Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

robindch wrote: »
    IM]

Yes, what we need is re-education for the great unwashed, so they vote for whatever globalist the Daily Kos endorses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yes, what we need is re-education for the great unwashed, so they vote for whatever globalist the Daily Kos endorses.

Yes cos education can only mean brain washing...

Christy42 wrote: »
    Yes cos education can only mean brain washing...

What else would it be? "You dont agree with my political viewpoint, therefore you must be uneducated and need to be "correctly" educated". Or, "your education was clearly wrong, you need to be "re-educated"".

He assumes that everyone who supports Trump is either uneducated or in need of reeducation, which will of course, be the right type of education, to stop "ignorance"

tumblr_lmxlul7wvW1qgfo5ao1_500.png

The arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

What else would it be? "You dont agree with my political viewpoint, therefore you must be uneducated and need to be "correctly" educated". Or, "your education was clearly wrong, you need to be "re-educated"".

He assumes that everyone who supports Trump is either uneducated or in need of reeducation, which will of course, be the right type of education, to stop "ignorance"

tumblr_lmxlul7wvW1qgfo5ao1_500.png

The arrogance.

Education should be about broadening the mind and allowing people to make the fact checks themselves. The fact that one man can get so far on statements simply blaming Johnny Foreigner is worrying. Johnny Foreigner is not why wages have stagnated or why manufacturing jobs are going away.

A quick fact check will show you that most Mexicans are not rapists. Mexico will not pay for a wall for no reason. Women are capable of asking relevant questions whether or not they are on their period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

The arrogance.

Racism, xenophobia and sexism are the result of ignorance/lack of education. If a political viewpoint incorporates them, then that is not a valid view point but an expression of ignorance/lack of education.

• Advertisement

Lurkio wrote: »
    Racism, xenophobia and sexism are the result of ignorance/lack of education. If a political viewpoint incorporates them, then that is not a valid view point but an expression of ignorance/lack of education.

Not if you redefine "racism", "sexism" and "xenophobia" to suit your political viewpoint as has happened, its not the 1960's in the deep South, or Apartheid era SA. So screaming muh racism, muh sexism, muh xenophobia is pretty much meaningless in the West, especially when we have equality legislation in place, mandated "minority" representation and quotas. Its pretty much as anti all of those things as you can get barring full on cultural marxist brainwashing and thought policing from birth eradicating any dissent from the new orthodoxy(whatever that may be).

Christy42 wrote: »
    Education should be about broadening the mind and allowing people to make the fact checks themselves. The fact that one man can get so far on statements simply blaming Johnny Foreigner is worrying. Johnny Foreigner is not why wages have stagnated or why manufacturing jobs are going away.

A quick fact check will show you that most Mexicans are not rapists. Mexico will not pay for a wall for no reason. Women are capable of asking relevant questions whether or not they are on their period.

Only it literally is, Globalism.

Not if you redefine "racism", "sexism" and "xenophobia" to suit your political viewpoint as has happened, its not the 1960's in the deep South, or Apartheid era SA. So screaming muh racism, muh sexism, muh xenophobia is pretty much meaningless in the West, especially when we have equality legislation in place, mandated "minority" representation and quotas.

....various things are illegal, that doesn't mean that people don't still hold those views or want to put them into practice. Otherwise the equality legislation and other pieces of legislation wouldn't be nessecary.

Only it literally is, Globalism.

"globalism", "cultural Marxism", "Der ewige Jude".....dear o dear. I think most around here sign up for the "liberal agenda" though. Might be cross membership in some cases I suppose.

....various things are illegal, that doesn't mean that people don't still hold those views or want to put them into practice. Otherwise the equality legislation and other pieces of legislation wouldn't be nessecary.

Exactly my point. There is legislation in place, job done. We dont need Stalinist thought policing from birth just because some weakling isnt man enough to deal with opinions that differ from his own enlightened viewpoint.

• Advertisement

"globalism", "cultural Marxism", "Der ewige Jude".....dear o dear. I think most around here sign up for the "liberal agenda" though. Might be cross membership in some cases I suppose.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...screaming muh racism, muh sexism, muh xenophobia is pretty much meaningless in the West...

Says the straight white male. I guess if you don't have a problem, then there isn't a problem.

Exactly my point. There is legislation in place, job done. We dont need Stalinist thought policing from birth just because some weakling isnt man enough to deal with opinions that differ from his own enlightened viewpoint.

But nobody says you can't have opinions. It's just that some opinions are utterly unworthy of consideration, quite specifically the ones I referred to earlier. Their day is done - they were the dominant view for many centuries and now they are slowly sliding away as all such redundant things should. You don't open a conference on global warming by arguing for the first day over whether or not creationism is a fact, and you can't have a serious discussion on any subject where the notion of racial superiority, global jewish plotting or similar nonsense is to be treated as if it had a shred of validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Says the straight white male. I guess if you don't have a problem, then there isn't a problem.

Oscar, I don't agree with JP's assertion that "the job is done" regarding racial & gender issues. There are many issues which disproportionately affect women & minorities across the West due to the overhang of previous structures. Hopefully communication, dialogue, debate etc can move humanity forward on these issues which sadly still divide us. However, the fact that someone may be straight or white or indeed male (I don't actually recall JP revealing his sexuality btw) doesn't in & of itself mean that his ideas have less value. If JP were black & a lesbian would that make him less wrong? If the answer is no (as I believe) then his race, gender & sexuality are irrelevant.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Oscar, I don't agree with JP's assertion that "the job is done" regarding racial & gender issues. There are many issues which disproportionately affect women & minorities across the West due to the overhang of previous structures. Hopefully communication, dialogue, debate etc can move humanity forward on these issues which sadly still divide us. However, the fact that someone may be straight or white or indeed male (I don't actually recall JP revealing his sexuality btw) doesn't in & of itself mean that his ideas have less value. If JP were black & a lesbian would that make him less wrong? If the answer is no (as I believe) then his race, gender & sexuality are irrelevant.

