barring 5000 souls getting a 2 week ego boost until the novelty wears off) will be s.f.a unless you count the 5000 people who will not be hired because employers will fill posts with the new army of freebie-skivvies. A dumb, simplistic LITTLE scheme from our dumb, simplistic little leaders, getting publicity waaay beyond its merit. And before the squidgy squad jump down my neck, our all knowing leaders whipped the last 5 billion out of the NPRF to help "with job creation", so heres what €5,000,000,000.00 gets ye- 5000 pretendy jobs!!!! I'd prefer if they gave every one of the 450,000 unemployed a grand each and told them to feck off and do whatever they liked with it. That would probably put more real money into the economy.

• Advertisement

Here is how the WPP Scheme went and this will be very similiar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65110764

and this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65095313

and now you can teach primary school children for the dole:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056309276

and they pick and choose candidates for these jobs - if you dont have experience you cant get experience
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056300518

so the whole thing is a con

TG4 are in on the antics too
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795040&page=36

and this is my personal favourite the "washroom technician"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65085023

checkout staff
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65054742

shoe shops in Liffey Valley were in on it too
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65051844

drive trucks for the dole:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65059001

If someone is helping a business make a profit then that person should share in that profit through pay. If the business cant afford to hire someone then they cant afford to hire someone with experience and this scheme isnt creating jobs lets not forget that.

The government shouldnt be paying private companies payrolls.

Labour market economics would show that Government interference in the labour market like this will decrease employment as companies move to replace existing workers with free interns.

The Irish government needs to stop propping up failed businesses and is delaying the correction by implementing this scheme.

In the WPP scheme people were rejected for not having enough experience to do the internship so businesses were just taking advantage. Many of the companies listed by the minister can well afford to pay interns and are not small indigenous businesses struggling but large multinationals. Neither type of business should have their profit margins widened by the struggling taxpayer.

This is madness and its very disheartening to see how so many on this thread do not understand the economic forces at work and the effects this will have.

We have a great example here:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-companies-lining-up-to-take-interns-in-new-scheme-2808565.html

prestige companies such as Hewlett Packard, Google, Facebook and the ESB would take on at least one intern with the possibility of some larger companies taking on between five and 10 workers.

A total of 500 companies have already signed up to the scheme including the Quinn group, Smurfit Kappa, Mercury Engineering and Aer Lingus.

The new scheme is a two year internship programme offering work placements to 5,000 people currently on the live register in the hope of giving them the chance to get a foot on the employment ladder

first the property ladder now the employment ladder - what happens if you gave every unemployed person an internship? The the price level increases or in employment terms the minimum experience needed for a job increases because nothing has been changed to create new jobs.

Fiddling while Rome burns.

Degrees are the new leaving cert
    Internships are the new degrees but you need to get the leaving cert and the degree first and at the end of it you`ll still be going to England or Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Great debate on VB about min wage,glad to see cutting min wage is bollox and wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fiddling while Rome burns.

Degrees are the new leaving cert
    Internships are the new degrees but you need to get the leaving cert and the degree first and at the end of it you`ll still be going to England or Australia

It's called moving with the times - you can either get on the bus early or stay on the dole!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's called moving with the times - you can either get on the bus early or stay on the dole!
    It's not. It's called being a mug and swallowing the old crap of"study hard, get a good job, do well in school and everything else will fall into place". TOTAL and utter crap. Graduates are ten a penny, teach your kids to fend for themselves and how to make money for themselves. If you follow the old logic, you will just be the best educated guy on the dole.

no its ignoring the real problems the list of reasons companies fail and the reasons companies cite when they relocate out of Ireland:

High Wages
    High Insurance
    High Rent
    High Electricity
    High Rates

^^ Fix them and you create jobs, having the government pay their staff is bollox the taxpayer doesnt need.

But Bill Cullen would love the Govt to pay his staff so he can hold onto more money for himself

• Advertisement

no its ignoring the real problems the list of reasons companies fail and the reasons companies cite when they relocate out of Ireland:

High Wages
    High Insurance
    High Rent
    High Electricity
    High Rates
    High Inputs
    ^^ Fix them and you create jobs, having the government pay their staff is bollox the taxpayer doesnt need.

But Bill Cullen would love the Govt to pay his staff so he can hold onto more money for himself
    fyp. Its right, but the problem is not wages, wages in Ireland are just OK, ps excepted. The problem in Ireland is the underlying cost of doing business that you listed. Wages are not the issue for most, there is a pampered class of cnuts that earn, sorry, don't earn but get, too high remuneration, but the average worker struggles on what they get. State costs(fed through from the mad pay of the higher ps) feeds into uncompetitiveness. Its a vicious circle, and ye aint seen nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

what should be done and which no one seems to have the wherewithal to do, is allow people to work part time hours without the nonsense paperwork attached.

allows employers to take staff on for the hours if needed and employees to still have FULL dole/medical card safety net - if the job clearly becomes full time, end it.

of course, like the 'internship' thing it is open to abuse, hugely so, but so what?
    more money will be used for productivity and consumption and be in circulation than the current situation, instead of it lying idle in bank accounts because it's not worthwhile for the employer to employ or employee to work part-time, as things stand.

the internship, as well as being open to abuse, is too small an answer and usually to selective (ie college grads)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

18 years in media sounds really good what area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

So lets say i take up one of these "internships" i'l be coming out with E238 a week?Im not falling for this crap the government are stuck for a solution for the job crisis and the owners of these companies take on people were there is work and dont have to pay them?This country is finished the sooner i leave the bloody better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

So . . . the taxpayer will be funding company payrolls instead of simply funding people to do nothing?

