Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship scheme offers 5,000 work placements to people on the dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Tehachapi

I'm tired of people saying the government are doing this to skew live register figures. That is nonsense. Firstly there are only 5,000 places so it's really the difference between 446,000 and 441,000 signing on - hardly a significant difference (that's if 100% of the places are filled - also unlikely) AND as far as I know they are still included in the live register figures anyway because they still receive a social welfare payment.

The scheme itself may have flaws (one of the flaws with WPP was people were losing money on travel/lunch and this addresses that in some respect), but if you have a problem with the scheme - write to fas or your TDs. Complaining on boards.ie won't make the slightest difference.

If you were taken on under this scheme would you be able to just show up whenever you like, pick and choose what tasks to perform and dress however you wish? If the company is not paying the workers it would be a bit much to expect model employee behaviour in return.

Not if you want a reference, notable experience on your CV, or even the slightest chance of being kept on after the placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Honest to God... I dunno what some people are expecting the government to do...wave a magic wand and create decently paid jobs for everyone. Of course, this initiative has flaws and is open to abuse by employers but at the end of the day, you'll be better off after 6-9 months showing that you have gained some work experiece than you would have been doing nothing at all. News flash- people who are trying to get ahead now are working for free all over the place, whether it's an official internship or not- people now realise that's what they have to do to either gain skills or maintain their skills while unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Any restaurants or hotels taking part? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

seamus wrote: »
    It's a good move as it gives people the chance to get valuable experience and also be exposed to a potential new employer and impress them, resulting in a proper job..

Where is the incentive for the employer to porperly hire anyone at all for a role that can be filled by an intern?

As a poster pointed out earlier, in the US a lot of companies use internships as a cost saver. What's to stop that situation being replicated here?

Also I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that this iniative can be traced right back to the beneficiary-companies, and the government is piggy-backing on the idea.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

We are being governed by incompetents. All this will do is displace people who are already seeking work. 5,000 potential places, where someone can earn a wage - could be follied off to a 21 year old who would be working 40 hours a week for the rate of €3.75 an hour.

This is absolutely ridiculous. You can't force people to work for €3.75 an hour - it is slave labour. If people voluntarily wish to go for an internship, that's fine - but to force people to work for as little as €3.75 an hour is absolutely shocking.

dlofnep wrote: »
    We are being governed by incompetents. All this will do is displace people who are already seeking work. 5,000 potential places, where someone can earn a wage - could be follied off to a 21 year old who would be working 40 hours a week for the rate of €3.75 an hour.

This is absolutely ridiculous. You can't force people to work for €3.75 an hour - it is slave labour. If people voluntarily wish to go for an internship, that's fine - but to force people to work for as little as €3.75 an hour is absolutely shocking.

How are people being forced???? It's an optional internship

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

If companies can afford and need desperately, people to do well paid jobs there are goin to hire someone with experience a fresh grad needs to be thought trained what to do when they come in to the workforce, this takes time and money. Money most places can't afford right now, why else don't you think they would be hiring. If this initiative gives this training and experience to some people that don't have it, and gives them to the chance to gain knowledge they might not have already have then what harm is it doing. You are your own person if you feel you are being exploited not being used to your full potential, then leave ffs. Noboby is making you stay in the intern position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

marxcoo wrote: »

Fair enough. That wasn't made clear originally.

My other points still stand - it will be exploited by companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dlofnep wrote: »
    ...My other points still stand - it will be exploited by companies.
    Indeed.
    Anco, Manpower then FAS came up with similar ideas like these and they ended up the same way,used and abused.
    Fourth time lucky? I have deep reservations - but would love to be proved wrong.
    Honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I'm hoping that this scheme is not made available to Hotels/Restaurants and Retail industries. They're getting cheaper weekend rates with amendments to the JLCs in place.

If this scheme is to work the only companies that should be taken on are those that operate in the high tech, pharmaceutical, professional services and energy sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

it is optional but it wont serve anyone much good in the long run. in 9 months time people who take the internships will be no further ahead than say people who have freshly lost their jobs and are signing onto the live register therefore not having the advantage much talked about. add to that the fact that they are using the time in which they could be searching for real jobs to work for free. anyone who is backing this scheme is obviously more confident in the government and the good will of business owners than i do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Honest to God... I dunno what some people are expecting the government to do...wave a magic wand and create decently paid jobs for everyone.

See, I wasn't naive enough to vote for someone based on a promise of creating new jobs (since it was obvious they never would and could), but you can't blame people for expecting them to when it was a key part of their election campaign....

already the companys participating, hertz, tesco, dimplex, quinn, esb, glanbia, bt, bord na mona, dawn farms, tv3, smirfitt kappa, aer lingus.

not exactly your average small business, big companies using the scheme to get free labour to enlarge their margins

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tv3 you say :O Always interested in journalism but I'd imagine it's a pretty dodgy position that everyone will go after :/

And wow, an internship at Tesco? Where do I sign up :P

it is optional but it wont serve anyone much good in the long run. in 9 months time people who take the internships will be no further ahead than say people who have freshly lost their jobs and are signing onto the live register therefore not having the advantage much talked about. add to that the fact that they are using the time in which they could be searching for real jobs to work for free. anyone who is backing this scheme is obviously more confident in the government and the good will of business owners than i do.