That's not what hes saying by any stretch.

That's not what hes saying by any stretch.

So why mention (or indeed assume) someone's race gender or sexuality in that context if not to imply that their ideas have less value as a result? Like I said I don't agree with JP on these issues but the approach of saying "sure you're only a straight white male, what would you know?" is just a lazy ad hominem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

He assumes that everyone who supports Trump is either uneducated or in need of reeducation

Sorry, but if someone's voting for this guy...

...they're idiots. There's no kind way to put it. The man is a reality TV star for crying out loud, he's a failure of a businessman and a fraudster when it comes to some of his shadier ventures such as Trump University. So yes, people who support Trump are in painful need of an education.

But then I wonder what's the point in arguing this with someone who seems to communicate via South Park memes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Careful there oscarBravo, or he'll post a meme of a protestor shouting "But you're a white male!" to prove his point or something. You can't argue with the memes man, the memes are right, it's where I get all of my politics, from internet memes!

Links234 wrote: »

But then I wonder what's the point in arguing this with someone who seems to communicate via South Park memes.

To be fair, at least he's not posting Family Guy memes. South Park is actually a pretty decent show.

If JP were black & a lesbian would that make him less wrong?

My point, which I had hoped was glaringly obvious, is that if he was a black lesbian he wouldn't be claiming that racism and sexism are irrelevant because he'd know they're not.

• Advertisement

My point, which I had hoped was glaringly obvious, is that if he was a black lesbian he wouldn't be claiming that racism and sexism are irrelevant because he'd know they're not.

So you can automatically predict with 100% accuracy what someone's political views will be based on their race, gender & sexuality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Careful there oscarBravo, or he'll post a meme of a protestor shouting "But you're a white male!" to prove his point or something. You can't argue with the memes man, the memes are right, it's where I get all of my politics, from internet memes!

The dankiest memes. High energy centipede memes.

So you can automatically predict with 100% accuracy what someone's political views will be based on their race, gender & sexuality?

I don't recall saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its the other way round. OscarBravo can predict with 100% accuracy what someone's race, gender & sexuality are, based on their political views.

I don't recall saying that.
    if he was a black lesbian he wouldn't be claiming that racism and sexism are irrelevant because he'd know they're not

So you don't believe it possible that someone who was black & lesbian could believe that equality legislation had essentially solved the problems that they faced & that in the West at least complaining about racism & sexism was now irrelevant? Don't get me wrong here, I'm not stating that such a hypothetical person would not be mistaken, just that automatically assuming that they would take what you believe to be the correct point of view based purely on their race, gender & sexuality is essentially to reduce people to those components on a prejudicial basis rather than allowing them intellectual agency (which of course allows for that agency to lead to mistakes & misunderstandings).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sorry, but if someone's voting for this guy...

...they're idiots. There's no kind way to put it. The man is a reality TV star for crying out loud, he's a failure of a businessman and a fraudster when it comes to some of his shadier ventures such as Trump University. So yes, people who support Trump are in painful need of an education.

He brings up real issues though. Look, I think he's a joke but I wouldn't dismiss it all as idiots following an idiot, complacent and arrogant taunts like the above are just as bad. Reactice views cause reactions!

Basically people need to calm the feck down. Sanders and Trump share some views on globalism, low wages, banks and all that. Look for the commonality between those fears and address them, they may be coming at it from different sides but...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Because all black lesbians are part of some hive mind whereby they must be victims, all of the time, and are not allowed to have their own political viewpoints or indeed success in life(due to being held back by the white male), because what would that make them? Aunt Thelma's?

But that is his argument, literally. Laws against state and private companies discriminating, affirmative action, quota's, all not good enough, we need thought police(and more laws I assume) and my opinion is not valid because of my sex and my race.

Dank memes are where its at brah. Especially Trump ones, the dankest.

So you don't believe it possible that someone who was black & lesbian could believe that equality legislation had essentially solved the problems that they faced & that in the West at least complaining about racism & sexism was now irrelevant?
    I don't think it's likely. Do you?

Do you know many black people who believe that racism is a thing of the past?

Do you know many women who believe that sexism no longer exists?

Do you know many transgender people who live their lives in the happy, satisfying knowledge that nobody is going to take issue with how they express their identity?

I get that there are people who believe that racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia are all non-issues. There are also people who believe that climate change isn't something we should try to do anything about; there are people who believe the world is six thousand years old.

Some people are just wrong. It's not that they have differing opinions - this Internet-age idea that every opinion has equal validity is one of the worst memes that has ever taken hold - they're just measurably, objectively, provably wrong.

Now, do JP's opinions conclusively prove that he's a straight white male? Nope. But I'll cheerfully wager a large sum of money that he is, and I'd be curious how many of you arguing the point would give me odds.

• Advertisement

...my opinion is not valid because of my sex and my race.

I didn't say your opinion wasn't valid because of your sex and your race. It's telling when you can't argue with what I say, so you have to invent what you decided I must have meant and argue with that instead.

I pointed out that it's easy to have an opinion about how other people's problems don't matter, just because they're problems you don't have.

So no: it's not that your opinion doesn't matter because of your sex and your race. It's that your opinion is wrong, because you don't know what you're talking about. Ask some women whether sexism is a solved problem; ask some black people whether racism is a memory from the sixties; ask some transgender people whether or not their lives can be terrifying ordeals.

Or don't. Form your opinions from your straight, white, male ivory tower and pronounce them as enlightened truths. But you don't get to sulk when you're called on it.

Advertisement