Hard to decide if this is a good idea or not.

So . . . the taxpayer will be funding company payrolls instead of simply funding people to do nothing?

Hard to decide if this is a good idea or not.
    yeah, it is fuking crazy - i mean the gov paying the 50.

the employer at the very least should be paying that.

and i dont wanna hear any employment law bollix, that's easily resolved with internship status, even if the employer does fork out some bobs.

why the fuk cant they think a little further outside the box than the Americans?

So lets say i take up one of these "internships" i'l be coming out with E238 a week?Im not falling for this crap the government are stuck for a solution for the job crisis and the owners of these companies take on people were there is work and dont have to pay them?This country is finished the sooner i leave the bloody better.

sure getting €188 for doing nothing is a far superior idea than gaining valuable experience! you sure showed the goverment......

ricicle wrote: »
    I am an unemployed graduate and I think this is a great idea for those who wish to enhance their skills. Every day I receive rejection after rejection which I presume is because there are people out there with much more experience than I have; an opportunity like this would really help to add to my C.V and even if nothing comes of it straight away it would be a confidence builder and something to do each day.
    For sure, I understand that. but this isn't the way to do it. The multi-national arent on board for the good of the nation, of that you can be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

To get a job and to get around the "embargo",make sure your other half or cousin works in government or public sec,so how many secretaries do we have now?.

sure getting €188 for doing nothing is a far superior idea than gaining valuable experience! you sure showed the goverment......
    Care to share what exactly you will get in the way of "valuable experience"? These companies do not see fit to pay someone to do the jobs they will be offering to these skivvies interns. The only intern we all know who did well for themselves spent most of her time greasing Bill Clintons weasel. Alledgedly.

• Advertisement

Solnskaya wrote: »
    Care to share what exactly you will get in the way of "valuable experience"? These companies do not see fit to pay someone to do the jobs they will be offering to these skivvies interns. The only intern we all know who did well for themselves spent most of her time greasing Bill Clintons weasel. Alledgedly.

So what experience will you get on the Dole besides greasing your own weasel?.....alledgedly/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm no fan of FG but this seems like a very good idea. People on the dole get valuable experience while companies get cheap labour.

This is exactly why I'm opposed to it. Companies are surely going to find ways to replace legitimate jobs with cheap ones doing the same work. All this will do is give companies they ability to scam ordinary people, again.

weasel greasing may well soon be a far more popular occupation, probably for graduates mostly. But it can be a hard job, may well suck at times, and it needs a lot of spunk to stick with it and make it pay.

So what experience will you get on the Dole besides greasing your own weasel?.....alledgedly/

If you want people to work for the dole then fine have them work for the government but do not have them making profits for private business

Its simple really - if someone helps you make a profit through employment you pay them.

Lets not forget that before the bubble burst we had people working their entire lives paying PSRI which is a SOCIAL INSURANCE in case they lost their job

ArtSmart wrote: »
    what should be done and which no one seems to have the wherewithal to do, is allow people to work part time hours without the nonsense paperwork attached.

allows employers to take staff on for the hours if needed and employees to still have FULL dole/medical card safety net - if the job clearly becomes full time, end it.

of course, like the 'internship' thing it is open to abuse, hugely so, but so what?
    more money will be used for productivity and consumption and be in circulation than the current situation, instead of it lying idle in bank accounts because it's not worthwhile for the employer to employ or employee to work part-time, as things stand.
    One thing about this idea though is the tax side of things.
    but the dole is now taxable income (but falls below the rate) AFAIK, so just add PT earnings and tax as normal - it would still be worth the employee's while, the employer would still pay some prsi, govt income increases and work is being done, which at the moment, is not being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

many of the companys who will be hiring through this are already hiring people. so in effect this initiative could be conning someone out of a PAID job :eek:
    the more i think about it the more problems i notice

This is exactly why I'm opposed to it. Companies are surely going to find ways to replace legitimate jobs with cheap ones doing the same work. All this will do is give companies they ability to scam ordinary people, again.

and whats worse is the taxpayer ends up subsidising the likes of Hewlett Packard, Google & Facebook

and whats worse is the taxpayer ends up subsidising the likes of Hewlett Packard, Google & Facebook
    yeah, fuking crazy. unless there is very definite evidence that they are offering a comprehensive training program (not likely) than this is nonsense, glorified slavery .

At the end of the day, why would a company take on an intern?

why?

answer that question and I think the whole thing clicks into clarity.

• Advertisement

If you want people to work for the dole then fine have them work for the government but do not have them making profits for private business

Its simple really - if someone helps you make a profit through employment you pay them.

Lets not forget that before the bubble burst we had people working their entire lives paying PSRI which is a SOCIAL INSURANCE in case they lost their job

yes but private companies pay

High Wages
    High Insurance
    High Rent
    High Electricity
    High Rates

which all contibute to our economy. These companies are now offering free training in a day an age were getting experience or paid employment is very scarce albeit the company are getting free labour and the worker is getting an extra 50quid to cover expensences - It's a win win and with a 5000 placements only and only a few places allowed to each comapany - companies wont be able to sack half their work force to hire these new interns.

I know why a lot of people disagree with this but surely you can tape Ellen on your sky plus and watch it after a good hard days work!

Advertisement