The purpose of the internship is to give someone experience that they wouldn't previously have gotten. In that sense, I would disagree with you saying that they would be no further ahead at the end of the nine months. People can look for real jobs when they get home in the evening and at the weekends, the people spending 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week looking for work are few and far between. It's not so much that I am very confident in the government or the goodwill of business owners, it's just that I've seen how much some people have benefitted from the opportunity to take on a internship, especially those who would have had zero hope in finding employment prior to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Spunge wrote: »
    Isn't this kind of the same as the fas WPP ?

The key difference seems to be that under this new scheme, companies only get one shot at it, whereas under the FAS WPP there are companies who have made an art out of ensuring that a large part of their workforce is consistently covered by FAS WPPS.

The purpose of the internship is to give someone experience that they wouldn't previously have gotten. In that sense, I would disagree with you saying that they would be no further ahead at the end of the nine months. People can look for real jobs when they get home in the evening and at the weekends, the people spending 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week looking for work are few and far between. It's not so much that I am very confident in the government or the goodwill of business owners, it's just that I've seen how much some people have benefitted from the opportunity to take on a internship, especially those who would have had zero hope in finding employment prior to that.
    thats the purpose yes, and its a novel idea but it wont work in the sense that its meant to. some people will benefit in this sence i agree, but the sense that it will put them at a higher preference for employers is bull. they will be in the exact same situation as people signing on for the first time when they finish their internships.
    not 8-9 hours no but its very hard to call a business outside office hours or call into businesses etc.
    if the person does get employed i believe some employers will factor in that the person is after working for months unpaid into the salary they are willing to pay the employee.
    its not suited to parents of children either as they aren't willing to give money for child minding services. this seems to be aimed at underpaying new graduate of which i will be when this scheme is in full operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

FYI, Website link to new internship scheme with job-bridge.

Check out the website: http://www.jobbridge.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If you want to get people back to work, offer them a job placement and pay them a full wage. Stop messing about. This will not get people to go on work placements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

why are there no jobs up on it yet? i mean are they waiting till the 1st to even display them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Caitlinn

why are there no jobs up on it yet? i mean are they waiting till the 1st to even display them?

Information about it is up today but the advertising of places doesn't start until Friday according to http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2011/Pages/pr290611.aspx

thats the purpose yes, and its a novel idea but it wont work in the sense that its meant to. some people will benefit in this sence i agree, but the sense that it will put them at a higher preference for employers is bull. they will be in the exact same situation as people signing on for the first time when they finish their internships.

But it will put them at more of an advantage than they would have been if they hadn't done the internship. If you were an employer would you rather someone with no work experience or someone who had completed 9 months of unpaid work. At the end of the day, you don't stand a chance in hell in getting into any area at the moment without some form of experience in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I will most definitely be applying. Out of work 6 months. 18 years experience in media, and in a particular area that is dying a death at an alarming rate.

I have applied for so many different positions but because my work experience is limited to a specific field I have not been able to secure paid work.

I do volunteer work so I am active in my community, but it is not the same as getting up each day and doing something productive.

Yes, the extra 50e will probably only cover transport, but I am not doing it for an extra 50e.

Sure beats sittinga round all day feeling depressed and useless.

To anyone here thinking of going for an internship - good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps they're waiting for interns to put the jobs up on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

For a lot of people the 50 euro they will be getting for the weeks work will be used up on the cost of the diesel/petrol that they will be putting into their cars to get into the work lol absolute shambles of an idea imo that only benefits the big companies who have got us into this recession in the first place FG should go and shove their plan up their big asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I will most definitely be applying. Out of work 6 months. 18 years experience in media, and in a particular area that is dying a death at an alarming rate.

I have applied for so many different positions but because my work experience is limited to a specific field I have not been able to secure paid work.

I do volunteer work so I am active in my community, but it is not the same as getting up each day and doing something productive.

Yes, the extra 50e will probably only cover transport, but I am not doing it for an extra 50e.

Sure beats sittinga round all day feeling depressed and useless.

To anyone here thinking of going for an internship - good luck!!!

Thats my point, the money will only cover the transport cost for the week, better off looking for work for the whole week instead of slaving for these muppets working for feck all and not contributing tax.

For a lot of people the 50 euro they will be getting for the weeks work will be used up on the cost of the diesel/petrol that they will be putting into their cars to get into the work lol absolute shambles of an idea imo that only benefits the big companies who have got us into this recession in the first place FG should go and shove their plan up their big asshole.

If there is anyone out there like me, and I am sure there is, the chance to re-skill is an absolute joy. I've never been out of work - I think maybe a matter of months in 12 years and sitting around all day waiting for a job to crop up that I even have a chance of getting is soul destroying.

I'd happily spend the 50e on travel.

A lot of people may be happy to sit around all day and live hand to mouth, by I am not one of them. Will be interesting to see how many people apply... I'd say there will be plenty, especially new graduates.

Yes it was TV3, Microsoft, HP, Tesco, etc who got us into a recession! of course!

Serious amount of horsesh1te floating around this thread.

• Advertisement

Thats my point, the money will only cover the transport cost for the week, better off looking for work for the whole week instead of slaving for these muppets working for feck all and not contributing tax.

But it doesn't take long to look for jobs. Everything is online these days. It is a matter of spending half an hour each morning checking all the sites/papers.

Sitting around all day at home, using up electricity, bored out of my brain, watching my self esteem drop as each new month rolls in... it isn't a grand old life for a lot of people that have always worked, been able to afford a few luxuries instead of watching every penny and waiting for the bills to come in.

Advertisement