Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bachmann is one of those peculiar American pentecostal protestants who get into politics on god's behalf, because they believe in dominion theology.
    They are normally obsessed with "the Holy Land" as having some special significance (along with the USA) in god's master plan.

Unlike the traditional RCC view which was negative towards jews and blamed them for killing Jesus, they exhibit a fawning admiration for zionism and Israel.

When in power, they devote as much of the US's resources to defending Israel's interests as to their own country.

They hate Iran and the Palestinians, because these are seen as the enemy of Israel. They won't say a word against Saudi Arabia though, even though no other country in the world has done more to export Salafist terrorism around the globe.

If they shifted their support from Saudi to Iran, the world would be a much safer place, but in their worldview, they can't see that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Small beer in the greater scheme of things, but Trump licensed his name to a multilevel vitamin-related marketing scam, pretended to be fully onboard, then dropped it like a hot potato when the license expired:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/23/the-trump-network-sought-to-make-people-rich-but-left-behind-disappointment/

Oh, my god, people cried when they heard it was him,” says Jenna Knudsen, who worked as a high-ranking saleswoman for Ideal Health at the time. “They cried and looked at each other and said, ‘We’re going to be millionaires!’ ” Knudsen and her colleagues sold customized vitamins and other health products as part of a controversial business model known as multilevel marketing, in which companies pay salespeople commissions for selling products and recruiting more representatives.
    Can't say I feel much sympathy for salespeople who don't make as much money selling crap as they thought they were going to.

recedite wrote: »
    Can't say I feel much sympathy for salespeople who don't make as much money selling crap as they thought they were going to.
    While it might undermine the forum's libertarians' belief in a continuously and infinitely rational public, unfortunately, reality suggests there are, in fact, a lot of people out there who are unable, emotionally or intellectually, to make rational decisions about their own future.

Charlatans like Trump make a good living from deceiving them, hence the occasional law enacted to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

robindch wrote: »
    While it might undermine the forum's libertarians' belief in a continuously and infinitely rational public, unfortunately, reality suggests there are, in fact, a lot of people out there who are unable, emotionally or intellectually, to make rational decisions about their own future.

Charlatans like Trump make a good living from deceiving them, hence the occasional law enacted to protect them.
    I dont think you can accuse Trump in this one, he's guilty of being a rapacious capitalist and leveraging his brand/name to maximise revenue, but he didnt actually run the "company".

I dont suppose you've heard of Herbalife? Probably the biggest and most successful of the "MLM" aka ponzi/pyramid schemes ever. Plenty of big wheel stockmarket guys are invested heavily in its success, eg George Soros. MLM aka ponzi companies are mainstream, now if Trump the politician was using his leverage as a political figure to sell whatever crap product the MLM company was using for their scam, you could rightfully pin it on him. As it is, he was just engaging in regular everyday capitalism.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    a lot of people out there who are unable, emotionally or intellectually, to make rational decisions about their own future..
    Yes, but the "duty of care" is less for sales professionals and investors than it is for the ordinary public who might be buying the products. I know that investors and professionals are people too, but they are expected to be a bit more savvy than the ordinary public when it comes to business decisions.

The Washington Post article seems to be current but refers back to 2009. It smacks of mudslinging IMO. They must be getting desperate if that's the only "mud" they can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hey, they've arrested Trump's campaign manager for assault on a Breitbart reporter. Amusing at so many levels.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/trump-campaign-manager-charged-with-simple-battery/index.html

As for stuff about Trump, if he's the nominee, just wait. Taxes, anyone? 2 ex-wives? A third one that poses nude for GQ? All great fodder for the reality TV that's this years election. Just need Trump to recruit reality star Tila Tequila to be a spokesdroid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

If Trump gets elected, which he won't, he'll probably be the catalyst for the largest bipartisan action in congress in a long time - his impeachment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not specifically Trump, but very much dealing with right wing misinformation from the republic side using think tanks and the media

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3771626/

Trailer

Just watching it this evening,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just watching it this evening,
    Any good? Required watching for Popette, I'd have thought :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

That looks interesting, where can I see it? Is it available online?

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Delirium wrote: »

With it being her I could very well believe that there were no mistakes there.

The gloves seem to be coming off in the Republican party with the former Speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner, calling Ted Cruz - wait for it - "Lucifer in the flesh":

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36163188

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Trump is getting all the headlines but I find Cruz way more scary prospect. Trump doesn't believe half of the nonsense he is saying but Cruz does. I would guess that between two of them Trump is the saner option.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

meeeeh wrote: »
    ...Trump is the saner option.

I never thought I'd live to see a universe where that phrase makes sense in any sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Trump did really well last night and over the previous months. He has got to receive a lot of support from the delegates after all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ted Cruz is the far scarier option. Even if Trump does believe half the **** he says, it's still all bluster and hot air.

Trump attracts the frightened voter why do so many people find that hard to believe?

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Trump attracts the frightened voter why do so many people find that hard to believe?

I've heard that one a few times now. When did Americans get so scared that their most important decisions are informed by fear rather than logic or reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Probably the Red Scare? :pac:

Americas always seem to lurch from one extreme position to another. They either go for full on intervention or else total isolation. The never stop and reassess the world and their place in the world. Reorganise their efforts towards diplomacy and cooperating with long lost allies and prevent a lot of the large scale abuses that occur across the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

Probably the Red Scare? :pac:

It seemed to be implied it was more brown this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's people who are disillusioned with official politics. Trump and Sanders are the closes to independents Americans will get. (And how many independents were elected in Ireland). The professionals in new industries might not be affected but there is a whole cohort of people who used to matter but are now languishing in dying industries. Trump might be the wrong answer but he is also the only one who speaks to that group of people. I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell to win against Hilary but that doesn't mean issues his supporters face are any less valid. And neither they should be just dismissed as dumb white trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've heard that one a few times now. When did Americans get so scared that their most important decisions are informed by fear rather than logic or reason?

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

double post

This is what happens when your cuckservative media empire has been decimated by Donald Trump

Counting down the days until Cruz is BTFO and Beck finally becomes fully unhinged.

...cuckservative....

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

This is what happens when your cuckservative media empire has............

What sad pit in the internet did you drag that one from?

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    What?
    Its the insult/label du jure of 2016, for those who use nationalism/conservatism as a badge of convenience for their true political beliefs, which in Glenn Becks case, are religious mania/zionism, far more cutting then the usual RINO(Republican in name only). Essentially a sham conservative.

Advertisement